Code of Conduct

Default An evening sampling Chanel.

Chanel No. 5

I didn’t feel like playing the blind frag game with the Chanels. No 5? How is this “feminine” really? It is as masculine as most current men’s fragrances given the increased use of florals, and more masculine than Prada Man for sure. Indeed, I would say skip the Prada Man and go straight to this. It is better composed and less sweet, and livelier. Smelling it, it wouldn’t occur to me to give this to a girl.

Chanel No. 22.

Do all the classic Chanels begin with this sharp burst and clarity? With its darker, sweeter floral notes, bound a single sharp powedered accord: This one is familiar. It, or something like was worn by my mother and some of the other women of my family. I am as surprised to recognize this as I was surprised not to recognize No. 5. The Chanels seem to have a unique powderiness, very sharp and bright. Is this from the famous aldehydes?

Chanel No. 19.

Bright, clean, with a touch of green, perhaps vetiver. Some sweetness emerges, like a sweeter, greener No 5. This smells like a classic “ladies perfume” the same way that Habit Rouge evokes “cologne” for me. It must have been cloned a thousand times – that or most attempts to clone No. 5 ended up nearer to here. It does not evoke feminity through its notes, but by association. Again, I think I might’ve known someone who wore this. I can pick out the vetiver, but it isn’t present enough to be a bother. Does this have leather in the basenotes? Like No. 5 the more it dries down the more I like it.

Chanel PM Concent.

Brisk, herbal fresh. Leather? Lemon emerges, though a sour fresh unsweetened lemon. Habit Rouge Legere resembles this, though sweeter and softer. This without the lemon would likely be the fragrance that I am imagining. Suggestions? It matures nicey, with the lemon receding into an emerging oriental base, with a touch of vanilla. It has a dryness which I like.

Chanel Antaeus

This is greener than PMC. Do I detect the dread note of vetiver? This one has a sharp herbal and rooty pungency that is too much for me. I recall Luca Turin dividing fragrances into those that “just smell good,” and those that “strain” the beauty of the wearer. This is the latter.

Tiffany for Men.

This opens with lemon, one slightly powedered and a touch artificial. It stays soft, dominated by the lemon until is become an indistinct powder. A very pale shadow of PMC at best.

Default Re: An evening sampling Chanel.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos
    Chanel No. 5

I didn’t feel like playing the blind frag game with the Chanels. No 5? How is this “feminine” really? It is as masculine as most current men’s fragrances given the increased use of florals, and more masculine than Prada Man for sure. Indeed, I would say skip the Prada Man and go straight to this. It is better composed and less sweet, and livelier. Smelling it, it wouldn’t occur to me to give this to a girl.

I agree with you totally. Though, i cant bring myself to wear it. I dont know why, but i guess because it is such a highly regarded classic amongst women. No. 5 smells EXTREMELY masculine to me.
    Awesomeguy

I know all of those women's scents you smelled are classics, but you should try the newer stuff too. A lot of it is pretty damn good. I love Chance and Coco Mlle on a cute girl.
    As for men, to me Antaeus and Egoiste are the only good scents in the line and even those can be beat by offerings from other houses.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Giraffe
    I know all of those women's scents you smelled are classics, but you should try the newer stuff too. A lot of it is pretty damn good. I love Chance and Coco Mlle on a cute girl.
    As for men, to me Antaeus and Egoiste are the only good scents in the line and even those can be beat by offerings from other houses.
    I agree - Chanels mens fragrances pale in comparison to the offerings from YSL, Caron, and Hermes.
    -

I love all of the ones you mentioned including Tiffany for Men (created by Jacques Polge). One of the better fragrances I own. Your perceptions on that one are highly inaccurate. The perceptions of Antaeus are way off as well. I can't relate with most of what you wrote regarding most of the fragrances. One thing is for sure, they are all superior. No.5 and No.19 being the two best of that bunch, two of the best ever created for that matter.