Code of Conduct

Question Moisturising skin before perfuming

Hi, I'm new to "taking fragrances seriously" and would like to start learning more. I've read that you should moisturise skin before applying fragrance, so that it has something to cling to and will last longer. But what kinds of moisturisers work best? I put on a fairly neutral body lotion today before applying fragrance, but still it faded within an hour or so. Would a tiny bit of petroleum jelly work better? How about E45 cream and those types of things?

Also, what makes a scent endure on some people than on others? Is it just the oil in their skin? Will it last longer/smell more in warm climates?

Default Re: Moisturising skin before perfuming

jojoba oil works well. Some have claimed that olive or almond oils work as well, but they may contribute/alter the frags that you apply upon them.

Lots of factors contribute to how fast a scent disappears, such as skin's oiliness, pH, etc.
    Scents are fleeting . . . memories are not. . . .

Hi, elmsyrup,

and Welcome!

Kiehl's Creme de Corps lotion is one I've used that seems to work well.

zeram1 is right, there are lots of factors involved in a frag's apparent disappearance. Don't know if you saw this thread, but there are several comments in it that I found helpful:
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=186521

Thanks, that's really helpful. Sadly I love 'Artisan Parfumeur, and they're notorious for disappearing fast.

Quote Originally Posted by elmsyrup
    Thanks, that's really helpful. Sadly I love 'Artisan Parfumeur, and they're notorious for disappearing fast.
    Welcome!
    You may be new, but you clearly have taste!

With my skin, I also tend to burn off scent pretty fast. I'm sure the jojoba is a good choice... I also found some lotion that seems to help with this... it's Olive and Aloe Moisturizer made by Kiss My Face (yes, that's a real company, which makes good quality, largely organic products). I'm not sure it has made it across the pond, though.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Minty S
    Kiehl's Creme de Corps lotion is one I've used that seems to work well.
    Hello. I'm wondering if the Creme de Corps / Light are scented or not? Thanks!

Zomad: Kiehl's Creme du Corps is virtually unscented -- i.e., to my nose, it has a very light fragrance that disappears after application. I just looked at the label and it doesn't say anything about being scented or unscented. In my experience, it doesn't interfere in any way with frags.

I, too, have been challenged by my skin not retaining fragrance. I always have sprayed it on my wrists.
    For some reason, about a month ago, I broke with my own tradition and sprayed the outside of my forearm. My arms have some hair on them. Not too much. But, it made a huge difference.
    It really changed it for me.
    I now use moisturizer (Kiehl's as suggested here...thank you Minty S) and then spray on my outer forearms. I don't know if this will help others here, but it sure works for me. The difference is noticeable.
    I have sprayed outer and inner forearms to test this theory. And the underside of my arm does not retain the fragrance. While the outer does.
    It may just be my own specific skin chemistry. But maybe this will work for somebody else here. I sure hope so.

Someone on this board recently wrote that while oiled skin increases the longevity of a fragrance, it also makes them "quieter". That is apparently how perfumes work: the wetter the skin (water, sweat), the more fragrance you project - which is - apart from the hype - one reason for all those summer versions. You sweat, you have wet skin, you project the scent. Oil is as far as I understood going precisely against this mechanism, so you might have a trade off there, between longevity and projection/sillage. But overcoming that could well be as easy as just using a few sprays more.

There was a thread on BN regarding the best places to apply perfume and someone mentioned the tendancy for wrist application to wear off more quickly than the back of the forearm. Also, it was suggested that the application of oils or moisturisers to enhance the skins fragrance retention should become a regular habit and not just done prior to the application of fragrances.
    To my best recollection, Jojoba oil was highly recommended in the afore-mentioned thread.

Yes I find that when I use a moisturing lotion before I apply fragrance.. it does last longer. Have you tried layering before?
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS