Code of Conduct

Default John Varvatos: Dark, smoky enigma

I have a problem with John Varvatos. It continues to thwart my attempts to mindlessly classify its quality with broad generalizations and sweeping assumptions.

In the first few minutes of application, it comes on too strong and clumsy, and it strikes me like the dozens of rushed, unimaginative juices that some designers throw at us as if they think we’re idiots.
    (Rant)
    As if we're a flock of stupid pigeons or seagulls; frantically, angrily clamoring for any piece of stale bread they choose to so condescendigly flick our way.......
    (End rant)
    *Ahem* Then the tamarind and other notes come out in the middle, and the chaotic nature dries down, and it strikes me as a notable, creative but moderately-priced scent, like many of the YSLs we like here; destined to have a loyal following.

What’s the nature of the Varvatos discussion here lately?

There is no Nose....

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: John Varvatos: Dark, smoky enigma

Are you talking about the new Vintage or just John Varvatos. Because the original is NOT dark and smoky. Most people will probably tell you that its sweet, fruity, and average. Well, that's my take. I haven't smelled Vintage yet.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz
    Are you talking about the new Vintage or just John Varvatos. Because the original is NOT dark and smoky. Most people will probably tell you that its sweet, fruity, and average. Well, that's my take. I haven't smelled Vintage yet.
    I was actually referring to the bottle as smoky, not the juice. Sweet, fruity, and average is a pretty good description though. I really like tamarind, and that note is what keeps it on my radar.

I didn't realize there was a Vintage version. Did it just come out?
    There is no Nose....

Just came across this description of Vintage on Nordstrom's:

Vintage, the special-edition fragrance by John Varvatos, reaches back to move forward with a sensibility that is both old and new. Though rooted in the signature John Varvatos fragrance both olfactively and aesthetically, it is distinctly unique with a rugged authenticity and enduring appeal.
    That has got to be the lamest fragrance description ever. Maybe the lamest description of anything ever.
    There is no Nose....

Better, from CosmeticsMall.com:
    This fragrance has a blend of Ashwood, Tonka Beans, Santolina, Madras Wood, Quince Paste, Oak Moss, Silver Absinthe, White Lavender, Marine Fennel, Cubeb Peppers, Tobacco Leaf, Juniper Berries, Jasmine, Orris Root, Patchouli, Fir Balsam, Suede Accent
    There is no Nose....

Post Thanks / Like

^ That actually sounds pretty good. I've heard (probaby from someone around here) that it's basically an old school woody version of the original, with toned down fruit notes. I should go smell it.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."