Code of Conduct

Question Finest Serge Lutens frag for men !!!!

Am goin to take my first step in niche fragrances and would like to seek the expert opinion of the experienced basenoters.

I would like to order a few Serge Lutens decants...The question is which ones? I ran through the serge lutens directory on basenotes and there are so many of them i just got lost in the myriad of fragrances.

Please note that whatever you suggest..it should have good longevity...i know longevity is subjective however still there would be some frags that last longer on most people...

Thanx for all the help

gupts

Thrax

Default Re: Finest Serge Lutens frag for men !!!!

Chergui baby!!! Chergui all the way!!!

Daim Blond. Amazing fragrence that lasts 12 hours on me.

Why Chergui? (just curious).

It was SOOOOOOOOO bad when I tried it.

Quote Originally Posted by joellark
    Why Chergui? (just curious).

It was SOOOOOOOOO bad when I tried it.

Chergui - if you can find it.

I understand why some people wont like Chergui - with its prominent hay note, it shares similarities with Dzing! (cardboard) and Bulgari Black (rubber), both of which have a sizeable contingent of anti-fans.
    -

Chene is more masculine than Chergui if that is a criteria.

The two best that I have tried: Chergui (I have a bottle) and Gris Clair (I have a decant). Both rock and are in my top 5 of all time.
    Two that I haven't tried but that I would love to try and that sound great: Fumerie Turque and Chene.

Joellark, I swear you didn't give Chergui half a chance because it is not sooo bad. It's cool if you don't like it, but there is nothing about it that I could imagine recieving such criticism.

Anyways, Chergui is a sweet honey fragrance with some hay and sandalwood. Beautiful, sexy, powerful, longlasting, perfectly unisex.
    Gris Clair is an amazing lavender scent. The beginning opens with an icy cold lavender blast. I detect ashes and a touch of lemon in there as well. The opening isn't bad, but it is a bit abrasive. Fortunately, the scent cools down a bit and gets a bit sweeter. Lavender really takes over and is gorgeous. Best lavender scent I've ever smelled. Sillage is decent, longevity is good. This too is perfectly unisex.

Gupts, I would like to commend you on your decision to delve into the Lutens line. It is imo the best line in existence. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Its all a matter of opinion on which ones work the best for men.

But i would say the following are the most masculine:

Chene
    Santal de Mysore
    Muscs Koublai Khan

Also, i think Gris Clair and Encens et Lavande (possibly Borneo 1834 and Vetiver Oriental as well) both lean toward the masculine side.

OK gupts, I'm in a similar position over the last year trying more and more niches in Paris, Aus and now US. So here's my advice on Serge:

As well as decants, why not go to Mecca Cosmetica and try them for free? There is a store in Melbourne. I've tried quite a few of them in the store in Brisbane as well as overseas.

As a generalisation, all the Serge frags are huge, thick, powerful beasts and you will have no problem with sillage and longevity. They tend to be a little sweet. None of them fit the mould of a classic men's fragrance. As long as you approach them with those thoughts in mind, you should enjoy them.

It just so happens that my two favourites are the aforementioned Daim Blond and Chergui.

Today, I bought a bottle of Daim Blond at Barneys Boston. It is actually for my wife, but I would be quite comfortable wearing this compelling, entrancing fragrance of soft apricot iris and suede. Sounds funny - you need to smell it.

Chergui was the other on my wish list, and the SA was generous enough to give me a nice sized decant of it. The decant will probably last me forever as there will be few opportunities to wear it in Brisbane weather - you will have more in Melbourne. It is a very thick heavy sweet scent, but in all the sweetness it seems to avoid the cloying yuckiness that some common synthetic gourmands / sweeties have - it's just a glorious sweet decadent combintion of honey and sweet spices. To give you an idea of the ridiculous longevity of this fragrance, I sprayed it on at about 3pm, came home, SCRUBBED my hand to get rid of it because i was changing fragrance, and have been out all night. It is now midnight, and I can still smell it, albeit faintly, after scrubbing it off 6 hours ago.

