Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 58 of 58
  1. #1
    Scentronic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Metro Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    2,748

    Angry 2 guys seriously dissing Visit @ TJ Maxx

    I was just at TJ Maxx checking the fragrance selection, as I usually do once a week. There were 2 gay guys (and I only say that because they were absolutely gay...pink shirts, deep lisps, the whole nine yards) smelling all of the tester bottles and giving shallow commentary on them.

    One of them smelled Azzaro Visit and couldn't express enough to his friend how terrible it was. They kept smelling it and going "Oh, god! Its sooooo bad!" and "you weren't kidding when you said this was awful!"

    It was almost like they knew Visit was one of my favorites as they continued on for a full minute at least about how bad it was.

    I don't really have any relevant point, other than the fact that I couldn't believe how bad they were dissing it, considering the following Visit has here on Basenotes. Unlike the stereotype perpetuated by gays and non-gays alike, these guys did seem to have bad taste in general. They were "prissed" and primped up, but seemed overall sloppy. I just cant let people talk trash about my favs without some retaliation!!!
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

  2. #2
    Thrax
    Guest

    Default Re: 2 guys seriously dissing Visit @ TJ Maxx

    It was a good fellow named PigeonMurderer who said "Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one."

  3. #3

    Default Re: 2 guys seriously dissing Visit @ TJ Maxx

    I would think that most people that grew up in the ADG era would feel that anything complex and woody (especially smelled out of a bottle) is bad.

    It's like a person that grew up on McDonalds trying sushi for the first time. Well, maybe that analogy is a little exagerated, but you get my point.

  4. #4
    Scentronic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Metro Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    2,748

    Default Re: 2 guys seriously dissing Visit @ TJ Maxx

    No I get the sushi analogy! and btw, I've recently discovered sushi for myself, even had some today. Good stuff once you get used to it!

    I know everyone has their own opinion, and we've been over that concept again and again...

    I'm pretty hard to please when it comes to wood scents. Visit broke me in to woods in fact.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

  5. #5

    Default Re: 2 guys seriously dissing Visit @ TJ Maxx

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrax
    It was a good fellow named PigeonMurderer who said "Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one."
    Hey, my grandmother always says that! And damnit. I've been waiting for the right time to bust that one out...

  6. #6
    Thrax
    Guest

    Default Re: 2 guys seriously dissing Visit @ TJ Maxx

    Quote Originally Posted by robyogi
    Hey, my grandmother always says that! And damnit. I've been waiting for the right time to bust that one out...
    Sorry I spoiled that moment for you.

  7. #7

    Default Re: 2 guys seriously dissing Visit @ TJ Maxx

    Thanks for the imagery and the laughs it initiated. The moment must've been priceless to witness!

  8. #8
    Overcome By Fumes
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Posts
    3,307

    Default Re: 2 guys seriously dissing Visit @ TJ Maxx

    "Tester" bottles as TJM? I have never seen them.

    I thought unscrupulous shoppers just tore open the packaging to sample the actual fragrances on sale. I especially love when they open one package, smell the fragrance from that box, then buy the sealed one.

  9. #9

    Default Re: 2 guys seriously dissing Visit @ TJ Maxx

    Quote Originally Posted by docluv45
    "Tester" bottles as TJM? I have never seen them.

    I thought unscrupulous shoppers just tore open the packaging to sample the actual fragrances on sale. I especially love when they open one package, smell the fragrance from that box, then buy the sealed one.
    You know I've witnessed that again and again at our Canadian equivalent of TJ Maxx... It drives me nuts!
    "Of the five senses, the sense of smell is incontestably the one that best conveys a sense of immortality."

    Salvador Dali

  10. #10

    Default Re: 2 guys seriously dissing Visit @ TJ Maxx

    Whats the Canadian equivalent?

  11. #11

    Default Re: 2 guys seriously dissing Visit @ TJ Maxx

    Oh man I can just see those two now. Great story

    However, no support from me on the Visit. It reminds me too much of the lofty, spread of old spice. I need a sharp woodiness like Gucci ph. And, the bottle turns me off.

    Just me 2 cents. Had to play DA.

  12. #12

    Default Re: 2 guys seriously dissing Visit @ TJ Maxx

    Quote Originally Posted by LushLife
    Whats the Canadian equivalent?
    Winners ?

