Code of Conduct

Default Dreaming of a replacement....

My wife wears Gap Dream, the original, exclusively. Now I'm not saying I don't like it, it's not bad, has good sillage and isn't sweet in the least but, welllllll, I wouldn't mind her having at least two or three to choose from. She doesn't like shopping so hanging out at the fragrance counter sniffing and trying is out of the question, any suggestions?

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Dreaming of a replacement....

Joel- Great to see things are good with you. My new girlfriend wears Angel, the women's version, and I like it very much despite not being particularly fond of the men's, which I think is just too strong. If you get it and she doesn't like it, let me know and I will either swap for it or buy it from you at a fair price.

She makes gagging sounds when I cross the room wafting a lovely trail of Hanae Mori EDP behind me and that's the nice noises she makes around most gourmands. Casual Friday draws shrieks, Mat: Very Male made her dizzy, Yang, more gagging, and when I spritzed A-Men from a small tester she insisted that I go wash it off. Picky picky picky. I guess what I'm leading up to is that she's pretty keen on freesia (although I could have swore it was a massive load of fig leaves), if I read hers right. But thanks, I'll try to sneak a spray of Angel on her and report on the ensuing fireworks.

Freesia and fig - she needs Cristobal (Balenciaga.)
    Call off the search!!

If she likes freesia and hates heavy gourmands, then I am picturing a fresh, breezy style lady.

Crabtree & Evelyn makes a beautiful Freesia that I purchased for a gift this year for a Chanel No 5 wearer, something about it really made me think she'd like it and she did! It is not your usual single note freesia scent and I'm sure it must smell differently than Gap's.

I also have fallen in love with Eau de Recolte Bleue, a new one by L'Occitane. It is a light French lavender scent with notes of freesia, peach and marigold. I wear that at night mostly, because it's so relaxing, but can see it working out well in cooler weather, too. She'd have to like a delicate lavender scent to appreciate it.

Another light and pretty scent is by Salvadore Dali called Dalistyle, notes are: Water lotus, gardenia, freesia, pear, granita and pink berries. The bottle is beautiful, too. Can be found inexpensively online.

If she likes fresh orange blossoms, then I would recommend Pre de Provence Orange Flower or one by Cote Bastide, both from Provence France and sold on Beautyhabit, samples available.

A nice one I bought this past spring is Acqua di Gio for Women by Armani. That has notes of sweet peas and fresh, ocean air. Maria Shriver (Arnie's wife) wears it, too. (I will not attempt to spell his last name without looking it up, hehe.)

One more idea, the limited springtime editions of Paris Roses by Yves Saint Laurent. If she likes fresh roses, those are a consideration. I just ordered four different bottles, after sampling one! As a light fragrance lover, myself, it's hard to come by ones I actually like enough to wear that don't smell like bug spray.

PS She does not sound like the Angel type to me. I would go a different route.
    Last edited by beachroses; 11th September 2006 at 03:33 PM.

Oh! It suddenly came to me... how about White Cherry Blossom, a new one at Bath and Body Works? She might like that and it's only $18, too. It's my nieces favorite.

Description: This fresh scent is a seductive blend of spring's first blossoms with sweet Sicilian bergamot, exotic lychee, water lily and rosewood. It also has a freesia note.

Link for further info: http://www.bathandbodyworks.com/prod...entPage=family

On you, she might like some of the colognes by Guerlain like Imperiale, Eau de Guerlain or Eau de Coq. They are very elegant, light and can be found online for a lot less than a dept store. They were recommended to someone last week who wanted a non-offensive fragrance for morning use.
    Last edited by beachroses; 11th September 2006 at 04:19 PM.

If she likes freesia, she will most likely enjoy Diptyque's Ofresia (a lovely scent in my opion too!).
    Crabtree & Evelyn's Freesia is nice, but I think Ofresia is better. She may also like Philosykos (also from Dyptique), En Passant, Un Fleur de Cassie and Lys Mediteranee from Frederic Malle.
    Ayala Moriel, Perfumer
    Ayala Moriel Parfums http://www.ayalamoriel.com/
    Visit my SmellyBlog: http://www.smellyblog.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Ayala
    If she likes freesia, she will most likely enjoy Diptyque's Ofresia (a lovely scent in my opion too!).
    Crabtree & Evelyn's Freesia is nice, but I think Ofresia is better. She may also like Philosykos (also from Dyptique), En Passant, Un Fleur de Cassie and Lys Mediteranee from Frederic Malle.
    Ayala
    I think you are right on with Lys Mediteranee. its a lovely light lily. I think Fleur de Cassie and En Passant would be a bit riskier. Some o the Goutals could be good too, you can really spritz em on and not be overwhelmed. I am praticularly fond of Chevrefeuille.

oh oh oh! I just thought of another that could be the one...
    Parfums de Nicolai Fig Tea
    it is a light fig/osmanthus fragrance. actually on my wish list too.

After I thought of White Cherry Blossom at Bath and Body Works, I considered deleting my post with all those other suggestions in it. Since this lady likes Gap scents and is not a big fragrance hound, I would not recommend those expensive niche fragrances that are hard to find, expensive to buy and difficult to return. You could easily pick up White Cherry Blossom for under $20 and she could easily replace it, if she liked it, or return it, if she didn't.

Also agree that my suggestion of C&E's Freesia probably wasn't appropriate for her taste, doesn't have that hip feel to it. Good point.

(I should add that all the suggestions on here are really good, I've tried some of them and you have given me some ideas of more to check out, especially that one by Parfums de Nicolai! Also, Cristobal is one I've been eyeing. I have been looking for a fig scent and love Cielo, but the drydown kills it for me. Other people are reading these threads for ideas, too, didn't want to discourage anyone from putting more on. I'm using them!)
    Last edited by beachroses; 13th September 2006 at 02:06 PM.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll see which of these are available locally and let you know if any of them strike her fancy. I just brought a shopping bag full of Dream shower gel in as she was getting low and they were on sale for a whopping six bucks a tube. I still think the predominant note in it is some sort of fig leaf but that's probably just my less than discriminating nose.