Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: WHICH IS MORE MACHO ?

Voters
123. You may not vote on this poll
  • Vintage Tabarome

36 29.27%
  • Quorum

22 17.89%
  • Yatagan

37 30.08%
  • MPG's Route du Vetiver

8 6.50%
  • Bay Rum (any, preferably in large doses)

7 5.69%
  • Tuscany

10 8.13%
  • Salvador Dali Pour Homme

10 8.13%
  • Blenhein Bouquet

5 4.07%
  • SMN's Peau d' Espagne

4 3.25%
  • Jacomo de Jacomo

11 8.94%
  • Francesco Smalto

3 2.44%
  • OTHER

20 16.26%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Cool Who is more macho? The anti-frags

Anti-frags?

By that I mean Men's fragrances that in an attempt, successful or otherwise, to be truly masculine have crossed the border into Powerhouse Stinkerland.

Banzai !!

Some of these, like Vintage Tabarome, are special favorites of mine as they transform and weave their spell. Others like Quorum are--um, not for me.

I have deliberately left out any which, no matter how macho, I thought my present or ex gf's would have liked upon first sniff.

Thus no Antaeus, Roma, Egoiste, or Givenchy Gentleman as they're unlikely likely to elicit a female:

" UGGH! WHAT THE HELL IS THAT? "
    -----------------

Ditto most Orientals.

So, fellow BN's, of the ones listed which are YOUR favorites?
    Last edited by Mario Justiniani; 5th September 2006 at 06:10 AM.
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Default Re: Who is more macho? The anti-frags

Quorom- mucho macho created by a Spaniard named Puig.
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

I might need some help remembering candidates, but Quorum is still something I like, and there's an Oscar de la Renta that is macho-into-powerhose-stinkola for sure, but I can't remember which exactly, and I don't want to count Diptyque's L'Autre because it isn't even trying to be macho (God love it, it's unisex!). Salvador Dali Pour Homme might be one, Creed's Cuir de Russie and Royal English Leather might be two more, and, someone help me out here, there's a big musk bomb out there besides MKK--some 70s musk that gave rise to the hairy chest mockery--that's got to be up here too.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Cool Re: Who is more macho? The anti-frags

DustB: I can't believe I missed Muscs Kublai Khan !

It is sweet but, you're right. It's sweet in an over the top insane hairy chested--well, suffice it to say that I've gotten both the Ugh! AND the great compliments on it. However, the most memorable remark was made by a lesbian film director who observed, unkindly loud: " It smells like a gay man's ass**** "

I'll have to take her word on it, but then again; How would she know?

So glad I put up the " Other " button.

Remember folks we're looking for your favorites. The ones you wear and enjoy!

May The Force, Brut and Drakkar Noir be with you,

Mario.
    Last edited by Mario Justiniani; 5th September 2006 at 03:59 AM.
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

I recently acquired a bottle of Uomo by Fendi (it was on sale for $20CAN) and I love it! It's so uber macho and - I don't know - hairy chested gorilla man RAWR! It's awesome

Explorator Dumpsterorum

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Justiniani
    ...Remember folks we're looking for your favorites. The ones you wear and enjoy!...
    Sorry, I voted for Yatagan -- I believe it to be the mucho macho maestro of the ones listed!

...But for reasons of terribly negative childhood scent-association -- I don't care for it!

Yatagan starts off like celery salt -then- goes straight into the exact aroma of a hideous children's laxative known as Fletcher's Castoria...

...AFAIK this vile concoction has been in continuous production since 1868 -- striking fear into the hearts of children for almost 140 years!! It was huge in the late '40's and early '50's! I still cringe at the thought of my grandmother running after me with a tablespoon in one hand and the Castoria bottle in the other yelling "Was that a sniffle? You need a good physic, sonny!"

(--Never use the words good and physic in the same sentence again!--)

Anyway, Yatagan gets my macho award here -- but Pasa-muh-dena on wearing that stuff!

Serpent

Where are all the big '80s monsters of testosterone? Kouros, Fendi Uomo, Trussardi Uomo, Antaeus, Nobile, Drakkar Noir, and the like? Or those discorrific stinkers like Givenchy Gentleman, Aramis, or YSL pour Homme?

Doesn't Brut pretty much say it all?

baald

Quote Originally Posted by baald
    Doesn't Brut pretty much say it all?

baald
    I find Brut way to powdery to be considered macho.

PUIG'S AGUA BRAVA-CHHHH *choke*

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Quote Originally Posted by Ezhno
    Sorry, I voted for Yatagan -- I believe it to be the mucho macho maestro of the ones listed!

