Code of Conduct

Default thanks & compliments + friends' frags'

Hi everyone,

I'd like to say thanks for the help you've (unwittingly) been to me in choosing an new fragrance. Also my compliments to the creators of this site - this place is the IMDb of perfume! I'm looking forward to learning the do's & dont's of scents, so I'll be checking out the "Just starting out" topics for now.

I've had Eternity (favorite), Kenzo (grew on me, like it a lot) and Pi (OK, but too sweet). Intensive research on this site gave me a list of some 15 fragrances that I tested and compared in shops. I ended up with Vetiver by Guerlain and I love it (and so does my girlfriend).

I'm sure nobody wants a fragrance that one of their buddies regularly wears, so I passed on Fahrenheit (which I really like a lot). I was considering Kiton (not too many fans here), until I got to the base-notes and regognized it as the fragrance of another buddy! It does make me wonder though, do my friends and I share taste or do I like those fragrance because they smell like my friends?
    Last edited by basbreurken; 12th September 2006 at 11:53 AM.

Default Re: thanks & compliments + friends' frags'

Welcome, I am new here, too! It could be that some of you share the same tastes, you are also all living in the same environment and may be involved in similar activities. All of those make a difference in what attracts me to a scent and what doesn't. I really notice it because I have lived in several different climates and cities/towns. Of course, I don't want to smell like the next person, either, so look for things that no one else is wearing and never wear the same scent as anyone I'm around a lot.

I noticed Sephora is carrying a new lighter version of Vetiver, called Vetiver Sport. Sounds fabulous!

Thanks for the welcome! The environment, hmmm, hadn't thought of that (yes, I'm a newbie). I'm pretty new to this stuff (Eternity was my choice, Pi & Kenzo were gifts), but I can imagine the frustration of a best friend beating you to a great new fragrance.

I don't know about Sephora, but the Guerlain-scent was mentioned in some reviews of the scents I owned, shared notes with the ones I owned, was awarded on this site and got an immediate response from my girl, so I didn't try any other Vetivers. Plus it's from 1961, which is cool because I'm old-fashioned too!

Quote Originally Posted by basbreurken
    Thanks for the welcome! The environment, hmmm, hadn't thought of that (yes, I'm a newbie). I'm pretty new to this stuff (Eternity was my choice, Pi & Kenzo were gifts), but I can imagine the frustration of a best friend beating you to a great new fragrance.

I don't know about Sephora, but the Guerlain-scent was mentioned in some reviews of the scents I owned, shared notes with the ones I owned, was awarded on this site and got an immediate response from my girl, so I didn't try any other Vetivers. Plus it's from 1961, which is cool because I'm old-fashioned too!
    First... WELCOME!!

If you have basenotes, then your friend will never beat you to another fragrance again. You'll have the 411 on everything coming out and everything that's been out for years. Niche stuff is just around the corner.

If you don't like Pi then try Hugo Boss - #6 (bottled) and Lacoste - pour homme and Jean Paul Gaultier. They are all vanilla based, sweet fragrances. You might like one more than the other. I wont tell you which I liked the most. Try them though...

You should also try Rive Gauche and M7. Those are two you'll like, I think. Just test what you can. Find out what you like more and dislike more. You'll figure out your "class" of fragrance favorites. Smell when you can.

Haha, thanks!

Does Burberry Brit belong in that line-up? I like that one and it might just be the next thing I buy. The Gaultier is also a fragrance of a friend, but I'll try the Boss & Lacoste.

M7 did appear on my research-list, but I couldn't find it. I don't think I've seen Rive Gauhce either. I'll check the shops in the Amsterdam-list of the shopping-forum, but "my" place carries a lot of fragrances (about 60 male, 60 female) and you can try them without the help of the staff (which I like).
    Last edited by basbreurken; 12th September 2006 at 11:54 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by basbreurken
    Does Burberry Brit belong in that line-up? I like that one and it might just be the next thing I buy.
    I LOVE Brit!!! It's actually what I'm wearing right now. Other great vanillic frags include Lolita Lempicka au masculine (lots of anise/licorice in this one, too!) and Bvlgari Black (smokey, rubbery, vanilla).
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Thanks, I've added them to the "to test"-list of my wardrobe!