Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thrax

Default The 10 Levels Of Junky-ism

Level 1: You have been at this site for for less than two months and have either have bought, or ordered 5 bottles.
    Level 2: You have enough bottles now that you actually have to "think" about what you are going to wear for the day.
    Level 3: You scorn Axe products.
    Level 4: You start picking out individual notes in scents.
    Level 5: When you are in bed, before sleep, you comtemplate what you are going to wear the next day.
    Level 6: You start looking for scents that have the bodywash, deodorant stick, and aftershave balm and/or any other products in the scents line.
    Level 7: After you have clearly picked out what you were going to wear the night before (see Level 5). You wake up and fight with yourself about what scent you will wear.
    Level 8: You walk around and smell your bottles compulsively even after JUST applying your scent of the day. Also, this may also lead to feelings of regret of what scent you put on.
    Level 9: You think the biggest perk about being a supporting member being able to start your own threads on the swap boards. (I know I do)
    Level 10: You either own, or HAVE owned over 100 bottles, and cant keep one long enough to finish it.

So how far have you been sucked into junky hell ?!? I myself, suffer from all 10 levels of the disease.

Default Re: The 10 Levels Of Junky-ism

I'm up somewhere close to 8, and I've barely been in the frag hobby for a year!

Blog Entries

Hello...my name is Annie...and I'm a CologneJunkie.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Thrax

Quote Originally Posted by CologneJunkie
    Hello...my name is Annie...and I'm a CologneJunkie.
    The first step on the road to recovery is admiting that you have a problem.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Thrax
    The first step on the road to recovery is admiting that you have a problem.
    Who said anything about wanting to recover
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Thrax

Quote Originally Posted by CologneJunkie
    Who said anything about wanting to recover
    I have found, through this whole experience, that I am the biggest threat to my bank account.

Hello. My name is Steve. I am a level 8 junkie. And I will never be giving up this addiction.

I have tried, but I'm about as successful at quitting as a nudist is at trying to climb a barb-wire fence.

All but 6, 9 and 10 apply to me... I guess that would be level 8. I would like to add "have you ever been loosing sleep over a fragrance, coming purchase or similar". If that can apply to several times a month, I can still be counted in.
    Last edited by shifts; 11th September 2006 at 08:15 AM.

Talking Re: The 10 Levels Of Junky-ism

I'm a Level 4 Junkie and I've never been happier! Thank you, Basenotes!

Level 8!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by QuietEarth
    [...] I have tried, but I'm about as successful at quitting as a nudist is at trying to climb a barb-wire fence.

Thanks for that mental image, Steve. Made my day!
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Oh man!

This is a slippery slope, and I'm slipping pretty fast.

What level would correspond to somebody who on most days does a right wrist vs. left wrist contest while at the same putting the main fragrance for the day on his torso ? Oh, and what about using different ones on upper and lower wrist ? And then changing all of these applications for the night, so one can test-wear 10 fragrances in 24 hours ? And sometimes adding one on the right shoulder and one on the left shoulder ?

Level six
    Was only looking for one bottle,then found basenotes
    And after reading reviews opinions from you smooth talking devils I was hooked.And I know as sure as night follows day that someday soon I`ll be a level ten junky :bounce:

Thrax

Quote Originally Posted by marco
    What level would correspond to somebody who on most days does a right wrist vs. left wrist contest while at the same putting the main fragrance for the day on his torso ? Oh, and what about using different ones on upper and lower wrist ? And then changing all of these applications for the night, so one can test-wear 10 fragrances in 24 hours ? And sometimes adding one on the right shoulder and one on the left shoulder ?
    10 for sure. Just because you took the time to write that post, your a 10.

Definitely level 8 : P been stuck there for a long time

Level 8 here... I haven't got to 100 bottles yet.
    Celebrating 10 years on Basenotes - and smelling better than ever

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Level 11. :bounce:

I hit level 10 a couple years ago, and now I've got the DTs so bad I wonder if Axe is any good as I walk around the drugstore.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]MisterK / Vicomte de K / K[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio[/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by MisterK

I hit level 10 a couple years ago, and now I've got the DTs so bad I wonder if Axe is any good as I walk around the drugstore.

This is WAY beyond Level 11!

