Code of Conduct

Default Whose More Into Frag -- men or woman?

First off it's obviously more socially acceptable for woman to be into frag. Two woman could talk openly about the latest release, and how they have dozens of bottles -- most men never would. Even some on BN -- myself included -- do not reveal my hobby and would be a bit (or more) embarressed if others knew. When asked how I got some exotic frag, I typically say as a present rather than the truth -- hours of sniffing, research, etc.

Anyway, given the obvious social constraints, I'm amazed at how often the people doing the sniffing, and seeming knowledgable, in stores are men (often with their GF so as not to arouse suspicion, you know.....) These stores also seem to offer as big a men's selection as womans -- many guys must be buying this stuff. And then there's the often-made observation about how active the male BN forum is compared to the woman's. My conclusion is that although often kept in the closet, guys are into Frag as much or more than woman. Seems that once the bug bites a guy, frag becomes like gadgets -- you just have to have it, and more and more.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Whose More Into Frag -- men or woman?

Judging from the activity on this forum and others, I'd say there's a sizeable contingent of men who are into fragrance.

It's always been a "thing" with me. I was absolutely fascinated by my mom's glass stopper-bottle of Miss Dior (and she still has it). Maybe this is why I steered my girlfriend to Diorella, after a long, long search for some perfume to replace the Ciara she was fond of wearing. Many happy hours spent with her at the perfume counter at Filene's...

Anyway, I'm always, always aware of scent on a person, even if it's only the lingering scent of anti-perspirant.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scentinell
    .....These stores also seem to offer as big a men's selection as womans -- many guys must be buying this stuff....
    At my local stores in Croydon (Allders, House of Fraser etc) the men's ranges seem to be actually more than the women's!!! And there's always lots of blokes in there milling around hehe :-D
    My Current Top 5: Terre d'Hermès | Terre de Bois by Miller Harris | Isfarkand by Ormonde Jayne | Brit for Men by Burberry | Grapefruit by Jo Malone

Wardrobe / Reviews

There are probably numerically more women than men into frag -- but then there are us guys (apparently lots of us) who have the Collecting Gene -- and when that gets directed at frags -- the result is BASENOTES!

Post Thanks / Like

Well, it wouldn't really be an accurate estimation looking at the posts on this forum, would it?

I'd tend to think that guys would be more sucked-in to the collecting aspect of fragrances, but then again - look at how women love to collect shoes and purses. This is a really good question!

I would - however - say that guys would be more likely to do the things an enthusiast would - visit websites, do research, etc. as this is evident on BN.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Post Thanks / Like

I think society views collecting frags as more of a women's hobby than a mans. But I think a male can be just as interested in collecting them as a female. There are big markets for both sexes and we just love to smell good so we are one in the same.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh lordy. This is a good question.

As has been mentioned, I think fragrance is labeled as more of a femme hobby/desire -especially in the field I'm in.

I work for a mining company. We do non-metal surface mining. As you can probably imagine, this job is filled with burly, bearded, manly men who are happy with simply smelling like dial soap -in some cases not even that. PeeeYew! Myself, to look at me one wouldn't think I'd be into fragrances. I'm usually wearing shorts, t-shirt, work boots, and a Cat Diesel Power cap (At work), not to mention I'm rather burly myself. Also, I operate heavy equipment ranging from dozers to road graders -primary function is a truck driver, however.

Anywho. I don't dare approach a fellow co-worker and try to discuss fragrances with them. They'd immediately think I was "funny". Kinda sad eh?

Oh well. I enjoy it, so to heck with them.
    Join The Revolution. Howard 100 & Howard 101. Sirius Satellite Radio. No More BS!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SternFan
    Anywho. I don't dare approach a fellow co-worker and try to discuss fragrances with them. They'd immediately think I was "funny". Kinda sad eh?

Oh well. I enjoy it, so to heck with them.
    That is kinda sad, but you have a good attitude about it. And, you'll always have a place to discuss frags here

If I were to wager a guess, I'd say that women were more inclined to wear frags...but men also want to "smell good" so they turn to scented bath products & toiletries like strongly scented shower gels, deoderants, and aftershaves. This is just a guess, though. Maybe I'm just not picking up on frags worn by a lot of guys my age. I worked with a guy for several months, & one time in conversation he mentioned that he wore Kenneth Cole Black to work every day! I sure wasn't able to smell it on him! So...maybe my guess is way off .
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Post Thanks / Like

Is it true that historically wearing perfume was considered "feminine" ?

