Code of Conduct

Thread: New West

Default New West

I got my bottle of Aramis New West Skinscent today.

I have a hard time describing it. But all you guys who sang it's praises were correct. It's something very different from most scents, but certainly doesn't have a dated feel or dated style about it, like many of the older and discontinued scents have.

And as a big plus, it has excellent longevity.

I'm not much of a fan of most scents classified in the H&R Charts as leathery chypres. The only one I ever liked a lot was Sung Homme. Oddly enough, this one appears just two entries directly underneath it in the charts.
    Renato

Default Re: New West

I bought a bottle of this blind and then sold it soon after. The topnotes definitely had something salty and sea-like. But that vanished within probably a minute or two. After that, the word that comes to mind is sage. To me it smelled very dry, and herbal, almost like kitchen herbs but kitchen herbs still in the wild. And there is stayed. I think it reminded me of Smalto Pour Homme. It just wasn't my thing. If the topnote had stayed though, I think it would have kept my interest and I might have held onto the bottle. If you like sage, and dry, almost dusty, herbal types of scents, it's worth seeking out a bottle.

(As an aside, this is sort of what I expected Lonestar Memories to smell like, this with the addition of the leather note. I was surprised that LM wasn't more like this actually, with the dusty sage notes that make me think of the southwestern US.)

I absolutely adore New West. It's so unique, and very uplifting. They really ought to start selling it here in the UK again.
    My Current Top 5: Terre d'Hermčs | Terre de Bois by Miller Harris | Isfarkand by Ormonde Jayne | Brit for Men by Burberry | Grapefruit by Jo Malone

Wardrobe / Reviews

The closest thing I can think of to compare New West with is a more obscure and discontinued offering- Sud Est.

Both are very herbal, but I prefer New West as it is a bit sweeter and more approachable.

New West has become as fast favorite of mine- an envigorating choice after a shower. It also does great year round. Neither too sweet for summer, nor too fresh and light for winter.

IMHO, the best of the Aramis line.

New West is "distinctly" Aramis. To my nose, it has much in common with Tuscany and Forte AND the classic Havana. I bought a new bottle off ebay for five bucks--best...score...ever. Love it.

Quote Originally Posted by robyogi
    I bought a bottle of this blind and then sold it soon after. The topnotes definitely had something salty and sea-like. But that vanished within probably a minute or two. After that, the word that comes to mind is sage. To me it smelled very dry, and herbal, almost like kitchen herbs but kitchen herbs still in the wild. And there is stayed. I think it reminded me of Smalto Pour Homme. It just wasn't my thing. If the topnote had stayed though, I think it would have kept my interest and I might have held onto the bottle. If you like sage, and dry, almost dusty, herbal types of scents, it's worth seeking out a bottle.
    Interesting your description of "dry" and "dusty" - doesn't really seem apt for a scent that many describe as watery. Michael Edwards has it as "Rich Water".

But truth be told, though I really like it, I wouldn't describe it as watery either.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Dayknight
    The closest thing I can think of to compare New West with is a more obscure and discontinued offering- Sud Est.

Both are very herbal, but I prefer New West as it is a bit sweeter and more approachable.

New West has become as fast favorite of mine- an envigorating choice after a shower. It also does great year round. Neither too sweet for summer, nor too fresh and light for winter.

IMHO, the best of the Aramis line.
    My first thought on this scent was that it was an all year round one too. Which now makes me associate it with Gucci Rush, the other odd scent I have which is an all year round one for reasons that I can't quite fathom.
    Renato

I can't help but wonder - would this scent still be around if it wasn't for the gaudy yellow and blue bottle?
    Would a more sophisticated bottle have given it a better chance of survival?
    Renato

Like most have already noted I never thought of New West as even the slightest bit watery or marine but more of an arid and dusty tribute to the western deserts. Having said that, the homely little blue & yellow cask-like bottle has always reminded me of the international signal flag for kilo which when used alone means, "desire to communicate".