Cedre is nice. Personally I don't rate Ambre Sultan but it does have it's fans.

For me, I can admire these as great works of art, but I can't see myself wearing any of them on a day to day basis. But then, I am very conservative. So it depends on what your tastes are like, and living in colder Melbourne helps.

ged
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

I recommend Chergui with its beautiful combination of hay, honey, rose, leather, tobacco, amber, musk, and sandalwood. Chergui’s note of hay is like liquid sunshine that is green and warm, uplifting and grounding all at once. Chergui is so wonderfully warm and attractive that it is difficult to keep myself from repeatedly raising my arm up to my nose to inhale it. I love the sillage that emanates from my body when I wear this fragrance. Chergui is one of my all time favorites, and it is definitely very masculine and long lasting.
    Last edited by Rockford; 22nd September 2006 at 03:49 AM.

Overcome By Fumes

Fumerie Turque or Cuir Mauresque.

Quote Originally Posted by Ged

As a generalisation, all the Serge frags are huge, thick, powerful beasts and you will have no problem with sillage and longevity. They tend to be a little sweet. None of them fit the mould of a classic men's fragrance. As long as you approach them with those thoughts in mind, you should enjoy them.
    Thats exactly why this house will never be no.1 for me - just not what I am looking for.

Its got some great offerings though. And I still have to try 6 more samples that I ordered.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by docluv45
    Fumerie Turque or Cuir Mauresque.
    Excellent advice. Both of these are for now exclusive line items that will be tougher to find. These are my two faves. Also excellent from the exclusive line, Encens et Lavande - very masculine and not at all a big, thick scent, streamlined and cerebral. Vetiver Oriental is great as well. A very unique take on vetiver with iris and cocoa.

As for export line, for "manly" in the traditional sense, try Gris Clair (lavender and ash, thick and sweet) and Miel de Bois (which is not nearly - not nearly - as insane as the reviews on this site would lead one to believe. Once the topnotes fade, it's all wood and honey and wearable in any weather). Ambre Sultan for herbs and amber that dries down nicely. Chypre Rouge if you like thick, bittersweet scents (if you like Goutal's Sables, you'll likely like this). I find Chergui to be too much of a good thing. Daim Blond falls to the feminine side in my opinion - sweet suede and apricot.

A couple of other Serge Lutens fragrances that are very masculine, very beautiful, and also have good longevity are Fumerie Turque and Chene. At this time, I have decants of both of these fragrances, and I am seriously considering purchasing bottles of each. It should be pointed out that Chene is almost completely wood, wood, and more wood. Fortunately, it is a very beautiful wood.

Un Bois Sépia - wood notes, vetiver, patchouli, oakmoss, opoponax...
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

I'd definitely encourage you to put Ambre Sultan on your list. Very masculine with a marvelous, long-lasting drydown. Gris Clair is a tremendous, thick lavender--nothing to consider if you don't love lavender, wonderful if you do.

I've got to second Robyogi and list my favorite SL--Vetiver Oriental.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Quote Originally Posted by jerd
    Daim Blond. Amazing fragrence that lasts 12 hours on me.

I also vote for Daim Blond. Its not as "crazy" as most of the SL's are and its a good one to ease you in. Yeah, I like smelling different from everyone else too, I just don't need to smell like burned tree root mixed in with maple syrup to accomplish that. Daim Blond is simple yet elegant. Lasts quite a long time on me, as most SL's do.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

If you're looking for an introductory SL scent that's easy to like, then I would include Daim Blond and Douce Amere to the list. Their longevity is above par though their sillage is rather low. They stay pretty close to the skin on me.

Quote Originally Posted by gupts
    I would like to order a few Serge Lutens decants...
    I would strongly suggest that you add MKK to you list of fragrances to try from this house.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

My personal favorite is Daim Blond, but Chergui and Gris Clair are close behind. If you want something lighter and greener, Douce Amere. I wish I had the temerity to wear Miel de Bois, but alas, I haven't worked up the nerve!
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

IMO the finest SL scent for men..?