I do know that Egyptian and Arab kings thousand of years ago used to indulge in it.
    -

Post Thanks / Like

Fascinating thread!

:wave:
    My Current Top 5: Terre d'Hermès | Terre de Bois by Miller Harris | Isfarkand by Ormonde Jayne | Brit for Men by Burberry | Grapefruit by Jo Malone

Wardrobe / Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Minty S
    There are probably numerically more women than men into frag -- but then there are us guys (apparently lots of us) who have the Collecting Gene -- and when that gets directed at frags -- the result is BASENOTES!

Well put. Another dimension of this -- at least for me -- is I could care less if people thought I smelled anything but "good." I don't want people thinking I go out of my way to wear frag. I don't wear stuff to work that screams "cologne" no matter how much I love the frag. I stick to Mugler, Gendarme, Clean, Gray Flannel (smells like soap on me) and, if I fell like taking a risk, Bulgari PH (sad, I know). On the other hand, I like collecting cologne even if 99% of the time it's just to "know it's there" -- I like Opium PH, but doubt I'd ever wear it in public (well, maybe way light, one spray, with the wife). I suspect most woman buy perfume to wear it, loudly and proudly.

Quote Originally Posted by scentinell
    Seems that once the bug bites a guy, frag becomes like gadgets -- you just have to have it, and more and more.
    I like the way this is put. It's clever and simple. Like gadgets...ha!

Fragrance collection is without doubt looked at in the United States as more of a feminine "hobby" than masculine, but it's all what you make of it. If it's what you truly enjoy and spending your money on it is something that ultimately brings you happiness then to hell with what others think, for this stigma and all others are merely rickety walls built up by the delusional generations past.

I don't try to hide my collection from anyone. If someone asks about it, I tell them. Now, that's not to say I actively go out of my way to talk to everybody about it, but then again I'm not going to lie about it either. I'm in the military and live in the base barracks at the moment. All five of my room-mates/buddys are quite aware of the collection of bottles and decants I have. Do I catch hell for it? Oh, you better believe it. LOL But, ya see, I'm a man and if I want to pursue something that I enjoy, then I'm going to do just that; with fervor and without regret.

Something which is considered feminine doesn't in turn make you feminine.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

In my real life, I don't know anyone, male or female that is really into fragrance. Most of my women friends own one or two fragrances, sometimes trying something new if it has been heavily promoted or their SO buys it for them for a present. Most of my male friends are the same or even less caring. When friends or co-workers find out about my collection, I get some pretty odd comments and looks from them. I believe most think it's pretty abnormal, to put in mildly.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

because men don't wear makeup > scents are the next best accessory (if not the best ) to wearing a nice watch.
    "Where should one use perfume?" a young woman asked. "Wherever one wants to be kissed," I said. - Coco Chanel

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty much all of my close friends know about my collection. Sometimes they get drunk and started yelling to everyone about how weird it is that I have so much cologne. I used to get uncomfortable, but I really don't anymore. I just sort of laugh and usually don't bother explaining everything, but I just say that it's a weird hobby of mine and that they shouldn't worry about it. Sometimes people inquire further, in which case I will divulge a little bit more information.
    I'm quite sure that fragrance sales, when just considering actual perfumes and colognes, are MUCH higher for women than for men. Basically every woman has a couple of scents, whereas only a modest percentage of men do. However, when you bring products like Axe into the mix, things get complicated. Axe is absolutely rampant in my dorm. I see a bottle in basically every guys room. The strange thing is that I never really smell it on anyone. Either they apply it very lightly, they rarely use it, or it is quite faint. In any case, Axe seems to be doing extremely well from a business standpoint.
    Surprisingly, I haven't seen any AdG bottles lying around people's rooms. I have smelled what I believe to be AdG a few times though. Here are the bottles that I've seen: Lacoste (not sure which one, reddish/orangeish color), Hollister (again, not sure which one), A&F Fierce, Armani Black Code, Issey Miyake, and gosh, there were a couple more that I can't remember. Those are just the men's scents obviously. I'm really tired so I apologize in advance for not properly concluding my post. I hope you guys are able to draw your own conclusions from it that are useful and exciting.

Post Thanks / Like

I am convinced men and women have the same desire to be clean first, and smell nice next. We only go different ways about it.