...But for reasons of terribly negative childhood scent-association -- I don't care for it!

Yatagan starts off like celery salt -then- goes straight into the exact aroma of a hideous children's laxative known as Fletcher's Castoria...

Anyway, Yatagan gets my macho award here -- but Pasa-muh-dena on wearing that stuff!
    Couldn't disagree with you more. Yatagan is an amazing fragrance. Sounds as if you did some sniffing but never got beyond that. The celery association only hangs around for the first few times you wear it. Like many, it is one that must be worn over time to understand. It is relatively masculine but there are women who wear it, many in France, even some in the U.S. I've worn it off and on for years. I don't find it anything like the character that is often portrayed on Basenotes. For what it's worth, Luca Turin noted that he thought Yatagan was the best in its class. He included Antaeus, Bel Ami and others in that category. He also wrote that it was a must try for both men and women.

Regarding Vintage Tabarome, I love it but my girlfriend perceives it as "powdery" and not overtly masculine. There are women who wear Vintage Tabarome as well.

I wore Parfum d'Habit by Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier yesterday. I consider it pretty macho.
    Last edited by pluran; 5th September 2006 at 05:46 AM.

I think Pluran is right about vintage Tabarome--not over-the-top enough. Not something anyone will ask "What in the world is that?" after smelling. I clicked a vote for it, but now wish I hadn't. Sorry to be a spoiler.
    --Chris

About the celery or celery salt references to Yatagan, I can't really understand what the objection is. Say it smells like celery--why is that considered an automatic negative? Wearing Yatagan doesn't make me think of celery or celery salt, but if it did, would that mean the fragrance was less macho than if it had a lumberjackesque wood note right in that spot instead? I think cucumber gets the same automatic bad rap--celery and cucumber must be wussy vegetables so they don't properly reflect the cujones or something.
    --Chris

Quote Originally Posted by DustB
    About the celery or celery salt references to Yatagan, I can't really understand what the objection is. Say it smells like celery--why is that considered an automatic negative? Wearing Yatagan doesn't make me think of celery or celery salt, but if it did, would that mean the fragrance was less macho than if it had a lumberjackesque wood note right in that spot instead? I think cucumber gets the same automatic bad rap--celery and cucumber must be wussy vegetables so they don't properly reflect the cujones or something.
    --Chris
    Is the celery note in Yatagan as pronounced as in Grain De Plaisir by MPG? If so, then yikes !
    -

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp
    Is the celery note in Yatagan as pronounced as in Grain De Plaisir by MPG? If so, then yikes !
    Heck, I don't know. Sounds like you'll need to sniff them to find out for sure, Zz, but I know I love Yatagan but find Grain de Plaisir dull beyond belief. For me, it would benefit GdP to have some of the ass kickin' somethin somethin that Yatagan has.

What is it about celery that strikes fear in the hearts of men? Wearing Yatagan hasn't made me into a eunuch yet.
    --Chris

Quote Originally Posted by DustB
    Heck, I don't know. Sounds like you'll need to sniff them to find out for sure, Zz, but I know I love Yatagan but find Grain de Plaisir dull beyond belief. For me, it would benefit GdP to have some of the ass kickin' somethin somethin that Yatagan has.

What is it about celery that strikes fear in the hearts of men? Wearing Yatagan hasn't made me into a eunuch yet.
    --Chris
    I think it has to do with the fact that some smells just dont translate into good "wearable" scents for most of the population. This is the same way that the general population would not want to drink beetroot, spinach or turnip juice because it just doesnt taste "right".
    -

Aramis

When I think of "macho" for a guy, only one thing comes to mind ... leather. So I personally consider Helmut Lang Cuiron and DK Men (Fuel) to be uber-macho. Although ...

I was at the checout line at the local A&P here recently, and the cashier right in back of me (across from the cashier checking me out ) said "Wow, that smells great! That's a MAN'S cologne ... you smell like a MAN!". She must have said "man" about ten times. It was Cartier Santos Eau de Sport. And that was just a dab on the back of my hand I was sampling.

Well said, machos smell like leather. So, Or Black, Knize ten, and so on...

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp
    the so-called celery note isn't celery at all. the combination of pine needles, artemisia, wormwood, etc create the resemblance of such a note, but this is only noticeable for a short time. once i had worn yatagan off and on for a few weeks i suddenly stopped associating this note with celery altogether. i love it, and i definitely don't like the smell of celery in a fragrance. i'm always surprised at the amount of people who sniff the topnotes of a fragrance, wear it two or three times, and declare with certainty that this is the way it is. some fragrances take many months to understand. the olfactory system is highly complex.

yatagan also generates a lot of positive comments from women. it's unquestionably masculine, rugged and quite sophisticated.
    Last edited by pluran; 5th September 2006 at 09:58 AM.

