Code of Conduct

Default What to get a Wiccan

What would you suggest buying a 35 yr old woman who owns a magic shop.
    I'm looking for something Mystically Delicious.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: What to get a Wiccan

Goth Rosary frags immediately came to mind. I've never actually gotten to sample them, but I intend to. I'm intrigued . I've been to the site a few times, & there stuff is pretty reasonably priced!
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Serpent

Kingdom or Messe de Minuit immediately come to mind. The first smells very heavy and lush and somewhat rotten, like how I imagine a vampire's den would smell. The latter is cold, aloof, sort of mildewy, like an old catacomb. Black Cashmere could work, too. The smell of that makes me think of a lone shaman out in the cold desert night.

Of course, a lot of wiccans are all into nature, so something woody-twiggy might be in order. And there's always Lancôme's Magie or Magie Noire.

Thrax

I'll have to go with Serpent on this one. Messe de Minuit is some deep, dark, scary shit! I find it to be quite masculine though. Might I suggest Monk by Mike Storer, its a superb frag. With extremely good longevity, and an extremely meager price tag. It is masculine but, to my belief, wearable for a woman.

Post Thanks / Like

Voleur De Roses
    -

Post Thanks / Like

My experience has been that a woman being a Wiccan does not tell me much about her taste in fragrances. There is no Wiccan women's section in the in the fragrance stores I've been in. One common thing that I have noticed about Wiccan women is the LOVE scented candles, even more then most women. What I would do is figure out what scent she favors for her candles and get a fragrance based upon that.

Thrax

WHOA!!! It hit me! Stampede! Poison by Dior.

Post Thanks / Like

Think Black Cashmere is a great suggestion. Messe de Minuit, also. Avignon is another good one, in fact, any of the scents of the CDG Incense series would be good. CB I hate perfume Burning Leaves is a nice, soft, smokey scent with a sweetness of a winter's night bonfire. The CB Musk is something, too. It's quite dark and ghastly: not an once of the sweetness that's found in MKK and Kiehl's. It's dry, almost petroleum like in the opening, but it's surely says "animal" when it dries alittle. I think it's meant for layering, although it could be worn by itself by those who are daring.

There is also (if you can find them...) Ghost: Deep Night. It comes in a cresent moon shaped flacon. There is also a darker version called "Deepest Night".

S

Post Thanks / Like

What about Salvador Dali Pour Homme. The PERFECT satanic ritual scent. And, yes, i know wiccans are not satanists but it would be a good scent for a wiccan nonetheless. And dont think just because it has "pour homme" tacked onto the end that it is unwearable for a woman. It is very androgynous and would smell awesome on a wiccan woman.
    Awesomeguy

Mystically Delicious...Costume National's Scent Intense?

Post Thanks / Like

I say get her a gift certificate and let her pick it out. I hate giving fragrance as a gift, unless I know for sure it's something they already use and like.

Oh, and just because she's Wiccan doesn't mean she's going to gravitate to the incensey, Goth stuff. So you never know.
    Current faves: CdG White, Amouage Dia, Millesime Imperial, Miller Harris Terre de Bois

Post Thanks / Like

I'd check out Bandit edp, Molinard's Habanita, and Diptyque's L'Ombre dans l'Eau.

Bandit edp is a fantasy of the odd part about flowers and tobacco. It reminds me of the depth and completeness of Bel Ami, but done with flower stems crushed instead of flower pedals (I don't mean that Bel Ami has flower pedals, by the comparison I mean that they have the same kind of big aura and presence with their ingredients). Heck, have the wiccan check out Bel Ami too, it's a beauty. But Bandit edp is damp crushed flower stems instead of the dry ashtray and old leather in the edt.

Habanita is tobacco, iris, and powder. Great, and subtle. I've compared the smell to Creed's vintage Tabarome, and I still stand by it, but Habanita is darker smelling. Very Morticia Addams. In the middle notes I get a slight sniff of a white liquor too. Just the smoke of it though, and its very cold.

L'Ombre dans l'Eau is nature, shadow, cold water, and rose. Who can beat a rose? Everyone loves a rose. This one doesn't fail. I can't say anything else about it--too wonderful. Perfect for when the cold temperatures start to come and the sun goes out earlier in the evening. The smell that makes you think of death since you won't be able to smell it when you're not here anymore.

--Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Thrax

Quote Originally Posted by DJB
    I say get her a gift certificate and let her pick it out. I hate giving fragrance as a gift, unless I know for sure it's something they already use and like.