It starts with scented soap, I seriously also enjoy Gilette shaving foam for a light scent. Next thing to have was a deodorant and after-shave, and I think these have reached every man who also applies toothpaste. Men who work hard physically, men who sweat and wear 'dirt' gear usually shower at the end of their shift. Everybody has their personal soap and deo, usually the younger guys will splash some Axe before they are on their way home. I have worked in lot of plain jobs - the procedure is the same everywhere. As helper you carry your cleaning utensils along, on more permanent jobs you have your own locker to keep it all there - two different Axes plus a shaver maybe (that's when you are ready for BN ).

From a completely different angle: men may not sniff at flowers that much. But men who smoke can be very particular with how their tobacco smells (and tastes, of course). To sniff out wines is a culture of it's own, and I am just talking of smell here!

For me it's nowadays hard to think of perfume and not also about the person(s) to wear it - oneself mostly! But if your collection reaches 50 or 100 different colognes, male colognes, the question comes up, what do I have all this for? I am a collector! But as a collector - why don't I collect female fragrances too (some men do, I know)? Can women be as passionate collectors as men? There is known cases of handbag or shoe collections. All women I know may have more than ten perfumes, but ususally say that a handful of good perfume is all they want, and they would rather go into jewelry next.

Under the line my answer would be: men and women are alike, as concerns frags. Collectors are a species of their own, but I know more male collectors (of anything) than females with a desire to collect colognes. Exception: there are the miniature bottle collectors, and where I live, these are girls and women.
    Last edited by narcus; 14th September 2006 at 08:54 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Post Thanks / Like

Women are more into wearing fragrances - the size the shop floors is unambiguously answers that aspect.

But, let's face it, in general men are the more enthusiastic hobbiests. So if you gauge Who's more into Fragrances by the amount of analysis, scrutiny, dedication and obsessiveness, maybe the answer would be men.
    Renato

i feel like a man already. trapped in a woman's body! ahehehe.
    "Where should one use perfume?" a young woman asked. "Wherever one wants to be kissed," I said. - Coco Chanel

Post Thanks / Like

I think it stems from the idea that fragrances are to make us smell fresh and clean or safe. A conformism to society, and thereby a dulling of masculine energies. Subservience, rather than will to power. And those damn females are the ones that want to spray this on us, taming us as their nancy-boy Stepford boyfriends! This is the typical introduction and perception of male fragrance's place in society.

But then try Yatagan, Green Jeans, M7, Quorum or Horizon. When I smell these on myself, the powerful energies are not suppressed, but unlocked! Of the fragrances I've sampled so far, these are the ones that I continually go on to purchase. Not the vanilla-sweet, citrus cleaner or Boss/Nautica generic smells. Power sapping feminization, sanitization and simpering conformity. I'll pass on that.

See, I wear fragrances for the same reason that I burn incense; to unlock my mind and soul. To animate something within myself, called forth by the emotionally powerful olfactory sense. Fragrances are an incense that can be worn, a portable spiritual experience and an opening to greater power. A self-anointment. Eastern-minds, Catholics and freaks might agree.

Women. Almost every woman I know wears perfume and owns more than one bottle. Very few guys that I know wear cologne much less own more than one.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

For what it's worth and as has already been said - many more fragrances are stocked in the women's department than the men's. IMO the men's department is expanding more than the women's, not due to more men's scents being made than women's, but more due to the stores seeing a growing trend and stocking more of what is already out there.

Times are changing always and it is more accepted for a man to wear 'out of the norm' scents (at least in some areas).

Whose more into frag - women are. More men are probably into the research of it (Basenotes) though. Just my thoughts.
    Last edited by globetrekker; 7th June 2007 at 01:49 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's what I think (read, especially, if you are having trouble sleeping ;-) )

a) I think it is a peculiarly American phenomenon, i.e., the aversion to men wearing perfume. In other cultures, it is often de rigeur to wear a scent. But then again, there are many cultural practices elsewhere (e.g., regular consumption of alcohol, nudity, expression of public emotion) that are shunned in America. I attribute it to the fact that America essentially is a puritanical culture, especially if you consider that the roots of the country exist largely in so-called Pilgrim, or Puritan, settlements). As a result, on a day-to-day level (and I'm not talking about celebs here, but Joe and Jane Bloggs) anything that is essentially promoting the individual over the collective is quickly despatched as a novelty or an aberration. So, if, for example, I announce at my relatively traditional workplace's happy hour that I own over a dozen perfumes, jaws would drop and the mockery would follow (because mainstream male Americans really just don't do that). Because of this cultural norm, you're going to find that most beauty counters will be geared more toward women, for whom the wearing of fragrance is commonplace.

