Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: does a spray card count as a sample?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES - Quit whining, at least you got to smell it!

5 14.71%
  • NO - that's totally lame, out the bastid so I can boycott him!

29 85.29%

Default expected sample, received spraycard. kosher?

OK, so i'm really not trying to be a whiner, i'm a bit bored and thought i'd see what y'alll frag freaks think of this.

I contacted a vendor, that i think was listed on a particular fraghouse's website as USA representative. Both shall remained unnamed. I asked for a sample of a particularly hard to find (but still in production) frag. He replied "of course! I'd be glad to send you a sample!!".

So a few days later, i check the mail, and up wafts a delicious fragrance from a bubble wrap envelope. As i'm bringing it into the house, i'm feeling it up, and not detecting a vial. Huh. So i open it up and find a postcard sized business card with the scent name written on it, and scent emanating from it. not what i was hoping for -- i mean, how can you actually sample a frag, when that really implies seeing how it works on your skin, from a spray card.

now, i'm not really going to hold it against the establishment, as it could have been sent by a new employee who didn't know the ropes, or perhaps a bean counter was subbing for their fullfillment officer that day, who knows. However, if this is SOP, i'd have expected the reply to say "can't send a sample but happy to send a spray card" or "we have a sample program, please give me your CC# and $3 later you'll have a sample in the mail".

Thoughts? vote!

baald

Serpent

Default Re: expected sample, received spraycard. kosher?

Was it Frédéric Malle? They did that to me, except all the way from France. I was not amused.

Quote Originally Posted by Serpent
    Was it Frédéric Malle? They did that to me, except all the way from France. I was not amused.
    Cant be.

He said "..a few days later.." and "hard to find (but still in production).."
    -

Serpent

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp
    Cant be.

He said "..a few days later.." and "hard to find (but still in production).."
    But he contacted their American representatives, and Malle is carried only at Barney's in America. That's not a department store found in every city. It's not likely, but it's still probable.

Cheap. Just plain cheap biz practice. Drop the company a note saying you wanted a sample because you wear fragrances before deciding one way or the other. Sorry this means the scent you asked to try out won't be possible for you to consider, even though it does smell fantastic from the sprayed piece of paper.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

I voted lame!

Malle sent me two nice 2ml sprays. I was pretty psych'ed about that. I contacted them via and e-mail address found on their website.

Hugo and Lacoste, on the other hand, each sent me those postcards with the one-use, fragrance-soaked cotton pads. Not a fan of those either.

DustB - yours is a very thoughtfull response, and advice I should take.

Duojet - even a frag soaked swab would have been more usefull.

oh - it wasn't malle. And there are decants of the frag in question on this board, but they tend to be $20 decants...and i've been buying too many lately...and was *forced* to buy a new water heater yesterday...and.and.and...screw it. i should just buy one. sigh.

baald

This gives me an idea...
    I will sell spraycards to fellow BN members for 5 bucks a pop.
    I expect my PM box to get filled rather quickly

I voted lame, btw.
    Last edited by knightowl; 22nd September 2006 at 08:26 AM.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

I voted for the first option, because I never read what you said about the situation, only the poll questions. So, if this would have been in a store I wouldn't have thought twice about it. Now I want to change my vote however, that was extremely cheap.

I voted lame,they shoudn`t charge for spray cards thats just cheap.

Yep......Barneys New York did that to me and man was I pissed to hell and back..................

The individual "sandwhich bags" holding each "Malle card" had lousy seals and, obviously, during the long journey everything commingled to the point of sameness. I angrily threw the bunch into the waste basket and fired off a very unflattering message......COMPLETELY Unacceptable and petty..........

Suffice to say, they're off my Christmas list...............

Noticed not too long ago that they're charging $70.00 for 10ml refills.
    WHAT A JOKE....!!!

disaster to the wench!

Someone who sends spraying cards is cheap and doesn't show class. For a company to do so is just lousy. Cheap, that's what is is!