Code of Conduct

Default Prada Man: A field of candied violets.

The initial burst is light like Armani Code, and dryly powdery like Noir Epices. It is soft and hazy, romantically lit and filtered. There is a tart citric note that makes me think of candied violets. Even with all of the descriptions I've read, it is much softer than I ever would have imagined. It sweetens in the drydown, becoming more oriental with a hint vanilla. Very smooth, very close to the skin. if you can resist the tempation to bury your nose in the point of application, you find a light fragrant aura drifts up shyly, very delicate, deliberately punctuated with that slight tartness which peeks through.

I have have a hard time reconciling the name Prada with this. Perhaps my idea of Prada is out of date. I recall late 90s Prada men's clothes: everything in black, very slick and fitted, clunky black square-toed shoes, and of course those little black Prada bags that girls would wear everywhere.

Honestly I'm not sure what to make of it. It a fragrance for completing one's toilette, I think, rather than a fragrance of passion. It may elicit passion in women given its light freshness. It is nice at least to see a fresh that avoids aquatic fresh, and even citrus bombardment fresh, which is the other easy way to say clean without meaning it. On the whole it reminds me of Armani Code, if a dim memory suffices, through free of that bit of chemical sharpness the Armani has on top, though a bit sweeter than it in turn. Despite its lightness, that sweetness says fall fragrance.

It also makes me think of some of those so-called rock bands which are in vogue right now, that cater to the feminine half of the MTV audience. From frat-boy rock to emo: Prada Man is to Jack White as Habit Rouge is to Keith Richards.
    Last edited by Carlos; 2nd September 2006 at 05:13 AM.

Serpent

Default Re: Prada Man: A field of candied violets.

Jack White? Nah. It's more Brendan Flowers.

Quote Originally Posted by Serpent
    Jack White? Nah. It's more Brendan Flowers.
    That's better. I was at a loss to think of one of their names.

Serpent

Mind you: Prada Man is very Brendan Flowers, not Brendan Benson.

As for Jack White, there's just one scent for him: Le 3eme Homme (Third Man). Any White Stripes fan knows that.

A few hours into drydown, it seems to be mainly tonka now, with a whisper of the other notes. This is the first time I smelled that vanilla-like scent and thought, "Wait that's not vanilla - it must be tonka."

In way this frag makes me think of Shalimar - that big powdery opening, honestly a bit on the feminine side for me, drying down into 'vanilla.' The last time I tried to smell Shalimar I fled almost immediately (too potent), so someone who's been there for the whole arc could say better. Is this Shalimar Light for Boys?
    Last edited by Carlos; 2nd September 2006 at 06:57 AM.