Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 31 to 43 of 43
  1. #31

    Default Re: How to get an Axe addict into the real stuff..

    Quote Originally Posted by Robbo1979 View Post
    It's nothing to do with saving money... if someone LIKES a scent, they like it. If it was about saving money, then they would go with Old Spice or Brut which are cheaper.
    Hey Robbo. So you clearly, you're a fan of both Axe/Lynx frags along with edts? Question for you...if you had to choose, which one would you hold onto? Your colognes, or the body sprays? And if you're really trying to impress an object of affection, would the scent be a cologne or body spray, and which particular scent? Thanx...

    Btw-the same friend that I put onto GPH2...I asked him yesterday if he's gotten any more compliments, and he says that he hasn't really worn it that much. He went out of town last weekend, and he mentioned that because he couldn't take his cologne with him on the planet, he bought a Tag body spray when he touched down. He said that surprisingly, it seems to last longer on him than the cologne. I was like no way! By definition, a body spray should not last longer than an edt, due to the concentration and all. But he insists that it does, and says that to him, it smells pretty good.
    Interesting...

  2. #32

    Default Re: How to get an Axe addict into the real stuff..

    Double post!!!
    Last edited by ortho123; 14th December 2009 at 09:19 PM.

  3. #33

    Default Re: How to get an Axe addict into the real stuff..

    There's nothing quite like having someone compliment you on how great you smell...and it's not necessarily the most expensive thing on the market.

    Sometimes the "finer thing" is just who we are and who we are with...

    Check out Axe Fever...this stuff lasts and lasts...

    Joke from The Office: "That's what she said..."

  4. #34

    Default Re: How to get an Axe addict into the real stuff..

    Quote Originally Posted by Robbo1979 View Post
    It's nothing to do with saving money... if someone LIKES a scent, they like it. If it was about saving money, then they would go with Old Spice or Brut which are cheaper.
    I respectfully disagree. In the states adolescent men love axe because it is cheap, smells halfway decent and has "hip" packaging/advertising. They would not go with Old Spice or Brut because of the stigma of the "old man" smell. Its a shame since I love Brut it is one of my all time favorite classics. They don't know what they are missing.

    Old Spice is trying to break into the body spray market, like the new Swagger scent and advertising it to young men. It is an impressive effort by P&G to update a classic to a new generation.

  5. #35

    Default Re: How to get an Axe addict into the real stuff..

    Quote Originally Posted by ortho123 View Post
    There's nothing quite like having someone compliment you on how great you smell...and it's not necessarily the most expensive thing on the market.
    I couldn't agree more.

    Irish Spring Moisture Blast soap $8 for 16 bars on sale at K-Mart.

    Mennen Speed Stick Irish Spring Original scented deodorant $5 for 2 sticks on sale at K-Mart.

    C.O. Bigelow Barber Elixir Green cologne $19 for 2 bottles on a B.O.G.O. sale

    Daily compliments from co-workers of the opposite sex on how I smell...priceless.

  6. #36
    Robbo1979's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Thetford, Norfolk
    Posts
    208

    Default Re: How to get an Axe addict into the real stuff..

    Quote Originally Posted by Larwiz View Post
    Hey Robbo. So you clearly, you're a fan of both Axe/Lynx frags along with edts? Question for you...if you had to choose, which one would you hold onto? Your colognes, or the body sprays? And if you're really trying to impress an object of affection, would the scent be a cologne or body spray, and which particular scent? Thanx...
    Do you refer to purely Lynx scents or all? If Lynx, then I'd hold on to the aftershave since I collect the old ones purely for sentimental reasons and you can sniff those without wasting them, unlike a can of deo. I also like a few of the new Lynx scents, especially FEVER, but that's currently only available as a deo. So I guess I'd keep my Lynx Oriental aftershave in answer to your question...

    Also, I read on this thread someone was shocked to hear a body spray outlasted a cologne. Well I can confirm it IS possible. I have Brut edt and the Brut APS far outlasts it! In fact the Lynx body sprays, especially Fever, seem to far outlast the Lynx aftershaves and edts.


    Quote Originally Posted by Kilo Joe View Post
    I respectfully disagree. In the states adolescent men love axe because it is cheap, smells halfway decent and has "hip" packaging/advertising. They would not go with Old Spice or Brut because of the stigma of the "old man" smell.
    Two points I'd like to make. One being I was simply stating if these people were trying to do things on the cheap, there ARE cheaper scents than Lynx out there that DO smell pretty damn good.

    The other point is you said it yourself, Lynx smells "halfway decent" so I see no problem with people wearing them. How can Lynx be victimised because of it's popularity?? If Creed GIT became as popular, would that therefore become a bad scent and treated like Lynx is now?
    My Current 5 stars..... Brut, Lynx Java, Lynx Oriental, Lynx Musk, Lynx Inca, Lynx Fever, Addiction Spice Fire, Hugo Energise, Sean Jean Unforgivable, Burberry Touch, Jean Paul Gaultier Le Mâle, cKBe & cK1

    I like what I like, so sue me!

  7. #37

    Default Re: How to get an Axe addict into the real stuff..

    Quote Originally Posted by Robbo1979 View Post
    Two points I'd like to make. One being I was simply stating if these people were trying to do things on the cheap, there ARE cheaper scents than Lynx out there that DO smell pretty damn good.

    The other point is you said it yourself, Lynx smells "halfway decent" so I see no problem with people wearing them. How can Lynx be victimised because of it's popularity?? If Creed GIT became as popular, would that therefore become a bad scent and treated like Lynx is now?
    Your first point was quite clear in you first response to my post. I was trying to explain why young men bypass the cheaper Old Spice and Brut for the Axe Sprays. Old Spice, Brut and the Axe Sprays are cheap ($4 - $6 in the states) but the Axe is more appealing to the younger crowd then the old man drugstore cheapies.

