Code of Conduct

Default How to get an Axe addict into the real stuff..

A couple of my friends drench themselves in Axe body spray. I hate it. I can't imagine everyone else doesn't either. What should I show them to get them into the EDT world? They have poor, immature taste as it is now.

Thrax

Default Re: How to get an Axe addict into the real stuff..

Thrax's surefire "get your friend to not like axe anymore" plan.
    Step 1: Get your friend to show you his axe collection.
    Step 2: Wait til he turns his back and grab one of the cans.
    Step 3: Beat the everlovin' shit out of him with it.
    Step 4: While he is passed out run to the frag store and pick up Acqua Di Gio. Run back to the house and dispose of any Axe related products.
    Step 5: When he wakes up tell him he slipped and hit his head when he was showing you his new Aramani scent. There may be a bit of confusion but after a bit of persuasion he will see that you were right and he really likes the Armani Problem solved.

I would say start with the houses of YSL and Guerlain.
    « L'odeur de rose, faible, grâce au vent léger d'été qui passe, se mêle aux parfums qu'elle a mis.»
    [ Paul Verlaine ]
    Wardrobe

What about Step 6 - 10 to introduce him to other scents besides AdG?

Thrax

I only show how to get him off the Axe kick. Anything after that is entirely up to him...

I've done this a few times, primarily to show my old undergrad roommates the point you are trying to make:

1. Gather a few girls that you all are close with, preferably someone he is interested in, and tell them you'd like their help with something.

2. Ask the girls to close their eyes before you spray yourselves, and then both of you leave and have him spray himself with Axe , and you spray yourself with whatever the cologne you think would get them going and flustered (if they're young, I'd say AdG, possibly Polo Black, Amen, or whatever seems to be popular for that age group).

3. Ask them, with their eyes still closed, which scent they would rather smell if you went out on a date (or substitute event).

4. They'll 95% likely say the cologne, or atleast every time I've done this experiment, they do so.

It always helps if you can get someone he has a crush on, or is interested in, b/c I'd say 99% of the time, he'll go with her advice, b/c subconsciously he wants to impress her, and if she likes that scent better, he has a better chance to date her, etc (you get the picture)

Another OPtion
    Or you could get him to wear the cologne, and let you apply it on him, and then you could use the Axe on yourself. This would also prove the point, though you'd have to gauge his personality type to see which option is best.

Good Luck
    -I'd think the scents I might consider for use would be Aqua Di Gio, maybe Polo Black, L'eau D'Issey (original), Soprani Uomo, Amen, eh.. about all I can think of at the moment for the younger ones.

The average person just wants to impress girls. Thus you have to show them (like people before have mentioned) that girls much prefer a real cologne to some axe bullshit. You either have to impress girls with your cologne while the guy is in your presence, or let him borrow some cologne that you know will impress the ladies. I let my friend borrow Varvatos and he got pounced on and now he LOVES the stuff! He didn't wear Axe before, but I imagine that if he had he would be converted. Every night before we go out he makes sure to spray on some Varv. Sometimes I'm way too nice...

Yeah, I like rvbert's plan and since he's engaged it should work well, except I don't have AdG, and I don't plan on buying it due to poor longevity/huge popularity. Very Sexy or Allure Sport would probably substitute very well. I can't start him off on YSL or Guerlain, that's not immature taste at all

genvy5,

I used Aqua Di Gio as just a base scent that tends to be very popular with the guys under 25, and most of the girls seem to like it.

Since you said he's engaged, I think this revised plan would be perfect:
    (1)ask his Fiance what scent drives her mad, and coincidentally have that one on hand.
    (2) apply that scent to him,
    (3) have Fiance practically pounce on him, but make sure that she smells you first and says you small like crap, or that it smells like a "___"

(4) He gets turned on knowing his Fiance was turned on by that scent, and would likely go out and purchase that scent for obvious reasons.

I guess the Girlfriend factor always plays highly into this... I know when I can figure out what scent they like, I'll make sure to have some on hand, even if I'm not as into it. Japur Homme by Boucheron is a good example of a scent that she really really really liked, that I bought because she did, and subsequently purchased a new bottle when it ran out.
    Last edited by rvbert0; 4th September 2006 at 11:08 PM.

