Code of Conduct

Thread: Sephora info

Default Sephora info

Some of the things on their website such as Gendarme, D&G Masculine, and some Demeter Frags are really cheap. Does anyone know if they have those prices in their stores too, or is it only an online thing?

Default Re: Sephora info

Gendarme is cheap but if you notice it is out of stock. I went to the store recently and Gendarme wasn't even on their shelves.

I know its out of stock but that doesnt mean its out of stock if it's in some of the stores. Just out of stock from their warehouse for the online store.

like I said i have been to the store and it isn't even on their shelves. Not even an empty space where it used to be.

Serpent

Just because it's on the website doesn't mean it will be sold at the store. For instance, none of the Sephoras I've been to in Southern California carry Comme des Garçons White or Odeur 71. Yet both are on the website. I haven't seen Héritage or Eau Impériale at a Sephora in ages, but they're on the website. Thierry Mugler has long ago exited local Sephora stores, as has Body Kouros, yet these things appear on the Sephora website. So one more time:

Just because it's on the Sephora website does not mean it will be in a Sephora store.

I mean, you wouldn't assume that just because a book is on Barnes & Noble's website or a CD is on Tower Records' website that it would be in their stores. Sephora is no different. You're getting the stock from a big warehouse in Maryland. Moreover, some things may be in the store that don't appear online, like Hermès or Comme des Garçons 2, which very rarely pops up. And what one Sephora store has will almost certainly not be the same as another.

ETA: I've seen reports from people getting sale prices on fragrances at brick-and-mortar Sephoras, but I've never caught those. It's always just cheap, crappy lipsticks and nail polishes on the sale rack when I catch them. Moreover, I haven't seen Gendarme or D&G Masculine in a Sephora store in a dog's age.
    Last edited by Serpent; 1st September 2006 at 01:58 AM.

3 weeks ago I was in the St. Louis Sephora and they at the time had about 7 bottles of Gendarme left on the clerarance rack for $12 for the 4 Oz.

Quote Originally Posted by Serpent
    Just because it's on the website doesn't mean it will be sold at the store. For instance, none of the Sephoras I've been to in Southern California carry Comme des Garçons White or Odeur 71. Yet both are on the website. I haven't seen Héritage or Eau Impériale at a Sephora in ages, but they're on the website. Thierry Mugler has long ago exited local Sephora stores, as has Body Kouros, yet these things appear on the Sephora website. So one more time:

Just because it's on the Sephora website does not mean it will be in a Sephora store.

I mean, you wouldn't assume that just because a book is on Barnes & Noble's website or a CD is on Tower Records' website that it would be in their stores. Sephora is no different. You're getting the stock from a big warehouse in Maryland. Moreover, some things may be in the store that don't appear online, like Hermès or Comme des Garçons 2, which very rarely pops up. And what one Sephora store has will almost certainly not be the same as another.

ETA: I've seen reports from people getting sale prices on fragrances at brick-and-mortar Sephoras, but I've never caught those. It's always just cheap, crappy lipsticks and nail polishes on the sale rack when I catch them. Moreover, I haven't seen Gendarme or D&G Masculine in a Sephora store in a dog's age.
    I guess what I should have taken more time to say is that I bought Gendarme at a Sephora store a little over 2 months ago. Now there is no sign of it on the shelves there. I also noticed that it went on sale on the website. A bottle of 20 was listed for $18. However I don't think many bottles were sold at that price. I can also say with 100% certainty that when they restock a $72 bottle of 20 will not retail for $18. I think that they were trying to either clear out old stock. I have no idea why the prices went so low.

Quote Originally Posted by Serpent
    Just because it's on the website doesn't mean it will be sold at the store.
    No better example of that than Neiman Marcus. They have Serge Lutens and L'Artisan on their website yet I've never seen either in their stores here in New Jersey. In fact, I asked a SA about L'Artisan frags once and she said she never heard of them.

Funny thing though ... I once asked about Clive Christian frags and got the same puzzled look. But I went there last week, and now they're carrying them.

Serpent

Quote Originally Posted by pepse19
    I think that they were trying to either clear out old stock. I have no idea why the prices went so low.
    1. They were clearing out stock forever. Gendarme will not be carried again.
    2. The prices were low because only a few were left and they wanted to get them out.

Serpent

Quote Originally Posted by markc
    3 weeks ago I was in the St. Louis Sephora and they at the time had about 7 bottles of Gendarme left on the clerarance rack for $12 for the 4 Oz.
    Cheap perfume? Even in L.A., a town where no one wears fragrance, that stuff's gone, if only to be slapped up on eBay...

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

That does it.

I'm going tomorrow.

Holy cow.

Thanks to a previous markc post when he mentioned the Sephora sales, I immediately looked online for Gendarme. Nothing in stock. I called the 800 number, nothing in SoCal. Ended up buying 3 bottles from a Texas store for 45 dollars. I kid you not. Awesome deal. Why? Sephora is no longer carrying Gendarme as a brand permanently and they are letting loose their stock.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)