Code of Conduct

Default Lacoste 1984 -- In What Sense Soapy?

I'm a big fan of frags in the clean, soapy realm -- TM Cologne, Bulgari, Gendarme, etc. Well, many on this forum and in the Directory reviews describe Lacoste original (1984 version -- square green and white bottle) as soapy, creamy and fresh. Based on these reviews I bought it blind. Now, it's a nice frag, but soapy? In what sense? To me it's a sharp citrus assault followed by a drydown to pure sandlewood and not much else. Are people associating the sandlewood with soap? My experiece was so different from others that I e-mailed P&G (the parent company of Lacoste) to see if my product was outdated and perhaps the top notes were off. The box contains a batch code and, based on my code, P&G said mine was made in March 2006 -- plenty fresh. Finally, I'm not stuck on associating only citrus with soap -- for example, I can instantly see how Paco Rabonne is "soapy" and even Grey Flannel. What's up with the Lacoste? Let me know what you folks think.

Default Re: Lacoste 1984 -- In What Sense Soapy?

It reminds me of some soaps that I have had in my bathroom, it must be the lavender I think.
    Last edited by incedal; 20th September 2006 at 01:16 PM.
    "...but I also can't prove that mushrooms could not be intergalactic spaceships spying on us." Daniel C. Dennett

Top 5
    Heritage 2. Antaeus3.Kouros 4. Drakkar Noir 5. Montana PDH

Post Thanks / Like

I also don't understand the term "soap smell".How does soap smell like?Actually, I think soaps don't smell anything, that's why they're all scented.
    For me Lacoste is minty and full of herbal clean smelling notes.

Quote Originally Posted by RCavs
    I also don't understand the term "soap smell".How does soap smell like?Actually, I think soaps don't smell anything, that's why they're all scented.
    For me Lacoste is minty and full of herbal clean smelling notes.

True -- soaps have a light or nonexistent scent naturally. But most of us have an image of what "soap" smells like, such as TM Cologne and Gendarme, each quite different, but I see what people are talking about. With Lacoste Original, I don't see the soap connection. That's why I'm looking to see if it's just me (and perhaps you).

Come on guys, help me out here. In addition to the "soap" comment, I also don't get the Drakkar connection some have mentioned. Some enlightenment please.