Code of Conduct

Default Some thoughts on Bond No. 9...

I just won bottles of Great Jones and Eau de New York off Ebay. They're getting more and more affordable. I paid a total of $114, including shipping, for both. This will make around 9 Bonds that I have experienced. Some thoughts so far:

My keepers:

Central Park: Easy number 1. Sweet and green.
    Riverside Drive: Fahrenheit light. A little Bvlgari Aqva there, too. Nice, manly scent.
    Hamptons: Great scent, it's a tarter Creed SMW.

The discard pile:

New Haarlem: Way too heavy and sweet. Over-powered me.
    Chez Bond: Creed GIT, but not as good. Not worth keeping.
    Wall Street: Just never clicked. Weird on me.
    Bleecker Street: Nice scent, but "poof" it's gone in a hurry.

I hope I like the new ones I'm getting. I have to say I have kept more Creeds I've tried than Bonds I've tried. So far it's 3 out 7 for Bond.

I'd still like to try Little Italy and HOT Always.

Serpent

Default Re: Some thoughts on Bond No. 9...

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW
    I'd still like to try ... HOT Always.
    Just get a bottle of Givenchy Gentleman. H.O.T. Always shamelessly plaigiarizes that fragrance.

Little Italy to me smelled like a fresh bushel of oranges. I normally hate fruity frags but this one I could stand.

Hot Always to me is very much on the masculine side compared with other Bonds. I loved the patchouli-leathery feel to it.

Since you just bought eau de ny, I hope you have a better impression of it than I did. To me I visualized pretty quickly (rare for this to happen), a soiled diaper sprayed with Cool Water.
    Last edited by markc; 2nd October 2006 at 03:55 PM.
    Currently wearing: Black by Bulgari

That is so cool 'cause I am so into soiled diapers!

My interest in the other 2 I mentioned is further piqued...

I have tried many of them, and quite a few of them plagiarize Creed or other fragrances. I only found the following interesting:

1) Fire Island: nice sunscreen lotion smell. Although some say it is a copy of another scent.

2) Chinatown: A bit too rich and sweet, but good and original nonetheless.

3) New Haarlem: Best of the bunch. Best gourmand fragrance. Never too cloying or sweet, the citrus notes blend in well with the coffee notes. Far superior to the over-the-top A*Men.
    -

Scent of Peace and Wall Street are my two favorites of this group, but I can't seem to ever find either at a reasonable (less than $150) price. Once a local high-end store offered the Bond line at 20% off, but the original price was so inflated that either choice would have still cost me $170 with the sale. Humph.

Quote Originally Posted by markc
    Since you just bought eau de ny, I hope you have a better impression of it then I did. To me I visualized pretty quickly (rare for this to happen), a soiled diaper sprayed with Cool Water.
    Interesting. lol. I adore the top notes of Eau D NY but I thought the drydown resembled the odor that that pink lotion gives off...the same pink lotion that they use for babies. When I sampled Ed'NY I had thought the fragrance was gone but when I went to the gym at the end of the day all of a sudden I caught that smell and thought it was a bit girly and, well..juvenile. I would have gotten it except for that refreshed note at the end of the day. Thank god the soiled part of the diaper reference didn't resonate!

New Haarlem is the best of the bunch but its way too heavy and cloying if you do any more than one or two sprays...and then it is sublime.

I enjoyed Great Jones but I enjoy the Signoricci that Scentemental turned me onto much more and they are very VERY similar and satisfy the exact same berth in my wardrobe so I didn't buy it.

I have Fire Island but the only time I ever wear it is actually when i go to the beach! lol. And to one or two after beach parties I went to during the summer. I think its fun but it has a limited appeal and should never be someones ONLY Bond, IMHO.

For various reasons--including their history, marketing and my impressions when I tried a number of their debut creations--I don't even bother sampling the Bond No. 9 fragrances when I see them. A prejudice, to be sure, but one I can live with.

Quote Originally Posted by John
    Scent of Peace and Wall Street are my two favorites of this group, but I can't seem to ever find either at a reasonable (less than $150) price. Once a local high-end store offered the Bond line at 20% off, but the original price was so inflated that either choice would have still cost me $170 with the sale. Humph.

