Code of Conduct

Thumbs up Brut = Rive Gauche

Finally today I went and purchased Brut, and the first thing that came to my mind when I first sniffed it was "Rive Gauche" It smells 70% identical. Brut is more smoother and richer and is missing the strong patchouli and moss. But one can see that it influenced Rive Gauche a lot. I had purchased the EDT of Brut, it was the first time ever I saw a EDT version of Brut from the all the chemists I have been to. I think that Brut smells just as good, if not better then RG and it is so cheap.
    "...but I also can't prove that mushrooms could not be intergalactic spaceships spying on us." Daniel C. Dennett

Top 5
    Heritage 2. Antaeus3.Kouros 4. Drakkar Noir 5. Montana PDH

Default Re: Brut = Rive Gauche

INCEDAL,
    I had noticed the similarity too... Isn't the Anis note?
    IMHO, Rive Gauche is a "niche" version of Brut (what in no way means that It's better, just that It has a worse staying power and is more subtle and stays closer to the skin).

I agree, they're similar. Though Brut is fresher and has a more prominent green note.

In fact, it has better longevity.
    « L'odeur de rose, faible, grâce au vent léger d'été qui passe, se mêle aux parfums qu'elle a mis.»
    [ Paul Verlaine ]
    Wardrobe

I also think it is the Anis note. I can remember the smell of Brut from my childhood, I think one of my uncles use to wear it and everytime I sniff my arm I am taken back to a wedding party that I faintly remember. I don't think RG is a niche version, because Brut smells more richer and stronger then RG. RG is more clean and fresh and of course has a heavy does of patchouli and moss.
    "...but I also can't prove that mushrooms could not be intergalactic spaceships spying on us." Daniel C. Dennett

Top 5

Quote Originally Posted by Sandalwood
    I agree, they're similar. Though Brut is fresher and has a more prominent green note.

In fact, it has better longevity.
    Fresher? I see Brut more cloying and heavyer then RG. RG is more lighter and fresher to my nose. I do agree about the green note, even the box is green.

Top 5

Quote Originally Posted by incedal
    Fresher? I see Brut more cloying and heavyer then RG. RG is more lighter and fresher to my nose. I do agree about the green note, even the box is green.
    Strange. I just did a comparison (in a card) from a RG sample and an old Brut EDC splash bottle that I still have around and I did find Brut fresher. It could be that my RG sample has lost now some of its top notes, maybe. Or perhaps your EDT version is different in a way or two ?

Anyways, Brut is one of those unfairly underrated fragrances.
    « L'odeur de rose, faible, grâce au vent léger d'été qui passe, se mêle aux parfums qu'elle a mis.»
    [ Paul Verlaine ]
    Wardrobe

I think the fragrance that most resembles Rive Gauche is a scent that gets literally no airtime here: Child Perfume for men.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandalwood
    Strange. I just did a comparison (in a card) from a RG sample and an old Brut EDC splash bottle that I still have around and I did find Brut fresher. It could be that my RG sample has lost now some of its top notes, maybe. Or perhaps your EDT version is different in a way or two ?

Anyways, Brut is one of those unfairly underrated fragrances.
    Maybe the difference might be that the EDT is more stronger, or my nose smells it differently.

Top 5

I've always wanted to try Brut but it's not sold anywhere close by... or maybe I was always just distracted by the other bottles : P

Quote Originally Posted by myaccolades
    I've always wanted to try Brut but it's not sold anywhere close by... or maybe I was always just distracted by the other bottles : P
    It's sold at most drug stores

Quote Originally Posted by myaccolades
    It's usually available in chain chemist/pharmacist stores. In the UK, that would be Boots and Superdrug. I've seen it, and am now pondering about it.
    My Current Top 5: Terre d'Hermès | Terre de Bois by Miller Harris | Isfarkand by Ormonde Jayne | Brit for Men by Burberry | Grapefruit by Jo Malone

Wardrobe / Reviews

I find they have similar top notes, but the drydown is different. Brut is a lot more floral and ambery, Rive Gauche is dirtier, with longer duration and generally easier to wear. Nevertheless, even though I tend to go for the dirtier frags, I find Brut to be more effervescent, exciting and refereshing.

Keep in mind there is also "Brut Classic" which is the Brut with the long phallic neck and silvery sort of medallion. I'm not sure what the difference is between this and the stuff in the plastic bottles at the drugstore. Brut Classic I had to dig to find, but the plastic stuff in the drugstore should be easy enough to get.
    K
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

Quote Originally Posted by MisterK
    I find they have similar top notes, but the drydown is different. Brut is a lot more floral and ambery, Rive Gauche is dirtier, with longer duration and generally easier to wear. Nevertheless, even though I tend to go for the dirtier frags, I find Brut to be more effervescent, exciting and refereshing.

Keep in mind there is also "Brut Classic" which is the Brut with the long phallic neck and silvery sort of medallion. I'm not sure what the difference is between this and the stuff in the plastic bottles at the drugstore. Brut Classic I had to dig to find, but the plastic stuff in the drugstore should be easy enough to get.
    K
    Thats the one I have, it is a EDT splash, it does not seem to last too long it seems average in that department, but I have to agree about the drydown, it is different to RG but you can still pickup the top notes that smell like RG.

Top 5

Quote Originally Posted by incedal
    Thats the one I have, it is a EDT splash, it does not seem to last too long it seems average in that department, but I have to agree about the drydown, it is different to RG but you can still pickup the top notes that smell like RG.
    Cool that you found the EDT as a splash. Mine is spray. Is it in a glass bottle? The ones in the drugstores I've seen are splash.

My wife loves the drugstore Brut when I wear it like a splash EDT.
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

I wear Rive Gauche but I wouldn't be wearing it if it strongly resembled Brut. There are profound differences in raw ingredients and quality.

The fresh top notes in RG come out best when you apply very lightly, from a distance, covering a large surface area. When applied in a concentrated fashion, it becomes a lighter version of Quorem.