Code of Conduct

Default Problem With Omnia

My first two bottles of Omnia smelled great. Top notes of black pepper followed by Chai tea spices, then a long-lasting, sweet sandalwood. My third bottle is terrible--overwhelmed by black pepper. And when it burns off, nothing is left but a faint sweetness. I doubt my nose is to blame because I finished my previous bottle only a month before, and I could smell it perfectly well.
    It was probably outdated, even though I paid top-dollar for it from a brick-and-morter retail establishment. However, I am disappointed about its instability. It can't be more than three years old, having been launched in 2003.
    Does anyone have a suggestion for a replacement scent?

Default Re: Problem With Omnia

Hello purplebird,

I wore Omnia on Monday and received so many compliments that it just really makes me sad that this happened to you. I really wonder why it went off, but I've seen places (brick-and-mortar) especially where lighting system might also work as their heating system and so you just know that those fragrances in the displays are 'cooked' for the lack of a better term. I am always especially careful when purchasing from stores with those big, well lit displays... I always worry about how well preserved the 'juice' is. So if I were you I would return that bottle back to the store and order one online. I know that a lot of the e-stores don't have fancy displays but the fragrances are warehoused and at least kept in a dark cool place.

On the other hand, I too was wondering what would be a scent close to Omnia... (if I even needed a replacement), and so far I've come up short.

Best of luck!
    "Of the five senses, the sense of smell is incontestably the one that best conveys a sense of immortality."

Salvador Dali

I second the notion that the lighting heated up the perfume. It's surprising how often this happens. Also, we have had many heatwaves this summer, all over the northern hemisphere. So many bottles got "cooked", either in transit to somewhere (an overheated truck, tarmac, you name it) or in the stores, as most stores in Europe have no a/c, and it varies a lot in the US. For example, most US shops have a/c but their warehouses do not. So I think there's a lot of cooked juice out there. The bottle of Aquazur I bought this year was (to put it diplomatically) really weird. Toasted tea??? Well, it still works as a wardrobe freshener...kinda.

Blog Entries

My mom likes warmer, spicier frags. She really likes Omnia, and she also wears Hugo Deep Red a lot. HDR smells AMAZING on her!!!
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

I will look for a sample of Hugo Deep Red. Do you know an online retailer who sells samples?
    Thank goodness for places with generous samples, like Aedes. I am sampling sandalwood fragrances from them right now.
    The first is Etro Sandolo. He described it as a "pure sandalwood" smell. It smelled similar to Omnia's base, long after the pepper has burned off and it has heated up on one's skin, and this is my favorite part of Omnia.
    However, the sweetness in Etro Sandalo comes from amber, not from chai tea spices as in Omnia. Amazingly, it smells WARM, like actual, physical heat. It is FBW. Next I will try Lorenzo Villoresi Sandalo, MPG Santal Noble, and Diptique Tam Dao.
    It seems that Omnia has some competition.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by purplebird7
    I will look for a sample of Hugo Deep Red. Do you know an online retailer who sells samples?
    I sure don't. But Hugo Deep Red is pretty easy to find. It's @ most department stores, & I've even seen it at Target for like $25.

Oh good, Target. I'll check there. Our department stores are terribly limited in their selection. That's the Midwest--most people don't care/don't know about anything different. I am such an anomaly here.

Blog Entries

Let me know if you find it, and what you think! I was @ TJ Maxx today & found Hugo Deep Red body wash & body lotion, both which were VERY inexpensive. I picked those up for my mom for Christmas .

i got my deep red at ebay for about $10. too sweet for me though.
    "Where should one use perfume?" a young woman asked. "Wherever one wants to be kissed," I said. - Coco Chanel