Have you looked at ebay? It is quite easy to find much cheaper than retail for bond on ebay, and from highly rated sellers too (without the worry of buying Creed on ebay)
    Currently wearing: Black by Bulgari

I tried Fire Island not to long ago and like it BIG time. I plan on buying a full size bottle soon. Also, i have had full size bottles of Nuits de noho and Chelsea flowers. I would love to buy another bottle of chelsea flowers but its so darned expensive....the entire line is. It was over a year ago i had it and everytime i wore it to work a woman i worked with then would always say how soothing it was to her. She absolutely LOVED it.
    Awesomeguy

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp
    I have tried many of them, and quite a few of them plagiarize Creed or other fragrances. I only found the following interesting:

1) Fire Island: nice sunscreen lotion smell. Although some say it is a copy of another scent.

2) Chinatown: A bit too rich and sweet, but good and original nonetheless.

3) New Haarlem: Best of the bunch. Best gourmand fragrance. Never too cloying or sweet, the citrus notes blend in well with the coffee notes. Far superior to the over-the-top A*Men.
    I agree with you Zztop, Chinatown and Fire Island are gorgeous and sepcial (in my opinion). I am still working my way through this line and trying as many fragrance as I can, away from NYC and so they are not fully accessible so to speak (though The Perfume Shoppe does carry a few of this line).

Now, I can't claim to have smelled everything that is out there, but the both Chinatown an Fire Island had something original to offer. I only got introduced to this line very recently (after my visit to NYC), and I got a full bottle of Chinatown, which is totally making my fall this year... I am waiting to get a sample of New Haarlem in a swap from a generous B-noter, can't wait!
    Coffee, when it's done properly, is quite amazing in a perfume.

Oh, yes, one more scent that I tried and liked so far was Nuit de Noho. It's very similar to Angel but lighter and fruitier (in this case it's a good thing), and there is pineapple in it. It also reminds me a bit of 100% Love (which is an outstanding perfume in my opinion).
    Ayala Moriel, Perfumer
    Ayala Moriel Parfums http://www.ayalamoriel.com/
    Visit my SmellyBlog: http://www.smellyblog.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Ayala
    Oh, yes, one more scent that I tried and liked so far was Nuit de Noho. It's very similar to Angel but lighter and fruitier (in this case it's a good thing), and there is pineapple in it. It also reminds me a bit of 100% Love (which is an outstanding perfume in my opinion).
    Yes, I like the pineapple top note in Nuits de Noho...makes an otherwise decent gourmand fragrance better.

Another good one is Chelsea Flowers - although I am not that well versed in florals, I found Creeds Spring Flower and Love in White to be better (I sampled all three in the same time span)
    -

Serpent

Quote Originally Posted by Ayala
    I am waiting to get a sample of New Haarlem in a swap from a generous B-noter, can't wait!
    If you have Yohji Homme anywhere nearby, you don't have to. New Haarlem is a complete and thorough rip of that scent. So New York is L'Or de Torrente - its bright fruit, pink roses, and coffee - just with chocolate added.

Quote Originally Posted by Serpent
    If you have Yohji Homme anywhere nearby, you don't have to. New Haarlem is a complete and thorough rip of that scent. So New York is L'Or de Torrente - its bright fruit, pink roses, and coffee - just with chocolate added.

Do you know what fragrance Fire Island is similar to ? I cant seem to recall the name of that fragrance....something like "Beach by your house.." etc...
    -

I've come to like two of them. Wall Street I like better than Millesime Imperial, mainly because it comes across as a little darker to me, maybe a bit leathery. And New Haarlem I like to smell but doubt I would wear.

Hamptoms is probably my next favorite, like a slightly grassy SMW. But I like the muskier SMW better.

Great Jones I did not like at all. I think it's a Paco Rabanne clone.

Riverside was too ordinary, classic manly stuff, and didn't really stand out.

Little Italy was too short-lived and one-dimensional.

Chinatown, too floral.

Bleecker Street was nice for a while but then indistinct, sweet, watery.

West Broadway was kind of the same: sweet, light, watery.

Scent of Peace was a huge disappointment, smelled like grape kool-aid to me.

H.O.T. Always was the worst - patchouli and laundry dryer sheet.

Looks like I need to ty Central Park. I don't have much interest in Fire Island though...no need to smell of tanning lotion!

ZZTOPP, Fire Island is very similar to Bobbi Brown beach. They have different floral notes, of course (Fire Island has tuberose and beach has jasmine), and FI has cumin, but they are both soapy, salty skin scents.

I have Bleecker St. and Fire Island. I had Chinatown and one day could not stand it, so I sold it. Bleecker St. lasts forever on me and the only drawback is that horrid synthethic violet foliage. Hours later, when that dries off, it becomes vanillic and quasi gourmand. Doesn't smell natural in the least. Seems self-conscious, deliberate, and trying way too hard.

Fire Island has grown on me following a dislike for the amount of laundry powder this scent contains.

Have not tried the others.

So far I've tried five: Fire Island, Little Italy, Chinatown, Bleecker Street, Riverside Drive.

I now own Fire Island and Little Italy. Fire has taken me some getting used to. Sampled it, liked it. Bought it to wear to my 20th year HS reunion, wore it once, thought I totally hated it and regretted getting it, then tried it again and now love it. I've been waiting for a scent with tuberose in it that I felt I could wear. Yes, it's got limited wearability, but for someone who has a hard time finding scents for warm weather, it's a good find for me.

Little Italy was hard to pin down. I sampled it the same day I bought Fire Island and thought I'd finally found a citrus scent I like. Yes, it smells like oranges, but the way the notes combine it reminds me of cilantro. I was able to score a bottle at a good price, and when I wore it my first time I was disappointed in how long it lasted and wondered if I'd gotten a watered-down fake. Then I realized that I liked it best this way, "in the background." If it were any stronger, I think I would quickly grow to hate it. So, for me, this is a good "close to the skin" scent to wear.

I'm really keen to try Chinatown again. At first I thought it would be too flowery and sweet for me, but I remember it having a bit of sharpness that I liked. Riverside Drive...I wouldn't know how to describe it other than it smelled ordinary, run-of-the-mill.

I really really really want to like Bleecker Street, and I just can't bring myself to it. It just does not smell good on me at all, and I get no cinnamon from it whatsoever. My partner liked it on me, though. I'm going to have him try the sample I got to see if I like it better on someone else.

I'm also interested in trying Great Jones Street, HOT Always, Central Park, Nouveau Bowery, West Broadway, New Haarlem and maybe Wall Street.
    Life is a banquet...and I got botulism! -- Me

who carries it in la?? for sampling purposes of course. . .

After hearing a lot about Bond here, finally I had the chance to discover this house and test myself some of their juices...

Bleecker street: very nice scent, long lasting and pleasant violets and greenery on a warmer suede sheer base with woody hints. Thumbs up!
    Great Jones: woods, woods and more woods... dry and heady, with a spicy touch. Too much "Bois de Portugal" like for my tastes. Thumbs down!
    Little Italy: nice zesty-fruity juice with a sparkling orange and lemon sparkling start veined of bitter green citrusy leaves that settles down to a bold clementine pulpy heart with whiffs of woody undertones. Long lasting and pleasant enough. I wouldn't probably buy a bottle but, well, to be honest: thumbs up!
    Gramercy Park: nice green juice with clorophillic floral touches of lily of the valley in the open air surrounded by a deeply greener, drier woodier base. Long lasting too. Thumbs up!
    Chez Bond: agreed with some similarities to GIT, at least for the woody part. Lacks of any interesting counterpoints in it, as nice as a bit boring. thumbs down!
    H.O.T. Always: just a cinnamonic overdosed version of Givenchy Gentleman. Well I have to say GG is better because too much cinnamon dimmed a bit the beauty of patchouli over animalic hints. thumbs down!

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp
    Do you know what fragrance Fire Island is similar to ? I cant seem to recall the name of that fragrance....something like "Beach by your house.." etc...
    I believe you may be thinking of CB I Hate Perfume's At The Beach 1966.
    www.cbihateperfume.com/CB1966.html