Quote Originally Posted by noirwest
    Like most have already noted I never thought of New West as even the slightest bit watery or marine but more of an arid and dusty tribute to the western deserts. Having said that, the homely little blue & yellow cask-like bottle has always reminded me of the international signal flag for kilo which when used alone means, "desire to communicate".
    I seem to learn something totally new and unexpected here every day of late.
    Thanks,
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Renato
    ... I'm not much of a fan of most scents classified in the H&R Charts as leathery chypres. The only one I ever liked a lot was Sung Homme. Oddly enough, this one appears just two entries directly underneath it in the charts. Renato
    I only keep samples of what I liked when I got them. So this I kept but never bought, just as a side note. I am glad to see someone else consulting the HR charts on and off! I more and more miss newer frags on them, at least my edition (web) ends with perfumes 2001. Although I do not fully understand them, they give me a better idea about colognes listed than any pyramid of notes.
    For educational purposes I am presently attempting to physically sort my frags after the H&R masculine chart right now. The brown section for leathery chypres is a bit of a myth. Fragrances listed there can be so different from each other that I wonder what the common denominator is. I have no problems with other sections, like citrus and fresh.
    If it does not work out, I will re-sort them. Have you found a good system to do that? I also record them in a database but have not decided on a 'similar frag' key yet.
    Last edited by narcus; 31st August 2006 at 10:35 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Quote Originally Posted by narcus
    I only keep samples of what I liked when I got them. So this I kept but never bought, just as a side note. I am glad to see someone else consulting the HR charts on and off! I more and more miss newer frags on them, at least my edition (web) ends with perfumes 2001. Although I do not fully understand them, they give me a better idea about colognes listed than any pyramid of notes.
    For educational purposes I am presently attempting to physically sort my frags after the H&R masculine chart right now. The brown section for leathery chypres is a bit of a myth. Fragrances listed there can be so different from each other that I wonder what the common denominator is. I have no problems with other sections, like citrus and fresh.
    If it does not work out, I will re-sort them. Have you found a good system to do that? I also record them in a database but have not decided on a 'similar frag' key yet.
    Hi fellow Classifier,
    There are obviously a few systems around and each seems to have at least one aspect that rings very true for me.

There are certain scents I am an absolute sucker for - I sniff them compulsively, but when I buy them I don't actually wear them much. They're all in the H&R Charts' ambery fougere section.

There are certain scents I never would have bought at first smell - they were nearly all in the leathery chypre section - despite it's diversity. I forced myself to buy and wear them, because up till that stage, I was mainly buying what turned out to be aromatic fougeres and woody fougeres in the H&R charts.

The classification of woody-spicy in Perfume World (which are somewhat scatted across the H&R charts) could just as easily be renamed "Renato's Scents that smell good, but don't last all that long".

Michael Edwards does a great job of lumping the mossy green scents together (e.g Hugo Dark Blue, 212, Fahrenheit) in a manner which makes more sense to me than do the H&R charts.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Renato
    Hi fellow Classifier,
    ......Michael Edwards does a great job of lumping the mossy green scents together (e.g Hugo Dark Blue, 212, Fahrenheit) in a manner which makes more sense to me than do the H&R charts.
    Renato
    Oh, thanks for all of your comment! So you do a similar thing - I am pleased to hear that. I'll look at the chart anew after I have finished my distribution. My stuff spreads everywhere except in 'aquatic'. I may come back on this.
    Now on Edwards - does he allow you to look at details? There is one webtrader who allows to look at the ME directore (one frag at a time) but I forgot who that was. Are the mossy green scents open for everybody to look at? Generally his data are his capital to derive an income from, so I suppose he charges for material information, doesn't he?
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Quote Originally Posted by narcus
    Oh, thanks for all of your comment! So you do a similar thing - I am pleased to hear that. I'll look at the chart anew after I have finished my distribution. My stuff spreads everywhere except in 'aquatic'. I may come back on this.
    Now on Edwards - does he allow you to look at details? There is one webtrader who allows to look at the ME directore (one frag at a time) but I forgot who that was. Are the mossy green scents open for everybody to look at? Generally his data are his capital to derive an income from, so I suppose he charges for material information, doesn't he?
    No, he doesn't as far as I know - unless you buy his book.

But with some of the various fragrance suggestors he's had, it was pretty easy to work out his classification - you input 212, Emporio Armani, Kiton, Grey Flannel, Hugo Dark Blue and they all led to the exact same recommendations of what were mossy scents.

You're right. The PerfumeWorld and OsMoz classifications of the aquatic scent makes more sense at times than H&Rs chypre fresh.

Clearly H&R are focusing on composition, whereas other systems also focus on a particular ingredients or components (which, come to think of it, so do H&R with their focus on amber in the fougere and oriental category).
    Renato

Q. What do New West and Aramis have in common?

A. Super lasting power.

I'd never have though at first application that New West would be hanging around my clothes so strongly on the next day.
    Renato

Basenotes Institution

I'm a little late to this thread - I love New West.

