Code of Conduct

Default What are some clean fresh scents?

Scents that make you smell so fresh and so clean?

Default Re: What are some clean fresh scents?

Live Jazz
    Cool Water
    Geir (for a little while)
    Chrome

I am not a fresh wearer...

How about Clean Man for a start? I also think Gendarme and Tommy T might be right up your alley as well.

Mugler Cologne is about as fresh and clean (and soapy) smelling as I've ever seen (smelled)

CK One is a notorious clean/fresh/white musk while Dunhill (one of my favs) smells like someone fresh from an old fashioned Brittish barber shop and is a clean/fresh/musk scent.

As far as citrus and aquatic fresh smells, I'd say leau par kenzo. It is super bright and fresh, not borderline floor cleaner scent like many other's like it.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Fresh and clean in a classic way: Lacoste Original (1984) e Van Cleef & Arpels Tsar
    Fresh and clean:
    - Halston Unbound
    - Azzaro Chrome
    - CK Crave
    - Tommy T
    - Davidoff Echo
    - Polo Black
    - Paris Hilton

Serpent

Geez, there are scads and scads of "clean, fresh" scents. The funny thing is, with their strong, harsh, bitter chemicals, most of the scents that people think of as "fresh" smell really stale to me. I worked in a place where I was trapped with coworkers wearing "clean, fresh" things like 212 Men and Polo Blue, and they drove me insane, that hard smell of plastic. The worst was the guy dousing himself in Acqua di Giò. When your "clean, fresh" scent makes you smell like you need a shower, it's time to change. (A lot of guys bathe in these things as they think they're so clean and fresh. Put on half a quart of these things, and you don't smell fresh at all.) Fake aquatics drive me bonkers as they strike me as really unclean, a rush of detergents and petrochemicals presented as "water." Ick.

That said, there are some scents that have a nice, light, fresh-scrubbed smell without going the Eau de Bilgewater route:

Eau de Cartier: This one works as it's not trying to replicate water with overused detergent notes. Green, light, and slightly sweet from the violet leaf notes, this one has that fantastic silvery tang that Comme des Garçons 2 also features. This is massively synthetic, but it wears its artificiality on the outside, not trying to duplicate the smell of something natural with something man-made. It has an icy cool quality like cold vodka.

Live Jazz: Live Jazz opens with grapefruit paired with mint and coriander leaf, more commonly recognized by its Spanish name cilantro in America. These notes combine to make an opening that smells like a mojito on the skin, that cocktail the girls who have grown past Midori sours love to order in the summertime. Coriander leaf has a slightly soapy smell and taste, so Live Jazz has a "clean" aspect, and the scent remains light, bracing, and just a bit sweet.

Eau des Merveilles: This scent has an ocean theme, as do many "clean, fresh" fragrances, but this one doesn't use synthetics along the calone route to give the impression of water. Rather, this scent manipulates notes, turning them upside-down with a cool citrus-musk base. At the center is a soft, salty note like the wind off the cool sea. It's light and gives the feeling of being at the sea without the harsh chemical afterburn.

Kenzo pour Homme: You want to smell like the sea? Then smell like the sea. This one doesn't pussyfoot around the real smell of the ocean as pretty much every other marine or aquatic scent does. After all, the ocean isn't as clean and fresh as we'd like to think. This one is all about the smell of brine and seaweed in all its bitter, salty, slightly fetid glory. The base of smooth, light wood gives it a natural underpinning. It may not have the laundry detergent smell of other ocean-themed scents, but it has a more natural quality (in its decidedly unnatural way) that is much more refreshing, both figuratively and literally.

Prada Man: This one is dividing people right now, but I see the fresh aspect of this fragrance, the just-out-of-the-shower quality. It has a light citrus eau de cologne smell up top and a fresh, light amber base that doesn't go fully sweet. The ingredients all blend and merge to the slightly tangy, astringent smell of black India tea. It remains close to the skin and slightly tart but with a subtle warmth.

Mugler Cologne/Lacoste Essential: There's nothing like a traditional eau de cologne to smell fresh and clean in a timeless way. Citrus, petitgrain, floral notes: This is the classic, natural smell of freshness. Sadly, this citrus-heavy combination generally has poor longevity, and for the fragrance to remain fresh, it has to eschew strong fixatives like musks or woods. 4711 is the legendary eau de cologne that all others follow; its city of origin (Cologne, Germany) even gives the category its name. Acqua di Parma is the most luxurious of the traditional eaux de cologne ("colonia" in Italian). Eau d'Orange Verte goes a more herbal, green route, with bracing notes of mint and more exotic tropical fruit notes replacing the many of the traditional florals. But as these scents can vanish in a flash - I used to have Guerlain's Eau de Cologne Impériale, and it seemed to disappear while I was spraying it on - I prefer the slightly more fleshed-out versions of the traditional eau de cologne. Mugler Cologne takes the citrus-green-floral combination and pins it to the skin with a bed of light, modern musks. While certainly not as light as something like 4711 or other true eaux de cologne, this is one that sticks around more than a few minutes. Lacoste Essential takes it one step further, mutating the notes. The citrus is eclipsed by a fuller note of black currant, while the rose note is blown up large. But the green quality is still there, and it lasts longer than a traditional eau de cologne ever does, even if it must rely on a somewhat ho-hum synthetic base.

