Code of Conduct

Default Vetiver or 'Original' Vetiver?

Tried a sample of Creeds 'Original' Vetiver earlier today. Really like it and agree with the comparisons to Mugler Cologne. At least initially. I do love (and prefer) the way the vetiver gently creeps out of this one.

I've been eyeing the older Vetiver by Creed. I'm curious to know how akin to one another these two actually are. I saw comparisons to Guerlain's Vetiver in reviews. I actually never was a big fan of Guerlain's. Just didn't work for me. But this Original Vetiver smells silky smooth and I wouldn't mind having the vetiver a little more prominent. What and how great are the differences between the two?

Default Re: Vetiver or 'Original' Vetiver?

I'm a partisan of the old one, Vetiver, released in 1948. Nothing like the new "Original Vetiver." It's a mineral-y vetiver, smooth and calm without citrus like Guerlain's, and if it has a fault it is subtlty.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Thrax

I am definatley a fan of Original Vetiver. It DOES have some longevity issues. But is an extremely pleasant scent.

OV is my SOD. I put it on around 9am and I can still smell it now at 5pm.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    WANTED buy/swap: Creed "Acier Aluminum" , L'Occitane "Eav des Bavx", Comme Des Garcons stuff especially "Dry Clean"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Current Top 10: TM Cologne, Mark Birley, Dzing, Vetiver Extraordinaire, Geir, Divine's "L'Homme de Coeur", Penhaligons 'Endymion",
    Creed Original Vetiver, Diptique Tam Dao, Hugo Boss "Spirit"

I think they're both good in their own way. OV is being the more "today" kind of scent. The 1948 Vetiver smells very "classic" to me. Very "yesteryear".

With OV and Vetiver('48), Creed covered all the bases by catering to people who dont like earthy vetiver, and people who do.

Some may like Racine (MPG) or Vetiver Extraoirdinaire (Malle) more, but with this Creed combo in my collection, I would not need any more vetivers.
    -

I tested both a few times and did a "one on each wrist" twice. The old vetiver is very subtle, "mineral-y" is a good description, It smells like nothing when it first goes on, then a very good but subtle vetiver creeps out. O.V. is just a stunning composition and wins hands down for me. It is also one of the few creeds which I do not have longevity issues with, in fact I can't get rid of it. If I put it on my chest, it gets on my t-shirt and stays there through several washes. I now have a vetiver t-shirt which I only wear when wearing o.v.!!

I would go for o.v. and maybe buy a decant of the old one. Neither smells alike or anything like guerlain vetiver. If you really want a strong one Vetiver extraordinaire may be your beast. For me it is seriously heavy duty, and less usuable in lots of situations
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

If you get a chance to sample it before you settle on one, try The Different Company's Sel de Vetiver. It's creamy, grassy, earthy, salty and really unusual; it's also very beautiful.

Has any one tried Creeds' Bayrhum Vetiver ? Has it been discontinued or is still in production ?
    -

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DustB
    I'm a partisan of the old one, Vetiver, released in 1948. Nothing like the new "Original Vetiver." It's a mineral-y vetiver, smooth and calm without citrus like Guerlain's, and if it has a fault it is subtlty.
    --Chris
    Yes, the real "original" is the 1948, and I much prefer it. It has none of the "soapiness" of the new one. It can be subtle, but if you spray it from fairly close to the skin, the concentration gives it more sillage and more longevity...
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

OV for me. Never smelled the 1948 version though.

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder
    I tested both a few times and did a "one on each wrist" twice. The old vetiver is very subtle, "mineral-y" is a good description, It smells like nothing when it first goes on, then a very good but subtle vetiver creeps out. O.V. is just a stunning composition and wins hands down for me. It is also one of the few creeds which I do not have longevity issues with, in fact I can't get rid of it. If I put it on my chest, it gets on my t-shirt and stays there through several washes. I now have a vetiver t-shirt which I only wear when wearing o.v.!!

I would go for o.v. and maybe buy a decant of the old one. Neither smells alike or anything like guerlain vetiver. If you really want a strong one Vetiver extraordinaire may be your beast. For me it is seriously heavy duty, and less usuable in lots of situations
    So what else is going on within Vetiver '48 other than the obvious? Apparently not the bright citrus of Original. So what's riding along with that vetiver?

Oh, and I'm a little confused about the longevity issue on the OV. I put this stuff on hours ago and I still smell ME. I think it's safe to say anything you can wear for hours and still notice your own sillage is pretty potent. Though I fell victim to the whim of dabbing it everywhere. I do prefer this to Mugler Cologne.

I am a huge fan of both of the Creed Vetiver's mentioned. 1948 has riding on it, a very mineralic, (well, I guess you could say, the smell of rocks after a rain) scent along with the Vetiver grounding. OV is definately very fresh along the likes of Mugler Cologne and I own both...OV is grassier, dare I say fresher, compared with the earthiness of 1948...I recommend both. Both are FANTASTIC Vetiver scents...although my favourite is definately F. Malle's Vetiver Extrordinare.

The two share the word vetiver and not much else at all, and there might be more vetiver in the name of the newer product than there is in the bottle itself. Though OV seems nice, I much prefer the 1948, which has a clear, mineralic and very soothing vetiver note, as Dust B suggests. I'm hard pressed to say what else I smell in there, or whether it all doesn't just come from the vetiver (a note that can vary greatly depending on which variey is used, which parts, where it grew, when it was harvested, etc.). Someone's review in the directory mentions mint, ginger and nutmeg, and those may well be in the mix, but whatever else is there, it is exquisitely blended.

The Creed Vetiver (1948) is one of the last scents I would give up because I find it works beautifully in so many situations: warm or cool weather, formal or informal settings, etc. I look forward to rainy weather because I feel a real affinity between this fragrance and walking around in the rain.

Not as clumsy or random as a blast of some designer scent, 1948 is an elegant fragrance for a more civilized time.

I'm with the 1948 crowd. I was given OV as a birthday present, and enjoy wearing it, but the 1948 concoction is a much smoother and more elegant blend. Very versatile and gentlemanly.

I prefer OV personally; it's far more wearable in my opinion. I actually gave away my almost full bottle of V 1948 because I went off it very quickly. There's something in it I don't like. Too earthy.

Oh -- and neither of them are remotely like Guerlain Vetiver.
    My Current Top 5: Terre d'Hermès | Terre de Bois by Miller Harris | Isfarkand by Ormonde Jayne | Brit for Men by Burberry | Grapefruit by Jo Malone

Wardrobe / Reviews

I was in Nordstrom's the other day and i sampled Gurlains (sp???) Vetiver. I thought it was awesome!!!!! I have smelled it before and was not impressed but this time i was blown away. It was so smooth and nice. Maybe its because i' m becoming more "scent educated" that i like it now because i never liked vetiver before. I always thought it smelled like bitter weeds. I am now, though, considering buying a full bottle of this stuff. Also, i sampled Creeds selection of vetivers and i was equally impressed.
    Awesomeguy