b) But. Men love to collect. Matchbox Cars. Star Wars figures. Baseball cards. Video Games. Music. Books. All are landmark collections in an American man's life. It is logical that when one develops a passion for scents, one feels similarly compelled to compile as varied and sundry a collection as possible. And men, generally speaking, are passionate about their collections (not saying that women are not). I would wager that many of the SO's of the men on BN have at one time or another (or, on many occasions, as my wife has) have expressed disbelief and/or disgust at either the amount of money spent on scent, or the time spent trolling this website. Plain and simple, one's peers who do not share such an interest have significant difficulty understanding the passion that a true interest in fragrances (and I'm talking not only an academic, but also, I hesitate to say, a spiritual, interest) generates, unless they too share such passion. And since possession of such passion is a particularly individual, rather than mainstream, thing, it inevitably leads to one risking the results discussed in a) above.

therefore, c) in America (at least), one would find that scent shopping in public (e.g., at the malls or boutiques) is primarily the domain of women (for whom scent shopping is the overwhelming cultural norm), rather than men (for whom an interest in scents is viewed as a cultural aberration); whereas scent shopping in private (e.g., on the internet) is more the domain of men who can feed their obsessions w/o fear (such a strong word, because I would wager that many on here would ever really "fear" for expressing their passion), which probably explains that that balance of activity on this website is by men.

This is not at all to suggest that men are more passionate about scents than their women counterparts. It's just that the public expression of such passion (at least in America) is more suited to women than men.

And now, I am going to shower, spray on some Egoiste and drift off to a deep and contented sleep.

c.1905

Quote Originally Posted by globetrekker View Post
    Whose more into frag - women are. More men are probably into the research of it (Basenotes) though. Just my thoughts.
    I think men are more into researching products in general, not just frags.

I believe that this forum says it all. The men by far are more into fragrance than women. I also believe that men are more apt to try something new. Women seem to get stuck on one and refuse to stray IMHO. Not all women but I will say that most are this way.
    Gary

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Circa1905 View Post
    Here's what I think (read, especially, if you are having trouble sleeping ;-) )

a) I think it is a peculiarly American phenomenon, i.e., the aversion to men wearing perfume. In other cultures, it is often de rigeur to wear a scent. But then again, there are many cultural practices elsewhere (e.g., regular consumption of alcohol, nudity, expression of public emotion) that are shunned in America. I attribute it to the fact that America essentially is a puritanical culture, especially if you consider that the roots of the country exist largely in so-called Pilgrim, or Puritan, settlements). As a result, on a day-to-day level (and I'm not talking about celebs here, but Joe and Jane Bloggs) anything that is essentially promoting the individual over the collective is quickly despatched as a novelty or an aberration. So, if, for example, I announce at my relatively traditional workplace's happy hour that I own over a dozen perfumes, jaws would drop and the mockery would follow (because mainstream male Americans really just don't do that). Because of this cultural norm, you're going to find that most beauty counters will be geared more toward women, for whom the wearing of fragrance is commonplace.
    This is a good point. I recently told a friend that I was collecting scents because they trigger moods and memories. I think I mentioned aromatherapy somewhere. He agreed, and later told me that the next day he went to buy Hugo Boss to remind him of his old high school days. I sighed and gave him my bottle of D&G PH. He needed it more then me.
    "Society honors its living conformists and its dead troublemakers."
    Mignon McLaughlin

I have to agree; if my male or female friends knew how many scents I owned, I believe they would consider me weird. As a result, I would have to say women are more into frags.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

I think it's mostly about culture / tradition. In the past, a man with more than a passing interest in fragrances would definitely be considered a bit "sexually suspicious", certainly in this country.
    Things are changing, however. Personalities like David Beckham, (whether you love him or hate him), are role models that are making male fragrance wearing much more openly acceptable for the new generation.