You have to get to the point where you have every other drugstore frag before you even get close to this!

Thrax

Quote Originally Posted by MisterK

The sad thing is, I do the same thing!

"Level 8: You walk around and smell your bottles compulsively even after JUST applying your scent of the day. Also, this may also lead to feelings of regret of what scent you put on."

Rather spot-on observations that for once I am glad to not be unique. My wife thinks I've gone mad. I think she could cope with understanding an addiction to crack with more grace. I guess it does appear pretty silly to the uninitiated. My stepson loves to bring up how once I had just put something or another on to test drive. Anyhow, one of his favorite things is to come along and 'pick a fight'. So we're tussling and after getting clear of him for a sec I took a moment to throw my arm up and sniff. Suffice to say the absurdity of the gesture tickled him to no end and he still laughs about it. Personally I think he finds it all endearing in a quirky sort of way. He always gets excited when I have something come in and begs to open the boxes and have first sniff. I might be making a future junky out of him. Horrible huh?

Thrax

Quote Originally Posted by FragranceFan255
    "Level 8: You walk around and smell your bottles compulsively even after JUST applying your scent of the day. Also, this may also lead to feelings of regret of what scent you put on."

Rather spot-on observations that for once I am glad to not be unique. My wife thinks I've gone mad. I think she could cope with understanding an addiction to crack with more grace. I guess it does appear pretty silly to the uninitiated. My stepson loves to bring up how once I had just put something or another on to test drive. Anyhow, one of his favorite things is to come along and 'pick a fight'. So we're tussling and after getting clear of him for a sec I took a moment to throw my arm up and sniff. Suffice to say the absurdity of the gesture tickled him to no end and he still laughs about it. Personally I think he finds it all endearing in a quirky sort of way. He always gets excited when I have something come in and begs to open the boxes and have first sniff. I might be making a future junky out of him. Horrible huh?
    When my sisters, or mom comes around they always smell my stash. When I have a kid I am gonna load him down with stuff. Nothing but the best for my boy. Some Creed or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrax
    When my sisters, or mom comes around they always smell my stash. When I have a kid I am gonna load him down with stuff. Nothing but the best for my boy. Some Creed or something.
    If you started with Creed you'd be spoiling him. Then again, you'd be setting the right benchmark as well.

Quote Originally Posted by moondeva

Thanks for that mental image, Steve. Made my day!
    I just thank the Scent Gods everyday that I'm a cologne junkie, and not a nudist. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)

Level 8, terribly so. And I had on 3 samples today - Bazaar, Tzar and Must by cartier.. and someone smelled me and went, wow, that's a lot of Axe..... Ah well...

Well, these 10 levels aren't enough. There is (was?) a member, who stated that he had 807 frags.

LEvEL 8

am feeling accomplished....wid the goal in my sight.....2 more LEvELs to conquer....

gupts

Thrax

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy
    Well, these 10 levels aren't enough. There is (was?) a member, who stated that he had 807 frags.
    I believe it was scentemental who had over 1000. Or am I just imagining that?

I ascended 7 levels in 5 months, lets hope I stay here, cross your fingers guys.
    Can anyone remember love? It's like trying to summon up the smell of roses in a cellar. You might see a rose, but never the perfume.
    -Arthur Miller

Thrax

Quote Originally Posted by JohnCase
    I ascended 7 levels in 5 months, lets hope I stay here, cross your fingers guys.
    I tried to quit when I had around 5 feedbacks....22 feedbacks later and I am still here.

Question Re: The 10 Levels Of Junky-ism

How bad is scent addiction you ask?

Very literally (bear with me and judge not!) sometimes I can't get out of my own house until I finally decide what scent I'm going to wear. I stop by my EDT altar - as many as a hundred times God knows - and peruse my collection (40+), in wonderment or in total dismay, until I make a choice, that is IF I can make a choice.

Remember: Commitment means no turning back!

Rationale: Sometimes nothing fits the weather, my mood, my clothing, where I'm off to, whom I'll meet, the purpose of my outing. Will they or someone else be wearing the same thing? Does my commitment have enough sillage? Can I expect to get compliments with this one? Is it original enough, new or exclusive enough, too old to be recognized, too niche to be understood? Have I put enough or not enough on? Is it appropriate for this time of year? Will someone say I've applied too much?