Series 6 Synthetic: Soda: The Synthetic Series is, ultimately, a parody of the plastic-fantastic fragrances to which Americans in particular are so partial. While there are harsh, disconcerting notes at the center - Tar smells like a freshly-paved road; Garage smells of gas, grease, and rubber hoses; Dry Clean has the harsh chemical smell of clothes fresh from the dry cleaner; and Skai smells of freshly-extruded vinyl - under and around these notes are the same smell as in all those stereotypical "clean, fresh" scents from Hugo-Ralph Kleinfiger. The most wearable of all these is this line's Soda, which starts bright and sweet like lemon-lime soda (Sprite or 7-Up). These are not real citrus notes but heightened, artificial ones. As it dries, the sweetness dies, a smooth mineral quality takes over, and the sweet soda turns into cold Perrier with a twist of lemon-lime. There is wit and lightness in this scent - it would be great for wearing to a summer barbecue or to the beach - combined with a deep artistic concept.
    Last edited by Serpent; 4th September 2006 at 05:14 PM.

I find a nice cold shower, then a spray of -

Geir
    SMW

or the ultimate Aqua Motu! super fresh!
    coor blimey mary poppins, is that Aqua Motu or the penguins?

Quote Originally Posted by KingMist
    Scents that make you smell so fresh and so clean?
    Fresh and clean: http://www.cleanperfume.com/home.cfm

L'eau Par kenzo PH
    Eau de Rochas
    Eau de Cartier Concentrée
    Pasha Fraîcheur Menthe (cartier)

Yeah Lacoste original is a really good one too.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Would you consider Chanel Allure a clean scent. Mugler and Eau de Cartier sound pretty good

Serpent

Would you consider Chanel Allure a clean scent.
    I wouldn't put it in that class. Allure Homme has a lot of citrus, and it's lighter than the other men's Chanels, but it has a sweet base. It's not heavy, but this oriental is not fresh and clean to me. The only attempts Chanel has made at fresh and clean is Allure Homme Sport, which has aquatic notes on bitter wood. It's got a Chanel sort of reserve to it, but otherwise, there's nothing special about Allure Homme Sport.

Also, beware Clean Men. It's supposed to smell like one just stepped out of the shower, but I'd hate to meet the guy who's showering with all that fruit juice. It smells like cheap fruit candies, like SweetTarts or Nerds. That's supposed to be clean? It's more like someone just gave Hanae Mori HM a quick shampoo...

royal scottish lavender, selection verte, silver mountain water,r de capucci, acqua di parma, bois de cedrat, any other citrus.

geir does have a "mountain fresh" note but has so much else going on I wouldn't put it in this catagory.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

I am already starting to make my chirstmas list. I am looking for three colognes. So far it includes

One of these: (I am getting the decants and need to smell them to narrow it down)
    Chanel Allure
    Green Irish Tweed
    Live Jazz
    D and G PH

Then I want a clean fresh scent which what this topic is about.
    Then I know I am getting PI. That is a def for me.

Jo Malone Grapefruit. Now that's fresh!
    My Current Top 5: Terre d'Hermès | Terre de Bois by Miller Harris | Isfarkand by Ormonde Jayne | Brit for Men by Burberry | Grapefruit by Jo Malone

Wardrobe / Reviews

This was a scent I had never heard of ,until I sampled it:
    Solo by Loewe.
    It's never too late to mend.

WARDROBE:http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1256

Very Sexy For Him 1, it smells like a lighter and less sweeter version of Eternity. Light musk, that smells like Green Apples.
    "...but I also can't prove that mushrooms could not be intergalactic spaceships spying on us." Daniel C. Dennett

Top 5
    Heritage 2. Antaeus3.Kouros 4. Drakkar Noir 5. Montana PDH

Good, detailed post Serpent - however I am surprised you left out Gendarme/Gendarme 20 from your list.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp
    Good, detailed post Serpent - however I am surprised you left out Gendarme/Gendarme 20 from your list.
    I wouldn't be surprised if the Gendarmes fall within the lines of the "trying to be fresh but ends up plasticky and gross" scents that Serpent was talking about.

