Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Easy-on-the-Wallet Gems

We all know how expensive niche fragrance can be (and for that we have decants).

I would like to know what you think are some of the lower-priced, but not lower-quality, fragrances (designer, or niche, if there are any, below the $25 mark) which have a high quality-to-price ratio.

I am sure such a list would be helpful to many
    Last edited by zztopp; 12th September 2006 at 03:25 AM.
    -

nearfantastica

Default Re: Easy-on-the-Wallet Gems

As I've preached to the choir on many occasions.. Iceberg Twice is a sweet, floral slightly minty-fresh gem.. that can be attained in a 3.4oz bottle size for just over $10 USD off of some e-bay sites.. A great value for such a good fragrance..

Vicky Tiel's Ulysse, Lagerfeld Classic and Roma Uomo, Versace Black Jeans are also rather well priced quality fragrances..

a.

Blog Entries

There are many of these - as I am sure have been thoroughly discussed in other threads.

There are a few that come to mind (I will add more as they come to me):

TBS Javari - spicier, fresher scent twin to JPG Le Male.
    Fendi Uomo
    Dana English Leather - especially Musk & Spice
    Diesel Zero Plus Masculine - woodier, masculine scent alternative to Organza Indecence
    Diesel Plus Plus Masculine - great everyday scent similar to Dunhill Desire for a Man and Paloma Picasso Minotaure
    Dunhill Desire For a Man
    Jasper Conran Man
    Cerruti 1881
    Cerruti 1881 Amber
    Body Kouros
    Lanvin Oxygene

Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Post Re: Easy-on-the-Wallet Gems

Our own Michael Storer makes some very good fragrances, quality-price ratio is extraordinary. Monk in particular is excellent.
    Last edited by Johnny_Ludlow; 11th September 2006 at 02:34 PM.

Serpent

You can get a big bottle of Caron's Pour un Homme, one of the best men's scents of all time, for under $10 on eBay and some fragrance retail websites. So it's the ugly old bottle; who cares? It's the same magnificent scent. Every man should own a flacon of that marvelous blue juice, and ten bucks is a great price. You can't even get crappy Stetson scents for that...

I'll focus on the $20 & less range:

English Leather (Dana)
    Tabac Original
    Quorum
    Z-14
    Royal Copenhagen
    Monsieur Musk

I just got Adidas Classic and it gets better every time I wear it but it isn't going to wow anyone. I like Old Spice in low doses. My wife inexplicably likes Grey Flannel on me, although I'm nyeah about it. This is pretty inexpensve in the US at least.

You might get a kick out of Z-14. Quorum is always an iffy proposition; either mind blowing or sinus blowing.
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

Great list so far guys. Keep 'em coming.

I would like to add a fave of mine - Guerlains Vetiver 3.4 Oz. for less than $25. Excellent vetiver for the buck.
    -

Blog Entries

In terms of MASS market (aka supermarket/drug store scents), I'd go for the original Curve, Lucky You, Tommy, & even Adidas Moves.

Moving up a notch, there are TONS that are great, like Burberry Brit, Clinique Happy, Kenneth Cole Reaction, CK one and be, etc.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Hi ZZ,

Heck, there are PLENTY of wonderful fragrances that one can acquired at decent prices! In fact, I have been making a list (and checking it twice) since I just can't at this time afford to buying NICHE fragrances at $100.00 (or more) a bottle. In addition to the aforementioned fragrances, I would consider the following to be (more or less) great bargin fragrances :

GENTLEMAN
    BEL AMI
    BULGARI BLACK
    GUERLAIN VETIVER
    PACO RABANNE
    YATAGAN
    ZIZANIE
    KOUROS
    KINGDOM
    BANDIT
    HABIT ROUGE
    HERITAGE
    VC&A
    TSAR
    DOLCE AND GABANNA
    FRAGONARD
    MOLINARD

I believe some of the BEST bargins can be BANDIT, YATAGAN, HERITAGE and GENTLEMAN. I hope this helps.

Regards,
    SixCats!

I have to sing praises of Bogart's One Man Show. 100mls for US$10.

SixCats! beat me to mentioning Molinard.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

I think terms need to be defined -- are we talking retail prices or what can be had as a tester on ebay? If the latter, Bvlgari PH for about $20 for the big size is a great value. On the other hand somebody mentioned Burberry Brit as a bargain. I wouldn't consider $35 on the budget internet sites as such a bargain -- using this criteria would probably capture the majority of the designer market. A bargain to me is under $20, although of course that's subjective.

Using my criteria, let me second the Iceberg Twice recommendation. Far and away the best price to value out there IMHO. Great as a frag., great bottle, quality packaging --- all for about $12 for the big size in retail box. It's fairly unique as well. The other great one to me has also been mentioned (though with faint praise): Grey Flannel. This is one of my all time favorites even disregarding price. It's funny, around BN this one gets panned alot while its considered a real star elsewhere, particularly when discussed by woman. To me, its a super green fresh frag. with good longevity and is equally suited to the office or a night on the town. I'd give this one a shot if you haven't already.

I also like Javari, which was described above perfectly.

If your a bay rum fan, check out the Domenica line. Very nice stuff at a fair price.

Sears.com is selling a 1.7oz Burberrry Brit set with a poker set for $22.50.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...seBVCookie=Yes

Jacomo de Jacomo

I second Iceberg Twice, Lagerfeld Classic, Black Jeans, Tabac Original, Z-14

and would add:

Carven Homme
    Carrara - Muelhens
    Dunhill Edition
    and I bought my DK Black Cashmere for a little over $20.

edit: also Halston 1-12--better than Z-14

All these are great cheapies!

You can get new 1.7oz Diptyque bottles on-line for average $60.00 . I know that the price is on the edge, but quality products nonetheless.

Philosykos is a great fresh fig scent. Also, I haven't personally tried it yet, but Tam Dao is another Diptyque product that is reputed to be excellent.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SixCats
    BULGARI BLACK
    Of course!!! How the heck did I miss this one? This is one of my favorites and can often be found for under $20 for 2.5oz on ebay...from actual reputable sellers . Great call, SixCats!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CologneJunkie
    Of course!!! How the heck did I miss this one? This is one of my favorites and can often be found for under $20 for 2.5oz on ebay...from actual reputable sellers . Great call, SixCats!!!
    Yes, Black and Acqua can both be had for less than $22 ... great value!
    -

I like the Crabtree and Evelyn scents, especially Sienna and Sandlewood...retail is usually $40 or $45...

Serpent

Quote Originally Posted by Motecuzoma
    You can get new 1.7oz Diptyque bottles on-line for average $60.00 . I know that the price is on the edge, but quality products nonetheless.
    I think the brief is somewhat confused. I'd never consider a $60 bottle of anything "easy-on-the-wallet." Of course, my last name is not Hilton; if it were, I'm sure things ten times that price range would qualify. The fact is, almost all designer scents are available in at least the 1.7 oz. below $60. So with designer scents, it's just a question of what is good, and with artisanal scents, it becomes a question of where can one find the good ones on sale.

I think the price point should be lowered, and the criterion should be consistency of pricing. Scents that are below, say, twenty dollars and very widely available at that price point or lower. At sixty bucks, one could throw M7, Angel Men, or Pour Monsier Concentrée on this list - at full retail.
    Last edited by Serpent; 12th September 2006 at 03:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Serpent
    I think the brief is somewhat confused. I'd never consider a $60 bottle of anything "easy-on-the-wallet." Of course, my last name is not Hilton; if it were, I'm sure things ten times that price range would qualify. The fact is, almost all designer scents are available in at least the 1.7 oz. below $60. So with designer scents, it's just a question of what is good, and with artisanal scents, it becomes a question of where can one find the good ones on sale.

I think the price point should be lowered, and the criterion should be consistency of pricing. Scents that are below, say, twenty dollars and very widely available at that price point or lower. At sixty bucks, one could through M7, Angel Men, or Pour Monsier Concentrée on this list - at full retail.
    Yes I agree. $60 is a bit much .. $25 or less (or maybe even $30) would be better.
    -

I think the price point should be lowered, and the criterion should be consistency of pricing. Scents that are below, say, twenty dollars and very widely available at that price point or lower. At sixty bucks, one could through M7, Angel Men, or Pour Monsier Concentrée on this list - at full retail.
    Wait a minute, does that mean my newly purchased Frederic Malle Decant at $60 doesn't qualify??!!

TNMA

Kidding.
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Serpent

Quote Originally Posted by thenmarcher
    Wait a minute, does that mean my newly purchased Frederic Malle Decant at $60 doesn't qualify??!!
    Only if my $35 eBay steal of No. 5 parfum does...

What, Serpent, does "I think the brief is somewhat confused" mean?

As stated in my post, the $60 was on the edge of the price "limit" that was set before the original post was edited. Now, to my surprise it says $25 rather than $60; which was the original roof.

In regards to the Diptyque family and its classification as designer or niche the answer is technically designer, I suppose. But, for many in the States and in general for that matter, Diptyque fragrances are from a much more esoteric and unique blend than compared to, oh say, Calvin Klein or Polo or Armani or Davidoff. Therefore, a $60 price tag (or less) for a 1.7oz bottle would be a better value and personalized choice for a given patron interested in experiencing a "border-line designer," if you will. Sure, not as cheap as a $15 bottle of Vagina Box, but not nearly as prevalent either.

Regardless, now that the limit has been lowered to $25 this point is moot.

Gucci Envy for men 3.4 oz spray TESTER by Gucci

YOUR PRICE: $24.99
    Scents are fleeting . . . memories are not. . . .

Serpent

Quote Originally Posted by Motecuzoma
    What, Serpent, does "I think the brief is somewhat confused" mean?
    It means that the original asked for cheap gems, but $60 is not exactly "cheap" for a lot of fragrances, and, for the reasons I detailed, made the thread pretty much moot as almost anything designer fits in under $60 while some artisanal scents go on sale for that.

Now, to my surprise it says $25 rather than $60; which was the original roof.
    And this is good. This is a price that's very easy on the wallet.

In regards to the Diptyque family and its classification as designer or niche the answer is technically designer, I suppose.
    No, Diptyque is artisanal. They have no fashion line, limited distribution, and scents with limited mass appeal. Diptyque is not mainstream.

Therefore, a $60 price tag (or less) for a 1.7oz bottle would be a better value and personalized choice for a given patron interested in experiencing a "border-line designer," if you will.
    It's only a value if someone actually likes Diptyque. It's still not a purchase one would make lightly, without knowing what the scent smells like. A $10 or $20 scent, though, is. They're two entirely different leagues.

Sure, not as cheap as a $15 bottle of Vagina Box, but not nearly as prevalent either.
    Actually, Kingdom has been pulled from America, so Diptyque is actually more common in retail outlets than McQueen.

i second the recommendation of carons pour un homme...

and also givenchy gentleman can be had easy on the pockets too...

Iceberg Twice, M7 and Rive Gauch have got to be the best bargain-basement deals ever.

I'd second the sentiment that Bulgari Aqua and Black (both pretty easily findable in the mid $20s) are definetly gems in the lower price category.

If you keep your eyes open, you can usually nab discounted Kenzo frags (original packaging, not tester) for $20-25 pretty easy, even in traditional retail channels. L'eau par Kenzo seems to get discounted more often than Kenzo Pour Homme, but both are pretty solid frags.

Also, for $25 you could pretty easily get 2 10ml decants + shipping from Basenotes. Sure, you don't get as much "juice" as a full bottle of anything, but it would allow you to economically try out a number of options, then you only need to buy the few fragrances you know you love and will wear quite frequently.

Alain Delon - Samurai

Very nice Fresh scent. Unique and long lasting. This one can be had for $10-$20
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    WANTED buy/swap: Creed "Acier Aluminum" , L'Occitane "Eav des Bavx", Comme Des Garcons stuff especially "Dry Clean"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Current Top 10: TM Cologne, Mark Birley, Dzing, Vetiver Extraordinaire, Geir, Divine's "L'Homme de Coeur", Penhaligons 'Endymion",
    Creed Original Vetiver, Diptique Tam Dao, Hugo Boss "Spirit"

If anyone can steer me to decent low prices on Givenchy Gentleman and Armani Code/Black Code, that would be great

Sam

Any one up for some 4711 ?
    -

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by finsfan
    If anyone can steer me to decent low prices on Givenchy Gentleman and Armani Code/Black Code, that would be great

Sam
    I actually saw Code at MARSHALL'S last night!!! It was still pretty pricey at $35, but it's better than paying retail.

Our Marshalls and TJ Maxx's never have the good stuff, just older stuff.

Do Marshalls and TJ Maxx carry YSL fragrances like M7 et al for less than $20? If so, I would love to get a big bottle of M7 !
    -

I've seen Magnetism at TJMaxx for 20. A steal.

You could also get Givenchy PI for probably around 20 on EBay. I think you can get Hermes Eau D'Orange Vert and Equipage for 30 or under.

All are fantastic fragrances IMHO.

This has got to be the tenth time I'm saying this, but....

Azzaro Visit at TJ Maxx is $15 - Well worth it!
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Quote Originally Posted by perfectfeet
    This has got to be the tenth time I'm saying this, but....

Azzaro Visit at TJ Maxx is $15 - Well worth it!

Cant argue with that - i like the scent, and for $15 its too good to pass up !
    -

My local TJ Maxx REALLY SUCKS. Every time i go there, all they have is a couple of open bottles of cologne with the sprayer missing and nasty, sticky finger prints on them. Yuk.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Crabtree & Evelyn's new "Naturals" unisex body sprays, 3.4 oz 100 ml $20 each.

Black Tea, Vetiver & Sugarcane
    White Tea & Birch
    Olive, Almond & Myrtle
    Pink Grapefruit & Cucumber

and a special, buy one Verbena & Sage and get one free Clementine & Basil ($10 each)

C&E Women's Hydrating Body Mists 3.4 oz 100 ml

Savannah Gardens Hydrating Body Mist $10
    Spring Rain Hydrating Body Mist $10
    Swiss Skin Care Eau Fraiche (with chamomile blossom) $14

Pre de Provence EDT's $11-$14 (Cherrylanekeepsakes.com gives free shipping over $30 plus)

Orange Flower
    Sage
    Verbena
    Lavender
    Figue
    Apricot
    La Mer
    Provence
    Soleil

Bath and Body Works EDT's $18.50 each, buy three get one free

Sensual Amber
    Exotic Coconut
    Mango Mandarin
    Coconut Lime Verbena
    Brown Sugar & Fig
    Tropical Passionfruit
    Black Raspberry Vanilla
    Magnolia Blossom
    Cherry Blossom
    Japanese Cherry Blossom
    White Cherry Blossom
    Gardenia

Don't poo poo the B&BW until you read the notes, I thought some of them were every bit as good as some of the more expensive artisan fragrances I tried. They're better than they used to be, anyway! Pre de Provence has my favorite orange blossom and C&E's new Naturals line is nice, too! So are the body creams they just put out to go with them, although they are not matching scents.

Guerlain Imperiale can be had for around $25, more or less, on imaginationperfumery, scentiments and perfumebay. Meteorites for about $14 and Champs Elysees is also cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by beachroses
    Crabtree & Evelyn's new "Naturals" unisex body sprays, 3.4 oz 100 ml $20 each.

Black Tea, Vetiver & Sugarcane
    White Tea & Birch
    Olive, Almond & Myrtle
    Pink Grapefruit & Cucumber

and a special, buy one Verbena & Sage and get one free Clementine & Basil ($10 each)

C&E Women's Hydrating Body Mists 3.4 oz 100 ml

Savannah Gardens Hydrating Body Mist $10
    Spring Rain Hydrating Body Mist $10
    Swiss Skin Care Eau Fraiche (with chamomile blossom) $14

Pre de Provence EDT's $11-$14 (Cherrylanekeepsakes.com gives free shipping over $30 plus)

Orange Flower
    Sage
    Verbena
    Lavender
    Figue
    Apricot
    La Mer
    Provence
    Soleil

Bath and Body Works EDT's $18.50 each, buy three get one free

Sensual Amber
    Exotic Coconut
    Mango Mandarin
    Coconut Lime Verbena
    Brown Sugar & Fig
    Tropical Passionfruit
    Black Raspberry Vanilla
    Magnolia Blossom
    Cherry Blossom
    Japanese Cherry Blossom
    White Cherry Blossom
    Gardenia

Don't poo poo the B&BW until you read the notes, I thought some of them were every bit as good as some of the more expensive artisan fragrances I tried. They're better than they used to be, anyway! Pre de Provence has my favorite orange blossom and C&E's new Naturals line is nice, too! So are the body creams they just put out to go with them, although they are not matching scents.

Guerlain Imperiale can be had for around $25, more or less, on imaginationperfumery, scentiments and perfumebay. Meteorites for about $14 and Champs Elysees is also cheap.
    Great! I havent tried any of these !
    -

Serpent

Quote Originally Posted by beachroses
    Coriolan is usually really cheap, too. Now it averages about $20 for a 3.4 oz., but not too long ago, you could get the new bottles, boxed, for around $10 on eBay. I paid $9.99 for mine, Buy It Now. On the YSL front, Live Jazz and YSL pour Homme are regularly available for under $20, too.

I should clarify that Meteorites and Champs Elysees by Guerlain are for women.

I love the Guerlains for men and Zizanie by Fragonard, that someone mentioned on here, has always been one of my favorites! I bought that for an old boyfriend years ago and I think he has worn it ever since.

Another enthusiastic vote here for Iceberg Twice. I love it and will never be without a bottle.

KO

Thrax

Quote Originally Posted by knightowl
    Another enthusiastic vote here for Iceberg Twice. I love it and will never be without a bottle.

KO
    Have a bottle of this coming to me and I await it impatiently.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrax
    Have a bottle of this coming to me and I await it impatiently.
    Thrax, you're in for a treat, i promise. It's very sweet but not cloying and sirupy, more like a fresh, minty sweetness. And it's very complex for being inexpensive. One of my top complement-getters at work.

Cuba fragrances are very good. I have a bottle of Gold, which I got from the mall for $10 but I saw them on www.scentiments.com for $3.18.
    Current faves: CdG White, Amouage Dia, Millesime Imperial, Miller Harris Terre de Bois

I also have Vicky Thiel Ulysse, and I do not know what to think about it. I like the drydown, which seems to me to be mostly vanilla. However, the initial blast reminds me of Midori melon liqueur, which I do not like.

I second Guerlain Coriolan. After trying Coriolan, I fell in love with the House of Guerlain.

The whole range of Perfumer's Workshop Samba is worth trying.

Cofinluxe Cafe Cafe is fresh but also musky-sweet.

Fred Hayman 273 Rodeo Drive is a powerful, spicy wood.

For less then $9 the 100ml cuba gold is definitely a steal .
    Last edited by superfly; 20th October 2007 at 07:52 PM.

Pierre Cardin PH definitely fits the bill

Body Shop: Of A Man 100ml ------ clean simple fresh not sharp citrus/summer scent. Highly affordable for a 100ml bottle.

Tabac Original (You can't go wrong here.)
    Carven Homme
    Escada pour Homme
    Touch for Men by Fred Hayman (Warm and powdery -- very sexy.)
    Burberry Touch (Even cheaper if you buy a tester!)
    Paco Rabanne XS
    Ralph Lauren Polo
    Ralph Lauren Chaps
    Baldessarini
    Chevignon pour Homme
    R de Capucci
    Bogart pour Homme (My most recent "find." YUM!)
    Caron pour un Homme
    Yatagan
    Zino Davidoff
    Canoe
    The Dreamer
    Versace L'Homme
    FCUK Him
    Héritage (Esp. if picked up in tester form on eBay.)
    Lagerfeld Classic
    Lagerfeld Photo (Talk about LONGEVITY!)
    Séxual pour Homme by Michel Germain
    Witness
    Catalyst for Men
    Iceberg Twice
    Z-14
    1-12
    That Man by Revlon (Discontinued and a little hard to find, but seldom really expensive. Try eBay.)
    Old Spice
    Jovan Musk for Men (Although the old stuff is better.)
    Royal Copenhagen (A little strong for some folks' tastes, but I like it.)
    Royal Copenhagen Musk
    Pierre Cardin (Nice use of carnation.)
    Essentially anything for men by Molinard (Am dying to try Madrigal, btw.)
    Habanita by Molinard (Yes, men, you can pull it off.)
    Monsieur Musk (Sex in a bottle, and for pennies.)
    Kouros
    Body Kouros
    M7 (small tester for around $20 sometimes)
    Anything by Clive Christian (JUST KIDDING!)
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 18th October 2007 at 04:14 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

A 1.0oz of Zino Davidoff can be picked up online for around $10. This is really one of my favorites; classy, different, and perfect for evenings and cold weather.

Another gem would be Sir hirch_duckfinder's R de Capucci. This can be found online for around $15.

Now for the really cheap stuff, I would recommend Canoe. If you are fond of powdery, barbershop scents, this one can be found for $6. Perfect after a hot shower and shave. Good times.

Am I the only one to mention B*MEN can be found at TJMaxx, 1.7 for $25 or less? In the same TJMaxx, I saw, but did not buy as I already had some, Bulgari Aqua. That is, simply amazing. Almost unfair. Those two are too GOOD to be sold at those prices but I'm not complaining.

A SIDE NOTE: I used to pass up less expensive fragrances, but we are living it, live, in the moment: We are seeing GREAT fragrances go on sale... so... no longer will I judge based on price!

I don't know if Gordman's is only in Kansas City or not but they usually have some decent bargains.
    I have read in Plato and Cicero sayings that are wise and very beautiful; but I have never read in either of them: Come unto me all ye that labor and are heavy laden.'' --Saint Augustine

“Hastiness and superficiality are the psychic diseases of the twentieth century, and more than anywhere else this disease is reflected in the press.”--Alexander Solzhenitsyn

We have Gordman's here, too. Yes, they often have good buys there, you're right.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 18th October 2007 at 04:01 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

My Bargain Basement Gem List

And I'm seconding many of the ones on the list already. Here are mine in no particular order...all are wonderful to me, and most I have found for well under $20 (testers wherever possible), some for well under $10.

Javari (The Body Shop)--lasts better than Le Male on me.
    Unbound for Men (Halston)
    Stetson Black (I love this stuff and it's cheap enough to keep an extra bottle around to compensate for its poor longevity)
    Cafe Cafe and Cafe Iced (Cofinluxe: They have some genuinely wonderful fragrances for dirt cheap)
    Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur (Old but still wonderful)
    Tabac Original
    Pino Silvestre (Sample before you buy....I love it but it seems to remind many people of spaghetti sauce)
    Quorum by Puig (in your face strong stuff but I love it)
    Perry Ellis America (my other half is a Tommy fan, and this made him VERY happy)
    Cuba Gold
    Canoe by Dana (one of the first mass marketed men's fragrances and has a wonderful vanilla accord)
    Preferred Stock by Coty (After it dries down, it's delightful, and I got my last bottle for about three bucks)
    New Musk for Men (Prince Matchiabelli) I'm not a clean musk fan, but I get more compliments from this one than most.
    Jovan Ginseng NRG--This one is nice and lasts forever.
    Discount and drug store fragrance trollop. http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=74

Some of my cheaper favs:

Halston 1-12 (more difficult to find these days than Z-14 but still a steal at $9)

Boss Baldessarini - I hear this was at one time "expensive" but can be had for cheap these days if you look for it. I paid $19 for a 3.4oz gift set with aftershave

Lucky #6 - CVS pharmacy sells this in a 1oz size for around $15 Great dark boozy plum scent

for an actual bottle, i have roger and gallet por homme. it is a heavy smokey scent. if you want niche scents but can't afford a whole bottle, or just wish to sample the wonders of fragrance, go to the perfume court. if you can think i it, they have it and will decant the scents for you in several sizes. it is wonderful!

Marshalls, TJ and Filene's basement usually beef up their offerings for the holiday rush.
    Last year it was a Gucci/YSL smorgasbord November thru December. Followed by, "take another 50% off" January.