Code of Conduct

Default Can't find the beauty in "Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme"

Dear basenoters,

I'm a bit unsure about this scent. It strikes me as a bit "mediocre". Nevertheless, there h a s to be something about it, taken the admiration of many basenoters into consideration. (The fact that it's a "mass market fragrance" doen't matter for me at all.)

It would be kind if the fans of D&G pour Homme would state their opinion. Maybe you can help me "understand" it. Thanks.

Default Re: Can't find the beauty in "Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme"

I find it a little boring too, even though my favorite note is tobacco. It projects really well and is an all around likeable scent that's not too simple (though it's certainly not that complex).

Post Re: Can't find the beauty in "Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme"

I have never ever understood the hype about this one. I tried to like it, but no. It's quite horrible in my opinion.

I perceived as it as commercial and nothing special for quite awhile but began to like it a lot more after wearing it off and on for a few months. It actually has a lot of quality about it. The tobacco accord is extremely respectable. This is obvious the more it dries down. It develops into a very pleasant texture on the skin. It's extremely diffusive, tenacious and long lasting. When I wear it, it tends to be in spurts - maybe for a few days here and there and then not again for a couple of months. I give it a strong thumbs up either way. When I look at Dolce & Gabbana fashion, I find that the fragrance fits it well.

Quote Originally Posted by pluran
    I perceived as it as commercial and nothing special for quite awhile but began to like it a lot more after wearing it off and on for a few months. It actually has a lot of quality about it. The tobacco accord is extremely respectable. This is obvious the more it dries down. It develops into a very pleasant texture on the skin. It's extremely diffusive, tenacious and long lasting. When I wear it, it tends to be in spurts - maybe for a few days here and there and then not again for a couple of months. I give it a strong thumbs up either way. When I look at Dolce & Gabbana fashion, I find that the fragrance fits it well.
    Obviously you have to be considered as a convert in terms of D&G. That gives me hopes, Pluran. Now I'd like to hear suggestion on how many spritzes you would recommend for "appropriate wearing". At the moment I need at least five of them to give me a comforting feeling.

I just got a decant of it, and will use it as my SOTD today. In face I am going to apply some right now. Will post later what I think of it.

I'm no fan of it but it's perfectly wearable and pleasant with a few terms of use. One being to wear it lightly (5 spritzes? Yowzer!) and preferably in rather cool, if not cold, weather.

I know a girl that wore the feminine counterpart to D&G Pour Homme last fall/winter. I never asked her how much she was using but I know I could smell her over 20 feet away out in the OPEN AIR on a breeze. Way too much. I was only glad I never had to be in a confined area with her!

Quote Originally Posted by FragranceFan255
    I'm no fan of it but it's perfectly wearable and pleasant with a few terms of use. One being to wear it lightly (5 spritzes? Yowzer!) and preferably in rather cool, if not cold, weather.

I know a girl that wore the feminine counterpart to D&G Pour Homme last fall/winter. I never asked her how much she was using but I know I could smell her over 20 feet away out in the OPEN AIR on a breeze. Way too much. I was only glad I never had to be in a confined area with her!
    Thanks for this. By now I haven't yet received any feedback from other people so I can't evaluate the sillage. I'll try reduce the number of spritzes a bit.

I put one shot on each wrist. 2 shots on front of neck and one on the back and I could barely smell it.

As a huge tobacco fan, I do enjoy D&G. However, as I have stated in another post; it's not "exactly what I am looking for" because it has more than just tobacco going on and I don't think tobacco is a domineering note on this one, for me -I do enjoy it however.

I think this is one of those scents that works heavily with one's own chemistry.

Personally I spray one blast on my chest, and a light spray on each side of my neck -3 sprays. Seems to work well for me. Another thing I have found while wearing this particular fragrance is; it seems to clash with other scents. Example: Bath soaps, body wash, deodorants, etc. I have been using Mitchum unscented deodorant, this works for me.

Hope this helps.