Exactly a year ago my brother met a new girlfriend. I always had told him that most women appreciate men who smell good the whole day, but he used to dismiss the advice. Well, his current girlfriend is ten years younger than he, so I said that younger women appreciate a guy using cologne even more. Reluctantly he tried Herrera's 212 (original). She loved it, and he uses it regularly now. BUT, should the affair not work out, he'd go back to using Axe and the like. That's for sure.

There sure are a lot of snobs around this place. Sad. If these people/person likes the smells of Lynx/Axe, then who are you to stick your nose in?? (if you excuse the pun!) They wear what they wear for their own benefit, not for the benefit of some snob who thinks they are the law when it comes to what people "should be wearing". Get over it.
    My Current 5 stars..... Brut, Lynx Java, Lynx Oriental, Lynx Musk, Lynx Inca, Lynx Fever, Addiction Spice Fire, Hugo Energise, Sean Jean Unforgivable, Burberry Touch, Jean Paul Gaultier Le Mâle, cKBe & cK1

I like what I like, so sue me!

99% of people wear Axe/Lynx because they are lazy and do not care past spraying SOMETHING on.

Best bet though is to give up trying to convert them, and just kill them. That way when you sell their organs you'll have a ton of cash to sample everything you want!

Yeah this thread is three (3!) years old.

A fine vintage.

But on the bright side, three years ago, the famous story of a guy who sued Axe for not "getting him the babes" did most likely not happen yet, so, thanks to the current knowledge about this fact, maybe even this argument can be used upon the Axe addict, namely that Axe, in spite of so many commercials, is "ineffectual in terms of dating and private/intimate companionship".
    Otherwise, just get him to know and eventually like an online discounter of frags, who sells any brand name (mainly designer frags), yet the particular online discounters with no brand name originality, customer service, payment or delivery-related issues, and try to persuade him to "throw in a couple more cents of bucks and buy, for only a fraction more than what Axe costs, a true frag". I honestly think that the "wise investment" or "value for money"-aspect might turn the balance less in favor of Axe and more in favor of the EDT world.
    Last edited by Ken_Russell; 13th December 2009 at 07:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by genvy5 View Post
    Good point!! In that case... this place USED to be full of snobs!

Although I hazard a guess there are still quite a few about!
    My Current 5 stars..... Brut, Lynx Java, Lynx Oriental, Lynx Musk, Lynx Inca, Lynx Fever, Addiction Spice Fire, Hugo Energise, Sean Jean Unforgivable, Burberry Touch, Jean Paul Gaultier Le Mâle, cKBe & cK1

Quote Originally Posted by Sokkou View Post
    99% of people wear Axe/Lynx because they are lazy and do not care past spraying SOMETHING on.
    That's all there is to it really. Robbo, you are the EXCEPTION, in that someone who collects and enjoys Axe for the scent. Sokkou has it nailed right on the head, those who wear Axe do so because they could care less.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by Robbo1979 View Post
    There sure are a lot of snobs around this place. Sad. If these people/person likes the smells of Lynx/Axe, then who are you to stick your nose in?? (if you excuse the pun!) They wear what they wear for their own benefit, not for the benefit of some snob who thinks they are the law when it comes to what people "should be wearing". Get over it.
    I was wondering where this comment was coming from. Then I clicked on your wardrobe... You have every Axe in existence!

Agreed, wanna wear Axe? Wear it. Period. I myself didn't know jack about frags, all of a sudden it popped to me when I got a Tuscan Soul as a gift. To ˝convert˝ people to wear colognes? That's having some nerves! If I'm an atheist, there's no way you're gonna sell me Jesus, Muhammed, Buddha or don't know whom.

Quote Originally Posted by Zgb View Post
    Agreed, wanna wear Axe? Wear it. Period. I myself didn't know jack about frags, all of a sudden it popped to me when I got a Tuscan Soul as a gift. To ˝convert˝ people to wear colognes? That's having some nerves! If I'm an atheist, there's no way you're gonna sell me Jesus, Muhammed, Buddha or don't know whom.
    But people who don't believe in Serge Lutens go to hell! We're only looking out for your soul! Repent now, sinner! If you don't accept L'Artisan into your heart, how do you know right from wrong?

I think the train of thought is that in general, the Lynx/Axe users have not had the exposure to better fragrances. I think the general idea is when you know better, you do better. A lot of us started out with the simpler fragrances...old spice, Versace Blue jeans, ck whatever, etc, and thought they were excellent, until we got to know other, better fragrances. Many of us...the people in this thread, for example, have had that exposure, so it's normal that we would want to enlighten the less enlightened to other fragrances.

I'm sure there are some decent Lynx/Axe fragrances, but me personally-I'd rather look at a Gucci or Burberry bottle on my dresser, as opposed to a damn Axe bottle. But that's me.
    Having said that, I know Adidas has several inexpensive fragrances that are quite decent. I came across one of thier latest offerings, Fresh Impact, that I thought was quite solid. I was and still am kinda tempted to buy it.
    But I can't knock someone for trying to broaden one's horizon. My best friend use to only wear CK Truth until that ran out. Once it was done, he wasn't wearing anything at all. He would come over to my house and I'd persuade him to try my frags. He held onto my Pi for a minute, and as of a few weeks ago, he bought my favorite fragrance, Gucci Pour Homme 2. But what if he was never exposed to them?
    Then, interestingly enough-he tells me that the very next day that he wore the Gucci, his supervisor and several others complimented him.
    Nothing wrong with a little exposure...
    Last edited by Larwiz; 13th December 2009 at 08:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PorkFat View Post
    But people who don't believe in Serge Lutens go to hell! We're only looking out for your soul! Repent now, sinner! If you don't accept L'Artisan into your heart, how do you know right from wrong?
    hahahahahahahaha, buuuuurrrrn him at stake...blasphemer!!!

Basenotes Plus

Don't bother - it's probably a lost cause.

Quote Originally Posted by genvy5 View Post

Let them smell the fragrances that most Axe scents are modeled after:
    Kilo is modeled after Minotaure
    Orion smells very much like Fuel for Life's woody drydown
    I smelled an IZOD fragrance that smells very much like Phoenix

I'm sure there are many more!

oh my god

Quote Originally Posted by PorkFat View Post
    I was wondering where this comment was coming from. Then I clicked on your wardrobe... You have every Axe in existence!
    As well as many non-Lynx frags. Think my sig gave it away somewhat too! lol.

Actually, I've probably not even scratched the surface with how many Lynx frags I have compared to how many there have been... But what most of you on here have to realise is that the stuff you get these days IS pretty dire (with the rare exception) and the quality of the older Lynx offerings from the 80s/90s was FAR superior.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack103 View Post
    Let them smell the fragrances that most Axe scents are modeled after:
    Kilo is modeled after Minotaure
    Orion smells very much like Fuel for Life's woody drydown
    I smelled an IZOD fragrance that smells very much like Phoenix

I'm sure there are many more!
    Dark Temptation is like a mix of A*Men and Molton Brown

I would like to mention that if these Axe addicts think they are saving money, they are not. A $6 can of axe spray doesn't go very far compared to a bottle of cologne which can last me a year.

I think Deodorant body sprays have their place. I still have a can of Kilo around my house at all times. I like to use it on the weekends when I am out doing physical stuff. I would not use it for a day to the office though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilo Joe View Post
    I would like to mention that if these Axe addicts think they are saving money, they are not. A $6 can of axe spray doesn't go very far compared to a bottle of cologne which can last me a year.
    It's nothing to do with saving money... if someone LIKES a scent, they like it. If it was about saving money, then they would go with Old Spice or Brut which are cheaper.

It's nothing to do with saving money... if someone LIKES a scent, they like it. If it was about saving money, then they would go with Old Spice or Brut which are cheaper.
    Been away from the forum for awhile (not 3 years)...

Yeah Robbo, the "real stuff" includes a host of overpriced disappointments (mostly new releases) as well as the reformulations of once great classics like Eau Savage and Paco Rabanne. The "real stuff": includes the overrated and hyped scents such TdH, RGPH later to be considered "meh"...or time honored yet infrequently worn by many of its admirers masterpieces such as Grey Flannel.

A previous line in this thread about "I'd rather see on... my dresser..." made me laugh. I'd rather find a beautiful woman in my bed...but that's just me...

The "real stuff" is life and whatever you like...