  13. #13

    Default Re: 2 guys seriously dissing Visit @ TJ Maxx

    Azzaro Visit is great. I just can't get enough of it. :wave:
    « L'odeur de rose, faible, grâce au vent léger d'été qui passe, se mêle aux parfums qu'elle a mis.»
    [ Paul Verlaine ]
    Wardrobe

  14. #14

    Default Re: 2 guys seriously dissing Visit @ TJ Maxx

    Quote Originally Posted by perfectfeet
    I don't really have any relevant point,
    At least you admit it. Well...you don't really say WHY they thought it was so bad but I will say that I do agree with them. Personally I think it is one of the lesser wood fragrances out there. No subtlety and a bit chaotic if you ask me. That opinion may put me in the minority here but I'm used to it. Go ahead and trash me too if you want. When you do, please note that I do not have a lisp but I do own a pink shirt. Its sort of a rule.

  15. #15

    CologneJunkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Overland Park/Lawrence, KS
    Posts
    4,789
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: 2 guys seriously dissing Visit @ TJ Maxx

    Perfectfeet, what does the sexuality of the men really have to do w/ anything? If they had been macho bikers dissing Visit, would you still have been upset? Or what if the "obviously" gay guys happened to be dissing a scent that you happened to despise as well? How would that change the tone of your post?
    Last edited by CologneJunkie; 13th September 2006 at 05:51 AM.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

  16. #16

    Default Re: 2 guys seriously dissing Visit @ TJ Maxx

    Quote Originally Posted by perfectfeet
    Visit broke me in to woods in fact.
    Hey now.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

  17. #17
    Thrax
    Guest

    Default Re: 2 guys seriously dissing Visit @ TJ Maxx

    Quote Originally Posted by CologneJunkie
    Perfectfeet, what does the sexuality of the men really have to do w/ anything? If they had been macho bikers dissing Visit, would you still have been upset? Or what if the "obviously" gay guys happened to be dissing a scent that you happened to dispise as well? How would that change the tone of your post?
    Very interesting point. I'm willing to bet there may have been different thoughts in that situation.

  18. #18

    Default Re: 2 guys seriously dissing Visit @ TJ Maxx

    You should buy twice as much Visit it now just to piss them off.
    The pursuit of philosophy is the hope that there is more to life than we realize. By philosophy, however, we come to realize that in fact there is less to life than previously imagined.

  19. #19

    Default Re: 2 guys seriously dissing Visit @ TJ Maxx

    Quote Originally Posted by CologneJunkie
    Perfectfeet, what does the sexuality of the men really have to do w/ anything? If they had been macho bikers dissing Visit, would you still have been upset? Or what if the "obviously" gay guys happened to be dissing a scent that you happened to despise as well? How would that change the tone of your post?
    I think the point was that gay men are stereotyped as having "good taste" in scents/clothes/whatever. So...either they have bad taste or we have bad taste. Or sexuality has nothing to do with taste. Or taste is arbitrary and pointless. Hm.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

  20. #20

    Default Re: 2 guys seriously dissing Visit @ TJ Maxx

    Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz
    I think the point was that gay men are stereotyped as having "good taste" in scents/clothes/whatever. So...either they have bad taste or we have bad taste. Or sexuality has nothing to do with taste. Or taste is arbitrary and pointless. Hm.
    I think that's exactly the point... but more importantly, it's always surprised me the number of negative reactions Visit (and for that matter its close cousin Gucci Rush) gets. I've always thought them both perfectly charming. In fact when Visit was first released I thought it was one of the most original things I'd encountered (I hadn't yet tried the previously released Rush; they're very similar but subtly different), and only held off buying it because I thought that it would be very soon that I'd be coming across it in every damn club/bar etc... But I don't think I've ever encountered it outside the fragrance testing area at the department store.

    Incidentally, I heard Gucci Rush has been discontinued...

  21. #21

    Default Re: 2 guys seriously dissing Visit @ TJ Maxx

    Quote Originally Posted by perfectfeet
    I was just at TJ Maxx checking the fragrance selection, as I usually do once a week. There were 2 gay guys (and I only say that because they were absolutely gay...pink shirts, deep lisps, the whole nine yards) smelling all of the tester bottles and giving shallow commentary on them....I just cant let people talk trash about my favs without some retaliation!!!
    Is this to be read as retaliation? Thanks for subjecting yourself to such open insight. I would have been interested in what their favorites were. I always ask guys when I get that chance. You may have missed the best part. All of Azzarro is soso for me, but I am on my second pair of pink socks this summer.
    Last edited by narcus; 13th September 2006 at 12:18 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

  22. #22

    Default Re: 2 guys seriously dissing Visit @ TJ Maxx

    As a TJ Maxx employee (a good college job, plus I get first dibs at the scents!), I can assure you there are no "testers." We just get sent a bunch of stuff in a box, with no idea what's in it. People somehow get the idea that it's ok to just open up packages and spray stuff (I guess they think since things are inexpensive there that it must be somehow ok compared to a department store). As mentioned above, people just love to open up a package, try it, and buy one that's sealed. I guess I'll just never understand people.

