Code of Conduct

Default Creed Selection Verte

I love this frag. However, I have noticed that sometimes when I put it on I get a fantastic minty cooling effect, and sometimes I don't. Anyone else noticed this and have any theory about why?
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Default Re: Creed Selection Verte

Yea its great! I had a decant of this and went through it in no time. The cool mint was always there though - I noticed that its more pronounced in hot weather. And that ( herbal ) sweet pea middle and basenote is interesting too.
    -

it always smells of the mint but sometimes it literally feels cool in a menthol type way. The sweet pea is an interesting and very unusual base.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Jeff, I very often am stunned, too, with this odd (but not unpleasant) effect. in fact, SV is the only scent I know that causes an immediate physical effect on me. It's like pressing an icecube on the skin. As you mentioned, this phenomenon doesn't occur everytime. I think it depends on temperature or on the amount I apply.

By the way, I find SV extremely long-lasting for a summer fragrance!

Basenotes Institution

Bumping this thread - cause I am wearing Selection Verte today for the first time from a sample. My thoughts:

1. Can't believe that I'm liking yet another Creed! I don't get along with most Creeds, but now I've hit the trifecta: Silver Mountain Water, Virgin Island Water and Selection Verte. I guess this makes it ok now, for me to admit I still hate GIT.
    2. I will repeat what I read in a review - the citrus top notes of SV are amazing. Simply amazing. The only other citrus top notes that have even come CLOSE are Eau D'Orange Verte by Hermes (but we all know the crappy longevity of EdOV), and Neroli Portofino by Tom Ford (longevity is great, but its citrus is a little sweet). Yes, I have said before that Concentree Bigarade is my fav orange scent, and it still is, but CB is a wonderful tart, sour citrus scent - SV is different. It's a well stirred 'cocktail' of citrus scents, perfectly blended on the rocks.
    3. I love mint - so the mint interwoven with the citrus is a no-brainer for me. SV's mint is not the Doublemint gum blast of Guerlain's Herba Fresca and not the 'cooling effect' refreshing mint of the CdG Sherbert series either. Some other 'frequency' of mint. I don't get the physcial bracing mintiness that has been mentioned in this thread (for that I must apply Absinthe by Ava Luxe...which literally makes me vibrate with refreshment!!) but the mint in SV is crisp, extremely natural smelling and subtle (like the coconut in VIW, subtle).
    4. I wish it lasted a tad longer. But maybe the humidity here makes it disappear a little faster on my skin. Not sure. In the South Florida heat, a scent like this could quickly become a go-to scent for me - if it wasn't so expensive.
    5. Do women wear this? They should, I'd love to smell this on a woman.

Just wanted to show that there have been a few different versions of Creed Selection Verte, one of my favorite citrus/ summer weather fragrances. The first 3 testers are varying degress of vintage, which I would describe as having a much more prominent herbal aspect than the last tester, which is the more recent issue (which is still quite good, IMO). This one is discontinued and once existing stock is depleted, it's gone. I think the IFRA regulations on citrus oils contributed to the demise of this one (and Citrus Bigarrade).

Martin

I have the one that first came out and I think it's wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazznpool View Post

Just wanted to show that there have been a few different versions of Creed Selection Verte, one of my favorite citrus/ summer weather fragrances. The first 3 testers are varying degress of vintage, which I would describe as having a much more prominent herbal aspect than the last tester, which is the more recent issue (which is still quite good, IMO). This one is discontinued and once existing stock is depleted, it's gone. I think the IFRA regulations on citrus oils contributed to the demise of this one (and Citrus Bigarrade).

Martin
    Excellent post.

I've found a similar variance in vintages of Selection Verte. It seems the darker the juice, the more floral/spicy/vegetal the scent tends to be. I've smelled dark amber testers with very little tart citrus top-end, and very little of the supercooling skin contact effect our friend Hirch made note of. The Golden juice batches tend to be my favorites. Those seem to have all the rich lemon & mandarin intact, and still have very smooth/sweet/rich floral/herbal bases. The pale yellow and clear batches tend to smell very tart, superchilled-minty-effervescent, and not too floral, much more basil/herbal on the drydowns rather than the spicy green floral of the golden or amber vintage juices.

In any state it's a joy for me to wear, but of course I love the vintage a good measure more than the more recent batches. Whether Selection Verte's plight is mostly Creed's fault or IFRA's fault, I'm not exactly sure. But I do find it an utter shame that the scent which I feel is the most perfectly timeless fresh scent, as well as being simultaneously the best green scent and the best citrus scent, is in a position to be missed altogether by most. Selection Verte truly is a thing of beauty. I may not have seen eye to eye with Sigmund Freud on a host of issues, but his taste in personally commissioned fragrances is IMPECCABLE. Nearly half the natural ingredients listed have some sort of antidepressant qualitues as well. I almost wonder if it was deliberate ?

