Code of Conduct

Default Who Of You Was In Colonial Drug On Sat?

As I was walking into Colonial Drug in Cambridge's Harvard Square (the store famous for having "no common scents" and selling Knize Ten), the owner was ringing up a customer. As she handed him his bag and he turned to leave, she said to him "and thanks for telling me abut that "Basenotes", I'll be sure to look that up."

This was saturday, about 4:30
    Who Are You???

Default Re: Who Of You Was In Colonial Drug On Sat?

It was me! Visiting from Australia. I'd read the reco in the Boston, MA post, and remembered the name, but truth be told, I actually stumbled on the place while I was lost in Harvard / Cambridge!

And what did I buy?......

a little bottle of Bois du Portugal! I would have bought a bigger bottle if they had it.

What lovely service I received here. She made up about 6 samples of various things for me to take home - Creeds, Carons, really good stuff - even before she knew I was going to buy anything. Really class service!

And the Bdp? Well, I'd sprayed it on my arm a couple of times at Niemanns Dallas, and was actually starting to think "What are they all carrying on about - what's the fuss?". Then all of a sudden I spray it on at Colonial, walk around for a while, lie down on the grass at Harvard, smell it a bit, and go, wow, this stuff is really good. (Was it just the academic aura? ;-) )

A gentleman cologne smell with creaminess, woods, spice and lavender.

Strange, and somewhat worrying, that one can experience a fragrance two totally different ways in the space of a week or so.

So isn't that freaky that you should be arriving just as I am leaving, from halfway across the world?

Ged

PS I smelled Knize Ten for the first time and rate it highly!
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

You can say that again!

Quote Originally Posted by scentinell
    You can say that again!

I think he did!

Is the world getting smaller or is Basenotes spreading faster?

Damn Joel, you should have stopped him to talk!

Quote Originally Posted by The_Giraffe
    Damn Joel, you should have stopped him to talk!
    Damn Dave I was about to say that to J_C, you beat me to it .

Yeah why did you not stop him and ask, I would have
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"

The lady in question is Cathy. You can tell her I sent you, but I have talked to her a dozen times. 617-864-2222. They carry a lot of the old-world and hard-to-find scents. I sent her some Divine and some Montale and some Serge Lutens samples. I found her from www.shavemyface.com, and she has a great selection of shave supplies, balms, brushes, you name it.

Sam

Nice to have almost met you Ged!! Use that BdP in good health!

I would have stopped you to introduce myself, but you were out the door before I realized what was happening.

I like your Armani T-shirt, by the way

Nice to have almost met you too! Did you buy anything?

Ged

PS I like the shirt too. It'll be spring / summer when I get home so I'm trying to pick up some pima cotton.
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

Ah, fond memories. That's where it started for me in 1985 (with the very exotic 4711), and where I got the Agua Lavanda that carried me through my 20s. Last time I was back, a few years ago, it looked unchanged. I think there were more empty spots on the right wall than there used to be, and it seemed to me Knize Ten was one of those. Good to hear they still sell it. Pity I wasn't clever enough to buy that one 20 years ago.

Wow! What an interesting thread. Really, what are the chances of running into another Basenoter by chance? Specially since we're spread out all over the world.
    Very cool.
    Last edited by knightowl; 21st September 2006 at 04:46 AM.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

(I've deleted the dup posts)

What an amazing story! (and i'm pleased people use the city guides too!)
    Currently wearing: Gardénia by Chanel

Cool story! Thanks for sharing.

Like so many are posting - a great story, and I really enjoyed it.
    Anya McCoy - http://anyasgarden.com/
    Best of the Best awards - Perfume: MoonDance, StarFlower, Amberess, Light, Royal Lotus and as
    Project Leader: Outlaw Perfume and Mystery of Musk
    Basic Perfumery Course with lifetime access to the website - http://perfumeclasses.com
    America's First Natural Perfume Line 1991
    First Artisan Perfumer Voted in as member of the American Society of Perfumery 2013