Code of Conduct

Default Compliments on Perfume

I never get compliments on my perfume, even though I use good ones. I get compliments when I wear body spray, though.
    What am I doing wrong?

Default Re: Compliments on Perfume

I very seldom get compliments on my perfumes, too!

Maybe you put on too little, or too much? I really don`t know...

You're not doing something "wrong".

First, look at which body sprays get you compliments. What kind of notes do they have? How heavily do you apply them? How much sillage do they have? When do you get compliments? Who is giving you compliments?

Then ask yourself the same questions about your perfumes. Very often pure parfum doesn't have much sillage. It's also very intense, so you might not apply much. Those two alone would explain the lack of compliments... noone else is able to detect your scent. There could be other reasons too tho, like you tend to choose body sprays with notes that work exceptionally well on you, and your perfumes are not so well suited to your skin. Or you tend to wear body sprays more in situations where people will have the opportunity to notice your scent, and perfume less often.

Really the only time I get compliments on my perfume is when my boyfriend is snuggling close to me. He may enjoy it a great deal at other times, but chances are he's not going to *say* anything. I also tend to wear scents with very minimal sillage. So other people aren't likely to really notice that my scent is coming from me particularly. I'm ok with this, since I wear perfume for me to enjoy, and secondarily for my boyfriend to enjoy. For me it's a very intimate thing, so other people noticing would feel like a bit much.

Emily

Quote Originally Posted by Torrilin
    You're not doing something "wrong".
    I'm ok with this, since I wear perfume for me to enjoy, and secondarily for my boyfriend to enjoy.

Emily
    Very well said Emily. When you do that and enjoy it, you feel confident, comfortable, happy and be more productive. When that happens people notice and the compliments will follow.

So Nicole enjoy your fumes for yourself, and stop worrying about compliments, they will come eventually .
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"

If I notice a perfume I like I will comment on it - and ask what it is if I like it. But I must admit the perfumes I notice are often very strong ones - and to be honest you soon end up finding their perfume trail a little obvious and overpowering.

I think a womans fragrance should be subtle and alluring, I know we should wear it for ourselves, but doesn't the minx in us want some cute guy to notice.

I wore cheap and cheerful Panache regularly about 10 years ago and a male colleague commented on my nice perfume. But he spoilt it by telling me his mother wore the same one!

So you see you, never really know what turns a guy on!

I rarely get compliments, but I know it's because I like unusual and unisex fragrances. It's ok, I wear them for myself anyways.

Compliments from strangers are a sure thing here, but those from Mr.Twolf are scarce, and something like: "The coffee pot smells of your perfume" is a compiment here!

Agree with Torrilin about just the right amount.

I think I've gone through cycles of receiving many compliments, daily and even more then once a day... and then nothing for a while... and then out of nowhere just when I thought "Hmmm no more compliments for me!" I will start receiving them all over again...

Surprisingly however, I am not complimented on fragrances that used to earn me compliments years ago these days... No, these days I receive exuberant amount of compliments on the likes of Lancome's Hypnose, L'Instant de Guerlain (more then once, even twice a day - so you will notice me having worn this a lot lately ), Anglomania and Euphoria... while years ago those compliments used to be given me on Sun by Jil Sander, and Samsara & Champs Elysees by Guerlain... now they don't really get that many compliments... but still do once in a while…
    Last edited by Goddess_Dreams; 5th September 2006 at 05:24 PM.
    "Of the five senses, the sense of smell is incontestably the one that best conveys a sense of immortality."

Salvador Dali

I'm another one of those who wears perfume every day with no comments at all =/ sometimes I wear perfume oil. Sometimes it's EDT or EDP. And I wear all sorts, although I do prefer orientals a bit more. It's frustrating!

Fleurs d 'Oranger by Serge Lutens gets me the most compliments than all of my perfumes combined. This floral is a killer!
    Other scents that get me compliments but to a much lesser degree: Musc Ravageur, Tubereuse Criminelle, Tubereuse de Caron, Clair de Musc, Cedre, La Nuit, Nombre Noir, Feminite du Bois.
    Perfumes that I love but never get me complimented, Mitsouko, Santal de Mysore, Biche dans l 'Absinthe, Seve Exquise, Sous le Buis.