Oh, and just because she's Wiccan doesn't mean she's going to gravitate to the incensey, Goth stuff. So you never know.
    Jesus man, thats takin the easy way out.

Post Thanks / Like

I second Costume National Scent Intense. I'd buy it myself if I did'nt have so many frags already. I gotta start using up more.

S

Ormonde for women or maybe something from BPAL.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Thrax
    Jesus man, thats takin the easy way out.
    Maybe so. But I think it's better than getting them something that they don't like and end up returning or exchanging ; )
    Current faves: CdG White, Amouage Dia, Millesime Imperial, Miller Harris Terre de Bois

Opone: roses, spices, incense. I gave some to a goth girl once and her best friend told ther that she smelled "like a witch."

The other angle is something nature oriented, with a garden or forest aroma: Philosykos, Mechant Loup...

Scratch that: Chanel No. 19
    Last edited by Carlos; 22nd September 2006 at 04:33 AM.

Serpent

This is all well and good, but let's have a challenge: What is the perfect fragrance to buy for a Presbyterian?

Post Thanks / Like

let her try czech&speake no. 88 or comme des garcons guerilla2
    si doux, tout musc...

Thrax

Quote Originally Posted by Serpent
    This is all well and good, but let's have a challenge: What is the perfect fragrance to buy for a Presbyterian?
    Presbyterianism is a form of Protestant Christianity, primarily in the Reformed branch of Christendom, as well as a particular form of church government. Its primary tenets include the Five solas: Scripture alone, faith alone, Christ alone, grace alone, glory to God alone. It is practised by many (although not all) of those Protestant churches which historically subscribed to the teachings of John Calvin (known as Reformed churches). Presbyterianism traces its institutional roots back to the ScottishReformation, especially as led by John Knox. There are many separate Presbyterian Churches in different nations around the world. Besides national distinctions, Presbyterians also have divided from one another for doctrinal reasons, especially in the wake of the Enlightenment. Theologically, Presbyterianism has a strong emphasis on the sovereignty of God in all things, including human salvation, a high regard for the authority of Scripture, and an emphasis on the necessity of personal conversion by grace through faith in Christ Jesus alone.

**material deleted by moderator. Following rule #9, Avoid hot topics: "Posts/signatures that involve religion are expressly forbidden on this board." I know the thread is itself about scents for a religious choice/practice, but the deleted material crossed the line of taste and "hot topic." Thanks, --Chris**
    Last edited by DustB; 22nd September 2006 at 01:23 PM.

Messe de Minuit or Shalimar, most definitely.

Post Thanks / Like

What I did for my daughter on her 16th Birthday was to get her a collection of different samples and told her to test them out and told her I would get her one fragrance of her choice. She had the fun of testing out a bunch of different fragrances plus the joy of getting the fragrance she wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by Caoleus
    Mystically Delicious...Costume National's Scent Intense?
    I 2nd this.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If she happened to be into Santeria Royal Bain de Caron (fka R B d Champagne) would be The One.

http://www.basenotes.net/indutry_new...indecaron.html
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Post Thanks / Like

Gee, I've known some Wiccans and they're just people with all kinds of tastes. It would be impossible to speculate about what they'd like and dislike. The idea that a Wiccan will necessarily like something dark and mysterious or anything other categorization is absurd.

In particular, I know a beautiful (and very hirsute) girl who practices Wicca. She has spent time smelling many of my fragrances. Her favorites are Tea for Two, Diptyque's Eau Lente and Balenciaga Pour Homme. But she also loves Chanel No. 5 and many others of all kinds.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pluran
    Gee, I've known some Wiccans and they're just people with all kinds of tastes. It would be impossible to speculate about what they'd like and dislike. The idea that a Wiccan will necessarily like something dark and mysterious or anything other categorization is absurd.
    Absolutely right. I regret my use of dark and mysterious -type scents to answer the question. Absurd is right.
    --Chris.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Lagerfeld's
    Sun Moon Stars!

I second Ormonde for women and also Avignon by CdG. I really associate Wiccans with forests more than incense though, so maybe Rainforest...

I think that Wiccan might be more interested in scents with different energetic attributes - i.e. oils designed to invoke different energies of elements, planets, etc. She may be even interested in Moon Breath or one of my Zodiac oils. If you want her to try these, email me and let me know what her zodiac sign is, and I will send you a sample of it, as well as Moon Breath.
    Ayala Moriel, Perfumer
    Ayala Moriel Parfums http://www.ayalamoriel.com/
    Visit my SmellyBlog: http://www.smellyblog.com/