Code of Conduct

Default Compare&Contrast: Envy, Floris Santal, Jaipur

I have been told these scents are similar. My reference point is Envy, which I have smelled many times. I enjoy the smoothness in Envy, but the woodsy note slightly puts me off. Also, it is a frag worn ALWAYS by a good friend of mine (no matter how many times I tell him to check out basenotes!) and I'd rather not smell the same as him if I can so help it.

Anyways, I am very curious about Floris Santal and Jaipur. Perhaps you could compare and contrast them for me?

Much appreciated

Thrax

Default Re: Compare&Contrast: Envy, Floris Santal, Jaipur

Jaipur is a smooth powdery vanilla with a bit cinnamon and, nutmeg perhaps. I'd gladly hook you up with a decant if you desire. Just PM me.

I have a feeling many would disagree. And I do not think Envy and Santal are brothers. More like kissing cousins. Initially they are pretty different but the drydown is noticeably similar to me with the Santal being the lighter and more easygoing of the two.

Well, I think Envy is very similar to Jaipur, but there's a slight difference between them: gucci has a proeminent ginger note while jaipur carries a lot of cinnamon and some floral notes you don't smell in Envy. But both have a sweet drydown.

Recently got Jaipur EDP and I can't see (smell) any connection with Envy whatsoever (which I love and wear often). First impression of Jaipur is that it smells VERY feminine, sweet and "waxy". Reminds me a bit of Opium for men which also smells very feminine to me. Like something suitable for a distinguished older (50+) lady. I'm not sure I'll ever wear Jaipur after that first impression.
    Last edited by keylogic; 12th September 2006 at 07:11 PM.

I just purchased 2 bottles of Floris Santal from Floris, and originally owned Envy - so it was time to do a wrist-to-wrist comparison:

Top notes were very similar, hard to tell the difference

Middle/Base Notes: Envy seems to stay more similar throughout the course of its run, and I sense that Floris changes a bit more over time (loses more of it's spicyness more quickly than Envy).

Have tried Jaipur, and have to agree that it's a bit "sweet" relative to your average men's scent.
    Scents are fleeting . . . memories are not. . . .

Zeram1, how did you find their longevity side by side? How about sillage/projection? Does the Floris wear close to the skin?

I only sprayed them on my wrists last night, so that was my direct comarison of only the notes.

As for other aspects, I wore my "standard" amount (2 chest sprays) of the Floris today, and I would have to say that Envy has more sillage/longevity, but that does not take into account of it's more linear characteristic.

I was a bit too busy to really appreciate the changing notes of Floris today, perhaps in the near future I'll use it when I can pay attention to it. I'd do it tomorrow for you, but I just bought the huge bottle of Dior's Bois D'Argent this past Saturday, and just received 2 Falcons of Creed's BdP in the mail today - I'm way backed up on my scents, and that doesn't include the 17 or so Montale's samples that I also received in the past few weeks!

Santal and Envy are profoundly similar. Santal is richer but not quite as loud. Santal's black pepper and higher concentration of oakmoss make it more compelling to me. Whereas Envy seems more appropriate for younger men, Santal comes off as a bit more sophisticated IMO.

Santal and Envy are excellent, but Jaipur Homme has its own distinct character. It smells significantly different than the other two. Jaipur Homme is one of the finest creations there is. It is relatively perfect. I prefer the EDP which is basically the same thing as the EDT but richer and longer lasting. It definitely isn't feminine, even if you lack confidence.

I'm sure Envy and Jaipur Homme would be adequately satisfying for you, but perhaps you should try Body Kouros as well. It was made by the same perfumer who created Jaipur Homme. It also seems to be more appealing to the younger crowd.
    Last edited by pluran; 13th September 2006 at 03:33 AM.

I really like the Jaipur EDP, and find that its a heavy fragrance for me to wear, 2 sprays normally cover me for the day. I don't notice it being quite as feminine as you stated, however I can see some viewing it as such. I'm 25, and feel comfortable wearing it, but also note that its more of a "mature fragrance," IMO.

LushLife, I just pm'd you.