Code of Conduct

Default Sud Est, Baime & Virgilio

I've recently decided to investigate herbal-based frags, and am hoping that at least one will suit my tastes. I've already received a decant of Virgilio (thanks Gerald) and am awaiting a full bottle of Sud Est and a sample of Baime. So far, Virgilio has failed to win me over (it has that pungent '80s vibe going on that hinders my appreciation of it). However, I'm hoping the other two will be better (since SE was released in 1995 and B in 2000).

Does anyone have any opinions on these (especially for Baime and Virgilio)?

Default Re: Sud Est, Baime & Virgilio

I very much enjoy Baime and normally utilize it in cooler weather (what passes for nippy in these here parts anyway).......

....It's a little fruity, with basil and lavender.... ramping down to sandalwood, basil and vetiver. Always maintaining a green edge. Very savory.....

It's a touchy scent, and I know of very few whom are on the fence with regard to desirability.......

......There are two or three Diptyques that light my fire, but Virgilio is not among them. Find it a little too floral and green.......It does have many fans however......

Had Sud Est not long ago and just burned out on it. Reminded me of Polo with an extra shot of herbs. Not bad in the least, but I prefer the original Romeo Gigli.........
    Last edited by John.com; 30th August 2006 at 10:49 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Haven't smelled Baïmé. I agree with you about Virigilio. Sud Est is one of my favorites. I thought it was discontinued. Where did you find it, if I might ask?
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

I've got a bottle of Sud Est coming, so I'd love to compare impressions.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Well, I just received my bottle of Sud Est today and compared it against Virgilio. I've now realised just how harsh Virgilio really is, so there's no competition there.

Now I have to pull Virgilio out and wear it around some. I've really liked it before, after that usual crash-bang Diptyque-style opening.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

I've never smellled Sud Est, but Virgilio and Baime are both heavy on the basil, Virgilio being more harsh (if you don't like it) or bracing (if you do). I prefer Baime, as I find it to be a superior blend, but I have Virgilio and enjoy wearing it, more so in cooler weather and on days when I will be outdoors and dressed casually. Baime is more refined and seems to work better on warmer days.

So far, both Sud Est and Virgilio have proved to be disappointing (the former too dated for my tastes and the latter too harsh). My hopes are now pinned on Baime. If the sample does nothing for me, I'll leave herbal frags well alone in future (along with leather and tea based scents).

Basenotes Institution

I got my bottle of Baime yesterday (from a Basenoter)

Wow - I thought I'd smelled basil before in fragrances but this one takes the cake. The basil opening is so realistic of torn basil leaves, it positively Demter-ish. What I love about it, is how subtle and soft (transparent) the herbal notes are. Not dry. Not bright. Very hushed yet with an extremely natural pungency to them. The drydown gets a little 'dirty' on my skin (no problem with dirty, for me, I love dirt notes in my scents) and in this part it reminded me mostly of standing water with basil leaves inside.

This scent sounds like it would wear wonderfully in the full outdoor, sunny weather. I also read some comments that mentioned it being good in cooler weather (?). In South Florida the heat/humidity is just fine for a heavy application of Baime.

MPG is ever-so-slowly garnering lots of my attention, for its scents.

A few months ago, I actually tried once again to find something herbal for myself. I nearly found exactly what I was looking for in MPG's Grain de Plaisir. The opening was amazing - far more appealing than Baime. Unfortunately, the drydown was disappointing to say the least. I've now given up on finding something of this ilk.
    Last edited by Trebor; 7th September 2007 at 05:34 PM.

After going through two sample vials of the stuff, I just sprung for a FB of Baime (it's en route at the moment). Mike describes it better than I could. (I'd just add that I get a clear thyme note, which brings back memories of a favorite place of mine -- a field in rural New England, full of wild thyme, where I would hang out with friends and gaze at the stars...)

Virgilio I like less. It has a sharp, flower-stem note that's present from the start and throws things out of balance, at least on my skin. (The same note spoils L'ombre dans L'eau for me; and it would spoil L'eau trois for me, if that one wasn't already spoiled by excessive celery.)

No experience with Sud Est.

Finally, I've had a love-hate relationship with CSP's Barbier des Isles. Also very green, and rather similar to Virgilio. It's supposed to have a woodier drydown, but it remains green to my nose. But my opinion on this one has settled more on the hate side recently: there's a strong clove note that just doesn't sit right in the mix for me. However, this might not bother you -- worth a test if you like Virgilio.
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

For me, Virgilio's herbs take on a earthy, musc-like vibe. There is something beyond the "herb" about it.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 7th September 2007 at 11:17 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSC View Post
    After going through two sample vials of the stuff, I just sprung for a FB of Baime (it's en route at the moment). Mike describes it better than I could. (I'd just add that I get a clear thyme note, which brings back memories of a favorite place of mine -- a field in rural New England, full of wild thyme, where I would hang out with friends and gaze at the stars...)
    Wow, the smell of a field of thyme - what a lovely olfactory memory. I've never smelled thyme in the ground (I guess I can imagine a little what it smells like...) but perhaps this is what gives Baime that depth it has, after the initial basil top notes. Good stuff.

Love Virgilio.
    Last edited by pluran; 27th August 2011 at 11:13 PM.