LV Vetiver, which smells like you've rolled yourself up with jungle herbs; and then, of course, Havana. Also, Arden Sandalwood.
    The case of Vintage Tabarome is interesting: I regularly see it cited as babes-repellent, mucho-UGGHH, and I see it's top of the poll so far. And yet, I have a different experience: besides the wonderful burning cigar smoke, I smell precious amber and something fresher/sparkling (reminds me of pomegranade), so I never understood the UUGGHHH comments. To me, it's a fairly refined (although clearly masculine) and formal fragrance and actually a compliment-getter.
    Last edited by marco; 5th September 2006 at 11:37 AM.

Oh, and I was forgetting a very powerful outsider, Bursch by Acqua di Biella, a wonderful powerful earthy concoction that lasts for ages.

Had to go with Creeds Vintage Tabarome...I wouldn't say this is a fragrance in stinkerland, I will say that there is a right time and a not so right time to wear this scent. IMHO of course.
    I wear this when it is cold outside...I mean real cold...this just reminds me of a scent that should be worn in the winter time...That's me...if you can pull this off on the beach when it is 90 in the shade...that's great...I'll save mine for the winter.
    Gary

Here's another vote for Yatagan. And I love it.
    « L'odeur de rose, faible, grâce au vent léger d'été qui passe, se mêle aux parfums qu'elle a mis.»
    [ Paul Verlaine ]
    Wardrobe

Salvador Dali is pure evil in a bottle.

This would be Satan's fragrance.

Surely Azzarro PH deserves a big mention here.

I don't know why so many find in Yatagan a prominent celery note; I don't detect celery at all. Maybe the celery where I live is different from the one in the US.

When, at different times and without one knowing what the other said, I asked my mother and my sister to smell Yatagan both of them told me that it smells like good incense; and they're right, it's very similar to the incense that is used here in the orthodox churches, although not as smoky and dark.
    Last edited by Luca; 2nd October 2006 at 01:35 PM.

As far as macho scents that I actually like, Vintage Tab, Yatagan, RdV, and Tuscany got my vote. I sometimes get a celery-like vibe from Yatagan, other times something like mustard. Like many scents, I have to be in the right mood to fully enjoy it.

Quorum and P'Eau de Espagne would get my vote for stinkers I do not care for. Some seem to say that SMN's PdE has a tabasco sauce accord to it, I think it's actually mace, the same as in their Marescialla (which I cannot see being a women's frag, despite its original intent). It's a horrid note for a frag. Never in its drydown does the bitter, burning sensation seem to disappear. IMO, it amounts to a frag best named "Eau de Unsuccessful Burglar."

Quote Originally Posted by Luca30
    I don't know why so many find in Yatagan a prominent celery note; I don't detect celery at all. Maybe the celery where I live is different from the one in the US.

When, at different times and without one knowing what the other said, I asked my mother and my sister to smell Yatagan both of them told me that it smells like good incense; and they're right, it's very similar to the incense that is used here in the orthodox churches, although not as smoky and dark.
    Some truly independent noses in old-new Europe! I am glad to see my own observations confirmed in every part. I just wish this jewel had more lasting power! My MACHO is another one, though!
    Last edited by narcus; 2nd October 2006 at 07:55 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

CHAZ
    by Revlon

there!
    -i don't care if it won a fifi award!-

Quote Originally Posted by castorpollux View Post
    CHAZ
    by Revlon

there!
    -i don't care if it won a fifi award!-
    I was looking for threads that mentioned Chaz and found this one.

This topic seems more than appropriate - Chaz would feel very comfortable hanging around with the other guys mentioned here.

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

I just read everso's description of CdG Garage... and it sounds like it fits the description of a macho scent that would illict "What the F***s that?" from women.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by surreality View Post
    I just read everso's description of CdG Garage... and it sounds like it fits the description of a macho scent that would illict "What the F***s that?" from women.

I just did the same thing!
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Wink Re: Who is more macho? The anti-frags

Macho beefed up... Polo Green..!!!!!

I can't help but think of Yatagon when I smell the top notes of Giorgio Red..

.................................................. ...................I'm gonna memorize your name.. and then i'm gonna throw my head away!!........:bounce:.............

smeller

Hi everybody.

Here it is:

1) (Vintage) Givenchy Gentleman.

2) Aramis

3) Yatagan

From your list, Mario, I voted for Quorum all the way. Muy macho. I contemplated Salvador Dali for a moment, then decided it's more "romantic, eccentric, brooding artist" ( C'est moi!) than it is macho.

