Code of Conduct

Default Correct places to apply cologe and how many sprays?

advice?

Default Re: Correct places to apply cologe and how many sprays?

Most people would recommend applying to the pulse points. IE the neck, wrists, back of knees, etc. Some people apply to clothing. Some even to hair. It just depends on your own personal preference. I personally spray once to the chest and then once to my wrist (which I dab onto my other wrist and the back of my neck).

In terms of amount, some wear very little, some wear a lot (up to 50 sprays.. yeah.. there are a few basenoters who do this). I try to keep it conservative. One or two sprays is usually enough for most fragrances. However, some fragrances are obviously stronger than others and some weaker so you really just have to learn the characteristics of each and guage how much you should apply.

(BTW, no offense but you claimed to be a master of fragrances in another thread yet, to be honest, you do post very typical 'noob'ish topics. I'm not saying you're a noob but you should realize why many basenoters will view you as one, solely based on your initial posts)

The best place for this question to be answered would be in the "Just Starting Out" forums section. If you wanted to save some time though, check the archives for threads about exactly this.

How can anyone put more than a few sprays of pretty much any cologne on them?

I saw a thread before and someone said they average 15 sprays in the morning along with re-applications throughout the day lol. I mean I'm not out to insult anybody but what is the motivation behind this?

Thrax

Quote Originally Posted by acehimself
    I saw a thread before and someone said they average 15 sprays in the morning along with re-applications throughout the day lol. I mean I'm not out to insult anybody but what is the motivation behind this?
    The motivation behind this to be able to smell yourself all day long. It's the cure for a condition the Doc's call "Ol' Factory Fatigue" or OFF for short. And just for the record I have about 20 sprays of Lucky You on today, and no one has complained about it being heavy, as a matter of fact I have gotten quite a few compliments.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrax
    The motivation behind this to be able to smell yourself all day long. It's the cure for a condition the Doc's call "Ol' Factory Fatigue" or OFF for short. And just for the record I have about 20 sprays of Lucky You on today, and no one has complained about it being heavy, as a matter of fact I have gotten quite a few compliments.
    20 sprays? That's gotta be some weak cologne then. Almost every colgone I can think of, if you put 15 sprays on you would absolutely reek of it beyond belief, you'd be able to smell it from 30 feet away lol.

The proper application of cologne is both an art and a science.

A man who knows how to properly apply his cologne can go to a job interview and always get the job offer, even if there are other job applicants who are much more qualified and experienced.

A man who knows how to properly apply his cologne will find that members of both sexes will, for some reason unknown to them, feel more comfortable and relaxed in his presence.

A man who knows how to properly apply his cologne will always have the woman of his choice by his side, for she will be irresistibly drawn to him.

These are some of the most basic rewards of learning the proper application of cologne. There are also some more controversial techniques for applying cologne. Although these techniques are very powerful, they can be dangerous if used in the wrong way.
    Last edited by Rockford; 7th September 2006 at 02:58 PM.

4 sprays max.

2 to the neck and one to the chest. The last shot goes on the shirt for longevity.

nobody has complained because they're trying to be polite

20 sprays of anything is far too much

Thrax

Quote Originally Posted by ruehljunkie
    nobody has complained because they're trying to be polite

20 sprays of anything is far too much
    I dont know what polite is where you live. But here when someone sticks thier face to your chest and starts to inhale deeply, thats being a little more than polite Thanks for the nice thought though. Perhaps you should wear more sometimes...

I usually apply right between each toe and under my eyelids.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

marilyn monroe applied chanel no.5 anywhere she wanted to be kissed.

Thrax

Quote Originally Posted by knightowl
    You ever sprayed any cologne in your eyes? That shit hurts.

Some people might want to know what can go wrong when applying cologne. Well, there are men on this board who have been bitten by women because of the cologne they are wearing. You must treat your cologne with respect.
    Last edited by Rockford; 7th September 2006 at 04:44 AM.

I give one spray to the top of the chest, covering where the neck meets the collar. If I know I'm going to be subjected to an event where someone will have to lean in to talk to me, I put a dab behind each ear at the sides of the neck.

