Code of Conduct

Question Similar To Kouros But Minus The....

I enjoy smelling Kouros and I like it a lot. But I can't get around the Urinal Cake notes in it. Today I was on the Tube and this lady was sitting next to me, she had on a fragrance that was VERY similar to Kouros but was missing the Urinal Cake notes it was also richer in the moss part. I was going to ask her what it was she had on but before I could she left the train.

I did once smell Kouros on a guy a few weeks ago, and I noticed the public restroom smell by the sillage, and I could not bring my self to wearing it.

So is their anything out their that smells like Kouros? I know of Orange Spice, which talked about.
    Last edited by incedal; 31st August 2006 at 01:00 PM.
    "...but I also can't prove that mushrooms could not be intergalactic spaceships spying on us." Daniel C. Dennett

Top 5
    Heritage 2. Antaeus3.Kouros 4. Drakkar Noir 5. Montana PDH

Serpent

Default Re: Similer To Kouros But Minus The....

Coriolan reminds me of Kouros but without the heavy ammonia-like ("urine") notes.

As one poster noted in another thread, calling the offenisve notes in Kouros "urinal cake" notes is a misnomer. Urinal cakes are marked by bright, flowery smells that are meant to cover the offensive smells that most posters who object to the smell of Kouros complain about. They are meant to deodorize.
    Last edited by Serpent; 31st August 2006 at 12:22 AM.

Incedal, I find that Heritage by Gurlain is similar. Not identical, but similar enough for me to think recently that a friend who had Kouros on was wearing Heritage. I doubt this woman was wearing Heritage, but it might be worth a try if you're in the market for an alternative.

Post Thanks / Like

Never heard this seconded by anyone else, but I find Miller Harris FdT and Czech & Speake Neroli to share something that recalls Kouros.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dante
    Incedal, I find that Heritage by Gurlain is similar. Not identical, but similar enough for me to think recently that a friend who had Kouros on was wearing Heritage. I doubt this woman was wearing Heritage, but it might be worth a try if you're in the market for an alternative.
    If Heritage is close in your opinion then I also suggest Boucheron Jaipur pour homme, and Tiffany for Men. The lady may have been wearing Boucheron Initial or Organza Indecence which are both similar to Heritage.

Personally, I wish to strongly recommend Vivienne Westwood's Boudoir which I mentally dub the 'female Kouros'. Even though more floral it has that distinct Kouros 'animalic' accord much praised by its admirers. I wear many men's perfumes and find that this is much more unisex then packaged.

Lasts weeks like Kouros as well!
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

nearfantastica

She might have been wearing Kingdom... I find it contains a Kouros-esque note, but sweetens it up. Ted Lapidus <old school> for men, also reminds me of Kouros..also with a sweeter note... and can be found for pretty cheap...

a.

Serpent

Quote Originally Posted by nearfantastica
    She might have been wearing Kingdom... I find it contains a Kouros-esque note, but sweetens it up.
    Dude, I ought to kick your a**. Equating my beloved Kingdom to that YSL white-bottled nightmare...

Default Re: Similar To Kouros But Minus The....

Imo Kouros is quite much based on Paco Rabanne PH. It is indeed a Kouros` more calm and understated elder brother.

Post Thanks / Like

You mentioned Orange Spice but then asked for more suggestions. Have you tried Orange Spice? I really think that this is going to be your best option. It is really nice. Definately different than Kouros, but shares one particular accord that makes it feel "Kourosy". One thing we'll never know though- does it have the magical Kouros sex appeal? I wore Kouros clubbing last night and let's just say that the poor kids wearings aquatics (and there were quite a few) got their asses kicked. Though there were no verbal compliments, I could tell it was doin' it's thing. Tons of good (non-verbal) responses.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PigeonMurderer
    Imo Kouros is quite much based on Paco Rabanne PH. It is indeed a Kouros` more calm and understated elder brother.
    Sorry, but I fail to see any resemblance. I actually made a point of smelling Kouros on two occasions in the last week, for the first time in years, and it definitely (sorry) smells of urinal. The combination of the lemony-fragrant cake and the acrid wee against a porcelain and drain background.

I didn't even need to spray it onto a card. Just holding the tester in front of my face was enough to get a serious blast of the stuff, I could detect it very strongly.

Personally I don't know anything "similar" to this. I would not wear it myself, but full respect to those who do!
    My Current Top 5: Terre d'Hermès | Terre de Bois by Miller Harris | Isfarkand by Ormonde Jayne | Brit for Men by Burberry | Grapefruit by Jo Malone

Wardrobe / Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by GenuineImitationLife
    Sorry, but I fail to see any resemblance. I actually made a point of smelling Kouros on two occasions in the last week, for the first time in years, and it definitely (sorry) smells of urinal. The combination of the lemony-fragrant cake and the acrid wee against a porcelain and drain background.

I didn't even need to spray it onto a card. Just holding the tester in front of my face was enough to get a serious blast of the stuff, I could detect it very strongly.

Personally I don't know anything "similar" to this. I would not wear it myself, but full respect to those who do!
    I`ve always thought that Paco was kind of an ansestor of Kouros: they both are certainly green, rich Fougere blends with distinctive honey notes.
    While Paco is more fresh, soapy and mossy, in some point Kouros get`s twisted and gets these animalic notes in the mix. It`s civet, I`m quite sure.
    Kouros also has quite huge amount aldehydes in it, which especially makes the opening very sharp.

Of course there are great differences between the two, but I still very much stick to my opinion in a certain resemblance.

But as always, it is so great we receive these smellies a bit (or much) differently.

Serpent

I can see some of the Paco Rabanne pour Homme/Kouros resemblance. Paco Rabanne has that bracing evergreen/sharp herbal thing going on that is a part of Kouros. I think Kouros is a far more complex scent is all, but I don't think the comparison is out there.

Not like, say, Kingdom and Kouros...

If we're talking Creeds then I always thought Baie de Genievre smelled more like Kouros than Orange Spice.

Post Thanks / Like

May I suggest Givenchy Gentleman?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Serpent
    I can see some of the Paco Rabanne pour Homme/Kouros resemblance. Paco Rabanne has that bracing evergreen/sharp herbal thing going on that is a part of Kouros. I think Kouros is a far more complex scent is all, but I don't think the comparison is out there.

Not like, say, Kingdom and Kouros...
    OK, I did a reassessment of Paco Rabanne PH and Kouros. There is a bit of similarity in terms of the sharpness and tang that comes across, as well as what you have said about the evergreen/herbal. but they also have some notable differences. The PH is far more soapy and has some lavender and honey in there. The Kouros to my nose -- really sorry again if this is controversial -- is the exact replica of a (reasonably clean and well-maintained) men's urinal with lemony cakes in the drain. Even the bottle looks like a urinal strangely enough. Hmmm..........

As for Kouros being more complex, well not sure about that. You may be right, but I find lots of complexity in PH also. the main thing is I can wear PH, even to work (and it gives powerful sillage too), but no way could I dare to wear Kouros. As I said before, full respect to those who do enjoy it.
    My Current Top 5: Terre d'Hermès | Terre de Bois by Miller Harris | Isfarkand by Ormonde Jayne | Brit for Men by Burberry | Grapefruit by Jo Malone

Wardrobe / Reviews

Clean Ultimate by Dlish perhaps,
    fresh clean soapiness followed by a white musk/vanilla/leather - base

And Calvin by CK smells like orange peel/cinnamon remaining very fresh

you can also try a single note Neroli for that 'fresh linen' feel
    Last edited by perfectscent; 3rd September 2006 at 03:42 PM.