Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Serpent

Default Re: Maitre Perfumer et Gantier - Respect is due

Jean Laporte is the founder of L'Artisan and the head of Maître Parfumeur et Gantier. Laporte apparently made many of the original L'Artisan creations, including Mûre et Musc. It ran like a true artisanal house, it seems, with one perfumer guiding the house's product.

Quote Originally Posted by robyogi
    I've always assumed that's the reason. It's why I look at L'Artisan as two houses in one - new and old. (BTW, there was a thread on this a while back...may take some searching to find.) The ones that stand out as near copies are L'Eau du Caporal/Centaure and L'Eau du Navigateur/Eau des Iles. In both cases I think the MPG version is better, longer lasting, more complex.
    The Laporte and the post-Laporte era's.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by Serpent
    Jean Laporte is the founder of L'Artisan and the head of Maître Parfumeur et Gantier.
    What about Jean-Paul Millet Lage? Isn't he the head of MPG now?
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Serpent

Quote Originally Posted by knightowl
    What about Jean-Paul Millet Lage? Isn't he the head of MPG now?
    Hmm, maybe. I don't follow Maître too closely. But it was begun by Laporte, and many of its primary creation's are Laporte's.

Serpent

I'm seeing Lage listed as co-founder of the house.

My personal favorites in this line are George Sand, Soir d'Orient and Or des Indes.

About nine months ago I was chatting with a very knowledgeable sales associate at l'Art du Parfum. I was intersted in buying a bottle of Garrigue for my son but they had sold them all out. He let me know that they would no longer be replenshing their supplies of the MPGs that are marketed to men (red-topped caps) because the new head of MPG was reformulating them all and the new versions seemed "watered down". He suggested that when I bought it someplace else, I first check to see when that store obtained it from MPG.

If anyone is able to compare a recently produced bottle to one they had for at least a year, I'd be very interested in reading their impressions of any perceptable difference.

Quote Originally Posted by socalwoman
    the new head of MPG was reformulating them all and the new versions seemed "watered down".
    This wouldn't surprise me. When someone new takes over a company, they just feel the need to put their own stamp on everything, for better or for worse.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Just a heads up for MPG enthusiasts. There is a seller on ebay now with the option of best offer. You can get any MPG in 3 Oz, 1/2 Oz or sample vial by best offer. I just bought bottles of Santal Noble (how I have waited for this one on ebay), Route de Vetiver, 1/2 Oz of Secret Melange and a sample of Eau des Iles. I submitted the offer and he accepted the next day. Has a few negative feedbacks, but if you read them closely, they were not all that bad and he does not sound like a swindler. Also, when sending me the final invoice, he included his name address and phone number to be reached at in case of any questions. Just do a search on any bottle you're interested and it's easy enough to find.

I have two MPGs; Santal Noble and Bahiana and love them both. Can someone explain why Bahiana does not show up on MPG's site

Man, if someone see's it on their site, I will be VERY embarrassed as I looked thru it twice .

And yes, the caps suck !

Dan
    "We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."

Daily Wardrobe

Quote Originally Posted by Lightninrod
    I have two MPGs; Santal Noble and Bahiana and love them both. Can someone explain why Bahiana does not show up on MPG's site

Man, if someone see's it on their site, I will be VERY embarrassed as I looked thru it twice .

And yes, the caps suck !

Dan
    Sorry to do this to ya, but click on the women's frags link, and it's on the front page as a red box with the words "BAHIANA - New Product." It sits above the links to their other frags (the boxes for each category).

Quote Originally Posted by markc
    Just a heads up for MPG enthusiasts. There is a seller on ebay now with the option of best offer. You can get any MPG in 3 Oz, 1/2 Oz or sample vial by best offer.

I am sorry, I couldnt find this seller. Can you say who this is ?

Also, I recently tried Eau Des Iles ... a strange smokey, bitter coffee bean fragrance with a bit of vetiver in the drydown. Interesting concept, but I dont think I would be wearing this one.
    -

What a twit I am! Missed it completely .

Dan
    "We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."

Daily Wardrobe

How many of you guys have tried Or Des Indes? It`s quite divine, and although it is marketed to women, I find it very masculine (unisex, but more towards masculine side)

In fact, when I first tried this one, it was sort of a blind test without knowing which gender it was meant to...And then when I found out it was women`s, I was completely suprised because I could have sworn it was for men!

It`s amazing and a real treasure for all opoponax lovers! It is extremely honeyed scent with dark, powdery undertones. It`s almost gourmand I`d say, and definitely one of the best female marketed scents I have ever experienced.

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp
    I am sorry, I couldnt find this seller. Can you say who this is ?

Also, I recently tried Eau Des Iles ... a strange smokey, bitter coffee bean fragrance with a bit of vetiver in the drydown. Interesting concept, but I dont think I would be wearing this one.

Seller's store is frenchgiftdirect. I'd post the link buy my home computer is running slooooow. Sorry

Quote Originally Posted by markc
    Seller's store is frenchgiftdirect. I'd post the link buy my home computer is running slooooow. Sorry
    Thanks !
    -

There was a comparison to MPG and L'Artisan since both houses were the creation of the same person. Does anyone remember my favorite L'Artisan....Incroyable? It was composed of blond tobacco and plum. Anyone know of a similar MPG? I miss Incroyable a lot and think of it often.