Code of Conduct

Default Davidoff and Zino

For people used to Davidoff's Cool Water line, these are a whole other galaxy. Has anyone tried them?

These are actually Davidoff's first two fragrances, back when Davidoff was known mostly for his cigars.

Zino is perhaps my favourite cologne. It's a dark heady, foamy spicy mist that's very masculine. I'm not enough of an expert to know what to compare it to, it's just wonderful. It smells awful in the bottle though.

Davidoff which is the first Davidoff fragrance, is completely horrid to me. It smells like a Moss Man He-Man toy if anyone knows what that smells like. Rancid baby powder. I got a bottle for an amazing price on ebay, so I bought it blind but yikes, I can't wait to get rid of it. I really did give it a chance, but I can't tolerate it on me for 20 seconds.

I imagine it was made to smell good on people who smell like Davidoff cigars or something. Does anyone know anything about this one?

Incidentally, I find this whole cult of Mr. Zino Davidoff funny on the Davidoff website. This mythical bon-vivant character. Kind of like a chairman Mao of luxury living! "Thog Good Life" is kind of like "Dialectical Materialism"...
    Last edited by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR; 1st September 2006 at 02:05 PM.

nearfantastica

Default Re: Davidoff and Zino

Funny that you mention Zino Davidoff... It was one of the fragrances I had read a lot about on this site.. I took a chance on a blind purchase, and to this day.. Zino was the "ONE" fragrance that my olfactory system could not handle..

A lot of people find this scent, classy, sophisticated.. and wonderful, but I was not able to find it anything but "nauseating".. and my gf felt the same way about it.

Kudos to your He-Man refrence btw, I remember the Moss Man doll... I still chuckle when I think about the Skunkor He-Man figure.. a toy..that smells like skunk.. gotta love it..

Anyway, I'll avoid the Davidoff scent... as Zino has scared me off of anything Davidoff has produced pre-Cool Water...

a.

I like Zino, but it took a wearing or two to "get" it. Sampling it was of no use. I had a sample and tried it, but couldn't smell a thing. So I tried the sample again, more or less dumping the whole thing on my arm - still nothing. I figured there was no way all the reviews here were that far off, so I made a blind buy when I found a bottle at a decent price. Spraying it and wearing it as a scent is much different than sampling. It needs to be distributed over the skin and into the clothes. Based on some reviews I was really expecting it to be a powerhouse, but I'd say it's very tame and understated. I'd call it a subtle, masculine, sweet woods and florals scent. It takes a number of sprays to last and to have an effect. It's very floral. It's also got a very nice, soft, sweet tobacco note that is similar to the one in Relax.

If you're familiar with either Zino or Relax, you're kind of familiar with the other. Relax though seems so much better to me. Deeper, richer, more present, and the tobacco is more prominent.

Post Thanks / Like

Zino's one of my earlier frags. Havn't sampled it in a long time but from what I remember, it's a classy scent.

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

I'll have to check out relax then, as Zino is my favourite. You're right about the clothes - it smells great on clothes. I also noticed that it somehow makes a difference *how* you spray it. With dilute things like Orange Verte, I push really slowly to get a concentrated squirt instead of a mist, but if you do that with zino it smells like weird soap. You need the mist.

Zino I do not like much at all. When one smells it from the bottle it smells horrid like cough syrup. When sprayed the top notes smell like what smells like from the bottle. But about 1 hour later it starts to smell a bit nice, it gets very smooth. But I do not like Rose in fragrances so thumbs down.

I have 30ml bottle I don't want, if anyone in the UK is interested.
    "...but I also can't prove that mushrooms could not be intergalactic spaceships spying on us." Daniel C. Dennett

Top 5
    Heritage 2. Antaeus3.Kouros 4. Drakkar Noir 5. Montana PDH

Post Thanks / Like

Completely agree with nearfantastica,
    nothing else (except perhaps Habit Rouge) triggers my "vomit-reflex" like Zino...
    Just makes me nauseous immediately. Unfortunately it´s a favourite of my dad...

MMM

Post Thanks / Like

I had this one in the 90s and for the life of me, can't remember much about it. I travel often and have really looked in many department stores because I have been wanting to try it again, and have had no luck. I guess you could say that if I can't remember much about it, then I couldn't have liked it that much, but sometimes tastes do change so I'll continue for now to look for it in some store to spray again.