A lot of people will ruin a fragrance by over applying. I also refrain from reapplying, as a fragrance should read like a book, from start to finish. You dont want to hear "once upon a time" while you're reading "the end".

I dont know what polite is where you live. But here when someone sticks thier face to your chest and starts to inhale deeply, thats being a little more than polite Thanks for the nice thought though. Perhaps you should wear more sometimes...
    just because you get a compliment doesn't mean there aren't 10 people who are secretly wanting to tell you to step away from the bottle.

again I'll repeat, 20 sprays of any cologne is far too much

Thrax

Quote Originally Posted by ruehljunkie
    just because you get a compliment doesn't mean there aren't 10 people who are secretly wanting to tell you to step away from the bottle.

again I'll repeat, 20 sprays of any cologne is far too much
    Well thank you for your all knowing opinion. Next time I have a question about anything I will come straight to you.

i wear a lot. put it wherever you want. wherever feels right. however many sprays. no rules man. you can put the whole bottle on if you want.

If it's something strong one spray to the wrist and then one tiny little spray to the neck. If it's weak then back of the knee's etc.

Quote Originally Posted by pluran
    i wear a lot. put it wherever you want. wherever feels right. however many sprays. no rules man. you can put the whole bottle on if you want.
    Now, THAT is what I am talking about! Lesson number one. When you apply your cologne, you got to be loose as a goose! You got to go with the flow, baby!

Thrax

Quote Originally Posted by Rockford
    Now, THAT is what I am talking about! Lesson number one. When you apply your cologne, you got to be loose as a goose! You got to go with the flow, baby!
    Oh.Hell.Yeah.

I agree 100% with Rockford's posts.

; )
    Current faves: CdG White, Amouage Dia, Millesime Imperial, Miller Harris Terre de Bois

i work in big open places...like an airport...but also have to function in small enclosures too...-offices-....what works for me is the chest hit...wrist thing/neck thing...i hold frags well so it all seems potent...

I go for 4. 3 split between the chest and neck, 1 either on the shirt or - if I wanna smell the scent closely for the day - the wrist.

you only live once (in this lifetime anyway), so SPRAY AWAY.....

but watch out for the eyes.

I might've smelled some of you lads from across the street. lol. From a woman's perspective, why come any closer if I can already smell the guy from afar?

It may be blasphemy to say this on a perfume board, but the natural smell of a [clean] man is very sexy, and fragrance is supposed to complement it - not completely eradicate.

Good post Thrax! You do seem to be an oasis of common sense a lot of the time on this talk board.

It is a waste of cologne to use too little, you may as well not wear any!

I believe I may be the infamous "15 sprayer" referred to by an earlier poster. Yes I spray 15 sprays in the morning and refresh at lunchtime, or even more often if necessary. I only spray on my skin these days, not on my clothes, so it gets absorbed and dissipates quite quickly.

In the morning I do places like backs of knees, small of back, all over the place! At lunchtime I only do about four or five sprays, mostly down my shirt, and/or on arms. I like to be able to smell it now and then during the day to cheer me up and keep me going.

No one has complained about my scent. Ever.
    My Current Top 5: Terre d'Hermès | Terre de Bois by Miller Harris | Isfarkand by Ormonde Jayne | Brit for Men by Burberry | Grapefruit by Jo Malone

Wardrobe / Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by gummybug
    the natural smell of a [clean] man is very sexy
    Can't argue with that
    My Current Top 5: Terre d'Hermès | Terre de Bois by Miller Harris | Isfarkand by Ormonde Jayne | Brit for Men by Burberry | Grapefruit by Jo Malone

Wardrobe / Reviews

I usually spray around 6 - two on the chest, two on the abdomen, 1 on each wrist. But it does depend on the frag.

Mugler Cologne? I go for it - as many as I like, and refresh at midday.

Kouros/Tuscany? I would choke myself (and others too, I suspect) if it was any more than four all up.

One needs to spend time with one's fragrances, to "become one" with the scent, to work out how it works out with you.

And I think I'm going to have to try some of those other places - behind the knees and small of back - never tried it there before!