Hey Robbo. So you clearly, you're a fan of both Axe/Lynx frags along with edts? Question for you...if you had to choose, which one would you hold onto? Your colognes, or the body sprays? And if you're really trying to impress an object of affection, would the scent be a cologne or body spray, and which particular scent? Thanx...

Btw-the same friend that I put onto GPH2...I asked him yesterday if he's gotten any more compliments, and he says that he hasn't really worn it that much. He went out of town last weekend, and he mentioned that because he couldn't take his cologne with him on the planet, he bought a Tag body spray when he touched down. He said that surprisingly, it seems to last longer on him than the cologne. I was like no way! By definition, a body spray should not last longer than an edt, due to the concentration and all. But he insists that it does, and says that to him, it smells pretty good.
    Interesting...

Double post!!!
    Last edited by ortho123; 14th December 2009 at 09:19 PM.

There's nothing quite like having someone compliment you on how great you smell...and it's not necessarily the most expensive thing on the market.

Sometimes the "finer thing" is just who we are and who we are with...

Check out Axe Fever...this stuff lasts and lasts...

Joke from The Office: "That's what she said..."

I respectfully disagree. In the states adolescent men love axe because it is cheap, smells halfway decent and has "hip" packaging/advertising. They would not go with Old Spice or Brut because of the stigma of the "old man" smell. Its a shame since I love Brut it is one of my all time favorite classics. They don't know what they are missing.

Old Spice is trying to break into the body spray market, like the new Swagger scent and advertising it to young men. It is an impressive effort by P&G to update a classic to a new generation.

Quote Originally Posted by ortho123 View Post
    There's nothing quite like having someone compliment you on how great you smell...and it's not necessarily the most expensive thing on the market.
    I couldn't agree more.

Irish Spring Moisture Blast soap $8 for 16 bars on sale at K-Mart.

Mennen Speed Stick Irish Spring Original scented deodorant $5 for 2 sticks on sale at K-Mart.

C.O. Bigelow Barber Elixir Green cologne $19 for 2 bottles on a B.O.G.O. sale

Daily compliments from co-workers of the opposite sex on how I smell...priceless.

Quote Originally Posted by Larwiz View Post
    Hey Robbo. So you clearly, you're a fan of both Axe/Lynx frags along with edts? Question for you...if you had to choose, which one would you hold onto? Your colognes, or the body sprays? And if you're really trying to impress an object of affection, would the scent be a cologne or body spray, and which particular scent? Thanx...
    Do you refer to purely Lynx scents or all? If Lynx, then I'd hold on to the aftershave since I collect the old ones purely for sentimental reasons and you can sniff those without wasting them, unlike a can of deo. I also like a few of the new Lynx scents, especially FEVER, but that's currently only available as a deo. So I guess I'd keep my Lynx Oriental aftershave in answer to your question...

Also, I read on this thread someone was shocked to hear a body spray outlasted a cologne. Well I can confirm it IS possible. I have Brut edt and the Brut APS far outlasts it! In fact the Lynx body sprays, especially Fever, seem to far outlast the Lynx aftershaves and edts.

I respectfully disagree. In the states adolescent men love axe because it is cheap, smells halfway decent and has "hip" packaging/advertising. They would not go with Old Spice or Brut because of the stigma of the "old man" smell.
    Two points I'd like to make. One being I was simply stating if these people were trying to do things on the cheap, there ARE cheaper scents than Lynx out there that DO smell pretty damn good.

The other point is you said it yourself, Lynx smells "halfway decent" so I see no problem with people wearing them. How can Lynx be victimised because of it's popularity?? If Creed GIT became as popular, would that therefore become a bad scent and treated like Lynx is now?

Two points I'd like to make. One being I was simply stating if these people were trying to do things on the cheap, there ARE cheaper scents than Lynx out there that DO smell pretty damn good.

The other point is you said it yourself, Lynx smells "halfway decent" so I see no problem with people wearing them. How can Lynx be victimised because of it's popularity?? If Creed GIT became as popular, would that therefore become a bad scent and treated like Lynx is now?
    Your first point was quite clear in you first response to my post. I was trying to explain why young men bypass the cheaper Old Spice and Brut for the Axe Sprays. Old Spice, Brut and the Axe Sprays are cheap ($4 - $6 in the states) but the Axe is more appealing to the younger crowd then the old man drugstore cheapies.

