Code of Conduct

Default Gaultier2 - Of bubblegum and candles

First of all, I should probably post this review in the women's discussion board. As a spokesman for all Metrosexual males everywhere, this juice isn't for us. Not even close. It's a ladies perfume at best and ice cream topping at worst. As a fan of really sweet concoctions such as Joop! Homme, Opium and even JPG #1; JPG #2 raises the "candy bar" even higher. This stuff will actually put pounds on you.

The drama starts off with a rather annoying & cloying bubblegum vapor. And when I say bubblegum, I'm talking Bubblicious. Grape to be exact. I haven't smelled this stuff since middle school. I believe that's the Amber talking. This bubblegum note lasts a rather long time as it's a EdP. And it's very feminine. I had to look under my shirt to make sure I didn't have breasts!

Once the bubblegum gets swallowed up by your skin, the vanilla takes over. Now I love the vanilla in JPG #1, but here is rather boring and staid. Smells exactly like the vanilla candles I picked up at Target for $5. I detect Tonka here too, but again it doesn't do much for me. I read there's some Musk in here, but I can't detect any. Musk would've added some dimension and depth to this juice, but it's pretty much two "annoying & cloying" notes: bubblegum and candles. I don't chew bubblegum anymore and I've got plenty of candles. Next!

Default Re: Gaultier2 - Of bubblegum and candles

Quote Originally Posted by manicboy

The drama starts off with a rather annoying & cloying bubblegum vapor. And when I say bubblegum, I'm talking Bubblicious. Grape to be exact. I haven't smelled this stuff since middle school. I believe that's the Amber talking. This bubblegum note lasts a rather long time as it's a EdP. And it's very feminine. I had to look under my shirt to make sure I didn't have breasts!

Once the bubblegum gets swallowed up by your skin, the vanilla takes over. Now I love the vanilla in JPG #1, but here is rather boring and staid. Smells exactly like the vanilla candles I picked up at Target for $5. I detect Tonka here too, but again it doesn't do much for me. I read there's some Musk in here, but I can't detect any. Musk would've added some dimension and depth to this juice, but it's pretty much two "annoying & cloying" notes: bubblegum and candles. I don't chew bubblegum anymore and I've got plenty of candles. Next!
    I couldn't have put it better. G2 is absolutely VILE. But I will add this: It's like bubble gum with lots and lots of bitter chemicals dressed up with artificial sweeteners and cake icing vanilla essence; while in the background, toxic fumes and dirty paraffin lurk and linger. Industrial. Grim.
    My Current Top 5: Terre d'Hermès | Terre de Bois by Miller Harris | Isfarkand by Ormonde Jayne | Brit for Men by Burberry | Grapefruit by Jo Malone

Wardrobe / Reviews

Hey... I love chewing bubble gum!

But, yeah, I noticed a grape-flavored Bubblicious bubble gum note in Gaultier², too. To me, it makes the scent sorta unique. My nose can pick up the musk note... it's a rather subtle, dirty, senusal one. I've also read in several places that Gaultier² has a myrrh note... maybe that's what makes it smell sorta spicy to my nose?

Anyhoo, one can only wonder if Jean Paul Gaultier himself loves chewing bubblegum...
    Top 5 for Fall:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) New York - Nicolai
    3) Terre d'Hermes
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5)
    Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Quote Originally Posted by MFfan310
    Hey... I love chewing bubble gum!

But, yeah, I noticed a grape-flavored Bubblicious bubble gum note in Gaultier², too. To me, it makes the scent sorta unique. My nose can pick up the musk note... it's a rather subtle, dirty, senusal one. I've also read in several places that Gaultier² has a myrrh note... maybe that's what makes it smell sorta spicy to my nose?

Anyhoo, one can only wonder if Jean Paul Gaultier himself loves chewing bubblegum...
    Myrrh? Spice? in Gaultier2??? <mystified>. I guess everyone's nose is totally different. What about the dirty paraffin? Am I the only one that gets that from G2?
    My Current Top 5: Terre d'Hermès | Terre de Bois by Miller Harris | Isfarkand by Ormonde Jayne | Brit for Men by Burberry | Grapefruit by Jo Malone

Wardrobe / Reviews

Now manicboy....you know you are not a spokesperson for all metrosexuals everywhere...and yes I'm having fun with this. Now about the fragrance....I don"t get the grape or bubblegum from this at all. Sweet? Now we are talking...put on pounds? I don't think so...I have this and like this alot. Yes this is on the feminine side....but in a strange way it's very hard for me to imagine this on my wife....or another lady for that matter....I'm not sure why....I just see this more for a man than for a women.
    At least this is a departure from the boring normal scents that are released by the 100's every year.
    Gary

It reminds me the smell of plasticine...
    « L'odeur de rose, faible, grâce au vent léger d'été qui passe, se mêle aux parfums qu'elle a mis.»
    [ Paul Verlaine ]
    Wardrobe

I just had an anoying SA at the Bloomingdales at The Beverly Center spray some of this on the back of my hand (while I was looking for a frag for my girlfriend). I couldn't wash it off soon enough! I actually walked around for about 20 minutes just to see if it would develop into something good, but to no avail.

Can I say headache!?

Oh... I forgot to add this. On Page 37 of the new Macy's "magalog" that probably came in your mailbox, there's a bottle of Gaultier² sitting next to bottles of Boss Selection and Prada Man, with an availability date of September 15th (at most Macy's stores and macys.com).

I also found out the real reason behind the (thankfully over) US launch delays for Gaultier². Turns out that Federated Dept. Stores (Macy's parent company) wanted BPI to delay the launch to coincide with the national Macy's relaunch so both sides could stretch their ad dollars further.
    Top 5 for Fall:
    2) New York - Nicolai
    3) Terre d'Hermes
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5)
    My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Serpent

Quote Originally Posted by GenuineImitationLife
    Myrrh? Spice? in Gaultier2??? <mystified>. I guess everyone's nose is totally different. What about the dirty paraffin? Am I the only one that gets that from G2?
    I don't know about myrrh. It could be there or not, but it isn't prominent as the scent is blended to an almost indivisible unit, very smooth and solid, as if all the notes were melted together to make a seamless olfactory alloy. As for spice, I get a hint of cinnamon in it. It's very light, but it's there. And I also get the dirty aspect. I would call it "dusty," though. It's like a scent covered in dust. It's faintly smoky to me, too. I don't think it's awful, but I don't think it's great, either. This is a rare scent about which I'm pretty much ambivalent.

Last night I was thinking that I have something in a mini that smells a lot like Gaultier 2.

So I started searching my minis and came across Animale (not sure which one, the writing is smeared). So I applied a little. And there it was! Same grape bubble gum!

Anyone that is thinking of buying Gaultier 2 should first check out Animale, you might save yourself some $$.

While we're at it, Sephora's newly-redesigned website has a little article on Gaultier² and other unisex fragrances. On the Sephora.com homepage, click on "Beauty Central", then click "Gender Blenders".

Interestingly enough, they list Fresh's Cannabis Santal as unisex... I thought that this was purely a men's scent?
    Top 5 for Fall:
    2) New York - Nicolai
    3) Terre d'Hermes
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5)