Quorum is a wild choice when the moon is full. Really.

I'm surprised there isn't more votes for Smalto- dark, smoky, but somehow clean yet powerful. Great stuff, but I don't think I'm manly enough to pull it off.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    I was looking for threads that mentioned Chaz and found this one.

This topic seems more than appropriate - Chaz would feel very comfortable hanging around with the other guys mentioned here.

Hi Guys .. I did a search too and came up with nothing so started a Chaz thread .

http://community.basenotes.net/showt...highlight=chaz

No response yet .....
    It must be a stinker ! so my vote goes out blindly to CHAZ .

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

OOOOH, Yatagan has a special place in my heart for this sort of thing. I think I just figured out my SOTD tomorrow! LOL
    ===
    “… [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me naïve, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross.” ~ David Sedaris

Along with Polo, Chaps, and Monogram, I'd vote for Tiffanys for Men.

Blog Entries

Quorum out of the ones I've tried, with a nod to Yatagan and Francesco Smalto. If I was going to a shit-hole bar in a leather jacket, dirty white tee and oil-stained jeans, Quorum would be the go-to scent.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

I voted for Yatagan, but the most macho fragrance I own would have to be...

Comme des Garcons GARAGE.

There is no fragrance that could spell MANLY MAN more than this. Strangely, I find it's cousin TAR to be quite wearable by the right woman (not my wife). And its cleaned up sister, Bulgari Black, is certainly very unisex.

-Slim
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

Another vote for Yatagan. Smells like a sweaty barbarian hiding in a bush.

You guys have driven me to some of my much neglected 'filthy' juices, with Yatagan on my overgrown chest, Quorum on a bushy arm and Smalto on my hirsute back (joke!). I said I've been pining for Polo Green for months now, but haven't given in to the degenerate urge...yet. I used to love its drydown to be honest, but it seems so be such an anachronism these days.

I don' think enough people have smelled Jacomo de Jacomo or it would have had more votes!
    Last edited by Simon Moon; 12th August 2008 at 06:56 PM.

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

I copped a bottle of Leonard pour homme a while back and after spraying and allowing it to dry I found I smelled something very familiar. It was food. Not just any food I realized after several tests, it was a 12" Blimpie's Best, double meat and cheese, the works, no mayo, hot chili peppers si!

Leonard of course is a fine chypre which is discontinued but I'll bet that the perfumeur visited the states. Or is the a Blimpie base in France.

Quote Originally Posted by sloan_8013 View Post
    Vintage Yatagan - I got a chill just looking at them!

Thanks!

Vintage Tabarome and Salvador Dali PH are the most macho scents that I've ever encountered in my life. Aramis is macho too but in a bad way IMO.

Sloan, those are very nice Yatagans! I haven't seen the black plastic dome-topped one, but I've got PuH in that style of bottle.

I think Givenchy Gentleman is as Macho as a perfume can be.

Quote Originally Posted by myaccolades View Post
    I find Brut way to powdery to be considered macho.
    x2
    As much as I like Vintage Tabarome, Hermes Bel Ami, Bois Du Portugal...
    ...they're not subtle/quiet enough to qualify anti-frag
    I'll pick Tuscany's drydown if I had to wear a macho ANTI-FRAG.
    All the rest have too much fragrance to be anti-frag.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    Sloan, those are very nice Yatagans! I haven't seen the black plastic dome-topped one, but I've got PuH in that style of bottle.
    Thanks, I am told that the one in the dome cap contains the original formulation as Caron released in 1976. Unsure about the year of the second bottle but both smell and wear quite different from the recent formulation. Rich, complex and blended to perfection.

Not sure macho is what these are as I love three on the list and am about as macho as Mr. Rogers. Sub in Pee Wee Herman if Mr. Rogers is an unknown quantity.

The Quorum of ten years ago elicited lots of "Ugggh"s when women smelled it on my hand - I would never have worn it in the privacy of my own home, much less around poor females.

But when sprayed from the fresh new bottles being sold now, it elicits a "that's interesting" when women smell it on my hand.

Quorum has been neutered - for the better I think.

The mantle which it previously occupied now passes to Grey Flannel, as far as I'm concerned.

I've seen too many women buy Aramis for their man, for it to be an Uggh scent.
    Renato

Smile Re: Who is more macho? The anti-frags

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Moon View Post
    I don' think enough people have smelled Jacomo de Jacomo or it would have had more votes!
    I have.. Its definitely up there with the best...

.................................................. ...................I'm gonna memorize your name.. and then i'm gonna throw my head away!!........:bounce:.............