Code of Conduct

Thread: L'air de rien

Default L'air de rien

Received a sample of this in the post this morning and the jury's definitely out. I'm not normally a fan of MH fragrances, but I really, really wanted to loved this because of Jane Birkin's involvement. Sadly,at first sniff this was absolutely vile. V. v. fecal. And then! As it softens, it becomes highly reminiscent of Jicky. And then it grows softer and softer to something quite lovely- between Jicky and L'artisan's ambre extreme. Definitely need to try spraying before buying. Has anyone else managed to try this yet?

Serpent

Default Re: L'air de rien

Who or what is "MH"?

Quote Originally Posted by Serpent
    Who or what is "MH"?
    I guess that's Miller Harris. There was an article about L'Air de Rien (eh...?) in British Vogue last week.

Quote Originally Posted by Serpent
    Who or what is "MH"?
    Miller Harris. Somehow I cannot associate them with Jane Birkin. Helena Bohnam Carter, yes...Kylie Minouge yes... I got an e-mail from them about this release, first thing I heard since my fruitless attemt to make them send me some samples more than 6 months ago. I guess that´s where they got my adress...
    Last edited by vinterdroppe; 12th September 2006 at 08:05 PM.

Hi,
    When I saw your post, I thought you were making a good joke, as you most likely know that it means Air of Nothing.

Forgive me, but I'm much more skeptical about how much famous people really get involved with making a scent. I'm sure they solicited Jane's thoughts about what she does, likes to smell, and so on, but in the end the list of components of the scent are totally normal.

I'm guessing that a good perfumer could make just as good a scent as this one after talking to you about your life.

I suppose the only way to test this would be to see if people would still like it if they had no idea whose name was on it. The odds of people being able to pull a celebrity's name out of the air must be close to zero. The power of association and advertising are very strong, indeed.

Then again, maybe I'm wrong, and this will be a unique, good fragrance. In any case, it's a great name.

Exclamation Re: L'air de rien

I am surprised to see that you did not like it, however it does have an element of what Jane Birking actually likes to wear herself ( the references you make point to such a direction).
    The name is both tongue in cheek and valid at the same time (it's supposedly a skin-scent, something to smell when cuddling, not an in-your-face frag; at least from what they have been telling us, I haven't smelled it)

This is the info I know of and it seems that she did get involved in the creation, sketching for the bottle even:
    http://p075.ezboard.com/fperfumeisle...icID=982.topic

I have a suspicion that fecal as you say comes from good quality jasmine redered by enfleurage (it does give an "indolic" quality)? Or some civet tincture? I know Miller Harris uses good ingredients.

Eager to learn more and hear opinions on this one.

This perfume is really growing on me more and more. Like I said, I've not been all that keen on other MH releases, but that's precisely because I've always found them too overpowering. L'air de rien is definitely subtle, but in no way light. That is MH's strong point I think - they do have great lasting power.

By the way, in French he name, L'air de rien, also suggests a certain carefree manner and free spiritedness, so has a double meaning really and doesn't just refer to the subtlety of the perfume. It's probably also a reference to the life Jane Birkin has lead.

Cool Re: L'air de rien

Quote Originally Posted by annickaddict
    By the way, in French he name, L'air de rien, also suggests a certain carefree manner and free spiritedness, so has a double meaning really and doesn't just refer to the subtlety of the perfume. It's probably also a reference to the life Jane Birkin has lead.
    That's a good point regarding her life. Indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by annickaddict
    I couldn 't agree more and it 's so much what Jane Birkin is all about!
    I can 't wait to get my 'L 'Air de Rien' perfume, also I m not surprised it dries down to something close to Jicky since she 's always been wearing it.