Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Clarins Eau Dynamisante

About a year ago I bought three ladies hand bags containing Clarins samples from a local department store - one for my ladyfriend, one for my mother and one for my sister-in-law. They were on sale obviously.

The other day my sister-in-law said to me
    "I don't know when you gave me or Sara (my niece) this one ... but we really don't like it....it's too masculine"
    and she handed me a 15ml bottle of Clarins' Eau Dynamisante.

I rang up my ladyfriend and asked about her sample bottle of Dynamisante. She said she remembered not being all that fussed with it. She went and got it, sampled it, and said it was way too masculine, and that she couldn't see too many women going for it.

So today I actually tested it. It smelled a bit like Eau Sauvage coupled with YSL Homme to me, then eventually smelling like YSL Homme and Aqua di Portofino. Pretty impressive for a supposed unisex scent that places like Strawberrynet only list in their women's scents section, and which isn't all that expensive.

Anybody else tried it?
    Renato

Serpent

Default Re: Clarins Eau Dynamisante

I've passed my nose across it once or twice passing the Clarins counter if it's out, which is rare. It's just smelled sort of generically citrusy and simple, and I've wallked on. I always took this as Clarins' unisex answer to Clinique's Chemistry: a simple, short-lived sort of bathroom "tonic," a light, citrusy body spray, not heavy or very complicated. It's Clarins' version of Florida Water or that orange blossom splash that's stashed on the dusty back shelf of the drugstore. It's at every Clarins counter, but often it's buried at it doesn't seem to sell well at all, at least not on America. There seems to be zero awareness of this stuff stateside.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Serpent
    I've passed my nose across it once or twice passing the Clarins counter if it's out, which is rare. It's just smelled sort of generically citrusy and simple, and I've wallked on. I always took this as Clarins' unisex answer to Clinique's Chemistry: a simple, short-lived sort of bathroom "tonic," a light, citrusy body spray, not heavy or very complicated. It's Clarins' version of Florida Water or that orange blossom splash that's stashed on the dusty back shelf of the drugstore. It's at every Clarins counter, but often it's buried at it doesn't seem to sell well at all, at least not on America. There seems to be zero awareness of this stuff stateside.
    Given your often expressed dislike of YSL Homme and it's lemons, I'd have thought you'd have disliked this one a lot also.
    Renato

Serpent

Quote Originally Posted by Renato
    Given your often expressed dislike of YSL Homme and it's lemons, I'd have thought you'd have disliked this one a lot also.
    I didn't spend a lot of time with Eau Dynamisante, but it wasn't the lemon that put me off YSL pour Homme. It's those god-awful disco herbs. YSL pour Homme is like some sort of swarthy green goddess salad wrapped in polyester and platforms, all sweaty and leering as it does the Hustle all the way up my nose. Chemistry certainly doesn't do that, and I didn't get that vibe from my quick sniff of Eau Dynamisante, either. It seemed more fresh, light, uncomplicated. But I need to test it in-depth now, I suppose.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Serpent
    I didn't spend a lot of time with Eau Dynamisante, but it wasn't the lemon that put me off YSL pour Homme. It's those god-awful disco herbs. YSL pour Homme is like some sort of swarthy green goddess salad wrapped in polyester and platforms, all sweaty and leering as it does the Hustle all the way up my nose. Chemistry certainly doesn't do that, and I didn't get that vibe from my quick sniff of Eau Dynamisante, either. It seemed more fresh, light, uncomplicated. But I need to test it in-depth now, I suppose.
    Disco herbs? You have a fabulous way with words!

I'd appreciate your thoughts on Aqua di Portofino if you ever come across it. It too reminds me of YSL Homme, only stronger and better - though I was surprised to see on some sites that it is supposedly unisex also.
    Renato

Yep, I had a bottle of this once upon a time. I'd know it if I smelled it today, but I can't quite describe what it smells like. The best I can come up with is a "sharp fruitiness," sort of like cherries. It's very light, you can practically bathe in it. It's one of the few bottles of cologne I've ever completely finished.

It's also supposed to have some sort of "firming" function, but I can't say I ever noticed anything like that. Then again, I was in my 20s at the time I wore it.

Hope this helps,

-- Tim
    Life is a banquet...and I got botulism! -- Me

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilSF
    Yep, I had a bottle of this once upon a time. I'd know it if I smelled it today, but I can't quite describe what it smells like. The best I can come up with is a "sharp fruitiness," sort of like cherries. It's very light, you can practically bathe in it. It's one of the few bottles of cologne I've ever completely finished.

It's also supposed to have some sort of "firming" function, but I can't say I ever noticed anything like that. Then again, I was in my 20s at the time I wore it.

Hope this helps,

-- Tim
    Thanks Tim. Yes, it's got Aloe and other stuff that's supposed to make it good for your skin.

Interesting how you actually finished a bottle of it. It must have had something going for it for you.
    Renato

Serpent

A cherry smell actually is starting to sound right, but maybe I'm thinking of Clarins' ParAmour.

Smile Re: Clarins Eau Dynamisante

I bought my bottle about 2 years ago, on a whim as a refreshing scent. It is sold in Australia as a womens scent, and I had no idea it was considered unisex till I found this board. I enjoy its heady fresh feeling, but it doesn't stick on me - does it on anybody?

It is the only unisex fragrance in my collection.

I don't like citrusy scents, for instance Aromatics is my most hated perfume, but I love Eau Dynamisante. Go figure!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WidgeryWinks
    I bought my bottle about 2 years ago, on a whim as a refreshing scent. It is sold in Australia as a womens scent, and I had no idea it was considered unisex till I found this board. I enjoy its heady fresh feeling, but it doesn't stick on me - does it on anybody?

It is the only unisex fragrance in my collection.

I don't like citrusy scents, for instance Aromatics is my most hated perfume, but I love Eau Dynamisante. Go figure!
    Is it really your only unisex scent?
    I've now got another 15ml bottle of it, as my ladyfriend gave me hers, saying she was never going to wear it.
    With three out of three women around me rejecting it outright, I have to wonder just how unisex this scent really is, despite the fact that it has mostly postive reviews at the Basenotes Directory by women?

I will give it a good testing out for longevity one day soon. If it lasts the entire day I may consider that 200ml bottle for $59 at Strawberrynet.
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 4th September 2006 at 12:28 AM.