    Visit was one of the first frags I bought at TJ, and is one of my favorites. I love the woods, but it's not overpowering like Gucci PH tends to be. Some days I like to put on a spray or two of Bvlgari Black before applying Visit... the vanilla and woods work really well together.

  23. #23

    Default Re: 2 guys seriously dissing Visit @ TJ Maxx

    You shouldn't think you can justify stereotypes--even those you perceive as perpetuated by gays and non-gays alike--by listing all the ways someone seems to you to fit the elements of the stereotype. And, as noted, why is it relevant at all to your post that you concluded they were gay? If they had been black, would you have mentioned that? Would you have mentioned it and then added how they fulfilled "the whole nine yards" of some stereotype? Doubtful.

  24. #24
    Basenotes Plus
    tdem1961's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Staten Island, NY
    Posts
    5,632

    Default Re: 2 guys seriously dissing Visit @ TJ Maxx

    What Tuner_Watson said.
    Quote Originally Posted by perfectfeet
    I was just at TJ Maxx checking the fragrance selection, as I usually do once a week. There were 2 gay guys (and I only say that because they were absolutely gay...pink shirts, deep lisps, the whole nine yards) smelling all of the tester bottles and giving shallow commentary on them.
    I don't see the point of including the fact that they were gay, given your reason for mentioning it.

    I couldn't care less about what others (especially strangers!!) think of the fragrances I wear. Trash away or give praise, it's all the same to me, and I'm not paying any mind either way. If I love it, I wear it, period.

    BTW, I know quite a few men who wear pink shirts - one even has a lisp (really more like a sibilant "S" - and most of them are straight.
    Last edited by tdem1961; 13th September 2006 at 11:35 AM.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

  25. #25

    Default Re: 2 guys seriously dissing Visit @ TJ Maxx

    Well I could see why they would hate it. It is a very manly scent and it probaly won't fit their lifestyle and personality if they were gay. I am one who loves Azzaro Visit and can't wait till it is the dead cold on winter so it can work it's magic

  26. #26
    Scentronic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Metro Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    2,748

    Default Re: 2 guys seriously dissing Visit @ TJ Maxx

    By describing them, I was just trying to paint a picture for you. I would have done the same if they were black, straight, indian, children, whatever. If they were from India and wearing turbans, I would have told you. If they were white trash from down the street, I would have described their wife-beaters and flip flops.

    And by the whole nine yards, I mean that they were very effeminate in their entire demeanor - thereby fitting into the stereotype that most people put on someone when they think "gay". If this weren't true, we wouldn't have shows like Queer Eye for the straight guy - which obviously does a great job perpetuating society's stereotype of gays. I do not perpetuate this notion, but I'd be wrong to deny its existence. I've said it before and I'll say it again - I have absolutely nothing against gay people; I don't even make fun of them. These guys were gay and they wanted the world to know. Thats all there is to it.

    Gayness is not so incredibly taboo that we cant even talk about it or refer to someone as gay. I wanted you to "hear" the tone of their voices as they ridiculed. I wanted you to imagine their pink polo shirts - which btw is not an indicator of gayness in my eyes; hell I'm wearing pink socks right now. I feel about just as rare in society (having a foot fetish) as gay people. There is MILES more gay culture than there is "foot fetish" culture, so I think I might feel like an outcast even more so! I'm totally fine with this btw. My point - Why would I go making fun of anyone because of a sexual preference when mine is probably much weirder (in my mind anyway!). And if someone cracks a joke at me or calls me a foot freak, I'm not going to have a pride march over it - hell I usually think it's funny.


    These guys had bad taste in general - and it was obvious. From their over-emphasized femininity to their brief and ignorant taste in fragrance.


