Code of Conduct

Thread: Gendarme

Default Gendarme

I've tried a great deal of fragrances and own quite a few. There are ones that are running the gamut from pretty nice to total mindblowers that can completely effect my mood and help convey complex emotions or evoke images in the mind. There's the ones that are complex beyond words that have complete changes and shifts from the topnotes to the drydown like Muscs Kublai Khan and Piper Nigrum to some linear ones like Baime that I really do enjoy. Regardless of what I've tried though, I've come across somewhat of a strong change in opinion on this one.

I've had this for a few years now and when I first got it, via swap, I didn't wear it a whole hell of a lot. However, I've found myself wearing more and more, I'm beginning to feel that Gendarme is underappreciated. I know that it is light and it isn't exactly a tour de force when it comes to sillage. I do feel though that its longevity is vastly underrated. As it is somewhat linear and doesn't develop a lot, that isn't necessarily a bad thing when you like what's going on from the git go. There's a fine line between boring and unassuming, but this one certainly sides strongly with the latter. It's becoming the closest thing I can find to a comfort scent.

It's clean, it will work in just about any situation (outside of clubbing or somewhere with a lot of smoke in it) and is one that I find myself wearing a lot more. I've had it for awhile now, but I know that when I finished off my first 50ml of it, I knew that it was one that I would need to buy again. This scent isn't one that takes itself too seriously. It advertises itself as a clean scent, and I've heard it referred to as an "anti-scent". I can see that and it accomplishes that quite well. With my job, I have to be careful what I wear to work and this one can be used without question and is one that I can always be assured to feel comfortable in.

In this case being linear will work to its advantage. Its longevity is greatly increased by being able to wear it on your clothes and the wearability isn't affected at all. It's one that is going to come off as non existent to your own nose, but it's one that I still do get compliments on late in the day. As this isn't really one that I wear to make an impression on anyone, it's still nice to feel at ease with what you're wearing on a given day and really is one to use if I need a pick me up.

I'm really surprised that this one isn't brought up more with newbies who are looking for an office scent or something that is unassuming. This is a scent that works in all weathers, in all situations and is one that I truly do feel. Regardless, I feel good when I wear it and it's one that I never intitially had pegged as a top 10 scent, but I find myself wearing it with great regularity and find myself not growing board with it. It's not going ot knock you off your feet, but not every situation calls for a scent that does that. I've developed quite an appreciation for this scent. There aren't going to be long odes to what imagery it conjures up, nor will it be one that is going to knock your socks off on first application, but with all the scents I've tried in the years, it's one that I seem to be getting a greater appreciate for with each wearing.
    Last edited by Paul G; 15th September 2006 at 02:45 AM.

Default Re: Gendarme

I evangelize this one ALL the time to anyone that will listen.

My decant is just about empty and I keep praying someone will let go of a bottle for cheap because I absolutely LOVE it.

Sephora had Gendarme on sale for 13.75 for a 4oz bottle and I missed that.

Then they had Gendarme 20 on sale for 18 and my credit card wouldn't go through. The next day when I'd cleared that up with the bank, they were sold out of THAT.

::sniffles::

Maybe it isn't meant to be!
    Last edited by DrBubba; 15th September 2006 at 02:44 AM.

I agree. Gendarme/Gendarme 20 are just plain great fragrances - long lasting, clean and fresh smelling, high concentration of natural oils, and they work in all sorts of situations.

Grabazzi is another excellent fragrance - a fresh oriental, and everything that Geir should have been.

I stocked up on these at the recent Sephora clearance
    -

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp
    I stocked up on these at the recent Sephora clearance
    I also stocked up on these from Sephora. I bought this blind trying to find something clean other than Geir, Clean, et al. Someone once wrote that Gendarme is the "anit Creed", which I totally agree with. Don't get me wrong, I own a few Creeds myself, but Gendarme is a constant. I can wear it to work, on the weekends, anywhere with exception if I'm going clubbing. Extremely underrated.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Regardless of how synthetic Gendarme may be to some people, I think it's one of the most perfectly balanced scents out there. It has an accord quite reminiscent of laundry detergent, yet at the same time the floral notes always seem to shine through.

Gendarme had me hooked from the get go.

Obviously, it's an extremely popular selection for office environs, very safe, very forgiving......However, that over the top clean, vibrancy is just the quality I find unquestionably addictive. Therefore, I find myself reaching for Gendarme regardless of the situation/setting etc...

After this meager supply is exhausted, I'll be pursuing the largest bottle available. Believe at one time Sephora had a 9.0 oz. aluminum refill. A member here in the distant past went on and on about it.......

Should have nailed one........or two...................

Wink Re: Gendarme

I agree with most of the above. Gendarme is a scent I wear when the occasion calls for something not too noticeable. It is a great "skin" scent.
    It has the tendancy to grow STRONGER on me as the day wears on. It is more pronounced, deeper, and sweeter at 5 PM than at 9 AM.
    It is clean and classy and appropriate for just about any sitch,

B.B.

Blog Entries

I too have just recently discovered the greatness of this one. As Paul said, it really is a "comfort scent" & I actually like wearing it when I'm doing homework. It's clean & soapy just like one of my other favorites, TM Cologne. As of now I still like TM Cologne more, but Gendarme certainly has its time & it's place, & I appreciate this one very much.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Paul actually pointed me in the direction of Gendarme about 2 years ago when I first joined Basenotes and I have never looked back. A perennial favorite of mine, Gendarme is THE safe scent. Contrary to the many comparisons to detergent and other household products, I find Gendarme wholy unique in the fragrance world. And I might add, wholy satisfying. It is almost by definition impossible to OD on and goes everywhere. I often even spray my sheets and pillows with it

Few fragrances have held a 5 star rating in my wardrobe from induction to present, but Gendarme is one of them.

How about Gendarme vs the later Gendarme V and 20?

No way and phooey, dudes, this gunk is not for me. I like people to be happy with their scents for sure, but this one makes me feel like a dryer sheet. I don't even use dryer sheets anymore because they wreck the edts I wear under my clean clothes--no way would I want to ramp up the dryer sheet appeal to the exclusion of my edt, which is what I think Gendarme does.

Not my baby, yikes. Also it smells unpleasantly hot, I think. That's it, it's more than just the dryer sheet, it's the whole laundry room experience--the heat seeping out of the cracks in the spinning dryer drum and off the white metal of the machine. And off the hot dryer exhaust coil that usually wiggles with the lint inside it.

You guys find this scent relaxing? Well, I guess some people relax in laundromats, but I'm usually impatient to get out of them.

We usually think of CdG's odeur pair for their exploration of the real smells of our lives in contrast to all the pastoral "nature" smells that perfumery is, but I think Gendarme takes it's place as a scent of our real world in its limitedness, and doesn't have the essential irony value that the odeur pair offers. Gendarme is what we've told the world we like, but it doesn't come back to tell us that. Instead it merely tells us we've got clean clothes.

I itch to put on yesterday's clothes when I've taken Gendarme for a spin. So, er, yeah...not my baby!
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

I like Gendarme (my SotD) because it is clean smelling, but does not have the nostril burning artificial sharpness of actual detergent which so many fragrances intended to be "fresh" and "clean" seem to include.

I think Gendarme is a beautiful fragrance in its own right and to define it as an "anti-fragrance" is to overlook the depth of its substance.

--Steve
    Just because it happened to you doesn't make it interesting.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

My sales thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/304...85#post2614885

