Code of Conduct
    smeller

Default Is the reformulated Santos still worth?

I smelled a paper strif of it about a year ago, but did not pay the proper attention. So, I have to admit I really don't know what's about Santos.

So, is the reformulation still worth? Or should I try something closer to the older version? If so, what do you suggest?

Default Re: Is the reformulated Santos still worth?

Having never tried the old version (and probably never will), I recommend the new one by default. It smells a bit like M7 with the heft of Z-14. It's A-OK by me.

Cool Re: Is the reformulated Santos still worth?

Smeller: My humble opinion of the Old Santos is that while it does not open up as upbeat and loud as the reformulated new, it is far more interesting, complex and has very good longevity.

The new isn't bad, though, and there's also a 'new concentree'--which I'd rank in smell at the bottom of all three, but I understand why they made it, as the new is very short-lived.

Frankly, I'd pass on both of the 'newbies'. They did not improve the formula, they skimped on quality.

----------------------

The old reminds me a little bit of Yatagan, but a smoother and more elegant version. A power scent if there ever was one.

Buy it if you can find it.

Cheers,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

My dim memory of the older one is that it had more punch to it.
    The new one is respectable, but not as interesting.

I just wore Santos for the first time as my SOTD yesterday. I liked it a lot. It's kind of herbal and green at first but turns kind of sweet once it dries down, but retains an herbal element. Sort of like a cross between Yatagan a sweeter, woodier fragrance.

I'm not sure if I have the old one or the new one. Can you tell by the bottle?

noggs

smeller

My concern abour this one is that no one seems to refer to the reformulated version as a masterpiece, in the same way as it happens with Van Cleef & Arpels, Antaeus, Yatagan, and othes "bold" scents.

Van Cleef & Arpels, Antaeus, Gentleman and others were reformulated also, but I'm pretty sure they keep most of its old characters. Based on what I read here, it sounds like Santos is just one of the worst reformulations around. Is that true?

I just don't want to spend my money on it if it's not of the same height of those others mentioned...

The original Santos Concentree was one of my first frags and one of the ones I emptied the 100mL bottle (okay, there's a tiny bit left, but only because I've been hoarding it).

In both the old and new I prefer the concentree to the regular version. The newer version is not as rich as the original but it still has the oomph (bold, masculine) like the original.

I think I found my deal on bigdiscount.

wrt what the bottles look like:
    http://community.basenotes.net/showt...ghlight=santos

Quote Originally Posted by smeller
    Based on what I read here, it sounds like Santos is just one of the worst reformulations around. Is that true?
    Santos de Cartier new version is very much the same as the old other than the drydown isn't as complex as the original. It seems as if there is somethings missing from the deepest notes and this is what effects it's longevity. However, the top and middle note's performance are very much in tune with the original.

The reformulation is probably the least noticable of any reformulation that I've compared. The new Santos is not light years apart from the original like Obsession is.

I just managed to pick a small bottle of the original and it smells great. Compared to the reformulated version, it is similar but the drydown is a lot more exotic.

Regards

Seen the old version today at TK Maxx, hesitated but didn't buy it, it was only £24.99....maybe I should go back!!
    Current Favourites: Touaregh -Il Profumo/ Le Vainqueur- Rue Rance/ Versus Uomo -Versace/ Sculpture -Nikos/ Acier Aluminium - Creed/ Santal Noble - MPG

Mine is a tester bottle of cocentree which is a black/grey bottle with golden, sort of, neck so i guess it's the old one. The scent is very strong/ woodsy and smokey, a bit like Yatagan but much thicker and stronger. So far the strongest of any scent I have used, it beats Yatagan and Kouros combined.

I'm extremely happy with the newer reformulation though I've never been able to test the older formulation. I've tried the regular and the Concentrée and prefer the Concentrée.

As far as the difference between the old and new bottles, I believe but could be wrong, that if you look at the basenotes listing for Santos, that has the picture of the new bottle and Santos Concentrée has a picture of the old formulation bottle. Maybe someone who knows for sure could confirm this for me.
    In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane - Oscar Wilde

smeller

Quote Originally Posted by mugler View Post
    Mine is a tester bottle of cocentree which is a black/grey bottle with golden, sort of, neck so i guess it's the old one. The scent is very strong/ woodsy and smokey, a bit like Yatagan but much thicker and stronger. So far the strongest of any scent I have used, it beats Yatagan and Kouros combined.
    I'm impressed. Would be ok to say that even the new Santos (the regular one, not the concentrée - can't find it here) is similar to Yatagan? I never tested Yatagan, I'm very curious about it, and it's impossible to find it where I live. Would Santos give me at least a glimpse of it?

Quote Originally Posted by smeller View Post
    I'm impressed. Would be ok to say that even the new Santos (the regular one, not the concentrée - can't find it here) is similar to Yatagan? I never tested Yatagan, I'm very curious about it, and it's impossible to find it where I live. Would Santos give me at least a glimpse of it?
    While I feel that Santos and Yatagan appeal to the same type of person, they are very different fragrances. Yatagan very much reminds me of Evergreen forests in late fall where as Santos is much more a Lavender dominated fragrance. I would describe Yatagan as much closer to the Polo Green fragrance, though less refined. When I say less refined I don't intend this as a criticism of Yatagan, I mean less refined in a very good masculine way. I actually really love all three, Yatagan, Santos and Polo.
    Last edited by oolong; 1st April 2007 at 06:06 AM.
    In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane - Oscar Wilde

I don't get much lavender out of Santos, but its probably just my nose or it's hidden?( I dont see it in the notes pyramid on the bottle either). Anyway back to Yatagan and Santos, I wouldn't say they are that similar, I'm just putting them in the same category, to which belongs others scents like polo, Azzaro PH or even BdP and Heritage. The broad category of dry woodsy/smokey old school scents. I'm just saying Santos and Yatagan will be more closely associated than lets say, Santos and Antaeus or M7 would be. Santos is thicker, has hints of sweetness, tends to gets more heady than powdery, while Yatagan is sort of powdery at the end, more animalistic and has absolutely no sweetness/freshness or floral qualities whatsoever, according to Caron website, and its true because I own it also and even though I don't find it too loud or brutal or anything I would say Yatagan is a rather stern/rigid scent.