Two more fresh (but not in your face fresh) scents that I like that I don't think have been mentioned yet (sorry if they have I read this thread much earlier today): Philosykos, and one that is slightly less fresh but still has some fresh elements, Gris Clair.

Quote Originally Posted by Serpent
    I wouldn't put it in that class. Allure Homme has a lot of citrus, and it's lighter than the other men's Chanels, but it has a sweet base. It's not heavy, but this oriental is not fresh and clean to me. The only attempts Chanel has made at fresh and clean is Allure Homme Sport, which has aquatic notes on bitter wood. It's got a Chanel sort of reserve to it, but otherwise, there's nothing special about Allure Homme Sport.

Also, beware Clean Men. It's supposed to smell like one just stepped out of the shower, but I'd hate to meet the guy who's showering with all that fruit juice. It smells like cheap fruit candies, like SweetTarts or Nerds. That's supposed to be clean? It's more like someone just gave Hanae Mori HM a quick shampoo...

Clean Men STARTS fruity, but in 20min of less ends up like a bar of soap, with that "sweet" opening making only guest appearances from time to time. It's actually quite nice.

Serpent

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp
    Because this post is supposed to be about "clean, fresh" scents we actually like. A whole lot of lemon with a little bit of musk? Eh. Not impresssed.

Excellent ideas so far. Keep them coming. So far I want to sample Mugler and Eau de Cartier

Paco Rabanne. Very classic and super clean. It's actually too clean for me.

Cool Water summer fizz. Smooth fresh lemon scent.

Which do you guys like better Geir or Eau de Cartier?

Serpent

Which do you guys like better Geir or Eau de Cartier?
    I can answer that for the board: They like Geir.

Which is more fresh and cleaner Geir or Cartier?

Geir, only the top notes smell anything close to Clean, the drydown is sweet woody,floral and vanilla. Not clean in my opinion.
    "...but I also can't prove that mushrooms could not be intergalactic spaceships spying on us." Daniel C. Dennett

Top 5
    Heritage 2. Antaeus3.Kouros 4. Drakkar Noir 5. Montana PDH

Serpent

Which is more fresh and cleaner Geir or Cartier?
    For a clean, fresh scent, the Cartier is probably the way to go.

Blog Entries

My favorites for a clean & soapy feeling:

Thierry Mugler Cologne
    CK Be
    Gendarme (getting this one very soon!)
    Clean Men (hopefully getting this one soon)
    Clinique Happy
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Live Jazz is certainly a smart choice. CK One (as sited above), can be a bit floral (which may not be fresh to all noses). I too am not a fan of aqua based frag's so I obviously wouldn't recommend any of those.

Dior Higher
    Chanel Allure Sport
    Kenzo Pour Homme
    Acca Kappa White Moss
    Acqua Di Parma Colonia

Bulgari Acqua, Eau Sauvage, Agua de Loewe, Citrus Paradisi by Czech and Speake, GFT by Trumpers, Gieffeffe Gianfrance Ferrre, Paco by Paco Rabanne, Tangerine Vert by Miller Harris, Mandarine by Comptoir Sud Pacifique, Portugal by Geo F. Trumper, Grapefruit by Jo Malone, Capucci pour Homme,One Summer by Calvin Klein, L"Eau Par Kenzo Pour Homme by Kenzo, Cologne A L'Italienne by Intitut Tres Bien, Eau du Sud by Annick Goutal, Acqua Classica by Borsari, Acqua di Colognia by Lorenzo Villoresi, Cologne Bigarade by Frederic Malle: Edition de Parfums, Eau de Cologne Imperiale by Guerlain, Eau De Jade by Armani Prive, Eau Fraiche by Caron, Dynamissante by Clarins, Mediterraneo by Carthusia, L'Eau de L'Artisan byh L'Artisan Pafrumeur, Mugler Cologne, Series 4 Cologne: Citrco by Comme des Garcons, Acqua di Portofino by Portofino, Aqua di Roma Uomo by Laura Biagotti, Cloean Men by Clean, Colonia Russa by Sta. Maria Novella, Eau Forte by Caron, Hamptons by Bond No. 9, Exlite by Floris, Extract of Limes by Penhalgion, Jil Sander Sun Men by Jil Sander, Neroli Sauvage by Creed. Just to name a few.
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

I'm surprised nobody mentioned Helmut Lang edc. Nice and clean without being watery or plasticky.