    And yeah they were opening boxes and testing stuff - but it's commonplace around here I guess. When most of the boxes are already open, it's kind of a green light to open more.
    Last edited by Scentronic; 13th September 2006 at 02:12 PM.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

  27. #27

    Angry Re: 2 guys seriously dissing Visit @ TJ Maxx

    Quote Originally Posted by KingMist
    Well I could see why they would hate it. It is a very manly scent and it probaly won't fit their lifestyle and personality if they were gay. I am one who loves Azzaro Visit and can't wait till it is the dead cold on winter so it can work it's magic

    I am brand new here, so I am not sure if you were joking or not. If not, your post is seriously offensive. Being gay does not preclude manliness in any way. I know plenty of ultra-fey gay guys as well as many hyper-masculine ones. Sitting around posting on a fragrance website does not seem particularly manly to me--so maybe a "manly" fragrance like Visit will help to counteract that. Shouldn't we all be beyond these silly gender and sexuality stereotypes--especially when it comes to fragrance?

  28. #28

    Default Re: 2 guys seriously dissing Visit @ TJ Maxx

    Quote Originally Posted by KingMist
    Well I could see why they would hate it. It is a very manly scent and it probaly won't fit their lifestyle and personality if they were gay. I am one who loves Azzaro Visit and can't wait till it is the dead cold on winter so it can work it's magic
    Apparently it's hard to wear in gay clubs?
    The pursuit of philosophy is the hope that there is more to life than we realize. By philosophy, however, we come to realize that in fact there is less to life than previously imagined.

  29. #29

    Default Re: 2 guys seriously dissing Visit @ TJ Maxx

    I would no more care about what some dumb queen thought about the smell of cologne smelled straight from the bottle than I would what he thought of good red wine glugged straight from the bottle.

    This dumb queen has been around long enough to know that you have to smell the juice on your skin to make any judgement, just as you have to pour the wine out to see what it's really going to taste like.

    As for being "manly", KingMist, there are entire neighborhoods devoted to Gays who are way too "manly" to ever be caught dead wearing something as "femme" as cologne. Even a "manly" one

  30. #30

    Default Re: 2 guys seriously dissing Visit @ TJ Maxx

    Quote Originally Posted by Porcepic
    I am brand new here, so I am not sure if you were joking or not. If not, your post is seriously offensive. Being gay does not preclude manliness in any way. I know plenty of ultra-fey gay guys as well as many hyper-masculine ones. Sitting around posting on a fragrance website does not seem particularly manly to me--so maybe a "manly" fragrance like Visit will help to counteract that. Shouldn't we all be beyond these silly gender and sexuality stereotypes--especially when it comes to fragrance?
    Very well said, and welcome to Basenotes, Porcepic.
    Current faves: CdG White, Amouage Dia, Millesime Imperial, Miller Harris Terre de Bois

  31. #31
    Scentronic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Metro Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    2,748

    Default Re: 2 guys seriously dissing Visit @ TJ Maxx

    I don't thiink Visit is particularly MANLY to begin with anyway. I wasn't saying that they wouldn't like it because they were gay (that was kingmist ). I don't think gay or straight would suggest any particular fragrance type preference either.

    These guys were a couple of toolboxes and it showed.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

  32. #32

    Default Re: 2 guys seriously dissing Visit @ TJ Maxx

    Quote Originally Posted by perfectfeet
    By describing them, I was just trying to paint a picture for you.
    PF, I know you've written at length about the "truth" of stereotypes and about how society talks about them and reality you ascribe to the function of the stereotype, but when you try to paint a picture for us, as you've put it, you're inviting us into seeing a stereotype and suggesting it's familiar to us, as if we should say, Oh yeah, I know these guys. And then you're dismissive of their behavior, as if the stereotype explains all of them and their scent taste, right down to their not appreciating a scent you find "manly" and appreciate yourself for its "manliness." It looks to me like they're two people who disagree with your nose wishes.

    Tuner makes a great post, I think, and CJ and others have as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuner_Watson
    You shouldn't think you can justify stereotypes--even those you perceive as perpetuated by gays and non-gays alike--by listing all the ways someone seems to you to fit the elements of the stereotype. And, as noted, why is it relevant at all to your post that you concluded they were gay? If they had been black, would you have mentioned that? Would you have mentioned it and then added how they fulfilled "the whole nine yards" of some stereotype? Doubtful.
    Many posts on this thread have tried to show you the stereotype doesn't hold, no matter where you've seen it, and that the picture you want to paint for us displays awfully badly and inaccurately. Sure, there's homosexuality as an issue in the world and discussions of it. That means people are full characters--full people, more than flat representations of stereotypes rendered into cartoons.