I've yet to get a compliment - let alone women biting me - so I'll try anything!

QE

Thrax

Quote Originally Posted by GenuineImitationLife
    Good post Thrax! You do seem to be an oasis of common sense a lot of the time on this talk board.

It is a waste of cologne to use too little, you may as well not wear any!

I believe I may be the infamous "15 sprayer" referred to by an earlier poster. Yes I spray 15 sprays in the morning and refresh at lunchtime, or even more often if necessary. I only spray on my skin these days, not on my clothes, so it gets absorbed and dissipates quite quickly.

In the morning I do places like backs of knees, small of back, all over the place! At lunchtime I only do about four or five sprays, mostly down my shirt, and/or on arms. I like to be able to smell it now and then during the day to cheer me up and keep me going.

No one has complained about my scent. Ever.
    Thank you very much GIL. You, I, Ziffy, and Col (who can empty a 1.7oz bottle in 3 and 1/2 applications) could quite possibly fill a large building with the most amazing scents.

There are a couple of things you'll need to take into consideration:

1) what you're trying to achieve. I've found two schools of thought:
    a) someone should have to be in your personal space to smell your cologne
    b) your cologne should have noticable sillage

2) strength of the fragrance in question. How much I apply depends in part on the perceived strength and longevity of the fragrance. (ie, I use more sprays of Baldessarini than Hanae Mori)

3) olfactory fatigue. This will vary from fragrance to fragrance and person to person. There is one problem and a couple ways of dealing with it. All olfactory fatigue is is that you stop smelling your own cologne.
    a) you just have faith that it's on and smells nice and you don't worry about it
    b) you apply your cologne farther away from your nose to reduce saturation (skip your neck and check, apply to wrists, back of knees)
    c) you re-apply your cologne during the day
    d) you just put on a whole lot

4) clothes versus skin. I am of a mind that the fragrance reacts with your skin and develops. Spraying on clothes lasts a long time, but if you have lots of fragrances instead of just a signature scent you can get cross-pollution. Especially if it's on a jacket that doesn't get cleaned frequently. But in the end, it's your juice, your clothes and your body, so do what you want.

hope this helps

To each their own, but I do two to the neck, one to the chest and one on the shirt. sometimes I do the wrists. It really depends on the fragrance. For instance, Jean Pascal and A*Men are p-o-t-e-n-t, so I just use two sprays. For TM Cologne....I try to take a bath in it and hope its enough.
    - Ben -

Top Five:
    Creed Royal Oud; Byredo Black Saffron; Etro Etra; Creed Aventus; Xerjoff Nio

eBay: mississippi_rifleman
    Twitter: Cigar_Ben

Wardrobe

Stogie Review

I do one to each forearm two to the chest and one to each side of the neck,varying the amount ineach spritz depending on the frag.

oh, one other thing I forgot to mention...

when wearing fragrance on skin, you can have a 'heat activation' event when your body temperature rises. I've had barely noticeable cologne go powerhouse after a mere 10 mins in a hot nightclub. (it was Rive Gauche)

just another factor to keep in mind

when someone sticks thier face to your chest and starts to inhale deeply, thats being a little more than polite
    Have you considered the possibility that she fainted?

I apply cologne to each individual strand of hair on my body. It really works great. The only downside is it takes many days to do so, so by the time I am half way through the hairs where I started have lost all their scent so I have to start over again.

I never leave the house....EVER.....EVER.....hA HAHAHAAHA AHA

Last edited by mentallo; 7th September 2006 at 08:55 PM.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    WANTED buy/swap: Creed "Acier Aluminum" , L'Occitane "Eav des Bavx", Comme Des Garcons stuff especially "Dry Clean"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Current Top 10: TM Cologne, Mark Birley, Dzing, Vetiver Extraordinaire, Geir, Divine's "L'Homme de Coeur", Penhaligons 'Endymion",
    Creed Original Vetiver, Diptique Tam Dao, Hugo Boss "Spirit"

Quote Originally Posted by gummybug View Post
    I might've smelled some of you lads from across the street. lol. From a woman's perspective, why come any closer if I can already smell the guy from afar?

It may be blasphemy to say this on a perfume board, but the natural smell of a [clean] man is very sexy, and fragrance is supposed to complement it - not completely eradicate.
    I agree 100%. I will at times be near someone who has put on way to much cologne. This Is a big mistake that a lot of people make. They dont realize how pungent there sent Is, It's not pleasant. Only because you cant smell It dosent mean others cant. I hit my chest and stomach and maybe a spritz to the wrist, four or five at the very most.

Almost anywhere you like and almost any number of sprays- I generally use at least 3 sprays of any frag (but never over 10-12, except the case it's very weak) and usually behind my earlobes, on the neck and on my chest

Talking Re: Correct places to apply cologe and how many sprays?

this thread is pure comedy. the sarcasm is the grandest!

Quote Originally Posted by knightowl View Post

Again I agree, there are exceptions when the frag Is week. I love "The One " by DG but the staying power Is ....??? well there really Isn't any. I have to go a little heavy with this one, 5-10 sprays and maybe more before I leave the house. I have been using DG ph to layer with, they play well with one another

Quote Originally Posted by mathematics View Post
    this thread is pure comedy. the sarcasm is the grandest!
    Resurrecting a 4 year old thread and quoting a 4 year old post is even funnier
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

This thread is being brought back to life and will be the longest running thread Is Basenotes history The mother of all threads
    Last edited by Gabbanaguy; 8th February 2010 at 11:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabbanaguy View Post
    This thread is being brought back to life and will be the longest running thread Is Basenotes history The mother of all threads
    Good luck on that.
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

5,6 sprays do the trick for me each time, two under ear lobes , one on each wrist , two chest
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

Two sprays on each wrist. One spray on each elbow crook. One spray on each side of neck. Four sprays on chest. One to two sprays on top of head. 13-14 sprays total.

I do this with most of my scents. I have yet to encounter a scent that was too overpowering on my skin. My wife would let me know that I was too strong.

58 sprays total
    1 on my head
    20 on my neck and chest
    28 on my crotch
    2 on my armpit
    7 on my feet and legs

works great! everybody notices me, only problem is i usually buy a new bottle every week.
    Check out my YouTube Channel
    http://www.youtube.com/user/JRWRlTER

OMG !
    I only use 2 sprays if there is a concencrated EDT and only on my neck or 3 for a normal one.
    My record is 4 ml EDT in one day (a 4 ml Calvin Klein Eternity mini !). Everybody noticed me. I could still feel the smell next day.

If it's strong, no more than 4 sprays, and that's only if I'm going out the door to work or something and won't be around people for a good 15-20 minutes. One spray on the front of my neck, one on the nape, and one on each forearm. If I'm going to be in close quarters with others shortly after spraying, I'll knock it down to 2, maybe 3. Something particularly tenacious like Obsession or Poison, though, and all bets are off - one spray on the neck, then I put the bottle down and walk away.

If it's light, I can spray more freely, but I still keep it under 6 sprays, with the small possibility of re-application later in the day (generally once my fragrance fades I want to try something else).

You guys with your 15-20 sprays are insane. Seriously. It's a waste of fragrance.

Well, since there is no "correct" way. I'll tell you my way

1 spray on the sternum.
    1 spray on the abdomen.
    1 spray on either Scapular.
    1 spray on one of my clavicle's.
    And A Final Spray On my Neck!

Cheers and take care!

- Balava!
    - I Want To Appreciate You With My Eyes Closed-

- Anonymous

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Chanel Antaeus Equipped With A Double Whipping Of A Black Leather Jacket

Quote Originally Posted by thierry mugler
    58 sprays total
    1 on my head
    20 on my neck and chest
    28 on my crotch
    2 on my armpit
    7 on my feet and legs
    Each day ?

Quote Originally Posted by Scentational View Post
    Each day ?
    i hope hes joking..

each day every day 365 a year till the day im 6 feet under
    Check out my YouTube Channel
    http://www.youtube.com/user/JRWRlTER

I get the best effect from Kouros when I spray it directly into both of my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by thierry mugler View Post
    each day every day 365 a year till the day im 6 feet under
    I wasn't judging you anyway, just checking if you were joking 'cause it seems a lot for me but... if you feel good in that way, do whatever you wish

Not applying usually does the trick for me.. !!

Believe it or not, this thread has been very helpful to me. Thanks for the serious posts and the comedy ones as well.

This idea of spraying cologne on one's shirt, where on the shirt do you spray and is there any special technique that works best?

Quote Originally Posted by Rockford View Post
    The proper application of cologne is both an art and a science.

A man who knows how to properly apply his cologne can go to a job interview and always get the job offer, even if there are other job applicants who are much more qualified and experienced.

A man who knows how to properly apply his cologne will find that members of both sexes will, for some reason unknown to them, feel more comfortable and relaxed in his presence.

A man who knows how to properly apply his cologne will always have the woman of his choice by his side, for she will be irresistibly drawn to him.

These are some of the most basic rewards of learning the proper application of cologne. There are also some more controversial techniques for applying cologne. Although these techniques are very powerful, they can be dangerous if used in the wrong way.
    Always? What if the person doing the hiring doesnt have a sense of smell...like my father or my brother?

So, scent is magical now? Hrmm, weird, cause the girl of my choice wont stand by my side, no matter how I smell.

If only we all lived in the same fantasy world as you.

Blog Entries

Rockford is a master comedian alasdair.

My 2¢ = the following.

I agree with Rob on reapplying. I understand if all you like is the opening but most of my perfumes are lovely at all stages and I like to go on the journey. Re-applying is like giving up and starting over (or throwing the towel in and going home).

I also agree with all who said different perfumes, different amounts of sprays. Getting to know your perfume is fun and testing for amount, sillage and longevity on your partner is also fun.

I'm with GenuineImitationLife in that using very little so that no one, not even yourself can smell it is a waste of time and money. Someone on another forum once said "If you can smell it on yourself, you're using too much." which made me guffaw. I remember asking my monitor what perfumes were for and why bother wearing them at all ...
    I also agree with the person who said 15-20 sprays is just a waste. If you need that many then I suggest you take an olfactory break or switch to another for a short while. You could buy a scent that smells the same at 3 sprays as your weak one does at 15/20. Or you could completely ignore me. I'm good with all options!

Clothes: A lot of perfumes/colognes smell different on paper/clothes than skin. Some do smell similar and are safe to apply to clothes but a lot do not. For example, Midnight Poison smells like Vicks Vapour Rub™ on clothes but on (my) skin is smells like a rosy, patchouli oil. I love Bvlgari pour Homme on my curtains but it's completely different on skin (thumbs up on curtains, thumbs way down on skin). That's another case of testing/playing with your perfumes. If your frag does smell to your liking on clothes then that's where you're most likely to get the best longevity. Spray on arms as they move the most and you'd get the most benefit.

Body: I can only tell you where I spray and why. I spray one each clavicle, share one between wrists, share one with the back of my hands and if I'm leaving the house, one on the back of my neck under my hair. That last one is for everyone else. Aren't I generous? Lol
    The reason I spray on my clavicle is that I can't really smell it from the pulse points on my neck; back of the hands is for easy access (especially when testing) but also it seems to last longer there. I think the pulse points are a bit of a myth to be honest. I know heat amplifies all manner of scents but it also diminishes them more quickly.
    I perspire a little more than your average bear and I discovered that spraying on the back of my forearms rather than inner, is much more effective giving me better sillage and more longevity in the summer months.
    I now only spray the backs of my hands and forearms when testing because I get a better 'read' that way.

Please note that I have oily skin and tend to hold scents longer than those with dry skin (like my husband). As I'm getting older those oils are decreasing and I think that is affecting my perfume's sillage and longevity. Keeping that in mind I'd also suggest waiting a while after having a shower to apply so that the 'fumes can blend with your natural oils.

All up, playing with your perfumes is the best way to discover what works best for you. And it's a lot of fun.
    Last edited by Kal; 28th June 2010 at 03:44 AM.
    He isn't poor because he lacks money but because everything he wants is unobtainable ...

My name is KaL - EL - EL - L - L - L ! D: