Code of Conduct

Default What are you sampling? Any successes? Disasters?

So what are you all sampling? Did you find anything you love? Still looking? Any disasters? Let's hear your stories!

I did find one I really like: Eau des Merveilles by Hermes, especially when I first put it on, then it dries down to a woodier/muskier scent that still smells good, but the top notes are what really turn me on and I was disappointed to see they were so fleeting on me. Maybe it's because I have dry skin. If they lasted longer, I would spring for a full bottle in a minute. Since they don't, I guess I won't.

I also liked Miss Dior Cherie, at first. Those strawberry notes blended with patchouli were beautiful, but on the drydown, the patchouli seemed harsh and since I'm not a huge patchouli fan, to begin with, it's not for me.

Serpentine by Robert Cavalli was much anticipated, because of the mango note, and though it was nice, nothing really knocked me out enough about it to buy.

I suspect the sample of My Couture by Givenchy was old, since it was discontinued a few years ago, and it STUNK THE PLACED UP!!! OMG, I thought I was going to be sick. Scrub, scrub, scrub... still looking.

Anyone else?

Default Re: What are you sampling? Any successes? Disasters?

My recent samples are of Burberry London and Delice de Cartier. I like London okay. It is sweet and pretty, but it smells too much like something for older women to me.
    The Cartier one I really really liked at first. It is very sweet, so you have to like sweet fragrances. I wore it on my wrist/forearm and the smell that wafted towards my face was nice and sweet. But the strangest thing is that if I put my nose right to my wrist and smell it, it almost takes on the smell of a tire shop! I don't know what it is! From farther away, I love it, up close, not good. I could never put it on my neck. Very strange. I sooo wanted to love it!

A tire shop? I was just in one of those last week, I don't think I would want to smell like that! I saw Cartier Delices online and it looked so nice, especially the bottle. Sorry it didn't work out for you. I have been looking for a sample of Cartier's Panthere Eau Legere, but can't find one and no one sells it around here. Now that fall is here, I'm over looking for citruses for a while, anway. I have several.

Don't know how I could have forgotten my biggest success of late, a decant purchase of Apres L'Ondee by Guerlain. I have searched for a beautiful violet scent I can actually wear and found it. Since it's about $100 a bottle and rare in the US, I'll make do with this smaller size and enjoy it on occasion. It's not really something I would wear every day, but so nice to have. She was a good Ebay seller, too. I'm glad I got this one.

If you like sweeter fragrances, maybe you would like one of the Burberry Brits or Hanae Mori Butterfly?

I COMPLETELY agree with both of the statements you made Starskyee! London smelled like a Grandmother's version of Curious by Britney Spears and the Cartier was deeelish until I sniffed it closely. We must have similar noses. =)
    Last edited by sabregoddess; 12th September 2006 at 01:26 AM.

was surprised with Britney's Curious and it lasts longer on me than Diorissimo.

but i think i am more in love with the latter.
    "Where should one use perfume?" a young woman asked. "Wherever one wants to be kissed," I said. - Coco Chanel

Blog Entries

Great idea for a thread! I recently sampled Armani Mania for men. I loved the top notes, but the great smell only lasted like 5-10 minutes before the frag COMPLETELY disappeared. I kept dousing myself w/ the sample I brought w/ me because I was out @ a bar, but it would disappear completely. Oh well.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

I'm new to this whole personal fragrance thing myself and decided that this year would be my "Summer of Samples." So far I'm at 102 samples. Any disasters, you ask? By the time I got to number 50, I forgot what I thought of the first 20. Oh, well. A sample a day; that's all we ask.

Did you find any you like in that bunch, Beowulf?

I sampled another unisex scent today, Arancia Blu Mediterraneo by Acqua di Parma. All and all, it is a bit too unisexy for me. I don't know why I keep doing that, I haven't really liked any unisex scent I've tried on its own, but I'm looking for something with oranges.

[QUOTE=beachroses]Did you find any you like in that bunch, Beowulf?

Of the 102, ~39 are on my "willing to own" list; ~33 are on my "rather save my money" list; and the remainder on the "yet to be tried" list.

My S[ample]OTD is Sage Machado Amber. I find I like ambergis and this has it in spades. And being a perfume oil, it has incredible longevity and projection. Living in the desert southwest, I find most fragrances fade quickly in the single-digit humidity.

in the past week or so (only counting sample vials, even though i have a lot of decants also...):

yuck: bellagio, endymion, agatha brown (jade and conquest), lomax

yum: SMN eva, peau d'espagna; gendarme v

undecided: SMN cuba

baald

I've tried Marc Jacobs for Men... on my skin, it was really lovely, a nice, cool powdery scent, not too sweet. It wasn't "feminine" at all, but it didn't come on too heavy with the macho, either. I'd gladly wear it myself, and I think I'd like it even better on a guy.