Post Thanks / Like

I used to love Zino back in teh early 90's when I was in high-school. Such a memorable scent! For some reason it reminded me of a cigar lounge, a perfect scent when smoking,what else?,cuban Davidoff Cigars with a glass of Fussigny Cognac, Hmmmm sweet! When I smell Zino, it also reminded me of a solid piece of AAAA grade wood such as Mahogany or Teak.
    Top faves: Aramis Devin,Balenciage PH,Zino Davidoff,Trussardi Uomo,BlackXS,Sybaris,Furyo,HoHangClub,Santos Sport,KriziaSpazio,CarverVetiverDry,GIT,AmberSulta n,TeaForTwo,Dzing.
    My drobe: www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/47

Post Thanks / Like

From way back 1964 to 2001, or from wild beast to well tamed:
    Brut - Kouros - P Rabanne -Zino - Ungaro p. Homme - Michael f. Men.
    To me this looks like the direct route of fougères!
    Classical/formal ? No way! Nauseating? Fortunately not for me.
    I am in endangered if I do no go easy with Habit R ,though, and
    quite a few western 'oriental fragrances' have that effect on me.
    Last edited by narcus; 1st September 2006 at 07:20 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR
    Zino is perhaps my favourite cologne. It's a dark heady, foamy spicy mist that's very masculine. I'm not enough of an expert to know what to compare it to, it's just wonderful. It smells awful in the bottle though.

Davidoff which is the first Davidoff fragrance, is completely horrid to me. It smells like a Moss Man He-Man toy if anyone knows what that smells like. Rancid baby powder. I got a bottle for an amazing price on ebay, so I bought it blind but yikes, I can't wait to get rid of it. I really did give it a chance, but I can't tolerate it on me for 20 seconds.
    I agree on both counts--Zino is finely structured and a brilliant mixture of strong olfactory elements. Davidoff I liked when I first wore it but it turned on me and now I don't want it anywhere near me.

Zino fits my skin like a leather glove, it probably needs to be EDC to have some of the notes leap off the skin some, but quite frankly I wouldn't have it any other way than the way it is. Practically no siliage.

Davidoff is way old school like Moustache (which I prefer by a mile) but an interesting scent if only for historical reasons for most. Top notes are pretty blah.
    K
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]MisterK / Vicomte de K / K[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio[/FONT]

Zino lovers unite! One of the finest fragrances I have ever smelled and always, always in my top 10 if not 5.

Relax is a wonderful scent but it very hard to find.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Davidoff and Zino

Quote Originally Posted by Middle Aged Yuppie
    Zino lovers unite! One of the finest fragrances I have ever smelled and always, always in my top 10 if not 5.

Shout out for Zino and his brother Relax!

With the cooler weather coming back it's just about time to dust Zino off.

Quote Originally Posted by Middle Aged Yuppie

Post Thanks / Like

Zino's awesome stuff and so is Habit Rouge.

I'm still waiting for the fragrance that triggers a genuine vomit response.
    Last edited by pluran; 21st June 2011 at 06:50 PM.

Fahrenheit is the one thing I've smelled so far that makes me ill.

I just thought of something I can compare Zino to - Root Beer. Darker, but it smells something like rootbeer.

Quote Originally Posted by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR
    Fahrenheit is the one thing I've smelled so far that makes me ill.
    It's the top notes that are a bit harsh the first time one trys it, but once it settles it is a classic.
    "...but I also can't prove that mushrooms could not be intergalactic spaceships spying on us." Daniel C. Dennett

Top 5
    Heritage 2. Antaeus3.Kouros 4. Drakkar Noir 5. Montana PDH

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pluran
    Zino's awesome stuff. Same with Habit Rouge. I use it in abundance. Johnny Depp supposedly wears/wore Zino.

Does anyone know what Johnny Depp wears now, if he's switched from Zino?

INWAP

Post Thanks / Like

Old Spice and the thought of the factory on the NJ Turnpike making it = vomit

Post Thanks / Like

The opening notes are startling - startlingly good that is. Bergamot and rosewood swirling around a dominant note of lavender - wow! It is a rich luxurious floral at heart (no pun intended) - but if you dont like florals, you might not be enamored with it.

While Van Cleef pour home and no.88 are more varied, Zino is almost as classy.
    -

Zino is on my swaplist (2.5 oz - 95% full).
    To me it's a classy, cool weather, suit & tie scent with decent longevity, but I don't care for it anymore.

PM if interested...
    “Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.”

~ Robert Brault

Post Thanks / Like

Like with most instant winners, I tired of it before I had used twenty percent of the bottle. I still know why I wanted it, but I am happier without!
    Last edited by narcus; 22nd December 2006 at 07:21 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Basenotes Plus

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The last time I wore Zino (which I like but don't wear often), a woman at my office was all over me sniffing like crazy. I'm glad some people besides me like it!

BTW, Zino is about the only Davidoff scent I can stand.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scentsibility
    Zino is on my swaplist (2.5 oz - 95% full).
    To me it's a classy, cool weather, suit & tie scent with decent longevity, but I don't care for it anymore.

PM if interested...
    For me, it's one of my fave "night-on-the-town" scents. Perfect for goth clubs!
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Hi Gavis, "ki dayer? Labas?"
    Zino is indeed awesome. I love the classy powdery feel of it and its subtle sillage. It used to be one of my most faves in the 90's. Try Heritage if you like Zino.

BTW, Zino is about the only Davidoff scent I can stand.[/QUOTE]

You won't get any disagreement from me.