What an absolutely dreadful situation. And I am a total mess. Wouldn't wish a similar predicament on my worst enemy. I can turn and turn in circles, for an hour, like a chicken without a head.

Is this normal behaviour? You tell me.

Never thought I'd admit to it.

Judge me not for I am legion....Maybe it's time to come clean...

PS: An unbelievable post. Now that the floodgates are open, is it your turn...?!%?

Thrax

Quote Originally Posted by mariodefior
    How bad is scent addiction you ask?

Very literally (bear with me and judge not!) sometimes I can't get out of my own house until I finally decide what scent I'm going to wear. I stop by my EDT altar - as many as a hundred times God knows - and peruse my collection (40+), in wonderment or in total dismay, until I make a choice, that is IF I can make a choice.

Remember: Commitment means no turning back!

Rationale: Sometimes nothing fits the weather, my mood, my clothing, where I'm off to, whom I'll meet, the purpose of my outing. Will they or someone else be wearing the same thing? Does my commitment have enough sillage? Can I expect to get compliments with this one? Is it original enough, new or exclusive enough, too old to be recognized, too niche to be understood? Have I put enough or not enough on? Is it appropriate for this time of year? Will someone say I've applied too much?

What an absolutely dreadful situation. And I am a total mess. Wouldn't wish a similar predicament on my worst enemy. I can turn and turn in circles, for an hour, like a chicken without a head.

Is this normal behaviour? You tell me.

Never thought I'd admit to it.

Judge me not for I am legion....Maybe it's time to come clean...

PS: An unbelievable post. Now that the floodgates are open, is it your turn...?!%?
    Shit dude, you got it bad.

I believe i'm a level 7. But I skipped the "looking for other products" step. Unscented all the way!!
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Level 8 for sure.

And this is really sad, but somehow i think that my life will never be complete until i know what Chergui, Santal Noble, Fumerie Turque, C&S #88, and others smell like...
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Quote Originally Posted by knightowl
    Level 8 for sure.

And this is really sad, but somehow i think that my life will never be complete until i know what Chergui, Santal Noble, Fumerie Turque, C&S #88, and others smell like...
    Life won't be complete? Heck, KO, your life won't have STARTED until you try those. AND the others.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Thrax

Quote Originally Posted by DustB
    Life won't be complete? Heck, KO, your life won't have STARTED until you try those. AND the others.
    --Chris
    So so so true.

--Chris
    Thanks, DustB. I feel better now.

Might go to the library tomorrow and check out "Male prostitution for dummies."
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Thrax

Quote Originally Posted by knightowl
    Thanks, DustB. I feel better now.

Might go to the library tomorrow and check out "Male prostitution for dummies."
    See if they have 2 copies!

--Chris
    Well, having tried about 15 L'Artisan and Villoresi and CSP frags, if I should sum up my feelings just in one word, I would say: disappointment.
    Now, though I'm eager to smell the frags from the houses mentioned previously, plus Creed, so on, but no longer have the high expectations I did before. Which means, I don't think my life hasn't started before. Sorry for that, it must be my fault.

Thrax

Loads of new members, lets see what the noobs are!!

On that scale, level 4.

I don't suffer from most of those, but where does putting some spray on to go to bed count?

And how about removing the spray mechanism entirely so you can drink them faster?

I'm a level eighter, maybe eight-and-a-half.

Level 1: You have been at this site for for less than two months and have either have bought, or ordered 5 bottles.
    Level 2: You have enough bottles now that you actually have to think about what you are going to wear for the day.
    Level 3: You scorn Axe products.
    Level 4: You start picking out individual notes in scents.
    Level 5: When you are in bed, before sleep, you comtemplate what you are going to wear the next day.
    Level 6: You start looking for scents that have the bodywash, deodorant stick, and aftershave balm and/or any other products in the scents line.
    Level 7: After you have clearly picked out what you were going to wear the night before (see Level 5). You wake up and fight with yourself about what scent you will wear.
    Level 8: You walk around and smell your bottles compulsively even after JUST applying your scent of the day. Also, this may also lead to feelings of regret of what scent you put on.
    Level 9: You think the biggest perk about being a supporting member being able to start your own threads on the swap boards. (I know I do!)
    Level 10: You either own, or HAVE owned, over 100 bottles and can't keep one long enough to finish it.

Add these 3 levels somewhere in there if you want it to be even more accurate:

You can actually name production and/or discontinuation dates on fragrances from most major houses.

You have a monthly and/or annual budget set aside for your olfactory addiction.

At least one person among your family members, colleagues, and/or friends think that you are positively nuckin' FUTS.

Smile Re: The 10 Levels Of Junky-ism

Budget! What budget! I'm eatin bablownee sandwiches so I can afford more frags. Just to vary the diet there is always Kraft mac and cheese and popcorn. Gotta get the fiber.

I am powerless over frags and my life has become chaotic and I enjoy every minute of it. My name is Rick and I am a 9.

Rick

I am a 9.

I have no where near 100 bottles. I have enough to really be close to a level 10 junkie. I'll never own that many. I'm going to keep it under 30 if I can. That is my plan.

I started collecting perfume when I was 15. I am not sure which level I have reach. I have taken a stocktake recently and found that I have approximately 130 bottles (excluding the samples or tester minis). I bought 6 bottles of perfume in the last 2 months. I can't exactly pinpoint the scents or olfactory groups, but everytime I walk pass a fragrance counter, I would be gladly handing over my money to the sales person. My life will finish without the fragrances, it dictates my livelihood and keep me sane all these years.

Does spending $1000 on frags in just over a month count?
    Scents are fleeting . . . memories are not. . . .

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy View Post

You can actually name production and/or discontinuation dates on fragrances from most major houses.

At least one person among your family members, colleagues, and/or friends think that you are positively nuckin' FUTS.
    I am at level five on Thrax's list and rising! Two and a half of tvlampboy's additions apply to me also - what a great hobby!
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Thrax

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy View Post

I'll see your three levels and raise you-You know more about fragrances than any sales rep in any department store within 100 miles of you.

Eight.

What level is it when you've given up one addiction (smoking) so that you can afford this one? They say cigarettes are as addictive as heroin so what does that make fragrances?
    Another belief of mine; that everyone else my age is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise.

Margaret Atwood

What level are you if, when you think you're going to be alone for the afternoon you spray about a pint of MKK onto yourself to "get the full effect", then just after the last of 25 spritzes hits your skin, the door bell rings and it's the guy that cleans your septic tank wanting to have a consultation with you. You scream "Oh @#$!" and rush to wash the stuff off, cursing the waste but not wanting Bubba Joe to smell you in full regalia and shatter his already pitifully low opinion of you. And then you do it all over again when he's gone..
    Strictly theoretical, of course.

My name is Jon, and I'm an 8-/12.

p.s. I'm noticing that the level of addiction doesn't strictly correlate with one's post record. Some of us noobs seem to be just as cranked as you old timers.
    Last edited by Snafoo; 4th November 2007 at 03:01 AM.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

I'm quite sure I'm a late 6 but it might be progressing to level 7 of Junky-ism..
    In the sweetness of friendship let there be laughter, and sharing of pleasures. For in the dew of little things the heart finds it's morning, and is refreshed. -Kahlil Gibran

Current Favourites: Mandarine by Il Profvmo, Sculpture Homme by Nikos

Level Six Point Five here

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Somewhere between 7 and 8. Though not quite 'linear development' can be seen regarding the levels. For example I don't use high-basenotes-level deodorants, bodywash (they are too expensive for me with too little use), but used to have paperstrips on my workdesk and smell it several times a day, just to have the work done better

I'm a t level 8 and even though I've loved fragrances almost all my life I only got into them really seriously about a year ago...in that time I've purchased...about 50 bottles...and I've swapped or given away about 10 of those. So, level 10 here I come!

summer means fireflys

I'm holding steady at level 8 ... I just can't sell or swap any of my bottles, even if I don't wear them. And I'm not at 100 full size bottles ... yet
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Oh, Lord! Levels 1-6 and 10 definitely apply to me, though not 7-9. So what does that make me? I think I've probably been a 10+ in the past, but have regressed back to a 7! There is hope...

Level 7 here. Great thread to read for a Sunday morning.