I also tried Insolence, and was disappointed. It did nothing, in my opinion, to separate itself from all of the other candy-sweet girly things that are out there (Pink Sugar, Vera Wang's "Princess," Britney, J.Lo, etcetera). And, since I already have two candy-sweet girly scents that I quite like, Insolence just wasn't bottle-worthy for me.

Recently sampled Narciso Rodriguez for Her EdT and Estee Lauder Youth Dew Amber Nude, Prada Man and nine of the perfume oils Jalaine offers.

I was so excited to receive my sample of Love in White by Creed, because it has many of the notes I've been searching for. So even though every other Creed I tried dried down horribly on my skin, I went for it in the hopes this would be different. At first, I loved the smell but thought it too heavy on the vanilla (I imagine they threw in a couple of extra gallons of this, since the fragrance was to be launched in the US, aimed at the younger crowd) then it became that same wierd "off scent" on me that the other Creeds did. Oh well, it certainly did smell nice at first, except for that. Next...

Beowulf, I used to live in the high desert and found I could wear stronger scents than I can now, living in a warm, humid climate by the ocean.

I've sampled lots this week, but most notably Hermes Elixir des Merveilles, which is richer than the Eau des Merveilles and has the most stunning burnt toast topnote which I adore. That doesn't last sadly, but it does fade to a lovely warm comforting scent and I'm going to pick up a bottle cheap when I can- and I will be able to, as it's quite mainstream. I almost never go for mainstream scents.

I've also tested Annick Goutal's Mandragore. YUCK! I hated it. So harsh and masculine. And of course, that meant it lasts forever. I don't like the AG bottles either, too fussy. Not a perfume house that appeals to me much, it transpires. Although Songes is quite nice.

Quote Originally Posted by beachroses
    Beowulf, I used to live in the high desert and found I could wear stronger scents than I can now, living in a warm, humid climate by the ocean.
    I know what you mean, beachroses. I split my time between Phoenix and LA (South Bay). When I first joined this group I started a thread about the quality of sample vials which tend to be rather exposed. I found most of the samples I was trying simply evaporated within a couple of hours and thought it might be degraded product (light exposure). Some helpful soul mentioned that it might be climate-driven (dry vs. humid), so I experimented between locations (coast and desert; I was trying all my samples in the desert). Sure enough, I found I could use a fraction of a vial on the coast and get much better longevity and projection than when I used a full vial of the same label in the desert.

BTW, in keeping with topic of the thread, today's sample is Amir by Laura Tonatto. Mongo like. Only about 20 more to go. "A sample a day; that's all we ask."

Got some decants today. Jo Malone's Nectarine Blossom and Honey- far too "laundryfresh" and fruity for me. Objectively a nice scent but it hasn't any richness. And it seems to be lasting forever! I can't wash it off. Also Fresh's Cannabis Santal- very nice, but it's Gucci Pour Homme without the depth, basically. Still, I will use it up. And lastly Bond No. 9's Fire Island. Not sure about this one. I don't get "suntan oil".

Just got onto this thread and LOVE it! Got some great ideas and (as always) more knowledge.

From samples of Costes and Garcon Manque have ordered decants of both but since I didn't keep notes I can't remember why I liked them so much!

It's so wonderful to have access to all these resources!:bounce:

Live at the beach like Beachroses (although probably not the same beach) and am RULLY interested in what BR has to say.

Also, I find that frags that worked well on me when I was younger (and drier?) don't always now. Interesting.
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Lots of samples lately, love it! I'm really enjoying Keiko Mecheri's Osmanthus, and I don't usually go for florals. I also love Serge Lutens' Datura Noir and Gris Clair. Some disappointments-- L by Lolita Lempicka- smells like burnt caramels on me. Kenzo Amour, way too blandoid and little synthetic. Serge Lutens Miel du Bois was spectacularly stinky on me, my whole family went "Yuck!" so that was a new experience. Nina was just a synthetic fruity floral, yeesh... Sampling's a lot of fun, though, I learn so much!

Quote Originally Posted by beachroses
    If you like sweeter fragrances, maybe you would like one of the Burberry Brits or Hanae Mori Butterfly?

I absolutely ADORE the Brit Gold an Brit Red. But not the original Brit. And of course, the Gold and Red are no longer available! I do own Hanae Mori, and I used to realllly love it, but to tell you the truth, I did end up tiring of it after awhile. But....if you really like Hanae Mori butterfly, you have to check out this perfume called Ragdoll, sold at the Hot Topic stores. It is soooooo similar to Hanae Mori, it's crazy! I put the both on and it was amazing. I can tell the difference because I've worn the butterfly for so long, but I've fooled many other people with it!