Code of Conduct

Default Who's done winter scents in summer

Anyone else just not satisfied with summer fragrances? I really don't like the ones I have anymore. They are just not orriginal and pretty boring. I am testing out Gucci pour Homme today. It's going to get up to about 75 degrees farenheit.

I've tried Dzing! and Rive Gauche, even Lolita Lempicka in the heat and they all did wonderfly!

I was wondering if anyone out there has made a move to wear more winter oriented fragrances in the hotter weather? Which ones? How did it go?

Default Re: Who's done winter scents in summer

I guess I can say the strongest thing I don't buy into from the site is what season frags are suited for. This is probably the most harped on topic here and someone who just discovers basenotes would probably read these posts and in my opinion put too much emphasis on what they can and can't wear in any given season. I for one really don't like 99% of citrus or fresh frags, so if I were to take (nearly every) member's advice, I would only wear frags about 4 months of the year. Just my opinion, and I hope it doesn't offend anyone but nearly every day I see a post where it alludes to: can I wear so and so in the middle of summer. or would this frag be good in the fall. This topic to me is how much of you feel about Kouros and/or ebay GIT posts.

Let's start a new movement to do away with seasonal classifications. I too love heavy scents all year. I own citrus colognes but they just don't do it for me any more. Give me a rich oriental or a heavy patchouli scent in the heat of Summer anytime!!! I find that sweat breaks down the scent causing it to be more fleating. Why not wear them in the heat? I know they project more as we sweat but then just don't apply as much.

Yup, I do it all the time. Somehow, it feels different in the summer. I guess the number of sprays and more sweating gives a different degree of sillage.

Yes when in San Francisco, for as Mark Twain may have once said, "the coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco"

All jokes aside, why not!
    Scents are fleeting . . . memories are not. . . .

Blog Entries

I often wear winter frags in summer, for example Shalimar and Arabie and incense scents like Passage d'Enfer and Black Cashmere work wonderfully! But Finnish summer is pretty cool, the average temperature is approx. +20-25 C.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

I like Fahrenheit during the summer. Zino lingers pretty close to the skin so I didn't have a problem wearing it.

It is easy to get tired of citrus & fresh frags during the summer, just as during the winter I get tired of heavier frags. Better to mix it up as much as feasible!

I don't think the summer/winter bifurcation matters much when I'm in an air conditioned/heated place most of the time.
    K
    In rotation: Greenbriar (new), Silver Mountain Water, Dunhill for Men (1934), Acqua di Parma Colonia, Habit Rouge EDC, Ho Hang, B*Men, Agua Brava

I wear "Winter" scents in summer. I always use a farily light hand with scent anyway, because I don't like to gas people out, and I work in a building that is kept so cold (because of the computers) it could keep meat.

So on days in July where it was getting nigh unto 100 degrees, I was at work wearing a sweater and MKK or Ambre Sultan.

Sometimes I like wearing "Summer" scents in winter as well. I think the lemon/bergamot part of Hadrien or the citrus of Eau Sauvage can really sing in cold weather.....

Musk Ravageur, Vendetta, Rive Gauche, Azzaro PH, l'Homme Sage and others all get some play in the summertime.

I've never distinguished between heavy and light perfumes that way. I apply whatever I feel is just right for the time. Even the so called 'winter' scents work well in summer.. and I'm talking about 40C temperatures!

I also do it all the time. I couldn't help it: remember I live in Brazil! So, There's almost no winter here...

Wow, I'm very surprised this many of you felt that way too. Mister K brought up a very strong point. Most people spend most of their time in temperature controlled environments anyway. If I had a job where I worked outside for most of the day, maybe I would buy in a little to the emphasis on temps for frag selection, but still not to the extent some do now.

Blog Entries

I too wear all my frags year round. However, I do enjoy wearing the richer frags in winter & lighter in summer. Like, I like wearing Clinique Happy in the summer w/ shorts & a t-shirt, and Pi under a comfy sweater.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

YEP

Wore Zinnia Floris (flroral oriental) all summer amd it did just right !!!