I recall really liking this the day I tried it, but it was completely gone on me after 4 hours. Something I'd never had happen before - frags usually stick to me for the entire day. And it wasn't just olofactory fatigue either, a female friend couldn't detect anything either.

Quote Originally Posted by DesGrieux
    Dear basenoters,

I'm a bit unsure about this scent. It strikes me as a bit "mediocre". Nevertheless, there h a s to be something about it, taken the admiration of many basenoters into consideration. (The fact that it's a "mass market fragrance" doen't matter for me at all.)

It would be kind if the fans of D&G pour Homme would state their opinion. Maybe you can help me "understand" it. Thanks.
    I agree with you. I think it's a decent quality scent, but its particular type of tobacco doesn't work for me. And it's rampant popularity must be waning, because it's showing up cheap at Marshall's in the U.S., which will be good news for some.

Oddly enough, I prefer OP Blend, which is more or less a sweet clone of D&G, with less tobacco.

I think what most attracts me to D&G are the pretty women in their ads.

Quote Originally Posted by Cognoscento
    I think what most attracts me to D&G are the pretty women in their ads.
    This could be easily the name of another thread. "Do you buy colognes just because of the women in their advertising?" :-) Nevertheless I understand completely what you mean.

I really enjoy D&G, but it actually took me a year of owning it until I started wearing it. I thought it smelled too "old" when I received it as a gift, but as I began to understand its niche in my collection, I appreciated it a lot more. The tobacco and citrus is nice and lasts a while, but I really love how D&G settles out into a powdery floral on my skin after a few hours. Good stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by John
    I really enjoy D&G, but it actually took me a year of owning it until I started wearing it.
    A year is a long time... I had the same experience with Habit Rouge EdT. But by now it has become my "signature" scent (means I wear it more often than once in a week...). Maybe it will be the same with D&G. Although I predict that Habit Rouge might be "in a league of its own", compared to D&G.

I don't think this stuff is that good either. I have a decant of it and it's not bad per se, but it's not something I would reach for regularly. The Dreamer is much better in my opinion if you're talking about tobacco.

It's been awhile since I've smelled it, but I remember the topnotes reminding me of citrus + stale cigarettes. Even if the drydown is better, no thanks.

But then I don't like tobacco in general, so really this says nothing about the quality of the scent; i'm just not a fan.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

It works well in pubs, clubs and bars - and thus (my) work - in that its strong, copes with the smoke and sweat, and the detergent-affect base makes being covered in alcohol, sweat and cigarette smoke slightly more bearable. It is also one of the few fruity fragrances I can cope with - which is quite strange in my demographic (18 year old caucasion British male) - as there's a fair bit more going on. The mish-mashed neroli, lavender and tobacco provide an effective accompaniment. Hardly complex or revolutionary in the art of fragrance, but it works for me.

Ok at first I really didn't like this scent..... ON the second try I still REALLY DON"T LIKE THIS SCENT lol. Does nobody get a lemon/ bathroom soap like smell to this scent. It smells too much like a house soap. To me the tobacco note is faint in comparison to its strong soapy notes. Does anyone agree with me?

I agree rippa. The first thing I get when I spray is a blast of smoke, then the smoke dies completely and all that's left is heavy citrus. Then that dies, too. Four hours for me, as well. I don't get the reviews raving about its longevity. Maybe it's skin chemistry....

Quote Originally Posted by DesGrieux
    A year is a long time... I had the same experience with Habit Rouge EdT. But by now it has become my "signature" scent (means I wear it more often than once in a week...). Maybe it will be the same with D&G. Although I predict that Habit Rouge might be "in a league of its own", compared to D&G.
    Habit Rouge. I must admit this stuff continues to grow on me with each use. At first it was pleasant, but I felt more cozy spraying it on my arm before bed or even the pillow. But I'm starting to recognize the magic of the drydown and will be reaching for it much more often now that cool weather is here.