Hmm. It depends who I would like to please. If I`m in the mooooood for looooooove with someone else, then I wear MKK.
    If I`m alone and willing to feel myself more alive than for a long time, then I wear (the best SL scent) Miel de Bois for it`s evocative, surreal qualities.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB
    I've got to second Robyogi and list my favorite SL--Vetiver Oriental.
    --Chris
    Same here, its soft Dior Hommesque elements temper vetiver's rooty-tooty quality and make VO the only Vetiver frag I truly love.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockford
    A couple of other Serge Lutens fragrances that are very masculine, very beautiful, and also have good longevity are Fumerie Turque and Chene. At this time, I have decants of both of these fragrances, and I am seriously considering purchasing bottles of each. It should be pointed out that Chene is almost completely wood, wood, and more wood. Fortunately, it is a very beautiful wood.
    Man, how could I forget Chene on my exclusive line list? Oak, oak, oak, semi-sweet, oak sappy oak. I wore a bit from a sample to work last week and my rather attractive coworker came to my office and said, "what's that smell? what are you wearing today? smells very manly."

I still say Fumerie

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB
    My personal favorite is Daim Blond, but Chergui and Gris Clair are close behind. If you want something lighter and greener, Douce Amere. I wish I had the temerity to wear Miel de Bois, but alas, I haven't worked up the nerve!
    OK, so I went out and bought Miel de Bois. I'll wear it sometime this weekend.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

I found Miel de Bois a little too powdery for my tastes (and not as vile as some people made out), just like Vetyver Oriental.

Personally, FT and Daim Blond are wonderful.

There isn't 'a' finest Serge Lutens. My tops are Fumerie Turque, Encens et Lavande, Iris Silver Mist (which I can't wear myself-too masc.) and Un Lys(which is total fem.)
    I'm convinced most people who love Chergui just haven't had a shot at FT. And most people haven't tried EeL or ISM cuz they're exclusive and can be hard to get, otherwise everyone would love them and sing their praises non-stop. Surely this is true, or is the whole world mad?

It's a rationalization I find quite comforting, like the one about thunder being God bowling.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrax
    Chergui baby!!! Chergui all the way!!!
    And the church says AMEN!!!!
    There is no Nose....

I recently acquired Chene from a blind buy and I must say that I've found a new favorite SL scent. If you like EXTREMELY woody scents with only a hint of sweetness a la Gucci Pour Homme, then I'm sure you'd like Chene. But I must admit that its longevity and sillage on me are only slightly above par compared to Chergui, Fumerie Turque, etc.

Where are Daim Blond, Miel de Bois, Douce Amere, and Gris Clair available? They're not even listed on the Shiseido site.

Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB

Quote Originally Posted by keylogic
    Where are Daim Blond, Miel de Bois, Douce Amere, and Gris Clair available? They're not even listed on the Shiseido site.
    Those are all at branches of House of Fraser, or at Liberty, or Selfridges.

Miel de Bois is weird (in the wrong way) just thought i'd mention. Well to my nose anyway.

Gris Clair is great.
    My Current Top 5: Terre d'Hermès | Terre de Bois by Miller Harris | Isfarkand by Ormonde Jayne | Brit for Men by Burberry | Grapefruit by Jo Malone

Wardrobe / Reviews

They are all in the export range, not all of which are listed on the website. Don't worry about that bit. What's important is that you should be able to get these anywhere that sells SL.

Top 5 Serge Lutens for men IMO: -

(1) Fumerie Turque
    (2) MKK
    (3) Gris Clair
    (4) Amber Sultan
    (5) Daim Blond

What a diverse selection!

Oh and I just thought I would mention

Fumerie Turque >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Chergui !

Just tried Daim Blond. Too sweet and cloying for me. I prefer Cherguis mix of hay and sweets.
    -

A lot of woody scents usually end up smelling a bit like BO, especially if they have cumin. I'm wondering, does Chene come off this way or is it different?