.. or do we need to organise a "Frag Pride" march ? ;-)

This is what I think. If you picture a 10-point scale for passion for fragrances ,

Scale: 1 (who cares), 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 (truely knowledgeable scent nuts)

My thinking is, numerically, more females are into fragrances by far (perhaps from scores to 4-8). But, I seem to get the impression that there are more male 'noses' in the industry than females
    Last edited by scensation; 7th June 2007 at 09:47 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Circa1905 is right on with the analysis, I think. It's all so cultural/historical era determined stuff. North American and much of NW Europe are Protestant-dominated cultures and so puritanism is very strong. Look at how many American women wear no perfume because it's, well, considered "not nice", or "too European". Those who do generally prefer to smell like fresh fruit and clean laundry, or vanilla pudding. No civet, please! And American men, and some Northern Europeans, and considered "dandified" if they wear or are interested in cologne/perfume. But historically it hasn't been this way at all. Every wealthy person on the planet was interested in perfumes and talked about them, as long as they weren't bound by sumptuary laws. In some cultures, perfumes were for practically everyone, not just the wealthy. And men? They like scent as much as the ladies. Think of men in ancient China or India or Africa. Arabia, South America, I can go on here for awhile. It's kind of in the same ballpark as jewelry. Men used to wear a lot of it, and in many parts of the world, still do (downtown Detroit, anyone?). And even in merry old England, think of those Elizabethan gents. And Charles II? Perfume and jewelry galore!

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: Whose More Into Frag -- men or woman?

Quote Originally Posted by ninamichaela View Post
    because men don't wear makeup > scents are the next best accessory (if not the best ) to wearing a nice watch.
    Right you are, nina !

I have a lesbian friend and all she has to do is wear a tie and she gets the hot babes coming on to her wherever she goes.

Me? I'd wear a handcrafted Bowie knife on my belt and a leather glove with a live hawk perched upon it to attract the straight, hot ( and crazy) babes, but alas! The police would not be amused..

( A puppy dog on a leash might work, but parks are very limited environs. Besides my cats would get jelaous.)

So a massive macho diver's watch and frags it is . . .

*sigh*

Now for some math:

As of this moment 63, 730 hits on The Female Fragrance Discussion Forum
    The Male? 234, 641

I can't prove this, but believe we are far more vain than women.

Cheers,

Mario the Latin
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Post Thanks / Like

interesting thread here... shame some men give other men a hard time about collecting colognes... whats wrong with smelling good? jealous much?

Post Thanks / Like

I would say that men are just as interested in fragrance as women, but women are seen as the primary perfume buyers. We're the ones who have scents featured together with cosmetics, usually in the front entrance of department stores, where they're impossible to avoid. We have far more advertising dollars spent on women's fragrances. We're perceived as fickle (perhaps insecure?) to replace our current fragrance at every new launch. So, we have to continually be bombarded with SAs shoving sprayed cards in our faces every time we enter the store. The men's fragrance departments, by contrast, are usually set apart from other counters, and oftentimes manned by one single older gentleman. Those counters seem so low-key, discrete and RELAXING to me. I'm always so envious that women's perfume counters can never be like that.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm always amused when discussion turns to popular perceptions about the social acceptability or weirdness of men's interest in fragrance. There are a few reasons for this, but mostly because I'm just not interested in what random people might think about me based on this one interesting quirk. I have all sorts of interesting quirks, as do most of us, and it's funny to think that a segment of the population might draw stereotyped and/or incorrect conclusions about me from any of those quirks. In the aggregate, they make most of us quite interesting people, but they definitely don't define us. I don't wander around announcing that I have X bottles of fragrance, but that's no different from many other things I don't announce.

Although I probably have close to 50 bottles of fragrance, I don't think of myself as a collector at all. An accumulator, sure, but I don't have any of the impulses I associate with a collector (besides simple enjoyment of having things around that please me). I think of fragrances much as I once did neckties, when I wore those every day. As others have noted, men have relatively few ways to accessorize, compared to women. Women have geometrically more chances to play around with their public presentation than men do, and it seems only natural to me that some men might hone in on the few areas where we can mix things up from day to day--neckties, fragrance, wristwatches, cufflinks, fountain pens (and, for me, ink color), etc. I find that my impulses for buying a new fragrance and for choosing each day's fragrance are similar to those I had about choosing neckties. For me, there is always a little conceit in the background (so far, never fully realized) of "ah, at last, THIS will allow people to perceive me true fabulous essence." Many women probably have similar impulses, but these are spread across many more areas of choice and flexibility.

I actually suggested to a fragrance seller not long ago that she try out the "like buying a necktie" idea on men looking at fragrances, to help them see why they might need a second (or twentieth) bottle. Does anyone else see a parallel here?
    “They aren't connected . . . they aren't mafia. Not with names like Tuner Watson” - Jim Rockford