I agree with your other point. If you like how it smells, wear it. I am an admitted Axe wearer, hence my Basenotes name "Kilo" (as in Axe Kilo) Joe. I love that Axe/Lynx is popular. It has been the reason many young men are getting into fragrances. That can't be a bad thing.

My closing point is I am the king of smelling good without spending a lot. I found that it was more economical to buy a bottle of Cool Water at $25 than a can of Axe Kilo spray for $6 I love the smell of both but the bottle of CW will last me a year while the Axe will last a month. Lately I don't think the price of Axe is relative to what you are getting in return. You are paying for the pretty packaging and the advertising.

CVS drugstore has the no frills version of Axe bodyspays for $2 less a can. One of them, "Kodiak" is a dead ringer for Dark Temptation.

Banned
    Blog Entries

My younger brother is into Axe and American Crew - with AC it's their line of wash and "cologne", although he isn't a total convert to their fragrance because he only has the AC cologne as a freebie that came with the shampoo (but note that he does wear it). He's 23. Last year for Christmas I bought him a CK gift set, I think it has small bottles of Obsession Night, Eternity, etc. He seems to dislike all of those and never wears them.

So my quandary with him is this: if Axe and AC are the low rung of the fragrance ladder, and he's at the age where those mediocre CK frags are an age-appropriate step up away from body sprays YET HE REFUSES to take that next step, how can one expect him to get into the stuff that I, 5 years his senior, wear? - Allure Homme, Cool Water, etc

It seems like he's stuck forever wearing Axe, which I guess is fine if he likes it, but I just can't buy him cologne for xmas anymore.

karlovonamesti buy your brother a bottle of Ed Hardy or Ed Hardy Luck and Love colognes. They are packaged a lot like Axe with a modern look. They might be just the thing to help him take that next step.

One of the early phrases in this discussion is "drench themselves." Drench yourself in almost anything and then check on the results. Hey, I get it that the spray lends itself to drenching (as in promos) but there's a good way to wear Axe and bad way to wear anything else as well from Aramis, to Chrome, to TdH....

BTW, Brut APS is almost identical to the Brut talc available long ago...

And yes the Irish Spring Deo by Mennen is a suprising babe magnet...not joking here. Nearly every month someone is looking for a soapy scent...how about soap?
    Last edited by ortho123; 15th December 2009 at 08:16 PM.

My closing point is I am the king of smelling good without spending a lot. I found that it was more economical to buy a bottle of Cool Water at $25 than a can of Axe Kilo spray for $6 I love the smell of both but the bottle of CW will last me a year while the Axe will last a month. Lately I don't think the price of Axe is relative to what you are getting in return. You are paying for the pretty packaging and the advertising.

I completely understand your point here, BUT to put a slight spin on things, the good thing with Lynx sprays is they are still pretty cheap and you can therefore own more than one so you don't end up smelling the same every day. I understand that a bottle of Cool Water would last far longer, but there's a lot to say about variety IMHO.

Ortho123 made a good point earlier... give Lynx Fever a try... it's actually very good!

Banned
    Blog Entries

karlovonamesti buy your brother a bottle of Ed Hardy or Ed Hardy Luck and Love colognes. They are packaged a lot like Axe with a modern look. They might be just the thing to help him take that next step.
    thanks, that's a nice suggestion, but I think at $60 for a 3.4 oz bottle it's the kind of thing I could buy him and he could use, but never buy for himself. absurd metaphor alert: price-wise it's like going from kite flying to being a four-stripe jet captain with no in-between training. Needless to say, I think in the long run the experience would flame out.

No, I think he needs that moderately-mature 23 yr-old's scent that he can re-purchase after the initial gift is used up - maybe Eternity for men - out of all the CK scents that's the only one he occasionally uses and I wonder if he's extra frugal with it because it's only a .5 oz bottle - I see there's 3.4 oz bottles of it out there for under $30 and he could certainly afford that . . .

You can't judge Axe by that initial blast with the lingering aerosol fumes. I actually prefer the nicer Axe scents like Touch to most colognes as they're much less harsh and synthetic smelling on the drydown.

As far as women, I'm fairly certain they just want us to not smell bad and otherwise could care less. Using soap when you shower should cover it.