Another interesting trivial thing:
    Olivier Creed's first compositions (EDT and EDC), actually smell quite alot like the rough drafts of Selection Verte.

Agreed - excellent post Martin and great to see the photos of those SV testers. It was my SOTD yesterday and Dullah knows my passion for this wonderful juice. I've also tried the Olivier EdT and EdC and found (although lots of fading) it was quite similar to Selection Verte.

This is probably one of the only fragrances in history that makes such beautiful use of mint. Also, the citrus/herbal mix is so masterfully done that it's difficult to dissect, though Dullah does a great job in his description. As I look at my dwindling stock, it makes me think I might need to seek out someone trained in Dr. Freud's techniques to alleviate my inevitable depression!!

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    Excellent post.

I've found a similar variance in vintages of Selection Verte. It seems the darker the juice, the more floral/spicy/vegetal the scent tends to be. I've smelled dark amber testers with very little tart citrus top-end, and very little of the supercooling skin contact effect our friend Hirch made note of. The Golden juice batches tend to be my favorites. Those seem to have all the rich lemon & mandarin intact, and still have very smooth/sweet/rich floral/herbal bases. The pale yellow and clear batches tend to smell very tart, superchilled-minty-effervescent, and not too floral, much more basil/herbal on the drydowns rather than the spicy green floral of the golden or amber vintage juices.

In any state it's a joy for me to wear, but of course I love the vintage a good measure more than the more recent batches. Whether Selection Verte's plight is mostly Creed's fault or IFRA's fault, I'm not exactly sure. But I do find it an utter shame that the scent which I feel is the most perfectly timeless fresh scent, as well as being simultaneously the best green scent and the best citrus scent, is in a position to be missed altogether by most. Selection Verte truly is a thing of beauty. I may not have seen eye to eye with Sigmund Freud on a host of issues, but his taste in personally commissioned fragrances is IMPECCABLE. Nearly half the natural ingredients listed have some sort of antidepressant qualitues as well. I almost wonder if it was deliberate ?

Olivier Creed's first compositions (EDT and EDC), actually smell quite alot like the rough drafts of Selection Verte.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyDG View Post
    As I look at my dwindling stock, it makes me think I might need to seek out someone trained in Dr. Freud's techniques to alleviate my inevitable depression!!
    It's still available in flacon size, although certainly not the vintage.

Quote Originally Posted by RedRaider430 View Post
    It's still available in flacon size, although certainly not the vintage.
    Creed Boutique hasn't had any stock, in what, a year or more ? I see Luckyscent still has 3 flacons, and NYfragrance apparently has 1 flacon....anyone else know of any other stock ? All the chicagoland Nieman marcus have just testers...never any bottles or flacons for over 4 years.

Even if IFRA has really taken it's toll on Mr. Frued's favorite, I hope Creed continues to produce some form of it forever. It, along with Fleur de the Rose Bulgarie, were the two Private collection scents which made the cut, I assume due to them being the most contemporary. I'd be really sad to see it go. Don't do it Creed!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyDG View Post
    Agreed - excellent post Martin and great to see the photos of those SV testers. It was my SOTD yesterday and Dullah knows my passion for this wonderful juice. I've also tried the Olivier EdT and EdC and found (although lots of fading) it was quite similar to Selection Verte.

This is probably one of the only fragrances in history that makes such beautiful use of mint. Also, the citrus/herbal mix is so masterfully done that it's difficult to dissect, though Dullah does a great job in his description. As I look at my dwindling stock, it makes me think I might need to seek out someone trained in Dr. Freud's techniques to alleviate my inevitable depression!!
    Thanks again and again for your gumshoe work Anthony. That liter made my collection. And seriously, after studying aromatherapy extensively....the citrus, mint, herbal, and even floral essences used in Selection Verte are like a perfect recipe for peace of mind and happiness. It's amazing that fragrances can have such profound tangible effects on us, but they do.

I want this, to bad it's discontinue

I tried this one some years ago and it reminded me of those lemon drop boiled sweets. Will have to retry to see if I can get a different perspective on the scent.

Creed Boutique hasn't had any stock, in what, a year or more ? I see Luckyscent still has 3 flacons, and NYfragrance apparently has 1 flacon....anyone else know of any other stock ?
    Parfums Raffy still shows to have (at least) a flacon of it, and he gives a 5% Basenotes discount.

The pleasure is all mine, Dullah - I still cherish every drop, and SV is definitely one of these fragrances that sets me at ease, mentally and emotionally. It also renders many Eau de Colognes somewhat irrelevant or redundant, to me, and many times I've pondered on buying a good portion of the non-vintage to wear when I still want the SV feeling but don't want to use any of my precious vintage!

Do the non-vintage batches still have that mint "cooling effect" to the same degree as the vintage? I did evaluate one batch of the non-vintage and noticed a synthetic citrus vibe but forget how much of a role the mint played in it.

Thanks again and again for your gumshoe work Anthony. That liter made my collection. And seriously, after studying aromatherapy extensively....the citrus, mint, herbal, and even floral essences used in Selection Verte are like a perfect recipe for peace of mind and happiness. It's amazing that fragrances can have such profound tangible effects on us, but they do.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jazznpool View Post

Martin
    Excellent post.

These two posts, taken together, are excellent, reference material, for sure. KUDOS to you both !!!!

Martin, Dullah and others - thanks for the pics and updates. I will never forget that one day in early 2007 when I got a decant from a fellow BN'er and the hyper-realistic lemon oil coupled with the razor sharp and a/c cool mint and a touch of herb/pea blew my nostrils off. As the years go by I suspect SV will just become a memory..
    -

I tried it yesterday and I can say is excellent, minty and fresh, and the Creed salesperson is really nice and knowleadgeable of perfumes, and they have available three flacons of it! For those in the LA area is in the Santa Anita Mall in Nordstrom, they have a tester too (That is where I tried it)

Basenotes Institution

I recently bought a large decant of Selection Verte and took it with me on my summer vacation to the Cape a couple weeks ago - in the blindingly hot weather, where I walked everywhere and got lots of sun.

Behind story: I tested this 5-6 years ago, for the 1st time, and loved it. But for some reason I never bought any. I own (and love) many mint prominent fragrances (the discontinued Mint (Series 1: Leaves) by CdG, AA Mentafollia by Guerlain, Declaration Eau de Genereuse by Cartier), it is one of those notes that can be mentally uplifting and energizing to me - it is usually what I spray on before I head to the gym. There was a while there that I thought AA Herba Fresca was my absolute favorite mint scent, but now I really have to hand that title over to Selection Verte.

For those of you with longevity issues, look elsewhere, since this scent doesn't last too long on skin - but for the time that it lasts it is sublime. It's bracing, refreshing, effervescent. There is not one synthetic bone in it's body. For something so mint prominent it manages to cool me (not just olfactorily but physically, it makes me cool on my chest when I spray it on) and yet it doesn't smell biting or sharp when you spray it on, it has a tactical softness to it that is addictive.

The citrus note is so realistic, it's giggle inducing. When I drink water (from those plastic bottles) I usually squeeze a twist of lemon or lime into the top. Doing this leaves a lingering smell on your fingertips (for a few seconds) of lemon or lime oil, from the rind/skin of the citrus and SV actually smells JUST LIKE THIS. Amazing.

There is only one other scent that is as equally good as this, Eau d'Orange Verte by Hermes, but I find the Creed more satisfying due to the mint and sweet pea base.

I am definitely not a Creed-fan club member, but I must give credit where it's due. This stuff is amazing and I can easily see myself going through my entire decant this summer. The scent will always remind me of Summer 2012, which will be a nice olfactory memory.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    When I drink water, I usually squeeze a twist of lemon or lime into the top. Doing this leaves a lingering smell on your fingertips (for a few seconds) of lemon or lime oil.

There is only one other scent that is as equally good as this, Eau d'Orange Verte by Hermes, but I find the Creed more satisfying due to the mint and sweet.
    I do the exact same thing, with almost every glass of water /ice water I drink. I'm the guy at the restaurant who asks for it (lol). I'm that much of a citrus nut.

And agreed, SV & EDOV are both top-5 citruses in my book. But SV is also high on the list of masculine florals, and top rank among mint scents, the mint is just so aromatic and rich, like it's an absolute including leaves, roots, etc.

I could wax for hours about how much I love Selection Verte, but I really enjoy hearing others enjoyment of it even more. Thanks Mike.

Basenotes Institution

You're welcome Dullah.

One more thing: It has ambergris in the base, but yet it manages to steer nicely enough away from the typical-Creed-ambergris-base-notes that so many from the Creed line have. The ambergris is there, but vaguely, providing some sort of olfactory lift but not getting in the way of the mint, citrus and florals.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac