Code of Conduct

Default Need (well want) designer scent

I want a nice cologne that I can wear this winter. I dont like vetiver nor too powdery of a cologne. I did like Yerbamate though. Thinking of something $70 or less, with good to great sillage and longevity.

Here is what I have: Creed MI, Creed GIT, MPG Eau Des Iles and SL Fumerie Turque.

I am thinking of Dolce and Gabbana Pour Homme or Armani Code. I like tobacco/woods/spice and smoke but dont want all my colognes to militate to one genre. May try Acqua di Gio.

Any thoughts? Also, where to get them at a great price if you do make a suggestion

Sam

Default Re: Need (well want) designer scent

For winter, in an affordable designer scent, I'd suggest:

Cartier Santos
    Chanel Antaeus
    Gucci PH
    Guerlain L'Instant

Can't go wrong with any of these, all high class, and easily available so you cn try before you buy.

Ged
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

Did you try YSL Opium yet? Much nicer than D&G ph imho. Though a bit less suit-suiting, if that's what you are looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by finsfan
    I want a nice cologne that I can wear this winter. I dont like vetiver nor too powdery of a cologne. I did like Yerbamate though. Thinking of something $70 or less, with good to great sillage and longevity.

Here is what I have: Creed MI, Creed GIT, MPG Eau Des Iles and SL Fumerie Turque.

I am thinking of Dolce and Gabbana Pour Homme or Armani Code. I like tobacco/woods/spice and smoke but dont want all my colognes to militate to one genre. May try Acqua di Gio.

Any thoughts? Also, where to get them at a great price if you do make a suggestion

Sam
    Hi Sam,

I can recommend Chanel Egoiste which meets your qualifications in regards to woods and spice, sillage and longevity. I think Egoiste is good all year long, but I think it is especially nice in the colder weather. There is kind of a spicy rose quality to Egoiste that is quite attractive and it has a wonderful sandalwood drydown. Chanel controls the price pretty tightly for all of their fragrances, but you can certainly find Egoiste for less than $70. Egoiste is one of my top five all time favorites!

(Note that I am NOT talking about Chanel Platinum Egoiste, which is a totally different fragrance even though it shares the name "Egoiste")

Rockford

Quote Originally Posted by Rockford
    Hi Sam,

I can recommend Chanel Egoiste which meets your qualifications in regards to woods and spice, sillage and longevity. I think Egoiste is good all year long, but I think it is especially nice in the colder weather. There is kind of a spicy rose quality to Egoiste that is quite attractive and it has a wonderful sandalwood drydown. Chanel controls the price pretty tightly for all of their fragrances, but you can certainly find Egoiste for less than $70. Egoiste is one of my top five all time favorites!

(Note that I am NOT talking about Chanel Platinum Egoiste, which is a totally different fragrance even though it shares the name "Egoiste")

Rockford
    I should add that, in the U.S., Chanel Egoiste is very difficult to find at a brick and mortar store, and your best bet to purchase it will be at Chanel.com, Gloss.com, or another online retailer. Or, at a Chanel boutique, if you live near one.

Serpent

Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme is too ubiquitous a fragrance for me. It's just everywhere and has become what one could term "dead common." It's a victim of its own success.

I second Égoïste and L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme.

If you get somewhere it gets really cold and wet in the winter, Hermès' Rocabar would be fantastic. It's got fresh green evergreen notes over a spiced woody-oriental base. It's a big, lush fragrance with a roaring fire in the base. Of course, if your winters are just on the slightly cooler end of room tempreature (as they are here in L.A.), you won't get much wear from this.

Rochas' Lui is a hard scent to describe. I've read it has a note of industrial glue in it, which explains the harsh bitterness underpinning the vanilla base. But it works, giving the scent the texture of a rough wool jacket, something one can wrap oneself up in but still smell very manly.

Bel Ami has the heat of tropical India buried in a refined wood-paneled, leather-upholstered framework. It's the fragrance definition of the Anglo-Indian aesthetic, like an English gentleman's club in Bombay. The cumin and other spices blend with the oriental notes and faint leather to make something simultaneously exotic and classically familiar.

If it works for you, the original Comme des Garçons eau de parfum is a marvelous scent. It transcends the incense fragrance tropes, standing out with rich cedar and honey notes. It's not at all fussy or cluttered, just simple and elegant, with wood and spice and florals balanced in perfect proportion, building to a warm, cozy glow.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockford
    I should add that, in the U.S., Chanel Egoiste is very difficult to find at a brick and mortar store, and your best bet to purchase it will be at Chanel.com, Gloss.com, or another online retailer. Or, at a Chanel boutique, if you live near one.
    As a sidenote...

I emailed Chanel awhile back, and they no longer officially carry the 1.7fl oz size in the United States. So when you are purchasing online, the 1.7fl oz will definetly be 'old stock,' although the age will be hard to determine.

Ah, Rocobar and Bel Ami, now why did I not think of that. Chanel Pour Monsieur was a bit powdery, and I think my daughter loved Chanel Egoiste or the Platinum, which I think they carry either at the Memphis Macy's or Dillards. Ill toss the Dolce but keep the Armani in the mix with the Chanels and the Hermes. We used to have a place that carried Hermes locally, and maybe I can get them to send me a sample from the Hermes website.

What do you think of any of the Trumper scents, say like Royal, or GFT, or even English Fern? Sillage or longevity less with the Trumpers?

Sam

re: Trumper's - I own GFT and Sandalwood. Both are fantastic and both would meet your desire for sillage and longevity. However, GFT is a pure citrus - I'd hold out until the weather is warming up rather than cooling down. Sandalwood is smooth sandalwood with a little spice. May be just what the doctor ordered.

You mentioned Armani Code, which I tested just yesterday. The top notes nearly sucked me in, but the drydown was a bit disappointing. It wasn't bad per se, but it opened with a flash and a bang and went out with a wimper. There are too many good orientals out there to settle for Code, IMO.

Try Van Cleef pour homme
    -

Quote Originally Posted by Serpent
    Bel Ami has the heat of tropical India buried in a refined wood-paneled, leather-upholstered framework. It's the fragrance definition of the Anglo-Indian aesthetic, like an English gentleman's club in Bombay.
    Vivid description, for a bending unit.
    There is no Nose....

Who cares if a fragrance is popular?? I've been wearing D&G pour homme for two years now and have never smelled it on anyone else. Great quality, excellent sillage and longevity and it won't offend as long as you don't overapply. It's popular (in other areas apparently) for a reason...........it smells great! get it at scentiments.com

Others (try before you buy):
    Escada Magnetism
    Cristobal pour homme
    Ungaro III

Thrax

Time and time again I say. Opium PH EDP

Thrax: The Opium, is that the same one that is in like Macy's? If so, I can try it on with say the Chanel Egoiste and maybe Armani Code and Dolce this weekend.

What is the link to the site where I can request say samples of Hermes Rocobar, Equipage and Bel Ami? Id like to try those.

As far as Trumper Sandalwood, I am not too keen on straight sandalwood. Some of it at times can be too sweet.

If Rocobar smells like I remember, I may get that anyway.

Anybody think Yerbamate can be worn in winter? I know it has a bit of powder but it is one of the better powder scents without smelling like baby powder or being too vanilla (Habit Rouge got like french vanilla ice cream on me)

Sam

Hermes wouldn't send me samples when I called, but you can find them at scentedmonkey.com for $3 each. They have Egoiste, too. Click on "try before you buy" at the top of the page and after you select your samples and add them to your cart, click the box to send USPS for free shipping, if you live in the US. They do ship internationally, too.
    Last edited by beachroses; 21st September 2006 at 04:53 AM.

Serpent

Quote Originally Posted by OlfaOmega
    Vivid description, for a bending unit.
    I just came here with a simple dream: A dream of killing all humans.

Serpent

Quote Originally Posted by finsfan
    The Opium, is that the same one that is in like Macy's?
    Almost certainly no. Opium pour Homme is not currently distributed to retail in the U.S. outside YSL boutiques. Department stores do not carry it any longer. The Opium you'd find there is the original scent for women.

Okay here are my three cents. The fragrances that you list that you like all have a rounded thickness. Soft at the edges and deep. They also have a bit of sweetness to them. I think you should try HM in edp if possible. It's widely available, will garner compliments (especially from women), and has amazing sillage and longevity. Of those mentioned I give a big thumbs up to Egoiste and L'instant.
    m

I don't think Macy's carries Opium PH EDP. Actually, I'm not sure if they have the Opium EDT. Macy's also does not carry Egoiste.

Thrax

Almost certainly no. Opium pour Homme is not currently distributed to retail in the U.S. outside YSL boutiques. Department stores do not carry it any longer. The Opium you'd find there is the original scent for women.
    As Serpent said, your not likely to find this one in the stores. But I hear that the women's Opium is a damn fine scent for men as well. I look forward to getting to try it.

Serpent

Quote Originally Posted by Thrax
    But I hear that the women's Opium is a damn fine scent for men as well. I look forward to getting to try it.
    Opium should be reserved for the ladies. Its opening is masculine, but that powdery sweet, soft, voluptuous drydown - it's for the womenfolk.

I will third Chanel Egoiste (not Platinum). Fantastic, unique, long-lasting, great sillage and an amazing drydown.

Also, Tam Dao. The dryest sandalwood ever, very cold weather fragrance. My 11 year old son said it smelled like "the jungle"

I just came here with a simple dream: A dream of killing all humans.
    Ah, the best line ever from a show that produced many great lines

Check out Trussardi Umo

I have an order coming from England and can order a Trumpers cologne that will not add to the shipping cost and will run me about $50 for 3.4 ounces or so. Choices are Skye, Marlborough, the Fern, and Sandalwood. Anybody have comments on those 4? I have read the reviews and the Sandalwood seems longest lasting, and Skye the shortest. Marlborough seems like the notes I like but it is said to be soapy - the Trumpers Spanish leather was really soapy on me.

Comments on any of these four? I have to order it today if I am going to get free shipping

Sam