Thrax

D&G is one of my favorites. Lemony and Tobacco-y. Yumma dum dum. I use around 10 sprays. hehehe

You can't find beauty because there is none.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

I think it's vile. Harsh. Headache in a bottle. Stuffy.And it has a sleaze factor to it.
    Top faves: Aramis Devin,Balenciage PH,Zino Davidoff,Trussardi Uomo,BlackXS,Sybaris,Furyo,HoHangClub,Santos Sport,KriziaSpazio,CarverVetiverDry,GIT,AmberSulta n,TeaForTwo,Dzing.
    My drobe: www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/47

This scent bores me.

You need about 10 sprays to make it last. As a test today I sprayed one wrist just once like I normally do, and I hit the other forearm with 3 sprays from close range. After 4 hours, the 1 spray was indetectable, and the other was still detectable, but it was all citrus. The smoke just doesn't last.

Quote Originally Posted by Puddy
    You need about 10 sprays to make it last. As a test today I sprayed one wrist just once like I normally do, and I hit the other forearm with 3 sprays from close range. After 4 hours, the 1 spray was indetectable, and the other was still detectable, but it was all citrus. The smoke just doesn't last.
    All I have to say on the subject:
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=168370

-Slim

...When I look at Dolce & Gabbana fashion, I find that the fragrance fits it well.
    True, and also it seems to be the D & G fashion that really carries it. A welcome alternative to Armani, but does it really last better than an average Armani cologne?
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

a quality aromatic/fougere. i can't relate with many of these perceptions. it took time to like this one. i thought it smelled rather commercial. i couldn't understand why people liked it. over time those perceptions changed drastically. it smells extremely good. the dry down is compelling with texture, a quality, distinct and tenacious tobacco accord. it's almost like running a good cuban cigar with lots of plume (from age) under your nose. it's profoundly diffusive with excellent longevity.

the two most profoundly misunderstood characteristics of fragrance - longevity and the belief that what you initially smell (at first whiff, the first few hours, or various experiences over weeks) is what the fragrance actually smells like. it often takes many months to grasp what's there.

. . . the two most profoundly misunderstood characteristics of fragrance - longevity and the belief that what you initially smell (at first whiff, the first few hours, or various experiences over weeks) is what the fragrance actually smells like. it often takes many months to grasp what's there.
    Never truer words spoken.

Carefully considered, deeply meditated, thoughtfully parsed and intelligent perceptions, analyses, and impressions, and a true appreciation of fragrance and the perfumer's art. This is why ever time I read something by pluran, I am know I am going to learn something and be stimulated into further thought. Without doubt, it's posts like these that really lift the level of discussion on the board and having me returning to the board for more.

My experience of Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme was almost identical with yours pluran. I find that all of the Versace fragrances don't appeal to me initially, but with time I wonder how I ever thought I could be without them. I think Green Jeans, for example, is an outstanding fragrance; initially I couldn't get over the harsh, bitter edge of the Oregano right there in the middle of everything, now that's one of my favorite features. Carrying a fragrance around with one over a significant period won't always make one like a fragrance, but if one does end up liking it, one wonders how on earth one could have ever thought negatively of the fragrance in the first place.

DesGrieux, I appreciate the open-mindedness of your initial post and the way your are open to the possibility that there might be something more to this fragrance than your initial impressions suggest. Such open-mindednes is healthy antidote to the rushed judgements that seems to plague the board periodically with regard to closed off, negative responses. You might find that there isn't anything more to the fragrance than your initial impressions, but I find listening to the positive evaluations of others is quite eye opening and can frequently lead to your finding or appreciating things in a fragrance that you might have otherwised overlooked or not even considered. I have changed my mind many times and gone back to a fragrance I didn't intially like on the basis of other viewpoints about the features and qualities of the particular fragrance under consideration. I never find that to be the case with most negative reviews. The most charitable thing I can say about such reviews is that they tend to fundamentally uninformative from any perspective. Sure, we learn that someone doesn't "like" a fragrance but that's usually about it. I hope you end up liking Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme and that it gives you the real pleasure that so many seem to derive from it.

scentemental

Self-edit: Seems like I offended the sensibilities of some with my use of colorful metaphor. I have removed the metaphor in the interests of not creating a distraction from what I have to say and for no other reason.