Wanted: YSL Nu EdP

Quote Originally Posted by DustB
    No way and phooey, dudes, this gunk is not for me. I like people to be happy with their scents for sure, but this one makes me feel like a dryer sheet. I don't even use dryer sheets anymore because they wreck the edts I wear under my clean clothes--no way would I want to ramp up the dryer sheet appeal to the exclusion of my edt, which is what I think Gendarme does.
    We're not talking about Kouros?
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]MisterK / Vicomte de K / K[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio[/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by MisterK
    We're not talking about Kouros?
    Wouldya believe it? And we're not talking about the clean wonderful feeling I get from Guerlain's Vetiver either, although you're so right that my words could indeed be shifted over to either of those. Gendarme makes me think those words, and the others don't. Wish I could figure it out for sure though. Oh well. Words stay, but the mind and the nose live on. Er, kinda.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Quote Originally Posted by LushLife
    How about Gendarme vs the later Gendarme V and 20?
    V is very green and a nice one. 20 is a heavier version of Gendarme and I prefer it to the original. I snagged 2 bottles at $18 from Sephora when they cleared their stock. My poor bottle of Gendarme is sitting there wasting away because I really only use the 20 now.

I used to have a 4oz Gendarme, and at the time I wasn't all that impressed with it. I swapped it because i thought i liked Mugler Cologne. Well, I got sick of that and swapped it too; now I miss my Gendarme in all its clean, slightly bitter, unassuming glory.

This may sound weird, but Gucci Rush has been filling in that gap in my drobe. It serves the same purpose while smelling almost totally opposite. Like Gendarme, it is light, uncomlicated, very versatile, and linear on me. However, it does this with wood, not soap. I also was initially unexited about it, but found myself reaching for it more and more as the weeks went on. These two colognes are like brothers who were separated at birth and raised by different families, but their basic nature remained the same.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by pepse19
    V is very green and a nice one. 20 is a heavier version of Gendarme and I prefer it to the original. I snagged 2 bottles at $18 from Sephora when they cleared their stock. My poor bottle of Gendarme is sitting there wasting away because I really only use the 20 now.
    Gendarme V has a strong vetiver or civet note which is a bit disturbing to my nose. The least favorite of the Gendarmes.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by busterb
    I agree with most of the above. Gendarme is a scent I wear when the occasion calls for something not too noticeable. It is a great "skin" scent.
    It has the tendancy to grow STRONGER on me as the day wears on. It is more pronounced, deeper, and sweeter at 5 PM than at 9 AM.
    It is clean and classy and appropriate for just about any sitch,

B.B.
    Ditto. If you do find yourself going straight from the office to dinner with co-workers, Gendarme provides a great after-hours aroma that would be appreciated by a woman if you get lucky; ending the evening with her nose pressed against your neck.

:wave:
    There is no Nose....

i think it's kind of like drinking hangar one vodka straight: there's no mixer, it's not whiskey or gin, there are no fruity essences in it -- none of that stuff that many of us drink for in the first place. but if you give it a chance, there IS flavor there, and it's a beautiful and soft one, if somewhat subtle.

OR....

maybe i should quit playing with analogies and just have a drink!

(i like both Gendarme and Hangar One [in all of its flavors or non-flavors, as the case may be])

baald

Gendarme V is my least favorite of the three, I don't think the Vetiver note really blends in very well with the others.

But i'm a big, big fan of the original Gendarme, although it took me a month or two to come around to it. It's part of my office rotation for sure, and you can be guaranteed you're not going to offend anyone with it. I do think it has some evolution as it dries down, as the leather notes give it a bit more depth and warmth. It defenitely deepens over time when you compare it to something like Mugler Cologne (which I also love). I do think the initial few minutes is a touch too "obvious synthetic" and dry-cleaner-sheety, but it moves past that very quickly on me.

Quote Originally Posted by nvrlnd
    Gendarme V is my least favorite of the three, I don't think the Vetiver note really blends in very well with the others.
    I agree, V is my least fave, unless you include Grabazzi in with the lot and then Grabazzi wins. Or loses. You know what I mean.

I like Gendarme V a lot. I got back and forth about whether I prefer V or the original (haven't tried 20 or Grabazzi). I go through periods where I prefer one and period where I prefer the other.

For some reason, V reminds me of the smell of sex more than just about any other fragrance I've tried. In my mind, the V stands for Vulva more than Vetiver ;-). It's basically a clean scent, but has a very strong sexy/dirty undertone.

--Steve
    Just because it happened to you doesn't make it interesting.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

My sales thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/304...85#post2614885

Wanted: YSL Nu EdP