    I agree with your other point. If you like how it smells, wear it. I am an admitted Axe wearer, hence my Basenotes name "Kilo" (as in Axe Kilo) Joe. I love that Axe/Lynx is popular. It has been the reason many young men are getting into fragrances. That can't be a bad thing.

    My closing point is I am the king of smelling good without spending a lot. I found that it was more economical to buy a bottle of Cool Water at $25 than a can of Axe Kilo spray for $6 I love the smell of both but the bottle of CW will last me a year while the Axe will last a month. Lately I don't think the price of Axe is relative to what you are getting in return. You are paying for the pretty packaging and the advertising.

    CVS drugstore has the no frills version of Axe bodyspays for $2 less a can. One of them, "Kodiak" is a dead ringer for Dark Temptation.

  8. #38
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,306
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: How to get an Axe addict into the real stuff..

    My younger brother is into Axe and American Crew - with AC it's their line of wash and "cologne", although he isn't a total convert to their fragrance because he only has the AC cologne as a freebie that came with the shampoo (but note that he does wear it). He's 23. Last year for Christmas I bought him a CK gift set, I think it has small bottles of Obsession Night, Eternity, etc. He seems to dislike all of those and never wears them.

    So my quandary with him is this: if Axe and AC are the low rung of the fragrance ladder, and he's at the age where those mediocre CK frags are an age-appropriate step up away from body sprays YET HE REFUSES to take that next step, how can one expect him to get into the stuff that I, 5 years his senior, wear? - Allure Homme, Cool Water, etc

    It seems like he's stuck forever wearing Axe, which I guess is fine if he likes it, but I just can't buy him cologne for xmas anymore.

  9. #39

    Default Re: How to get an Axe addict into the real stuff..

    karlovonamesti buy your brother a bottle of Ed Hardy or Ed Hardy Luck and Love colognes. They are packaged a lot like Axe with a modern look. They might be just the thing to help him take that next step.

  10. #40

    Default Re: How to get an Axe addict into the real stuff..

    One of the early phrases in this discussion is "drench themselves." Drench yourself in almost anything and then check on the results. Hey, I get it that the spray lends itself to drenching (as in promos) but there's a good way to wear Axe and bad way to wear anything else as well from Aramis, to Chrome, to TdH....

    BTW, Brut APS is almost identical to the Brut talc available long ago...

    And yes the Irish Spring Deo by Mennen is a suprising babe magnet...not joking here. Nearly every month someone is looking for a soapy scent...how about soap?
    Last edited by ortho123; 15th December 2009 at 08:16 PM.

  11. #41
    Robbo1979's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Thetford, Norfolk
    Posts
    208

    Default Re: How to get an Axe addict into the real stuff..

    Quote Originally Posted by Kilo Joe View Post
    My closing point is I am the king of smelling good without spending a lot. I found that it was more economical to buy a bottle of Cool Water at $25 than a can of Axe Kilo spray for $6 I love the smell of both but the bottle of CW will last me a year while the Axe will last a month. Lately I don't think the price of Axe is relative to what you are getting in return. You are paying for the pretty packaging and the advertising.

    I completely understand your point here, BUT to put a slight spin on things, the good thing with Lynx sprays is they are still pretty cheap and you can therefore own more than one so you don't end up smelling the same every day. I understand that a bottle of Cool Water would last far longer, but there's a lot to say about variety IMHO.

    Ortho123 made a good point earlier... give Lynx Fever a try... it's actually very good!
    My Current 5 stars..... Brut, Lynx Java, Lynx Oriental, Lynx Musk, Lynx Inca, Lynx Fever, Addiction Spice Fire, Hugo Energise, Sean Jean Unforgivable, Burberry Touch, Jean Paul Gaultier Le Mâle, cKBe & cK1

    I like what I like, so sue me!

  12. #42
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,306
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: How to get an Axe addict into the real stuff..

    Quote Originally Posted by Kilo Joe View Post
    karlovonamesti buy your brother a bottle of Ed Hardy or Ed Hardy Luck and Love colognes. They are packaged a lot like Axe with a modern look. They might be just the thing to help him take that next step.
    thanks, that's a nice suggestion, but I think at $60 for a 3.4 oz bottle it's the kind of thing I could buy him and he could use, but never buy for himself. absurd metaphor alert: price-wise it's like going from kite flying to being a four-stripe jet captain with no in-between training. Needless to say, I think in the long run the experience would flame out.

    No, I think he needs that moderately-mature 23 yr-old's scent that he can re-purchase after the initial gift is used up - maybe Eternity for men - out of all the CK scents that's the only one he occasionally uses and I wonder if he's extra frugal with it because it's only a .5 oz bottle - I see there's 3.4 oz bottles of it out there for under $30 and he could certainly afford that . . .

  13. #43

    Default Re: How to get an Axe addict into the real stuff..

    You can't judge Axe by that initial blast with the lingering aerosol fumes. I actually prefer the nicer Axe scents like Touch to most colognes as they're much less harsh and synthetic smelling on the drydown.

    As far as women, I'm fairly certain they just want us to not smell bad and otherwise could care less. Using soap when you shower should cover it.

Similar Threads

  1. real or fake??
    By FrosteeFerret in forum Just Starting Out
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 7th June 2007, 12:02 AM
  2. Dior Addict Question
    By jingles in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 17th February 2007, 03:38 PM
  3. Creed Quality: Real vs Fakes?
    By jow24 in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 16th February 2005, 05:43 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000