I remember Luca Turin mentioned that New West was one of the first fragrances that utilized Calone. To quote the online article:

'In August 1966, chemists at the drug giant Pfizer filed a patent for a strange molecule that looked like a tranquilizer (distantly related to Valium) and smelled like nothing on earth, or “melon” as they prosaically described it. Pfizer had bought the venerable Grasse firm of Camilli Albert Laloue two years earlier, so they handed the beast over to their perfumed friends who christened it Calone after the firm’s initials. There it slept for twenty years, while the patent ran out. Then in 1989 perfumer Yves Tanguy understood that the time for watery notes had come and composed New West. Within three years Escape, Kenzo Homme and Eau d’Issey had put Calone at the forefront of perfumery, where it still is. I received an exceptionally pure sample from an Italian manufacturer yesterday. Open the cardboard box, and you smell it already. Open the plastic bag containing the sealed plastic bottle, and you smell it still, but no stronger. Open the bottle, and everyone on the block smells it, but still quiet. This is the olfactory equivalent of a rumour, a whisper that spreads far and wide without ever being spoken out loud. What does it smell of ? No matter: what matters is that it is distance-independent, like light through a transparent medium, like a deity seeing through perfume’s soul. '

There is simply nothing IMO like New West. I wore it as a junior high kid and it always reminded me of the beach at California, in the summer - the smell of sand, surfboards, wet swimming trunks and sunshine.

Perhaps I'll buy a mini of it for my wardrobe...for old times sake.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 21st December 2007 at 07:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I'm a little late to this thread - I love New West.
    Just a little late, but extremely informative none-the-less.
    All that stuff about Calone was something I had never heard of before.
    I've sometimes wondered what it was that fascinated my nose in New West, Kenzo Homme, Issey and to a lesser extent in Escape.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    I can't help but wonder - would this scent still be around if it wasn't for the gaudy yellow and blue bottle?
    Would a more sophisticated bottle have given it a better chance of survival?
    Renato
    New West is still available. Nordstrom's has had it on its shelves for several years now.

Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    New West is still available. Nordstrom's has had it on its shelves for several years now.
    Hi Griff,
    At the time I started this thread over a year ago, New West wasn't then available in Australian stores, and it still hasn't become available here yet. I recollect that Grant started a campaign 5 or 6 years ago to get New West back after it had disappeared.

Consider yourself lucky to have it available in your area.

It's odd how Aramis seem to keep distribution of their various scents so limited. Aramis itself was a really big seller in Australia up till recent times. But Aramis 900 and Aramis Devin I haven't seen here for over 7 years, yet they were fairly commonly available in many European cities that I visited recently.
    Renato

It's odd how Aramis seem to keep distribution of their various scents so limited. Aramis itself was a really big seller in Australia up till recent times. But Aramis 900 and Aramis Devin I haven't seen here for over 7 years, yet they were fairly commonly available in many European cities that I visited recently.
    Renato
    It is odd how corps keep some of their merchandise out of specific markets. I have heard that Havana is now only available in South America. And go figure the whole Serge Lutens thing with "exclusive" line only available in Europe.

If anyone outside of the US (but not in Germany) wants a bottle of New West or Devin, let me know in a PM and I will go buy it at Nordy's and ship it to you at cost and shipping.

Griff

I love this juice, its the ultimate reminiscent of 80's.
    I just love it,when brings to me so many renemberingswhen I use it.
    Read my perfume reviews at: http://perfumenoparatodos.blogspot.com/

Digital art portfolio: www.dreamlandpostcards.com

Hi Griff,
    At the time I started this thread over a year ago, New West wasn't then available in Australian stores, and it still hasn't become available here yet. I recollect that Grant started a campaign 5 or 6 years ago to get New West back after it had disappeared.

Renato

That is so odd Renato! For most of the classic of the Aramis collection (Devin, New West, JHL, Tuscany) are all made in England or Switzerland stamped on the bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by scentimus View Post
    That is so odd Renato! For most of the classic of the Aramis collection (Devin, New West, JHL, Tuscany) are all made in England or Switzerland stamped on the bottle.
    It is odd indeed. Tuscany is regularly sold here, but with Aramis being so popular and rarely being greatly discounted, I'd have thought they would have tried to capitalize on that name with the other scents before people got tired of Aramis, as Joop have been doing (albeit with less interesting scents than the Aramis ones).
    Renato