Laurent
    Invisible Power

Glad to see some responses. I did not mean to bring up any issues of seasonal fragrances. It is easier to say winter and summer to immeditatly give most people a general idea of what I was trying to get across.

I wore Gucci pour Homme today and it was fantastic! It's 80 degrees farenheit and it's just lovely. I have a frisbee game soon so we'll see how it smells when I'm letting a lot more out of my skin.

More responses. I need more.

I used to stay away from heavier scents until a friend said to me, "why not wear them? they may take on a different shape?" I tried it and now wear all of my heavier fragrances.
    If I accept you as you are, I will make you worse; however if I treat you as though you are what you are capable of becoming, I help you become that”--Von Goethe

top favorites: bois d'argent, havana, jaipur, amber sultan, fumerie turque, chergui, l'homme sage
    willing to swap/sell everything but my lutens. shoot me a pm

I've tried, but summers here are just too humid. What I will do is put on a heavier scent right after a shower before bed, when I can be sure of the AC.
    There is no Nose....

I have always wore winter scents in the summer as well, even outside with no air-conditioning! but in general, i use them inside where it's fresher.
    Still i have gone jogging wearing stuff that could smother anyone deep in the summer's heat!. anything from opium to obsession to a*men.
    yeah and i'm a bit of a masochist as well, so that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by EnvYuS
    Anyone else just not satisfied with summer fragrances? I really don't like the ones I have anymore. They are just not orriginal and pretty boring. I am testing out Gucci pour Homme today. It's going to get up to about 75 degrees farenheit.

I've tried Dzing! and Rive Gauche, even Lolita Lempicka in the heat and they all did wonderfly!

I was wondering if anyone out there has made a move to wear more winter oriented fragrances in the hotter weather? Which ones? How did it go?
    I've worn Dzing! several times during the 90+ farenheit heat wave that's only recently broken. I wasn't modest with it either and it smelled great, I thought. No complaints or dirty looks from anyone either.

Generally I dont think that it is a problem to wear winter scents in the summer, I have worn Zino and Paul Sebastion PS as a change up in the summer for many years. As long as you aren't going to be sweating heavily and use them lightly there shouldn't be a problem, although the risk is a bit higher. I remember geting a bit over zealous with Basala this summer, thinking that it was going to cloudy and somewhat cool but when I walked outside the sun hit me dead in the chest where I applied the cologne. I was rather embarassed when the teller behind the full glass partition asked me what kind of cologne I was wearing.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterK
    I like Fahrenheit during the summer.
    So do I! Especially in the evening

I often wear heavier frags in hot weather. They take on a totally different character. The heat brings out the best in a frag.

Quote Originally Posted by EnvYuS
    I am testing out Gucci pour Homme today. It's going to get up to about 75 degrees farenheit.
    I've done GPH in the heat. 1 spray, thats all it takes. It works, but the fall is the heart and soul of that lovely fragrance.

While I think it's true that some fragrances have their best brought out of them by the cold, if that makes sense, it's also definitely true that the heat can make some apparently 'wintery' scents SING. Yup, I'm thinking Shalimar here, especially in the lighter concentrations, all that dirty citrussy radiance, God, it's just phenomenal!

I hate to be Mr. Negativity here, but i tend to aviod heavy scents in summer, period. By heavy, I mean syrupy and thick, not necessarily warm. GPH certainly does fine in any weather because it isn't sweet and cloying. MR, on the other hand, is intolerable to me. I classify scents by "moist" and "dry" smelling. Pi is moist, MR is moist, A-men is moist. Heat makes them steamy, inescapable, and intolerable.

Stuff like GPH, and Bel Ami, Fahrenheit, and Rush are dry. These are usually considered fall/winter frags around here, but heat doesn't affect them in the least, and I love them in warm weather. Overall, I try not to arbitrarily classify my scents for season. The only reason I know certain types don't work is because I have tried them and they failed

I think that citrus scents can have some value in cool weather too. TdH is really nice on a brisk day. A cool wind accents the refreshing nature of the citrus. But fresh scents only have this effect on days when I'm happy that its cool, not dreading the very thought of setting foot outside.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."