Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: Which of these choices best describes your pattern since becoming "serious"?

Voters
90. You may not vote on this poll
  • Acquired primarily mainstream. Very satisfied with many of these. Little exploration of niche.

8 8.89%
  • Acquired primarily mainstream. Very satisfied with some of these. Little exploration of niche.

4 4.44%
  • Acquired primarily mainstream. Very satisfied with many of these. Have explored niche.

3 3.33%
  • Acquired primarily mainstream. Very satisfied with some of these. Have explored niche.

3 3.33%
  • Began with mainstream. Now mostly acquire niche. Very satisfied with many of each.

8 8.89%
  • Began with mainstream. Now mostly acquire niche. Satisfied with some of each.

8 8.89%
  • Began with mainstream. Now mostly acquire niche. Mostly dissatisfied with mainstream.

12 13.33%
  • Began with mainstream. Now feel I wasted a ton of money on them before moving on to niche.

1 1.11%
  • Acquired primarily niche. Very satisfied with many of these. Little exploration of mainstream.

4 4.44%
  • Acquired primarily niche. Very satisfied with some of these. Little exploration of mainstream.

1 1.11%
  • Acquired primarily niche. Very satisfied with many of these. Have explored mainstream.

3 3.33%
  • Acquired primarily niche. Very satisfied with some of these. Have explored mainstream.

2 2.22%
  • Began with niche. Now mostly acquire mainstream. Very satisfied with many of each.

0 0%
  • Began with niche. Now mostly acquire mainstream. Satisfied with some of each.

0 0%
  • Began with niche. Now mostly acquire mainstream. Mostly dissatisfied with niche.

0 0%
  • Began with niche. Now feel I wasted a ton of money on them before moving on to mainstream.

1 1.11%
  • Have always acquired from both groups but have been generally more satisfied with niche.

11 12.22%
  • Have always acquired from both groups but have been generally more satisfied with mainstream.

4 4.44%
  • Have always acquired from both groups and there is no pattern in terms of satisfaction.

16 17.78%
  • None of the above

1 1.11%

Default What's been your pattern since you became "serious" about fragrances?

From the time you first became "serious" about fragrances, which of these choices best characterizes your pattern of acquisitions and preferences? Where the terms "niche" and "mainstream" are used, just apply your personal standard for what constitutes a niche or a mainstream/designer fragrance.
    Last edited by Tuner_Watson; 8th September 2006 at 11:12 AM.

Default Re: What's been your pattern since you became "serious" about fragrances?

I started with the easy, simple stuff. Anything I could find in Sephora, basically. I moved on to some niche but eventually got way into niche and forgot about most designers. I still love the few designer frags I have but I am very much into now.

Default Re: What's been your pattern since you became "serious" about fragrances?

This looks like a visa request form...

Ok: Have always acquired from both groups but have been generally more satisfied with niche.
    « L'odeur de rose, faible, grâce au vent léger d'été qui passe, se mêle aux parfums qu'elle a mis.»
    [ Paul Verlaine ]
    Wardrobe

Now this is an excellent poll with all the possibilities carefully thought out to give an intelligent, informative result. A comendable effort Tuner_Watson.

I voted the following:

"Have always acquired from both groups but have been generally more satisfied with mainstream."

scentemental
    Last edited by scentemental; 9th September 2006 at 04:55 AM.

Wow! Talk about thinking about nearly every possibility! Nicely done!

"Have always acquired from both groups and there is no pattern in terms of satisfaction."

Jeff

I like the poll too. Can't wait for more replies. Here's my identity:

"Began with mainstream. Now mostly acquire niche. Mostly dissatisfied with mainstream. "
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Post Re: What's been your pattern since you became "serious" about fragrances?

Yes, excellent poll.

Acquired primarily niche. Very satisfied with many of these. Have explored mainstream.

Still at the mainstream stage with a little exploration into niche.Very satisfied with mainstream most are well made,smell great with good sillage and decent longevity.

I started off with what I could acquire cheaply, with the occasional niche splurge. The more I bought and sampled, the more I found that I was mostly dissatisfied with mainstream frags, especially newer ones, and usually much more interested and even captivated by "niche" scents. They seem to be more creative and exciting to me, maybe because they are not held to the same profit requirements as mainstream frags.

Very good poll Tuner!!!
    I wish I had myself this idea! I like such clever polls!

Aweome poll which allows a sensible analysis of the topic rather than just mainstream vs niche.

I answered "started with mainstream, satisfied with most, have explored niche"

Of my near 40 collection, most are mainstream (classics). I've explored niche reasonably well - Creed, L'Artisan, Lutens, Malle, Acqua di Parma, Villoresi, Goutal, etc - I own and love GIT and Malle Vetiver. On the whole could only see myself buying a few more Creeds (Tabarome, Himalaya, maybe BdP) and perhaps AdP Colonia Assoluta. Maybe Chergui except I'm coming into another long summer and my window of opportunity for these types of frags is about 4 weeks! The others don't really rock me, but it's not for want of imagination, accessibility or money. I'll keep looking for my niche holy grail though - just to make my collection "complete"

ged
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

I don't "keep-in-stock" a lot of frags. I've got about 15 bottles and various samples and bits. But I use huge amounts, and replace as needed.

I prefer niche or really cool designer houses like Hermès.

My main hates are Gaultier and Issey Miyake.
    My Current Top 5: Terre d'Hermès | Terre de Bois by Miller Harris | Isfarkand by Ormonde Jayne | Brit for Men by Burberry | Grapefruit by Jo Malone

Wardrobe / Reviews

Mostly mainstream & pretty darn satisfied. Niche can be as good as mainstream but I'm lazy and don't want to pay a lot for this muffler.

I like some mass market too.
    Slumming is fun.
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

Thanks much for the kind words about the poll, and for your votes. The results so far are interesting. My own response was "Acquired primarily niche. Very satisfied with many of these. Little exploration of mainstream."

A few things induced me to put this one together. First, the thread a few days ago by a member who had just tried MI and was despairing that his 20-some other fragrances had suddenly stopped cutting it. That got me thinking about my approach to other hobbies, such as photography. One school of thought there is that you're best off starting out with entry-level equipment so you can learn your way around things and discover more about your equipment preferences and what features are important to you in practice. Then, armed with this knowledge and experience, you upgrade one or more times to get what is ultimately right for you. I always thought this approach was suspect, encouraged by camera companies and their surrogates to increase sales. My approach to purchases in areas I'm unfamiliar with has always been to do a bunch of research and try to figure out what I'm ultimately going to want, and just buy that at the start. As a result, even my earliest photographic efforts and ocasional triumphs were recorded with exceptional lenses, and I've never been able to blame my equipment for my failings as a photographer.

I followed this pattern with fragrance. Although everything is far more subjective, I found enough written and olfactory support for supposing that I might eventually end up with niches anyway, and mostly bought them from the start. I think it was the right way to proceed for me, and started to wonder how others had approached things.

I'm not often captivated by mainstream/designer fragrances, even those of obvious excellence. My conclusion is that in crafting fragrances with a broader appeal, the perfumers lose me. The final inspiration for the poll was sampling, not for the first time, two very highly regarded non-niche scents (Pour Monsieur Concentrée and L'Instant) and concluding, again not for the first time, that I feel no need to own them and would likely almost never wear them.

I voted like Dust B and feel like Robrogi. Ive been wearing colognes some 30 years now (since age 16). Started with British Sterling and Jovan Musk oil. Then Eau Savage, Royal Copenhagen, into Calvin Kleins first scent and Oscar De La Renta, then Polo and then the Armani and Acqua di Gio. Found Creed and this site about the same time, some 4 or 5 years ago. Got a little more serious on the niche, but now, even when I smell the new inserts of new colognes that come in GQ or Sports Illustrated, I can not get excited about designers. The everyone wearing AdG kinda blew me away from the Macy's-type scents and then the Lorenzo Villoresi opened my eyes to Piper Nigrum and what someone who had vision and less desire to rule the fragrance world. Now Serge seems to be my lemming. I also like people asking me, what is a Serge Lutens, when they ask what I am wearing. Id imagine that I am one of three or four people in Memphis that even know of this line, lol

Sam

Quote Originally Posted by DustB

"Began with mainstream. Now mostly acquire niche. Mostly dissatisfied with mainstream. "
    --Chris
    Ditto!

I started with both and get the most satisfaction from mainstream/vintage designer.
    Last edited by pluran; 5th February 2012 at 06:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuner_Watson
    ....I'm not often captivated by mainstream/designer fragrances, even those of obvious excellence. My conclusion is that in crafting fragrances with a broader appeal, the perfumers lose me. The final inspiration for the poll was sampling, not for the first time, two very highly regarded non-niche scents (Pour Monsieur Concentrée and L'Instant) and concluding, again not for the first time, that I feel no need to own them and would likely almost never wear them.
    Very interesting approach to male fragrances, TunerWatson. I can easily follow you to a point. Niche mainly grew as a necessity to avoid sins of mass markets, and the way I see it, no mass market existed for male colognes until the last quarter of the 20th century. I also have difficulties to determine mainstream in male fragrance of the eighties compared with the present situation. That's perhaps why I have quite a few favorites from the eighties and earlier. Nowadays I am very sceptical of new launches, and niche becomes more and more attractive. But I am not blind to unfortunate trends and very bad errors there too. Bad taste surrounds us everywhere, and as always with love, more beauty is not a direct function of more dollars.

I like the many options for your poll and found my answer among them, thanks!
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

I must join the chorus: this is an excellent, thoroughly thought-out poll. Great work, Watson!

My pick was "Have always acquired from both groups but have been generally more satisfied with niche."

I don't discriminate any scent group (except celeb frags) but just as in music, cinema, fashion etc I tend to be more into alternative/indie stuff. Still, I love also huge bestsellers like Angel and wear them with pride!
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

"Have always acquired from both groups, but have been generally more satisfied with mainstream."

Went along in the usual Basenotes patern of going from mainstream to discovering niche fragrances, but now I'm going back to mainstream again.Some are good (Divine's L'Homme Sage, MPG's Santal Noble f.e.), some of them dissapointed, especially considering the prices you have to pay for them. Give me Guerlain or Hermes at all times and I'm a happy man.
    Last edited by eric; 10th September 2006 at 02:58 PM.

bleu autumn haze

my vote:
    "Have always acquired from both groups and there is no pattern in terms of satisfaction."

I went with this because if you look at my favorites, there is a mix of both designer + niche fragrances on the list.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Funny thing about this poll is that it showed me that if I assess them honestly, the Guerlains and Slimane-era Diors that I like are technically mainstream, even if they aren't at Macy's or Nordstroms.

My serious era started with a fling with Gourmands, after whch I spent a lot of $ exploring mainstream and niche, ending up gravitating towards the aforementioned Guerlains and Diors. I think I had been kind of looking at them as "niche," but they really aren't are they?