I noticed ethnic men compliment more on perfumes than white american males - only ethnic men complimented me wearing Musc Ravageur, Feminite du Bois and Cedre.

It's a pity we can't view your 'drobe .

I love giving a woman a compliment about her frag if it deserves it.

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

I got a compliment today on the scent i was wearing. I had Diorissimo on and a woman (i work at a hotel) said it was very nice. She also said she does'nt let her husband wear cologne because it makes her sneeze but what i had on was "very nice".
    Awesomeguy

Approximately 10 minutes after my mother commented on how Dior Addict smelled a bit "elderly" on me, I had an employee at a clothing store sniff over the counter and exclaim "What are you wearing?! I love it." Take that Mom!; I'm rocking it Golden Girls style... =)

Last week Mr.Tinker424 sniffed the air and said "What smells so good? What perfume are you wearing? Whatever it is I love it!!"

It was queen of the granny scents...TABU by Dana

OOhhh

I usually get compliments from any boys who get close to me ( hugs) and sometimes when I walk past people in the office I get a convo from someone saying they figured it was me smelling oh so very lovely.

I think silage is greatly improved by one spray on the back of your neck ( so I have been told here before).

I've gotten compliments when I've worn Tolu, Cristobal, AA Pamplelune, AA Ylang & Vanille, Vanille Exquise, Fath de Fath, Ginger Musk, Vanille Coco and Wanderlust. I think most of the time I don't wear enough fragrance though and no one else can smell what I'm wearing.

i never get compliments from perfumes that i usually wear. ( i love oriental - vanilla )

however i get attention / compliments from perfumes which im not comfortable in, like burberry weekend or jean paul gaultier classique. ( florals!)

but i guess i value my opinion more than others so i stick to my fave's even without compliments.

i can live with that.
    "Where should one use perfume?" a young woman asked. "Wherever one wants to be kissed," I said. - Coco Chanel

I find that if I wear the same fragrance for more then a week at a time I receive more compliments on it... friends start to comment on my scent as they associate that particular fragrance with me... however I rarely ever stay with the same fragrance for more then a day or two...
    "Of the five senses, the sense of smell is incontestably the one that best conveys a sense of immortality."

Salvador Dali

Talking Re: Compliments on Perfume

When I wear Addict or Dune I get loads of compliments they work well with my skin and both last all day I was even complimented by a young boy the other day he said "you smell nice just like my mum" I was wearing Addict

We should have a poll on whether or not people get compliments on their fragrance. I have only had one compliment ever (from someone besides my husband). I was wearing Rosine's La Coupe d'Or a couple of days ago and a man said I smelled good. I must say, I liked getting a compliment!

we addicts never get enough compliments! argh! don't you wish girlfriend smelled good like me. ahahhaha. hi pussycat dolls.
    "Where should one use perfume?" a young woman asked. "Wherever one wants to be kissed," I said. - Coco Chanel

I like to wear and test a lot of Perfumes, so people who know that, often come closer and give a comment, negative or positive, that´s good! But small doses are the best, so I seldom get compliments from strangers . I want the perfume softly waft arround me, not to offend half of the subway ( I like e.g. pepper, strong incense, wood, herbs and spices...). But there is one, I get compliments all the way, even from strangers: good old Chaos from Donna Karan and second is Fumerie Turque!

Unhappy Re: Compliments on Perfume

I almost never get compliment for parfums I wear - only when men give me a hug or something. Spesially if I wear Champs Elysees by Guerlain...

These frags I´ve got compliments for:

Cristobal
    Prada
    L´Instant de Guerlain
    Gucci EdP II
    J´Adore
    Ralph Hot
    Armani City Glam

I guess these frags "stick out" in my collection, and I do wear them with care today. Of course I want compliments, but it is double, too... I don´t want my frags to be in the face of others. I´m the happiest not getting compliments...
    Last edited by Margareta; 1st October 2006 at 07:21 AM.
    Faves right now: Chanel No 19, Stella Rose Absolute, L´Heure Bleu, Elixir de Merveilles, Samsara.

Frags That I Have complimented a woman on before:

Versace Red Jeans (wonderful rose then switches to a sweet amber smell ....a diamond in the rough.... the first i smelled it I hated it and I revisited it and now love it! and its cheap!)