    As a moderator I have to worry about this thread getting out of hand and becoming a flame war. There's good discussion of plenty of things here, and I think members post to it, because they want to be understood. However, there's a risk of things getting out of hand. Name calling and dismissive comments, general attacks, and discussion of issues far and away beyond fragrance in our lives will get the thread locked.

    Everyone, if your point has been made here already, please consider that as you weigh whether to post.

    I thank everyone for their thoughful postings.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

  33. #33

    Default Re: 2 guys seriously dissing Visit @ TJ Maxx

    I am sorry if I offended some with my post. But in my opnion, I think more gays would want to be wearing something like burberry brit rather than Visit. There are people out there, even gays, out there who could love visit for what it is, but we all buy colognes to fit our personality, style, and appearance. To me, a scent like visit would not suit on most gay person's personality, style, or appearance. This is my opnion, take it or leave it, but I felt like I needed to clear the air.

  34. #34

    Default Re: 2 guys seriously dissing Visit @ TJ Maxx

    In response to the original post...why do you even care what these guys thought? As someone who used to sell fragrance I can't tell you how many times I would hear some of my faves trashed. But so what-Not everyone is going to like what you do, and they're entitled to their opinion just as much as you're entitled to yours. No reason to feel a need to "retaliate", you shouldn't be taking that personally.
    Current faves: CdG White, Amouage Dia, Millesime Imperial, Miller Harris Terre de Bois

  35. #35

    Default Re: 2 guys seriously dissing Visit @ TJ Maxx

    I love VISIT, one of my favourites.

    Hey, try Thai food sometimes, along with Sushi.
    Current Top 5

    1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

  36. #36

    Default Re: 2 guys seriously dissing Visit @ TJ Maxx

    Quote Originally Posted by KingMist
    I am sorry if I offended some with my post. But in my opnion, I think more gays would want to be wearing something like burberry brit rather than Visit. There are people out there, even gays, out there who could love visit for what it is, but we all buy colognes to fit our personality, style, and appearance. To me, a scent like visit would not suit on most gay person's personality, style, or appearance. This is my opnion, take it or leave it, but I felt like I needed to clear the air.
    How would you know what gay people would prefer to wear, and why would someone's sexuality lead them to choose something like Brit over Visit? This just doesn't make sense.
    Current faves: CdG White, Amouage Dia, Millesime Imperial, Miller Harris Terre de Bois

  37. #37

    CologneJunkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Overland Park/Lawrence, KS
    Posts
    4,789
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: 2 guys seriously dissing Visit @ TJ Maxx

    Quote Originally Posted by perfectfeet
    By describing them, I was just trying to paint a picture for you. I would have done the same if they were black, straight, indian, children, whatever. If they were from India and wearing turbans, I would have told you. If they were white trash from down the street, I would have described their wife-beaters and flip flops.

    These guys had bad taste in general - and it was obvious. From their over-emphasized femininity to their brief and ignorant taste in fragrance.
    If I tried to "paint a picture" every time I heard one of my favorites get dissed, people would get awful tired of me, lol.

    And to state that they have "bad taste" because of their "over-emphisized femininity" and a different taste in frags than yourself... I guess you could say that *I* have "over-emphasized MASCULINITY", just because I for the most part wear men's clothes & men's frags, and I have rather "butch" mannerisms. Does that mean I have bad taste, too?
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

  38. #38

    Default Re: 2 guys seriously dissing Visit @ TJ Maxx

    I don't buy into the gay stereotype.
    I'm a straight married latino male. I've seen gay bikers during bike week in Daytona beach who i would not even wanna mess with. Some of those guys make ME look gay.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

  39. #39

    Default Re: 2 guys seriously dissing Visit @ TJ Maxx

    Omg
    Last edited by TheCure; 13th September 2006 at 04:20 PM.

  40. #40

    Default Re: 2 guys seriously dissing Visit @ TJ Maxx

    Quote Originally Posted by TheCure
    Omg
    ????
    Current faves: CdG White, Amouage Dia, Millesime Imperial, Miller Harris Terre de Bois

  41. #41
    Scentronic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Metro Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    2,748

    Default Re: 2 guys seriously dissing Visit @ TJ Maxx

    Everybody wants to be a god damn victim.

    lock the thread already, we obviously can't have a logical discussion without people taking offense to every little nuance of the conversation.