Well, I know nothing about Baime & Virgilio, but I am hoarding my 3/4 full bottle of Sud Est. This stuff is, as someone mentioned, similar to Polo. I read somewhere that you have to let it settle for a while. I find that it really starts to change and get mellow, about 1/2 hour into the drydown.

IMO this is a really nice 80's-style fragrance, and I'm saddened by the fact that it is discontinued.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    A few months ago, I actually tried once again to find something herbal for myself. I nearly found exactly what I was looking for in MPG's Grain de Plaisir. The opening was amazing - far more appealing than Baime. Unfortunately, the drydown was disappointing to say the least. I've now given up on finding something of this ilk.
    I wouldn't give up that easily! If you like the opening of Grain de Plaisir, have you tried Ricci's Phileas? It is just as unique and unforgettable. Unfortunately, freshness is now becoming an issue with this discontinued gem.

My top herbal recommendation is my top sleeper rec and also a top-10 candidate for me: Spazio Krizia Uomo. This is simply an amazing scent, with excellent complexity, development, and longevity. I've been stockpiling this scent, which can be worn anytime of year. The olfactory pyramid is as follows (scentdirect.com)

Topnotes

Midnotes

Basenotes

Finally, Biagiotti Uomo is also a very nice herbal fragrance, sporting rosemary, coriander, and tarragon.
    Last edited by wicozani; 10th September 2007 at 08:09 PM.

Sud Est is the surest way to go if budget is even a slight consideration -- it's one of the best buys out there. (While it's still available, that is.)

Another good and VERY reasonable herbal scent is the marjoram one that Dana used to make in its Herbissimo line. I think this little drugstore cheapie/hidden gem may still be available, if only on the secondary/discontinued market.

Also, don't rule out Aromatics Elixir by Clinique, nor Aramis 900. (You'd be amazed how many men can pull off the heady but wonderful Aromatics Elixir.)
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 11th September 2007 at 01:03 AM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy View Post

Also, don't rule out Aromatics Elixir by Clinique... (You'd be amazed how many men can pull off the heady but wonderful Aromatics Elixir.)
    I agree with this 105%. Definitely.

Well, I've sampled Baime and Sud Est now, though never Virgilio. Some have said Baime is like a Greek salad, whereas I think the "exotic fruits" note/accord is what's bothering me. It just doesn't seem to separate out enough on the drydown, and the "smear" that I get is not especially pleasant, though not really irritating either. Sud Est reminded me of Pino Silvestre at first, with a noticeable pine-like note. Then, for a couple hours perhaps, it went into a New West for Him direction (could it be some calone?). There wasn't enough separation in this one either, and it was a bit irritating, because of whatever was causing me to perceive it as 'synthetic."

Instead, I prefer Green Jeans and the original Nino Cerruti men's frag, which has a clear thyme note for a long time, during the drydown. Roadster is good for an herbal mint as well. I've also got Polo Crest and the original Red for Men by GBH, so I think I'm set with my herbal frag desires at this point. As I told one BNer the other day, be careful what you wish for in a frag !
    Last edited by Bigsly; 27th August 2011 at 11:36 PM.

With Baime I definitely get that "green salad" vibe.

This thread made the rounds before I joined. I've enjoyed seeing these comments.
    I love herbal styles of scent, particularly when they are dry, even bitter.
    Today I'm wearing Virgilio. I like it a lot. It is meant to evoke a classic Latin landscape of open fields and rolling hills. To me, it does just that. I find that it has a lot of hay- or grass-like notes, which merge well with the herbs. Definitely conveys the impression of a field on a sunny day. I find it charming from the get-go, I don't find anything harsh or clangy about it. To my nose tarragon and thyme (rather than basil) are the dominant features. I think it is a beautiful scent.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Most people seem to comment on the herbal opening of Virgilio. While I enjoy the entirety of the Virgilio experience, I find the drydown to be especially nice.

Today I tried MPG's Baime. I like it far more than I remember from when I wrote my review. I've learned about fragrances and will revise my notes. Here, I say that the lavender opening and subsequent herbal notes put this pretty close to a classic fougere style. The lavender is done in a soft floral style and combines well with the jasmine. Minty-herbal green notes appear and the scent becomes very soft and even a bit soapy. Having just done Virgilio I can see a LOT of resemblance between the two at this point. They both have a very charming, hay-like quality. I'd say Baime is softer and more rounded; Virgilio is more brisk and herbal. I don't find much in the way of fresh basil in either one, certainly on my skin it is not prominent. But Baime is a very nice scent indeed -- though so similar in its development to Virgilio that it is debatable whether one should have both.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Yes, the floral lavender is strong in Baime. I think that this, along with the "exotic fruits" note, is why I dislike it. It's well done, but I just don't like the scent itself. However, some day I might, as has been the case with a few frags I never thought I could enjoy.

Yesterday I wore Gigli's Sud Est. This is the most "old-school" of the three -- it has prominent spicy/barbershop notes, a touch of sweetness, a hint of something leathery. In other words, all the attributes of a typically masculine-oriented style. Its vibe puts it rather near Gucci Nobile.
    In my opinion, the spicy notes distinguish Sud Est from Virgilio or Baime. The herbal notes are similar among the three, though in Sud Est there is also bay leaf (laurel) which adds a dusky, earthy aspect.
    odysseusm