Victoris Secret Amber Romance
    D and G Light Blue
    Escade Magnetism (yum)
    Omnia ...not sure who makes it
    Lolita lempicka

Its kinda funny...alot of frags women compliment other woman on and those are the frags the woman buys..... but I don't like the fragrance whatsoever in terms of attraction....I do not find alot of women who wear frags that most guys like, rather they go by what other women say about them and if they smell good or not....get a guys opinion you might be suprised! Same goes for guys women have complimented me on frags in my wardrobe that I think are only so-so....but my Homerun frags I love I never get compliments on!

This may just be me...but STAY AWAY from florals..I cannot stand them on a woman and I have only found a few guys who like them primarily....they smell too sharp and fake to me and some give me a horrible headache.

I never get compiments either so I don't really understand it when people write on this forum that they had people chasing them down to ask the name of their perfume. I think maybe the fragrance heads here have friends that know that they are really into perfume so they notice it more and comment on it.

I typically get at least one compliment a week on my frag. I think it's because I can be heavy handed with the number of sprays I spray and that I work in an office with a lot of women. I tend to be the last to arrive at work (hehe) so me and my fragrance tend to make an entrance

Scents I get the most compliments from:

Bond No 9 Success is a Job (Women)
    Bond No 9 Nuits de Noho (Men & Women)
    Jo Malone Blue Agava & Cacao (Men & Women)
    Balenciaga Paris (Women)
    SL Datura Noir (Hubby)
    Atelier Cologne Bois Blonds (Women)
    Creed Royal Oud (Women)
    Those listed above & everything else in my collection (Me!!!)

I almost never get compliments on my perfumes !
    However, I finally got some lately, one was Balmain de Balmain, and twice (unasked) from my fragrance hating husband, he like ''Tabu'' applied with great care and subtlety, and Aperçu!
    “Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.”
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

I don't expect or do I care if I get a compliment on my perfume. If I do it comes as a pleasant surprise. I wear it because I like it and couldn't give a monkey's what others think of it.

I was complimented this week on Cuir de Lancome, with the reply Oh thank you.

Before that it was Daim Blond and Ambre Sultan. Strangely usually when food shopping.
    DONNA

Daim Blond got me the last (of the very seldom) compliment. I don't care for them either as I wear perfum for my own confort and pleaseure, but I still feel thankful when it happens.

I am always very pleased if somebody shares my joy in my perfume, so I really enjoy it when I am given a compliment on it. I immediately made a sample of my Balmain de Balmain and gave it next day to the person who liked it enough to compliment me on it.
    And it definitely pleases me to smell good to my husband.
    “Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.”
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

I do wear my perfumes for myself, but making other people feel good when they smell it is a good bonus to me.
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

I get many compliments when I wear Violetta di Parma in both its vintage and current versions.
    Amouage Epic Woman also gathers me compliments.
    Besides those, it's usually the bright cheerful things like Rose Ikebana that people compliment me most on.

Friends and coworkers know that I am into fragrances. They have no problem voicing their likes or dislikes and know that I take constructive criticism well. Sometimes when I'm sampling a new fragrance, someone might tell me how much they are enjoying the fragrance and then I tell them how much I'm not. lol
    - Expect the unexpected

Vanilla based scents usually get me compliments :
    Cristobal
    Cuir Beluga
    Douceur de la Vanille
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.

Considering the number of fragrances I buy and love I am always stunned by the one fragrance that I get complimented on the most.

*White* by Commes des Garcons....and I don't even know if it is a *girly* fragrance! *Tam dao* comes close and it always confuses me as I love floral and green fragrances like Une Rose, Angel, Nahema, Portrait of a Lady and perhaps the ultimate summer fragrance for me *frappe* by INUX.

My boyfriend is as quick to dismiss as compliment........if he doesn't like a fragrance he just calls it *insect spray*!

In recent times I have gotten compliments on:

Alahine
    Fendi
    Belle en Rykiel
    Rumba

Don't you always wonder why we, perfumistas(in all different kind of stages) who reaaaally care about scents, and who-almost sure-smell better than 95% of the people around us, get compliments like..like...close to never?? And don't you always have this feeling, that everybody else, wearing really common stuff, gets complimented 24x7??