Thrax

Quote Originally Posted by aubrgene
    Bulgari Acqua, Eau Sauvage, Agua de Loewe, Citrus Paradisi by Czech and Speake, GFT by Trumpers, Gieffeffe Gianfrance Ferrre, Paco by Paco Rabanne, Tangerine Vert by Miller Harris, Mandarine by Comptoir Sud Pacifique, Portugal by Geo F. Trumper, Grapefruit by Jo Malone, Capucci pour Homme,One Summer by Calvin Klein, L"Eau Par Kenzo Pour Homme by Kenzo, Cologne A L'Italienne by Intitut Tres Bien, Eau du Sud by Annick Goutal, Acqua Classica by Borsari, Acqua di Colognia by Lorenzo Villoresi, Cologne Bigarade by Frederic Malle: Edition de Parfums, Eau de Cologne Imperiale by Guerlain, Eau De Jade by Armani Prive, Eau Fraiche by Caron, Dynamissante by Clarins, Mediterraneo by Carthusia, L'Eau de L'Artisan byh L'Artisan Pafrumeur, Mugler Cologne, Series 4 Cologne: Citrco by Comme des Garcons, Acqua di Portofino by Portofino, Aqua di Roma Uomo by Laura Biagotti, Cloean Men by Clean, Colonia Russa by Sta. Maria Novella, Eau Forte by Caron, Hamptons by Bond No. 9, Exlite by Floris, Extract of Limes by Penhalgion, Jil Sander Sun Men by Jil Sander, Neroli Sauvage by Creed. Just to name a few.
    I kept reading and reading and when I finally got to the bottom and it said "just to name a few" I laughed so hard I nearly broke a rib.

Serpent

Quote Originally Posted by baron
    I'm surprised nobody mentioned Helmut Lang edc. Nice and clean without being watery or plasticky.
    I love Helmut Lang Eau de Cologne, but I'd put that in a related-but-parallel category of "well-groomed" scents, a group that includes scents like Pour un Homme, Mouchoir de Monsieur, and Zizanie. They have a somewhat powdery characteristic, generally balanced by the fresh, astringent smell of lavender, and they draw attention to the wearer's "toilette," so to speak. Instead of saying, "I just stepped out of the shower and/or ocean," they say, "I've scrubbed and polished and pomaded myself to look and smell good." The three Dior Homme eaux de cologne and Santa Maria Novella's Melograno would fit into this category as well. Prada Man straddles the line between clean and well-groomed with its amber base under a more contemporary fresh top.

As powderiness has fallen from favor, this type of scent has virtually disappeared. Helmut Lang, with its powdery musks under lavender and vanilla, is the best of the few contemporary additions to this group around.

I tend to go for the barbershop-style scents for clean and fresh...I enjoy Truefitt and Hill's 1805 and West Indian Limes for this purpose.

All great scents. I want to test some of them but do you think places like Jcpenny and Macys will have them?

Serpent

All great scents. I want to test some of them but do you think places like Jcpenny and Macys will have them?
    I don't know what's at JCPenney, but from what's at your average Macy's, the best of the selection will likely be Mugler Cologne, Lacoste Essential, and Givenchy pour Homme. (I prefer the original Givenchy pour Homme in the burgundy bottle over the more aquatic Blue Label.) Even the high-end Macy's stores often have pretty shoddy selections as far as men's scents are concerned.

Also there, you should also find L'Eau d'Issey pour Homme, L'Eau Bleue d'Issey pour Homme, Acqua di Giò pour Homme, Nautica Voyage, Bulgari Aqua pour Homme, Reaction for Men, Happy for Men, Dunhill Fresh, Beyond Paradise for Men, and Marc Jacobs Men. There may be more or less depending on the store.

JCPenney is supposedly having their beauty departments changed over to mini Sephoras or the like, but who knows what Sephora will choose to sell there, if the change has been made yet. (I haven't been to a JCPenney in years.)

Just one more addition that I think it fits the bill for "clean" AND "fresh" :
    Nightflight by JOOP!
    http://www.basenotes.net/ID26121174.html
    Did I mention that this one is my SOTD ?
    It's never too late to mend.

WARDROBE:http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1256

Live Jazz and GIT give me a pretty fresh feeling. I am getting dunhill fresh soon so maybe that will be even fresher.

Acqua di Biella BARAJA is my new absolute favorite in the clean, fresh category.
    Current faves: CdG White, Amouage Dia, Millesime Imperial, Miller Harris Terre de Bois

Mark Birley: lickably clean but not a "Fresh" scent after the opening

Quote Originally Posted by supermarky
    Mark Birley: lickably clean but not a "Fresh" scent after the opening
    Really? I find it ozonic but not clean at all. It has a dirty feeling to it which makes me like it a bit, but my brother and girlfriend to hate it.