Code of Conduct

Default Please help me choose a Serge Lutens frag

A dear friend travelling to Paris in a few weeks has offered to bring back a fragrance of my choice. I think I'd like a Serge Lutens, obviously an exclusive one that I couldn't obtain here in the US. What to pick? I love patchouli and musks but don't want to offend others. Usually don't like strong florals but can take them with a little spiciness mixed in. Tuberose often overwhelms me but I can appreciate it as it dries down. Of the 20 or so frags I own, my favorites are:

Narciso Rodriguez for her,
    Coco Mademoiselle,
    Lancome Magie Noire,
    Bal a Versailles,
    Diptyque Philosykos,
    Hermes Hiris, Un Jardin en Mediterranee and Eau des Merveilles,
    D & G Light Blue,
    I occasionally use my husband's Terre d'Hermes and love it,
    Eau de Cartier Concentree,
    and (I'm embarrassed to admit) Jovan Musk for her.

Would I like Borneo 1834? Chene? Bois Et Musc? Iris Silver Mist? Other suggestions from this house or other Parisian houses?

Thanks very much!

Default Re: Please help me choose a Serge Lutens frag

Fleur d'Oranger is lovely, but I would go for Feminite du Bois (not
    entirely a SL perfume - think he collaborated with Chris Sheldrake
    on this one). It's a real stunner and if you like cedar and spices
    in a plummy, intoxicating mix then it's the one for you. I always get
    loads of compliments when I wear this and it is only available in France, I believe. I think my bottle cost around 65 euros in Marrionaud.

Have you ever tried Rahat Loukoum from Lutens? It is a soft almondy scent, I like it the best out of all the Luten's I've sniffed.
    P.S I love Jovan Musk for Her!

I second Feminite du Bois..mmmm. Also Un Lys is breathtaking! My hunny can't keep his hands off me with this one. Also out of all my perfumes, knows these 2 by name and house.

I like Miel de Bois from Serge Lutens. Your friend is sure lucky to be going. It is an experience just going into the Salons de Palais Royale.

You might also like Noir Epices at Frederic Malle.

This is all so personal and not easy to choose for somebody else LOL.
    Tastes are so different!

I for myself love Ambre sultan by Serge Lutens. And so far it is the only one from him I like.

I can highly recommend the Patricia Nicolai house (I love her Sacrebleu and her prices in France are very much less expensive than in the US, I got my extract from Paris)

Ohh of course I will have to 2nd Fleurs d'Oranger one of my faves from SL... the other one is Datura Noir

... but from Frederic Malle I also have to suggest: Musc Ravageur, Iris Poudre & Carnal Flower to you...

What a wonderful friend you have... but then again you must deserve it!
    "Of the five senses, the sense of smell is incontestably the one that best conveys a sense of immortality."

Salvador Dali

Regarding your favs, I think Iris Silver Mist, a dry and earthy Iris with her roots would be a good choice. For a wonderful soft patchouli with exotic woods and bitter chocolate take Borneo, it is strange at first, but will grow on you. Encens and Lavender is beautiful and etheral, not sweet, if you like both ingredients it is great.
    The Boises are all variations on the Feminite de Bois, so nothing you will really need from Paris

Feminite du Bois is quite popular in Europe, so you can find it at major perfumeries in most of the big cities, I've seen it all over Germany. But ask for the Shiseido section.

You can review the listed notes if you google "nearly all the facts" and if you PM me, I'd be more than happy to send you a few drops of Fumerie Turque, Iris Silver Mist, Encens et Lavande, and Rehat Loukoum. The Un Lys as well, though I warn you it is a strong floral as is Fleur d'Oranger.

Rehat Loukoum is thick and sweet. I don't find Iris Silver Mist to be earthy, rather cool and metallic, I bought it blind and find it too masculine to wear. Encens et Lavande is divine, but no patch or musk. Now, Fumerie Turque is a delight, and you might like it. Lots of honey, rose, incense and vanilla, and a little patch.

Chene I recall as being a tad winey. Okay, very winey, what with the oak tannins and rum absolute.

Borneo 1834 I never tested! I'm not a big patch fan, I actively dislike chocolate notes so I passed it unopened.

Anyway, whatever you decide, good luck.

if you want to drive men crazy and get hot compliments all day/night ---> Fleurs d 'Oranger but you can get it in the US

Tubereuse Criminelle - I love the narcotic drydown but after 20 min it dries down to the most beautiful tuberose on the market with its passion fruit note; very elegant, refined and gets you compliments too

Rose de Nuit is you like chypre florals
    Santal de Mysore will transport you to Siam
    Bois et Musc, the musk version of Feminite du Bois - better than Feminite du Bois considering it 's a little touch more sensual and softer than FDB

Oh yeah, and Fumerie Turque is coming to the export line as a limited edition this fall, supposedly. Un Lys just retired from that spot, and is exclusive again.

Check this out:

http://www.salons-shiseido.com/anglais/html/index.htm Then click on BUY ONLINE in the upper right corner.

I don't remember that. Or has this been in effect for awhile and I just missed it?

Edit: Never mind; European shipping only. Sorry about that. So close and yet so far....
    Last edited by bottoni; 8th September 2006 at 02:03 PM.