Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Wake up! Today, FRIDAY, is SSD!

Hey all,
    Today, Friday 1 September, is Scent Syncronization Day.

Everyone interested in joining, comparing, complaining, praising, and just plain living with the gang wearing Thierry Mugler's Cologne, be sure to wear it.

Is it a non-cologne cologne, perfect for our time of perfumophobia?
    Is it a throw back to the 18th Century eau de cologne style?
    Is it modern?
    Does it gain you sexual partners even though you're spotty and ugly?
    Should I give my bottle to my high school-age cousin living in the tropics? (She wears flipflops every day and plays the piano very well. Otherwise she's failing in school. Is Cologne right for her?)
    It does kick ass on that lofty, celebrity-worship house's product, doesn't it?
    Splash it or spray it?
    Napoleon: eau de cologne wearer and damn good fightin' general, I say!
    How come you can't close the company's sample vials after you open it with a twist of the plastic? What's up with those dopes?

Communicate in real time with fellow Cologne wearers all across this great globe of ours at Basenotes only. Read all about it!

Post your reviews and observations here. And answer my above questions--at least a couple of them--or ask some of your own questions right here. Click Post Reply now, and get going on the keyboard foreplay.

Long live another Basenotes SSD!
    --Chris
    Last edited by DustB; 1st September 2006 at 02:54 AM.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: REMINDER: Tomorrow, FRIDAY, is SSD

Music To Sniff By... SSD Edition:

Remember the first Mugler Cologne TV ad from 2001-02, with the great blue sky and the two people morphing (not the later one with the glowing bottle)? In case you were wondering what the song in that first TV commercial for Mugler Cologne was, it's Adiemus by Adiemus from their debut album Songs of Sanctuary.

The song was originally composed by Karl Jenkins in 1994 for a Delta Air Lines ad campaign that ran until 1998, and was also used in the very first TV ad campaign for Mugler Cologne.

Adiemus can be downloaded at iTunes for 99 cents; other online music stores may also have it, too.

Anyhoo, T minus 3 hours 45 minutes until SSD starts in the US Eastern time zone!
    I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: REMINDER: Tomorrow, FRIDAY, is SSD

Quote Originally Posted by MFfan310
    Music To Sniff By... SSD Edition:

Remember the first Mugler Cologne TV ad from 2001-02, with the great blue sky and the two people morphing (not the later one with the glowing bottle)? In case you were wondering what the song in that first TV commercial for Mugler Cologne was, it's Adiemus by Adiemus from their debut album Songs of Sanctuary.

The song was originally composed by Karl Jenkins in 1994 for a Delta Air Lines ad campaign that ran until 1998, and was also used in the very first TV ad campaign for Mugler Cologne.

Adiemus can be downloaded at iTunes for 99 cents; other online music stores may also have it, too.

Anyhoo, T minus 3 hours 45 minutes until SSD starts in the US Eastern time zone!
    Fantastic--
    Tomorrow MFfan310 can tell us if Pavlov was right. When he hears the jingle, does MFfan310 salivate and smell the scent by the auditory cue alone?
    --Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Wake up! Today, FRIDAY, is SSD!

Chris, sorry, I wont be joining in this celebration, but I might answer some of your questions a bit later.

Now wheres my bottle of Original Vetiver ....
    -

Post Thanks / Like

I'm such an idiot.

Huge praise is due to CologneJunkie, who brought this project together. The world would not be united in scent today if it were not for her valiant efforts to visualize world peace.

CologneJunkie bought many ounces of TM's Cologne with this day in mind too--plenty of it for you yokels out there without a bottle or a qualified sample distribution fragrance counter near you. CJ no doubt has enough Cologne edt to use it like a shower gel now too.

Please praise CJ and remember her efforts to bring this event out.

Anyone looking for the formerly stickied post about this day by CJ can find it here:

http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=185059

Thank you all, and thank you very much CologneJunkie.
    --Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DustB
    I'm such an idiot.

Huge praise is due to CologneJunkie, who brought this project together. The world would not be united in scent today if it were not for her valiant efforts to visualize world peace.

CologneJunkie bought many ounces of TM's Cologne with this day in mind too--plenty of it for you yokels out there without a bottle or a qualified sample distribution fragrance counter near you. CJ no doubt has enough Cologne edt to use it like a shower gel now too.

Please praise CJ and remember her efforts to bring this event out.

Anyone looking for the formerly stickied post about this day by CJ can find it here:

http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=185059

Thank you all, and thank you very much CologneJunkie.
    --Chris
    Aww shucks! Chris, you're making me blush! Thank you for your wonderful words. I just love the whole concept of all of us picking out an exceptional frag to wear on a certain day. Just seems way cool to me . And of course I'm glad that TM Cologne won this time around!!! It's always fun to dip into my vat of this juice
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Post Thanks / Like

RIGHT!!!
    Borrowed my pals bottle of TM Cologne 2 days ago (He thinks Im a lunatic after I explained why! I also made a small/makeshift decant of Habit Rouge for him in return). Im gonna wear some 4711 (sticking to the cologne theme) till I shower, then Im gonna join everyone else with some TM cologne today!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I've actually managed to rope two non-scent-wearers to join me in Mugler-dom friday... we'll form a Mugler Phalanx!

Post Thanks / Like

It's the first day of Spring down here, and my eyes are runny and nose is blocked up - so not the best day for me to try appreciate Muglers. In between nasal sprays, I noticed that it smells a lot stronger on my ladyfriend than on me - she wears it on open skin whereas my scents all go under my clothes. I think shirts weaken or mute it too much.

It's okay, but just not strong enough for my tastes - subtlety just isn't one of my strong points. My favourite unisex scent is Versace's Time To Relax which is a lot more potent, though not quite as complex.
    Renato

First female reporting in on TM Cologne today. I love it, and will splash it freely about my neck, forearms, a bit on my long hair and enjoy it all day, along with the vision of so many around the world doing the same. It's my favorite "wear anywhere" non-natural perfume, so well made and delicate and yummy!
    Anya McCoy - http://anyasgarden.com/
    Best of the Best awards - Perfume: MoonDance, StarFlower, Amberess, Light, Royal Lotus and as
    Project Leader: Outlaw Perfume and Mystery of Musk
    Basic Perfumery Course with lifetime access to the websitehttp://perfumeclasses.com
    America's First Natural Perfume Line 1991
    First Artisan Perfumer Voted in as member of the American Society of Perfumery 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DustB
    How come you can't close the company's sample vials after you open it with a twist of the plastic? What's up with those dopes?
    --Chris
    I've popped those tops back on just fine by pushing that plastic thingy back into the hole. Fortunately, for those that can't, Thierry Mugler Parfums is in the process of switching from those glass vials to green mini-atomizers for Mugler Cologne samples. In fact, the last two samples I got from both Macy's and a fellow Basenoter (ilnaso) were of the newer kind.

Anyhoo, here's my Mugler Cologne story...

It was 2004. I decided to get back into the smelly stuff after a long hiatus... but everyone else was wearing my previous scent of choice (Acqua di Gio). So, I found Basenotes, and someone recommended Mugler Cologne to me. I went to the mall and sniffed it and other smellies, but my nose kept coming back to the Mugler. So, I spent some of my birthday money on the stuff, and I wore it the next day... I loved it.

And I've been in love with it ever since.
    I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone.

Sprayed some TM early on today. I didn't get this stuff at first, as I am decidedly middle age and tend to prefer old school juice, but I've come around, and even own a bottle. Although there is a synthetic tinge to it, I now appreciate it, as it gives the scent some needed bite, and find it to have good longevity as well. Pervasively clean and soapy, but with an edge.

Post Thanks / Like

6 squirts and I'm still vibing on it 6 hours later. Wonderful!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm in about six squirts of it today too. I'm about five hours into it and now it smells like old vinyl. An old cracked vinyl booth bench, in fact, maybe one on a decrepit sail boat. It's got musty disintegrating foam behind the cracks that looks dirty and bad.

That's the sillage, though, when I smell my shirt collar I get the herbal fresh soap clean smell that so perfectly matches the beautiful green tinged liquid. There's not a lot of sillage.

I think I'd need to do a week long wearing to really give TMC a fair look. I'd probably learn its afternoon parts and its evening parts that way, but right now I'm stuck thinking the morning application sets the standard.

When this goes on I can only think -hot-. I don't mean in a fashion sense, I mean in a sense of things that I smell and get images of heat. Fahrenheit, which smells nothing at all like TMC and to which I therefore do not suggest a comparison, has something that smells hot to me. TMC is all hot when it goes on. It's like it has waves of itself rising up like the heat ripples that wiggle over rural blacktop roads in the blazing hot summer. Above and around the watery mirage reflecting the sky off the black top out there in the distance. A smell something like heat ripples off a meadow. The stuff smells like hot. That's what I mean.

--Chris

Was out a bit today in the hot humid Miami noon -- it has faded quite a bit on my forearms. The faded is nice, though, it has remained rather true to the first notes, it's clean and soapy. Knowing how perfumes with synths can morph in this heat, I have no complaints! Still strong on my hair tips, as I scrunch the ends under my nose.

I do realize that when I put it on my arms today I didn't put on a lot -- a friend walked in the room and wanted some, so I sprinkled her arms with what would have been the end of a full application for me.
    Anya McCoy - http://anyasgarden.com/
    Best of the Best awards - Perfume: MoonDance, StarFlower, Amberess, Light, Royal Lotus and as
    Project Leader: Outlaw Perfume and Mystery of Musk
    Basic Perfumery Course with lifetime access to the websitehttp://perfumeclasses.com
    America's First Natural Perfume Line 1991
    First Artisan Perfumer Voted in as member of the American Society of Perfumery 2013

Post Thanks / Like

I can't miss the soapy quality of the smell either. I guess that's the real renown of this product--a fresh and clean soapy smell. Reminds me of all the quotations from women saying a man shouldn't smell strongly of cologne, "all he needs is to wash and smell clean," sorta stuff.

Oddly, I don't find it a soap smell I prefer. For soap-esque scents, I usually pick Acqua di Parma, Diptyque's Olène, Equipage, or Paco Rabane original (if I had it), if I wanted the anti-perfume soap smell. Those have range and depth of adventure and inspiration beyond shower soap. They take me places and to, ah, in the case of Olène, showers I have had. Not TMC. I'm now nine-and-a-half hours into wearing it, and I've got good sillage even, but it's a white pepper and light white floral smell. Not creamy like good soap even, more like using the awkward broken bits of left over almost gone soap bars.

I'm out with friends tonight so I'll see how it survives and what comments I can get out of people.
    --Chris

Post Thanks / Like

i could barely smell the mugler cologne I put on (because I'm recovering from a cold and my noes is stuff) but I did whifs of that clean, fresh and green aroma. Hope we do this again soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I flew to Arizona today to spend the Holiday weekend with my parents. As soon as I could retrieve my smellies from my checked luggage, I refreshed w/ a few spritzes of TM Cologne. Dad said I was making the car smell good . It's working marvelously in the Arizona heat!

Post Thanks / Like

I"ve enjoyed the day knowing that so many others here were wearing MC. 6 sprays in the morning got me through much of the day. I sprayed both forearms this morning and when I rub them together now I can pick up the cologne again a bit. I grew up in Amsterdam as a small child and this cologne reminds me of the small, round, green soaps we used to get and bathe with. There was nothing special about them...just cheap soap... but this smell has always taken me back there. Mmm.....

Okay so today was my first day with TM Cologne. I've tested it before, only at the perfume counter, and it never really attacted me. I doused myself with it liberally this morning from a decant (thanks vegas). Now I should say right off this is not my type of fragrance. When I look for a fresh scent I generally look for something distinctly natural and evocative of a fresh environment. Something uplifting-Hiris, Rykiel Homme, Mare, SMW.
    Once i got over the sort of artificial beginning I began to really enjoy it. The brightness and cool green was really cheerful and kind of uplifting. The drydown was pleasent I suppose. It started to go into a soapy almost plastic clean smell. Like the smell of a soap bottle. It became a little stale smelling almost to me. This ruined it for me. The refreshing, cheerful top segued into something plastic and tired. Almost as though it were an old frozen smile. Still composed to look bright and happy but possesed of no lift or joy. It actually became a bit of a downer as the day wore on because at least on me it is incredibly tenacious.
    I get the concept of the fragrance and I like it. I just think it is a more successful approach to give the feeling of uplift than its appearance.
    I think this was a great idea and we should do it again. Maybe something for the fall.
    m

Well, I finally had a reason to go out and buy this stuff today-- I was amazed at how much my nose has changed in the 4-5 months since I last sampled it. The first time I tried it, I thought it was way too 'green' and sharp! Now that I have some experience, my first impression of it was its similarity (to me) with Gendarme. Now that I've worn it for a while today, the resemblance isn't as striking, but I still get that vibe.

I'm happy to have added this fresh, versatile scent to my wardrobe. Happy SSD, everyone!

-ben
    Nihil Obstat Ben

[url=http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1883]My Wardrobe[/url]

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to everyone who joined SSD! Thanks also to all who expressed an interest in the NEXT SSD--it was great to read the interest during Renato's SOTD thread.

Special thanks to CologneJunkie for doing the organizing and planning of the whole event. She had the forthought to buy a large supply of TMC so that she could send samples to all interested members for this day. That's the Basenotes spirit right there--the best. Basenotes special service award for sure.

This thread will stay open but I'm going to un-sticky it now. If you've got SSD day experiences with TMC you haven't shared yet, well, time to put fingertips to keyboard, my friend.
    --Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rompip
    RIGHT!!!
    Borrowed my pals bottle of TM Cologne 2 days ago (He thinks Im a lunatic after I explained why! I also made a small/makeshift decant of Habit Rouge for him in return). Im gonna wear some 4711 (sticking to the cologne theme) till I shower, then Im gonna join everyone else with some TM cologne today!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by nvrlnd
    I've actually managed to rope two non-scent-wearers to join me in Mugler-dom friday... we'll form a Mugler Phalanx!
    I forgot to ask:

Rompip,
    How did TM Cologne fit in South Africa? Better than 4711, and worth the trade of Habit Rouge?

Also, Nvrlnd, any reactions from the two non-scent-wearers? Any butt kicking done by the Mugler Phalanx?

Thanks, and thanks to all who participated.
    --Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Finally back in front of an internet connection.

I actually got a funny compliment on MC during SSD. I was grabbing a bite at the bagel shop across the street for lunch (the other two in my Mugler Phalanx worked through lunch so they weren't with me), when a group of young college girls came (maybe late high school, I'm not sure). So the little table I was at was right next to the order line, and they were next to me for a minute, when the one *not* on her cellphone goes:

"Hey, excuse me, you're wearing cologne, right?"
    "Yeah." (I actually start my days late, so MC was only about 90 minutes old on my skin at this point) "*oh* *yeah*, that's the *stuff*. What is it?"
    "Mugler Cologne." "*Yeah*, that's *fantastic*. I need to buy some for my boyfriend, can I get it at Sephora or something?"

Turns out her boyfriend has worn... wait for it.... CK BE... for years, and she was getting massively sick of it. She wanted him to get Polo Blue, but he didn't want anything to do with the Polo brand.

So I now know what somebody's getting for their birthday in a few weeks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Finally back in front of an internet connection.

I actually got a funny compliment on MC during SSD. I was grabbing a bite at the bagel shop across the street for lunch (the other two in my Mugler Phalanx worked through lunch so they weren't with me), when a group of young college girls came (maybe late high school, I'm not sure). So the little table I was at was right next to the order line, and they were next to me for a minute, when the one *not* on her cellphone goes:

"Yeah." (I actually start my days late, so MC was only about 90 minutes old on my skin at this point) "*oh* *yeah*, that's the *stuff*. What is it?"
    "Mugler Cologne." "*Yeah*, that's *fantastic*. I need to buy some for my boyfriend, can I get it at Sephora or something?"

Turns out her boyfriend has worn... wait for it.... CK BE... for years, and she was getting massively sick of it. She wanted him to get Polo Blue, but he didn't want anything to do with the Polo brand.

So I now know what somebody's getting for their birthday in a few weeks.
    Great story . And it's even more funny to me, because TMC & CK Be are both favorites of mine!

Post Thanks / Like

If Mugler actually marketed Cologne instead of Angel, it would be huge with both sexes. It is by far the best unisex scent I've come across. Nobody knows about this little gem. Of course, everybody would start smelling like us.

Post Thanks / Like

We should do an SSD on the 31st of every month. Sorry if this idea has already been suggested. I also think that next time we should do a higher profile scent and all agree to overapply so that we have lots of funny stories to share.