Last edited by scentemental; 16th October 2006 at 01:27 PM.

Can you expand on the longevity idea, pluran? I don't understand why it's not bad if someone (not me) can't detect my fragrance after a few hours...

Quote Originally Posted by Puddy
    Can you expand on the longevity idea, pluran? I don't understand why it's not bad if someone (not me) can't detect my fragrance after a few hours...
    Hi Puddy,

The olfactory system is extremely complex and far from from being understood.

"I should think that we might fairly gauge the future of biological science, centuries ahead, by estimating the time it will take to reach a complete comprehensive understanding of odor. It...contains, piece by piece, all the mysteries." - Lewis Thomas - Taken from the book, The Emperor of Scent

Once you have smelled hundreds of fragrances over a good deal of time, you realize (I have anyway) that what you initially smell (or not smell) may change substantially over time, and in ways which you cannot imagine. The perception of longevity is just another part of that. Whether it's you perceiving the scent, or those around you being able to smell it or not. It can be very deceptive.

I am tired. I'll just give this example. Many of the L'Artisan fragrances are perceived to have weak longevity. For a long time I felt the same way. Dzing! and Passage d'Enfer were good examples. I liked the way they smelled but after buying bottles of both I was disappointed. For months I didn't even wear them. Once I did start wearing them again, my perception of them changed several times. Over time (several months) everything seemed to settle. I now like both of them a lot. That goes for all of the features - they smell good, have good construction, balance etc, good presence, sillage and longevity. Many people will maintain that the longevity of these two is poor. I can't agree because I can smell them strongly for at least 5-6 hours. The scents themselves are not as powerful as many others but that's a different concept altogether.

It could be explained in a more consummate manner but that's what I can give you right now. This mystery of odor applies to many fragrances. There will be many which you may or may not like and then change your mind over time.

This quote comes to mind when thinking about fragrances:

"More knowledge makes more manifest the many gaps in your knowledge, for the more you know the more you know you don't know. That is why constant certitude is the mindset of fools."

When related to smelling fragrances one could change that quote to something like:

"More smelling makes more manifest the many gaps in your olfactory system, for the more you smell the more you...

The initial citrus blasts in D&G Pour Homme have the same effect on many as the iris notes in Versace's Dreamer -- that is to say, very "off-putting." I love the tobacco notes in both D&G AND The Dreamer, but only after I've put on four or five spritzes and allowed both at least half an hour of "dry down" time. Whenever I wear either fragrance, I always give myself at least that half hour after getting dressed and going out in public.

D&G is like The Dreamer, too, in that you either love it or hate it -- there is seldom, IMHO, much in between for most folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Ludlow
    I have never ever understood the hype about this one. I tried to like it, but no.
    I couldn't agree more..i bought a small sample and i must have tried it on my wrist on several occassions...each time with greater enthusiasm...but every time it was in for a huge disappointment...infact i loathe it now...

gupts

D&G PH is one of my favoreites. I love the peppery opening and the drydown is delicious.

Quote Originally Posted by scentemental
    open-mindednes is healthy antidote to the pre-mature ejaculations of the mind that seems to plague the board periodically
    scentemental
    If this hadn't been in double size, coloured, and fat print I might have overlooked it. A bit much for a peaceful Sunday, and off topic.
    Last edited by narcus; 16th October 2006 at 11:30 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

I find that Herrera for Men treads a bit more carefully in the same territory as D&G pour Homme, and since I find D&G overbearing at times, maybe Herrera could be a gentler place to start. I think many people would agree at any rate that the 2 are substantially similar, but I'm even more interested to hear if folks disagree!