Code of Conduct

Default Opium PF EDP vs. JHL

Ok I tried Opium Pour Femme EDP again, and it smelled good on my skin this time. I think there was a bad bottle at Douglas Cosmetics when I tried it a year or two ago. Anyhow, I found it to be pretty similar to JHL, but with a couple differences.

JHL seems to have a bit of carnation. Opium dries down to vanilla.

Anyhow, let me know what you think. I'm wondering how Opium compares to Cinnabar since JHL gets compared to Cinnabar (many say it is a clone).
    K
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]MisterK / Vicomte de K / K[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio[/FONT]

Default Re: Opium PF EDP vs. JHL

Last edited by pluran; 24th January 2012 at 05:15 PM.

MisterK,

My good friend, trust my good friend pluran; he is right on the money with this comparison as he is with all his analyses, reviews, and whenever he extols the virtues of his latest passion.

I say it ever time the topic of Opium (for women) comes up, so I'll say it again. IMO, Opium in all its incarnation is the best oriental ever created for men, even though it was created for women. I can't wait for the weather to get cold so I can wear it. My favorite version, apart from the extrait, is Opium Secret de Parfum (25% more concentrated than the EDP version with some subtle changes to the formulation), a frickin powerhouse of a fragrance but so beautifully smooth and integrated that the higher concentration doesn't so much overwhelm one as it envelops one in narcotic headiness that is sheer bliss. An incidental detail, Jean Louis Sieuzac, the nose behind Opium, was one of the co-creators of Fahrenheit.

scentemental

Last edited by scentemental; 9th September 2006 at 01:41 AM.

Serpent

Quote Originally Posted by MisterK
    Ok I tried Opium Pour Femme EDP again, and it smelled good on my skin this time. I think there was a bad bottle at Douglas Cosmetics when I tried it a year or two ago. Anyhow, I found it to be pretty similar to JHL, but with a couple differences.

JHL seems to have a bit of carnation. Opium dries down to vanilla.

Anyhow, let me know what you think. I'm wondering how Opium compares to Cinnabar since JHL gets compared to Cinnabar (many say it is a clone).
    The scent is called Opium. No "pour Femme." As is the case in most masterbranded scents, the original scent is the women's and carries no distinction as such. Obsession, L'Instant de Guerlain, Envy, and L'Eau d'Issey are all women's scents, too. Obsession for Men, L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme, Envy for Men, and L'Eau d'Issey pour Homme are the men's counterparts.

As for Opium, the construct of the scent is a very masculine opening and a feminine drydown. It begins with a crisp, tart citrus and hard spice notes with little evidence of floral notes or sweetness. It makes a typically masculine statement on first contact. But the drydown switches gears and goes powdery and slightly sweet. It dries like a typically feminine fragrance. In shifting from very manly to very womanly, Opium makes a powerful statement on a woman: It says, "I'm as strong and independent as any man, but I'll still yield like a woman." It is, hands-down, the most anti-feminist fragrance ever. That combination of strong masculine notes with that current of soft, sweet femininity running beneath is the secret to Opium's phenomenal success. It makes a woman feel confident yet still womanly, and it sends a message that this woman is a challenge to conquer (but it's definitely possible).

Moreover, the complexity of this fragrance and the concept behind it (whether intended or accidental) demonstrates why Opium has been so successful over the decades and why all imposters - as well as the comparatively simplistic Opium pour Homme - don't live up to Opium.

The other fragrance often compared to Opium is Youth Dew. Legend has it Estée Lauder was furious when she smelled Opium and thought of it as plaigiarism of her landmark scent. Cinnabar is sort of Estée Lauder's shot back at Opium, an attempt to reclaim from Yves Saint Laurent what they felt was stolen. They are similar, but Opium is more complex and intriguing.