    And yeah, you know what? When I see a guy in a pink polo shirt with the collar popped, with a pink bandana around his neck, speaking in a deep lisp, I'm going to assume he's gay. Not because I'm ignorant, not because I'm prejudice, not because I stereotype people - because he looks like he's trying to emit a gay vibe, on his own behalf. That, and the fact that usually, when someone looks like this - they ARE gay. I had nothing to do with it, I'm simply making an observation and taking into consideration the things I've seen in the past. Now before you say "well not all gay people look like that!" . . . Uh, no sh*t. But it stands as a pretty good HINT that they probably are. Do they have bad taste BECAUSE they're gay - NO! Do very masculine men have bad taste - NO! These guys seemed like a couple of silly jackasses and I was making fun of them for that and that only.
    Last edited by Scentronic; 13th September 2006 at 05:36 PM.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

  42. #42

    CologneJunkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Overland Park/Lawrence, KS
    Posts
    4,789
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: 2 guys seriously dissing Visit @ TJ Maxx

    Quote Originally Posted by perfectfeet
    Everybody wants to be a god damn victim.
    If you are referring to what I wrote, I'm *not* trying to act a victim. I was simply asking why you think one automatically has "bad taste" if they portray themselves as "gay" or even different from the norm, and they have a different taste in fragrances than you? I'm just asking you a question, that's it.
    Last edited by CologneJunkie; 13th September 2006 at 06:07 PM.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

  43. #43

    Default Re: 2 guys seriously dissing Visit @ TJ Maxx

    Quote Originally Posted by perfectfeet
    By describing them, I was just trying to paint a picture for you. I would have done the same if they were black, straight, indian, children, whatever. If they were from India and wearing turbans, I would have told you. If they were white trash from down the street, I would have described their wife-beaters and flip flops.
    Feet, I see what you mean, and I took what you said in that spirit. You didn't sound mean-spirited to me, for what it's worth.

    It is true that whenever you're saying something with an audience, you never know whom you'll offend, and any mention of sexuality has a strong chance of setting people off.

    It brings up some interesting issues, which probably can't be dealt with here. For instance, what would people say to their friends, but would deny vigorously in public.

    I remember I worked in a large company where women comprised most of the management, which was totally cool to me. One strange small by-product of that was that it was "OK" to make jokes about how stupid men are, even with men around. I generally let it slide off, although I did express my opinion privately to a particularly vociferous colleague, and she did ease off, at least with me. I can imagine the merde-storm that would have ensued if a male had made jokes about how stupid women are.

    It mainly depends on who's in control, which is, in fact, generally white straight males here in our wonderous US.

    On a more positive note, if I see someone dissing a scent that I like, it often shows that I'm doing something right! I do like Visit very much, BTW.

  44. #44
    Basenotes Plus
    tdem1961's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Staten Island, NY
    Posts
    5,632

    Default Re: 2 guys seriously dissing Visit @ TJ Maxx

    I don't believe any mean-spiritedness was intended. I just don't understand how mentioning whether a person's gay or straight, or fat or thin, or black, or Asian, or preppy or a biker has anything to do with an opinion regarding a fragrance.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

  45. #45

    Default Re: 2 guys seriously dissing Visit @ TJ Maxx

    I'm not really offended but don't find the story funny. You had to either be there or a better writer had to retell it, I think. I can see how this post would bother some poeple though. and I question whether PF would have ever written something like "they were sooo black! dark complexion with do rags and gold chains and oversize fubu and the whole nine yards!"

    As far as "everybody has to be a goddamn victim" bear in mind, most gay people and certainly all obviously gay people have in fact most likely been victims of discrimination, harrassment and often violence just for being who they are. Even a lot of gay guys despise "queeny" men. In fact it's getting to be more like that all the time. The younger post "gay lib" generation of gays is really quite homophobic compared to the last generation. Check out their "men for men" ads on craigslist sometime. You'll find half of them are "bi" with "girlfriend out of town" it's really disconcerting.

    Anyway, I had a similar experience yesterday I visited the scent bar and there was an icelandic woman there and she was tryign some things and I was trying things like the andy tauer frags and saying "I like this" about air morrocain and lonestar memories and a few other things and she'd take the scent strips from me and to try and then sputter "oh god!" in disgust "jesus christ!" *cough cough* and I felt like saying to her "hey, don't bother to spare my feelings, I'm cool". Actually I just though it was really funny but did feel she was being a bit. .. almost impolite. I mean it really was a bit embarrassing to say "I like this" then have a person practically puke over it.