Yes! you nailed it! That was somewhere in my sub-conscious all the time and you put it into words.
    How come that we, who put so much thought and effort (not to forget pocket money) into acquiring and wearing the most delicious, delectable and wonderful perfumes, not only for our own delight but to better the world around us, don't get the compliments we so richly deserve????
    There's something very wrong here....
    Last edited by FrouFrou; 10th November 2011 at 12:45 PM.
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

I really think a lot of it depends on how much you wear - it must be noticeable - and where you live. I get compliments all the time (and on very commercial, mainstream fragrances as well as high-end or niche perfumes) in New Orleans, although any sort of compliment was an extremely rare occurrence in Milwaukee. I suppose it also helps if you look approachable in addition to smelling wonderful.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Can't wait to get to New Orleans!!!!!
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

Y'all are definitely in for a treat! And in addition to having a wonderful time, I bet you catch a compliment or two ...people are pretty friendly and flirty down here, lol! Just be sure that others can actually smell it!
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Only two that have elicited compliments are:

Caldy Island Lavender
    Gypsy Water, by Byredo
    Last edited by lil mo; 8th November 2011 at 11:11 PM. Reason: spelling

I have always yearned to get at least one compliment (a single one!) on Chanel 5. I never did. Even when I would solicit an opinion I would get an either luke warm "eh...nice" from my husband or "powder" from my aunt. Until one day when I understood that this perfume does not love me, as much as I was crazy to make it work on me.
    I gave it up.

Generally speaking, I don't get many compliments on perfume but those I remember receiving some compliments on were Samsara, Euphoria (Calvin Klein) and...please don't assassinate me, Oxygen, Lanvin. However, the last time I wore the latter was very long ago, and I would not be caught dead wearing it now.

What is Oxygen? Never heard of it?
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

Quote Originally Posted by FrouFrou View Post
    What is Oxygen? Never heard of it?
    You probably shouldn't anyway. :-)

OK...it's Oxygene.
    Last edited by syracusa; 9th November 2011 at 03:32 AM.

I now feel a perverse desire to smell Oxygene...
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

Quote Originally Posted by FrouFrou View Post
    I now feel a perverse desire to smell Oxygene...
    Funny :-). I wanted to use some emoticons here but can't find any.

It is a very commercial, large mass-appeal, smelling clean, proper and completely face-less fragrance - the kind that used to be available in stores like Marshalls.

Before my Parosmia condition set in, I used to like it a bit, when I was in my 20's. Not anymore. :-)

Ah yes, I can imagine, what I call to myself the ''cucumber'' scents.
    Never appealed to me.
    More is more in my opinion
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

I average about one compliment a year on fragrances: this year's was Kenzo Flower (last month), and last year it was Womanity. Previous honors go to Badgley Mishka, Must de Cartier and Alyssa Ashley Musk.

Quote Originally Posted by sabregoddess View Post
    Approximately 10 minutes after my mother commented on how Dior Addict smelled a bit "elderly" on me, I had an employee at a clothing store sniff over the counter and exclaim "What are you wearing?! I love it." Take that Mom!; I'm rocking it Golden Girls style... =)
    I used to wear Dior Addict, then another woman in the office started wearing it, and it ruined it for me ...didn't she know it was MINE....?!

The last compliment I got was from a man I worked with, when I was wearing Coco by Chanel. I think perhaps it reminded him of when he was a younger (single) man. He had a very wolfish smile as he told me how fantastic it was.

Now that the weather has got cooler I have fallen delightedly back into the arms of Mitsouko. I don't care if I never get complimented, I love it enough for the rest of the world.

I have decided it is time to wear fragrances with more sillage. I got tired of not getting compliments either. NOw I am going to get some decants of Black Aoud which has great sillage. The first time I put it on my wrist, I could feel it tickling my nose even when my wrist wasnt anywhere near my nose.

I think compliments relate to who you would like to please as much as to what you choose to wear. I work in the schools, and have found that children smile and warm up to me when I wear Light Blue. When I wear it, I inevitably hear, "you smell good". Being children, their opinions are pure, honest, and unsolicited. They are who I see every day, so I'd have to say, Light Blue works for me.