Code of Conduct

Default I wore Yatagan and got kittens!

A really weird thing happened tonight when I splashed on some juice from my sample vial of Yatagan... I was chllin' with some people in my neighbor's dorm room and this chick turns to me and says "wow, you smell really clean!" Let's leave it at this: I was about as perplexed by her comment as you were by the kittens thing.

Here's what I get from Yatagan: Celery, herbs, dirt, and a touch of dung. Not too clean if you ask me. One way or another though, I quite like it. I'm not sure why, but I do. I'm not sure I would count on it to impress anyone, but somehow, despite its oddness, it is easy to wear and quite comforting to me. I would definately put this on a list of scents that every scent enthusiast (read: BNoter) should try. Definately worth a look.

Default Re: I wore Yatagan and got kittens!

Quote Originally Posted by The_Giraffe
    ... but somehow, despite its oddness, it is easy to wear and quite comforting to me.
    Same here. I miss out on the oddness even. As long as scents like this are still on my wish list, I am quite relieved when a new scent year has nothing earth shaking to offer.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

TG: You and I have to agree to disagree on this one . Yatagan is just vile to me .

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by The_Giraffe
    A really weird thing happened tonight when I splashed on some juice from my sample vial of Yatagan... I was chllin' with some people in my neighbor's dorm room and this chick turns to me and says "wow, you smell really clean!" Let's leave it at this: I was about as perplexed by her comment as you were by the kittens thing.
    Are you sure the girl wasn't being Ironic?!

Quote Originally Posted by Lightninrod
    TG: You and I have to agree to disagree on this one . Yatagan is just vile to me .

Dan

I agree with you Dan, to me it's about the worst "fragrance" I've smelled!
    My Current Top 5: Terre d'Hermès | Terre de Bois by Miller Harris | Isfarkand by Ormonde Jayne | Brit for Men by Burberry | Grapefruit by Jo Malone

Wardrobe / Reviews

Sometimes during the drydown I get some clean notes as well from Yatagan. There is no way the top notes could be perceived as clean.

I also get the same thing from Agua Brava. Although the frag is generally a lot of harsh herbals, I sometimes get a soapy clean note out of it.
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

Yatagan was in its midnotes when I recieved the comment. I'm quite sure that she was being truthful rather than ironic.

Thrax

Perhaps I missed something here. Where did kittens come into this equasion? When I read this thread I wanted to hear about kittens. I feel like I got ripped off.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrax
    Perhaps I missed something here. Where did kittens come into this equasion? When I read this thread I wanted to hear about kittens. I feel like I got ripped off.
    Sorry Thrax. If it makes you feel better, my cat actually does like cologne. Sometimes when I spray it on she'll come running up to my room. Unfortunately, she is no longer a kitten.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrax
    Here ya go Jesse:

Our Ginger

She likes Coke

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

Thrax

Quote Originally Posted by Lightninrod
    Here ya go Jesse:

Our Ginger

She likes Coke

Dan
    Thank ya Dan, pretty cat ya got there. This thread is now complete.

I am so intrigued by this one. I have heard it described as meat and vegitables. Sounds like a weird, artistic scent. I need to find a sample!

I think Yatagan has sort of a sweet, "fleshy" smell in the drydown, but I also get this "distant-bonfire-on-a-cold-fall-day" note in it also. I can relate to the "meat and vegetables" thing about it and the smokey incense.

I've had nothing but compliments on it. It'll stay in my collection as long as it's on the market.

S

Stevolution, how would you describe the scent? More herbs or what? Would you or someone else spritz a little on and then do a play by play. I just want a mini review. I don't have access to any stores that sell it and would love to know.

Kelley

Quote Originally Posted by paintrman
    Stevolution, how would you describe the scent? More herbs or what? Would you or someone else spritz a little on and then do a play by play. I just want a mini review. I don't have access to any stores that sell it and would love to know.

Kelley
    I think the reason that Yatagan gets such a bad rep is that it has slightly poopy top notes. So you've got those, but after 5 or 10 minutes you're left with a really herbal accord that is pretty smooth rather than sharp. As the drydown progresses more and more vegetebles, with celery in the lead, get added to the herbal concoction. That is what I've got so far. I would probably be able to say a bit more but I've only worn it once.

For what it's worth, I did write a little review on the Basenotes Yatagan page:

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26121723.html

It more or less sums up my feelings about it.
    My Current Top 5: Terre d'Hermès | Terre de Bois by Miller Harris | Isfarkand by Ormonde Jayne | Brit for Men by Burberry | Grapefruit by Jo Malone

Wardrobe / Reviews

I love Yatagan- I love the harsh smokiness of the opening and the smooth herbacious dry-down.

Ah the 70's. When major houses still did in-your-face scents...

1976: Yatagan; Gucci Pour Homme; Grey Flannel; Polo
    (Givenchy Gentleman 1974)
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

ha, people have such weird perceptions of smells. My gf said Bel Ami was "clean, like body soap". What!?!? Never tried Yatagan though.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."