  46. #46

    Default Re: 2 guys seriously dissing Visit @ TJ Maxx

    ^ Yeah, that's a bit rude, but you have to expect it with people who aren't used to smelling scents with stronger characters. I have to admit that the first time I smelled Visit, I was a little repelled by it. I still think the ginger is too heavy (and for that reason I enjoy Rush a lot more) but I've grown to like it in winter. Many of my friends still don't like it much.

    It was probably the same situation with the two guys PF was talking about. It has nothing to do with gayness, the scent is just pungent and off-putting to the inexperienced, especially right out of the bottle.

    But yeah, that lady was rude. She could have expressed her disagreement is a more tasteful way than feigning a gag reflex...unless you really DID pick something that made her gag. In that case, way to go!!
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

  47. #47

    Default Re: 2 guys seriously dissing Visit @ TJ Maxx

    My personal policy, which I think is a good one, is that I never mention someone's race, sexual orientation, etc. unless it is specifically relevant to the conversation. This includes when talking about my friends, the person I am dating, etc. I don't take a very restrictive view of what is relevant, and I rarely have any trouble deciding whether to describe someone as "black," "gay," etc.

  48. #48

    Default Re: 2 guys seriously dissing Visit @ TJ Maxx

    As was recently discussed, it all comes down to this - dont be offended if someone doesnt like your (one of) your favorite fragrance. Its a personal choice.

    And be glad they dont like it - its one less person wearing your favorite cologne !
    -

  49. #49
    Scentronic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Metro Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    2,748

    Default Re: 2 guys seriously dissing Visit @ TJ Maxx

    I thank those of you who understand for understanding! It's not like I'm out trying to gay bash here or something! It's OK to acknowledge a trend or two from the things some gay people do, isn't it?!

    The last thing I wanted was to bring up a controversial conversation about gay people. If my wording suggested some form of prejudice, please know that text alone cannot transmit context and something you find offensive might be something to be taken differently than you had perceived.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

  50. #50
    Scentronic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Metro Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    2,748

    Default Re: 2 guys seriously dissing Visit @ TJ Maxx

    You know, Mark makes a great point.

    Let me back waaaayyyy up. I stand corrected!

    Straight guys are STEALING the look!

    I guess by many people's standards, I'd be considered a metrosexual anyway. And I have indeed been called that as well! I'll stop far short of a pink bandana, but I do think that most of the gay people I see are very style concious and attractive. They also seem to attract girls! Maybe some of us straight guys should start taking some notes.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

  51. #51

    Default Re: 2 guys seriously dissing Visit @ TJ Maxx

    "most of the gay people I see are very style concious and attractive."

    Most of the Catholics I see tend to wear black clothes and little white collars.

    Both statements show the same logical fallacy, I think.

  52. #52

    Default Re: 2 guys seriously dissing Visit @ TJ Maxx

    Quote Originally Posted by KingMist
    I am sorry if I offended some with my post. But in my opnion, I think more gays would want to be wearing something like burberry brit rather than Visit. There are people out there, even gays, out there who could love visit for what it is, but we all buy colognes to fit our personality, style, and appearance. To me, a scent like visit would not suit on most gay person's personality, style, or appearance. This is my opnion, take it or leave it, but I felt like I needed to clear the air.
    </Sarcasm>KingMist, I will be sure that we all bring this up at our next meeting. I hope you can understand, however, that with the wide diversity of gay people in the world it will be really hard to get consensus on such matters. Just yesterday I was telling my left handed brother why I thought that his BMW didn't suit him, him being left handed and all. Surely 'lefties' would appreciate a US domestic car so much better, don't you think? He just looked at me like I was crazy, naive, and hopelessly ignorant of the world and its diverse peoples.</sarcasm>

  53. #53

    Default Re: 2 guys seriously dissing Visit @ TJ Maxx

    This happens at fragrance counters often. People who know nothing about fragrance sniff and give commentary on all the scents...Of course I have to be good because I work for Armani and RL fragrances...and I can't say what I would like to say....The conversation that really kills me is people spray Gio and say that's too strong...I feel like saying..if this is too strong...then you surely won't like anything here...Oh well.
    I thought that Visit was a good fragrance...and still is a good scent...Yes it is very hard to be nice as someone disses one of your faves...but that's life...there will always be that one person who can't stand what you Love.
    Gary

  54. #54

    Default Re: 2 guys seriously dissing Visit @ TJ Maxx

    Im sorry to have to continue this thread in this section, but I'd like to be able to just quickly drop my $0.02 about the issue here.
    I dont believe that gay people can be stereotyped, as they can fit any image of a human being that they want. Sexual orientation is an internal thing, and although it may manifest itself through external expression, it is impossible to label someone as gay or not gay simply from the way they choose to project themselves.
    That being said, I believe also that the gay community DOES have an image. This image, however much it can change and evolve due to its members, still chooses to present itself as a unified image/type to others. This does not mean that it is a narrow presentation, rather that it does have the ability to be broad and diverse while still being defined. while the rainbow flag itself is a neutral icon, I think it just points out that the gay community is unified as a community. For example, there is a very vibrant gay community here in Vancouver. Each year there is a "Pride Parade" down Davie street, in which many organizations and affiliated clubs participate. Regardless of how each of them choose to participate, they all contribute to the view (stereotypical or close to real) of the gay community not only to people viewing from outside, but also for those in the community to feel a part of.
    I think the original poster here was touching on that with his points, but his choice to use them in reference to cologne critique was misplaced.
    I dont mean to poke a very controversial and even sensitive subject, but at the same time I believe that we shouldnt be afraid to talk or debate on these issues.
    I DO agree though that this is not the area to do it (and I apologize now for adding to this) and perhaps in off-topic this thread could continue, or be locked.
    Also, people sure do have a lot to say about VISIT, I think now that I MUST try it!
    Last edited by LushLife; 14th September 2006 at 12:23 AM.

  55. #55

    Default Re: 2 guys seriously dissing Visit @ TJ Maxx

    Quote Originally Posted by KingMist
    I think more gays would want to be wearing something like burberry brit rather than Visit
    ::BITES TONGUE::
    Current faves: CdG White, Amouage Dia, Millesime Imperial, Miller Harris Terre de Bois

  56. #56

    Default Re: 2 guys seriously dissing Visit @ TJ Maxx

    I wonder what would wear an eunuch or a hermaphrodite or a bisexual or a zoophil ....

    This thread seems so silly to me. I mean, the seriousness with which you guys treat the subject of sexual orientation, how sensitve people are to this subject and how easily they get offended...

    I don't think that perfectfeet's intention was to offend the gay people; to me, he outlined the fact that those two guys were gay only to show that even gay people have bad taste (if someone doesn't like a particular frag that doesn't necessarily mean he has bad taste, but in this case if they reacted so bad to this scent it's probably because they enjoyed bland AdG type frags) contrary to the stereotype by which gay people necessarily have good taste.

    It doesn't matter with who (or what ) you're fucking; good or bad taste does not depend on what the person with which you fuck (or make love, if we shall use a more euphemistic expression) has between her legs...

    And being gay doesn't necessarily mean being more effeminate, as there are gays who are much more butch in their behavior and clothing style then straight humans.

  57. #57

    Default Re: 2 guys seriously dissing Visit @ TJ Maxx

    Ah you guys are ridiculous. First of all, it doesn't matter hwat you are. Black, gay, white, straight, etc etc. Everyone has certain tastes. Your personality determines that, not what you are. Just because someone is a certain thin does not mean they are similar to all the other people that is black, gay, white, etc etc.

    That's like saying black people aren't allowed to like anything but rap. This is a huge stereotype. It's like saying white people shouldn't like rap. Again this is a huge stereotype. It's like saying gay people should always have a great sense of style etc etc.

    What you are doesn't make up who you are.

  58. #58

    Default Re: 2 guys seriously dissing Visit @ TJ Maxx

    “There is no such thing as a homosexual or a heterosexual person. There are only homo- or heterosexual acts. Most people are a mixture of impulses if not practices.”

    Gore Vidal

Similar Threads

  1. Fragrances I would Like to Try on my London visit!
    By LeeScot in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 17th February 2008, 05:29 PM
  2. Tumulte Pour Homme if you have Visit
    By Titan in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 1st February 2008, 01:25 PM
  3. Azzaro Visit - Too Spicy or Just Right ?
    By edouble in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 19th October 2006, 11:16 AM
  4. opinions on Visit by Azzaro
    By Titan in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 26th February 2006, 10:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000