Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Can't find the beauty in "Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme"

Can you expand on the longevity idea, pluran? I don't understand why it's not bad if someone (not me) can't detect my fragrance after a few hours...

Quote Originally Posted by Puddy
    Can you expand on the longevity idea, pluran? I don't understand why it's not bad if someone (not me) can't detect my fragrance after a few hours...
    Hi Puddy,

The olfactory system is extremely complex and far from from being understood.

"I should think that we might fairly gauge the future of biological science, centuries ahead, by estimating the time it will take to reach a complete comprehensive understanding of odor. It...contains, piece by piece, all the mysteries." - Lewis Thomas - Taken from the book, The Emperor of Scent

Once you have smelled hundreds of fragrances over a good deal of time, you realize (I have anyway) that what you initially smell (or not smell) may change substantially over time, and in ways which you cannot imagine. The perception of longevity is just another part of that. Whether it's you perceiving the scent, or those around you being able to smell it or not. It can be very deceptive.

I am tired. I'll just give this example. Many of the L'Artisan fragrances are perceived to have weak longevity. For a long time I felt the same way. Dzing! and Passage d'Enfer were good examples. I liked the way they smelled but after buying bottles of both I was disappointed. For months I didn't even wear them. Once I did start wearing them again, my perception of them changed several times. Over time (several months) everything seemed to settle. I now like both of them a lot. That goes for all of the features - they smell good, have good construction, balance etc, good presence, sillage and longevity. Many people will maintain that the longevity of these two is poor. I can't agree because I can smell them strongly for at least 5-6 hours. The scents themselves are not as powerful as many others but that's a different concept altogether.

It could be explained in a more consummate manner but that's what I can give you right now. This mystery of odor applies to many fragrances. There will be many which you may or may not like and then change your mind over time.

This quote comes to mind when thinking about fragrances:

"More knowledge makes more manifest the many gaps in your knowledge, for the more you know the more you know you don't know. That is why constant certitude is the mindset of fools."

When related to smelling fragrances one could change that quote to something like:

"More smelling makes more manifest the many gaps in your olfactory system, for the more you smell the more you...

The initial citrus blasts in D&G Pour Homme have the same effect on many as the iris notes in Versace's Dreamer -- that is to say, very "off-putting." I love the tobacco notes in both D&G AND The Dreamer, but only after I've put on four or five spritzes and allowed both at least half an hour of "dry down" time. Whenever I wear either fragrance, I always give myself at least that half hour after getting dressed and going out in public.

D&G is like The Dreamer, too, in that you either love it or hate it -- there is seldom, IMHO, much in between for most folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Ludlow
    I have never ever understood the hype about this one. I tried to like it, but no.
    I couldn't agree more..i bought a small sample and i must have tried it on my wrist on several occassions...each time with greater enthusiasm...but every time it was in for a huge disappointment...infact i loathe it now...

gupts

D&G PH is one of my favoreites. I love the peppery opening and the drydown is delicious.

Quote Originally Posted by scentemental
    open-mindednes is healthy antidote to the pre-mature ejaculations of the mind that seems to plague the board periodically
    scentemental
    If this hadn't been in double size, coloured, and fat print I might have overlooked it. A bit much for a peaceful Sunday, and off topic.
    Last edited by narcus; 16th October 2006 at 11:30 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

I find that Herrera for Men treads a bit more carefully in the same territory as D&G pour Homme, and since I find D&G overbearing at times, maybe Herrera could be a gentler place to start. I think many people would agree at any rate that the 2 are substantially similar, but I'm even more interested to hear if folks disagree!