Code of Conduct

Default Rumour: New Chanel

hey everybody, it's been 2 different persons from Prada and Dior who asked me if I knew something about the new feminine fragrance from Chanel, due to be released...next month! It seems Chanel wants to launch a fragrance as a huge surprise, no advertising, just on the encounters! It's been some time that there are rumours about "Rêve", but two feminine launches in a year it'd be huge for Chanel! But Allure Sensuelle doesn't seem to sell that well...
    La Science des Rêves

Default Re: Rumour: New Chanel

That would be great!

But is Chanel really going to launch a fragrance without the help of the media? I mean no press release has been done yet; and even if there was one, I can't imagine journalists keeping it a secret.

The only way they could do this is by launching the new fragrance in the exclusive "Rue Cambon" line. A bit in style of Bois Noir (aka Egoïste), which was first launched in Chanel boutiques and a year later at Chanel counters. But even with Bois Noir I remember reading articles about it's upcoming launch...

Oh! Would that be the first collaboration between Jacques Polge and Christopher Shaldrake? Or is it still a bit too early? I know that Chanel usually takes 3 years to compose a fragrance, of course Mr Polge can work on different formulas at the same time. Let's say he showed Chris Shaldrake an existing formula he then could manipulate. Erh, sometimes when different noses work on the same fragrance, one perfumer will chose the ingredients, another will work on a particular accord and yet another will finalise the juice...
    Oh, jeez MCocteau you are making me ramble and fantasise about something that is only a rumour! LOL

Anyways, PLEASE NO COCO MLLE - CHANCE - ALLURE SENSUELLE SIMILAR ACCORD IN THE NEXT CHANEL !!!
    Last edited by cedriceccentric; 31st August 2006 at 12:03 PM.

I don't know the exact story, but it seems they already did something like this for Fleur de Chanel! Now it's sold on the american website only, I think!
    and i doubt they put 3 years to make Allure Sensuelle!
    La Science des Rêves

Quote Originally Posted by cedriceccentric
    That would be great!

But is Chanel really going to launch a fragrance without the help of the media? I mean no press release has been done yet; and even if there was one, I can't imagine journalists keeping it a secret.

The only way they could do this is by launching the new fragrance in the exclusive "Rue Cambon" line. A bit in style of Bois Noir (aka Egoïste), which was first launched in Chanel boutiques and a year later at Chanel counters. But even with Bois Noir I remember reading articles about it's upcoming launch...

Oh! Would that be the first collaboration between Jacques Polge and Christopher Shaldrake? Or is it still a bit too early? I know that Chanel usually takes 3 years to compose a fragrance, of course Mr Polge can work on different formulas at the same time. Let's say he showed Chris Shaldrake an existing formula he then could manipulate. Erh, sometimes when different noses work on the same fragrance, one perfumer will chose the ingredients, another will work on a particular accord and yet another will finalise the juice...
    Oh, jeez MCocteau you are making me ramble and fantasise about something that is only a rumour! LOL

Anyways, PLEASE NO COCO MLLE - CHANCE - ALLURE SENSUELLE SIMILAR ACCORD IN THE NEXT CHANEL !!!
    I feel exactly the same way! very well put.
    Up until now it all seems like a big rumor and the chanel people swear there's no frag scheduled for the 2nd semester, but we know how are these people behave with "official announcements" and yeah there must be something cookin'up , i don't want to pull strings with the people i know and spoil the surprise because i love chanel.
    But I do think also that allure sensuelle and chance were lowpoints.
    I'm shivering with anticip.....pation!

Quote Originally Posted by cedriceccentric
    That would be great!

!!!
    Chris Sheldrake might be composing the forthcoming Chanel perfumes as a 'nose' but he is the Chanel art director first and foremost, which means he has the same position and responsibilities like Serge Lutens of Shiseido. I have no idea if Jacques Polge will be C. Sheldrake 's 'nose' or someone else or even nobody else, who knows? But if there is a collaboration, Chris Sheldrake is the perfumer with a vision for Chanel in the first place, not just a 'nose' (anymore lol).

Serpent

Quote Originally Posted by La Nuit
    Chris Sheldrake might be composing the forthcoming Chanel perfumes as a 'nose' but he is the Chanel art director first and foremost, which means he has the same position and responsibilities like Serge Lutens of Shiseido. I have no idea if Jacques Polge will be C. Sheldrake 's 'nose' or someone else or even nobody else, who knows? But if there is a collaboration, Chris Sheldrake is the perfumer with a vision for Chanel in the first place, not just a 'nose' (anymore lol).
    Actually, you seem to have it backwards. Sheldrake will report to Polges, who remains the in-house perfumer for Chanel. Sheldrake's title is "Director of Research and Development" for the fragrance division, so he may come up with ideas, finesse them, etc., but the final decision is Polges's. Chanel is quite big on tradition, and they want to make sure any future in-house perfumers can compose a scent in the "Chanel style," as Polges did with Une Fleur de Chanel, a scent that beautifully recalled two classic fragrances by past noses - Henri Robert's Cristalle and Ernest Beaux's Gardénia - in one.

My hunch is that Sheldrake is under an apprenticeship with Polges to learn how to create a "Chanel" and be the caretaker of the line.

And a new Chanel - a true Chanel - would be exciting. I can appreciate Coco Mademoiselle, but what followed... No more Chances, Chanel. No more Allure Sensuelles. Let's have some of the old sophistication again, s'il vous plaît.

Guess what? It's not the first time Christopher Shaldrake works for Chanel.
    Yes, Annick Le Guérer's book "Le Parfum, Des orgines à nos Jours" reveals that after starting at Charabot and Robertet, Shaldrake joined Chanel, where he worked together with Jacques Polge and François Demachy (Demachy mostly worked on the fragrances from Chanel's Bourjois and then Ungaro and Parfums Tiffany's divisions). That was during the early 80s (when Diva, Coco and Anteus were launched). The book further explains that it's at Chanel he learned most about "noble" ingredients like ambre gris, iris and jasmin. In 1984 he joined Quest.

If you remember well last winter (when Mr. Shaldrake was just appointed in his role at Chanle) I started here a thread about Chanel preparing to launch a new Rue Cambon juice as I had been at Chanel boutique in Milan and the SA dedicated to perfumes and makeup desk (which is the "responsible" for the beauty products there and not just a simple SA) told me that was still quite an unofficial news, but in the corridors of Rue Cambon headquarter there were rumors about a new exclusive fragrance to be launched next fall.
    Now I read surpringly this thread again... so it should be true!

I didn't even know that Chris Sheldrake worked for Chanel, I thought he worked with Shiseido and with Serge Lutens.
    As far as I knew Jacques Polge was Chanel's latest perfumer?