Code of Conduct

Default New: "The One" Dolce & Gabbana.

From WWD

Last spring Cosmeticnews already announced the launch of this new Dolce & Gabanna. The launch is being pushed to January 2007 for the US (P&G says there are already too many launches this season) but Europe will have it starting October of this year.

This is the first D&G launch under P&G as the licence was held before by Euroitalia. The One will be rolled out to just under 50,000 doors worldwide by mid-2007.

Name: "The One"
    Brand: Dolce & Gabbana (P&G)
    Nose: developed by the designers and P&G's in-house perfumers in cooperation with Quest International.
    Packaging: P&G in-house designers.

"The One" is a warm oriental floral with fruity top and bottom notes.
    Top: bergamot, mandarin, lychee and peach
    Heart: Madonna lily, muguet and jasmine
    Base: plum, vetiver, vanilla, amber and musk.

The TV ad will show model Gisele BŁndchen getting prepared backstage for a fashion show, while photographers take her picture near a mirror. Both Tv and print campaigns were shot by French photographer Jean-Baptiste Mondino.

P&G reveals that a male version of "The One" will eventually be launched. Further more we can expect a cosmetics line under the Dolce & Gabanna brand.

Serpent

Default Re: New: "The One" Dolce & Gabbana.

A sales associate at Saks this week (when I was sniffing out Antidote) spoke very derisively of this. "All of these new releases are these sweet scents. They all just smell what everybody else is putting out. Dolce & Gabbana's got a new one coming out, and it's another one just like the rest of these." I asked her what she meant: "It's just another sweet fruity thing."

Hooray. Dolce & Gabbana's looking to shake up the fragrance scene, I see...

With the success of Valentino V (which is rather nice for a commerial fragrance), I expect P&G will put something in the same style on the market. P&G plays it always safe and their fragrances seams to appeal to the masses anyway, so I don't think they want to make art.

Serpent

It looks like Dolce & Gabbana is wanting to squeeze some cash out of this license, which is probably why they went to Procter & Gamble. They seem very mercenary about the way they make and market fragrances. Make it as commercial as possible, and if it doesn't sell, axe it mercilessly. It's a wonder Helmut Lang got connected with them when he decided to make fragrances, with their hypercommercial track record and style. Dolce & Gabbana will probably be a good fit, though I doubt the scents will have that characteristic Italian style all their past fragrances had.

Quote Originally Posted by cedriceccentric
    With the success of Valentino V (which is rather nice for a commerial fragrance), I expect P&G will put something in the same style on the market. P&G plays it always safe and their fragrances seams to appeal to the masses anyway, so I don't think they want to make art.

Valentino doesn't sell at all in France...they never relased the Abolu version, neither men's version:
    La Science des RÍves

Here is the ad...

i'm really looking forward to sample this one. at least i hope it's not as sweet as sicily .

I sampled The One last weekend. OMG! The topnotes are awful: sickly sweet, like fruit bubble gum at it's most artificial. It becomes better after an hour as the basenotes are rather woody and warm.

I imagine it on a woman which has a hard time growing-up or on a teen who wants to act like a woman...

I don't get this new D&G at all. Too bad I rather liked the bottle and packaging. And Gisele in the ad... the ultimate amazon.

BTW: Didn't Gisele had an exclusive contract with Victoria Secret to appear only in VS perfume ads (the contract allowed her to appear in other fashion designer ads). Since Basic Instinct edp is already being discontinued maybe VS didn't renew that contract... ???

I also tested this recently as it was launched a while ago
    in the U.K. I got a green blast of rhubarb at first (although
    there is none listed in the notes)! This didn't last long and
    ensuing scent was somewhat unremarkable. Not bad for a
    fresh, everyday inoffensive fragrance but nothing I would
    rush out and buy.

I sampled The One last weekend. OMG! The topnotes are awful: sickly sweet, like fruit bubble gum at it's most artificial. It becomes better after an hour as the basenotes are rather woody and warm.
    oh man, this is exactly what i didn't want to hear! i guess i'll try it anyways but if you say it's that sweet i surely won't like it either...

so how would you compare it to sicily? in terms of longevity, sillage and mid-basenotes?

Quote Originally Posted by castorpollux
    oh man, this is exactly what i didn't want to hear! i guess i'll try it anyways but if you say it's that sweet i surely won't like it either...

so how would you compare it to sicily? in terms of longevity, sillage and mid-basenotes?
    Sicily though strange was much more original with it's soapy notes. I would describe The One as a woody Britney's Fantasy.

Somehow I have a feeling it will sell well, everything P&G does seams to sell well anyway. The much airing TV ads for Valentino, Boss and Lacoste must help. Here is Belgium there is always some kind of P&G fragrance TV promotion going on (all year round). Other cosmetics companies stick to mother's day and Christmas seasons.

I sprayed this on my wrist today at the perfume shop, and to my great sursrise I really liked it! I never "got" Sicily, nor have I ever paid much attention to the other scents from D&G, but this one hit me! Sweet, yes, but very, very far from "Fantasy", to my nose.
    I think this one has great "body", the notes play really well together.
    Extra plus for the mellow vanillic dry down and great lasting power.

Sicily though strange was much more original with it's soapy notes. I would describe The One as a woody Britney's Fantasy.

Somehow I have a feeling it will sell well, everything P&G does seams to sell well anyway. The much airing TV ads for Valentino, Boss and Lacoste must help. Here is Belgium there is always some kind of P&G fragrance TV promotion going on (all year round). Other cosmetics companies stick to mother's day and Christmas seasons.
    It looks like they are about to discontinue Sicily. Look at the price for 1.7 oz bottle at Sephora. It's a pretty obvious sign...

http://www.sephora.com/browse/produc...ategoryId=3673

i thought i would like this, but i really didn't. i'm not exactly sure why, it just smelled really heavy but powdery at the same time, and way too sweet. oh well i've never really been a fan of D&G scents. :/